PDA

View Full Version : Album art

test

sup_fan
08-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Image has always been a huge part of the appeal of the Sup and/or Diana. Some have even accused Motown of simply using lp's as a convenient form of advertising an act rather than putting serious effort into creating artistic content on the vinyl

an in some of the expanded editions and in Randy's most recent Diana book, George talks a bit about how some of the artwork changed.

So what were the best/your favorite album artwork? which were least? which could have been improved and how?

reese
08-28-2018, 03:59 PM
Two of my favorite Supremes covers are I HEAR A SYMPHONY and CREAM OF THE CROP. My least favorite is probably HIGH ENERGY.

BayouMotownMan
08-28-2018, 04:06 PM
My all time favorite cover is More Hits. Runners Up? Right On, Reflections, Floy Joy, Mary Scherrie & Susaye

Least favorite cover is Jimmy Webb. Other bad ones are Magnificent 7, High Energy, Dynamite, Let The Sunshine In

sup_fan
08-28-2018, 06:36 PM
Supremes
Top ones - A Go Go, MS&S

Least:
Jimmy Webb - needed a pic of the girls
Greatest Hits 3 - looked totally cheap. there were so many photo shoot sessions from DRATS that they easily could have picked something for the back cover vs the front

Diana solo
Tops - The Boss, WDFFIL, Touch me in the morning, Diana Ross 76

least:
Ross 78 - cheap, again i hate when they just repurpose the front art for the back. lazy
Ross 83 - looks like the black Leona Helmsley. comes across as hard, mean. there are several other pics from this session that are much more appealing

questionable - Diana Ross 1970. the controversial debut cover. not sure i've ever really gotten this one. still it's memorable

Jaap
08-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Although the whole production of Ross [[1978) indeed looks cheap, I have grown fond of the album cover illustration over the years. We used the picture on a flyer of disco dj collective years ago [[in 2007), and we got a great response. People loved the picture.

lucky2012
08-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Ross 83 - looks like the black Leona Helmsley. comes across as hard, mean.

Lol. What did you think of Swept Away and Eaten Alive? Her RCA covers either were shocking or stunning, depending on your taste. Sort of like the music. Ross was definitely flexing her independence from Motown, musically and image-wise.

Greatest Hits 3 - looked totally cheap.

Agreed. Big disappointment after the beautiful blue and gold double-disc Greatest Hits. Of course, that was classic Supremes from their [[and Motown's) Golden Age and deserved deluxe packaging. Still, Volume 3 apparently sold over a million copies anyway.

TheMotownManiac
08-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Supremes Faves:
More Hits
Greatest Hits
A’ Go Go
Talk Of The Town
Touch
High Energy

Supremes Least Faves:
Together
Greatest Hits Vol 3
Magnificent 7
Jimmy Webb
Dynamite

Diana Solo Faves:
Touch Me In The Morning
Diana & Marvin
Diana Ross 1976
diana 1980
Blue

Diana Solo Least Faves:
Diana Ross 1970
Last Time I Saw Him
Baby It’s Me
Silk Electric
Eaten Alive
EveryDay Is New Day

lucky2012
08-28-2018, 07:17 PM
Although the whole production of Ross [[1978) indeed looks cheap, I have grown fond of the album cover illustration over the years. We used the picture on a flyer of disco dj collective years ago [[in 2007), and we got a great response. People loved the picture.

As you present it here, I love it, too. The [[ahem!) cigarette is not so apparent, also. What Ross songs were featured?

lucky2012
08-28-2018, 07:54 PM
Supremes Favorites:
More Hits
Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland
Greatest Hits
Love Child
Touch
Floy Joy

Supremes Least Favorites:
Sing Country-Western & Pop
We Remember Sam Cooke
Sing and Perform Funny Girl

Could have been improved: New Ways [[cover should have just been the gorgeous Afro/turtleneck photograph; ditch the pink gatefold with the sequins,feathers & fringes & reefer smoke)

Diana Ross Favorites:
Diana Ross [[1976)
The Boss
diana
Red Hot Rhythm & Blues
Stolen Moments

Diana Ross Least Favorites:
Swept Away
Eaten Alive
Workin' Overtime
Everyday Is A New Day

Could have been improved: Take Me Higher [[the "arty" photographs were interesting for the booklet but not necessarily for the cover; although, I think I get the connection between the cover and the title and theme of "take me higher". I just wanted a cover that let you know that this was a new and significant Diana Ross​ album).

vgalindo
08-28-2018, 10:17 PM
My favorite Supremes
Greatest Hits
More Hits
Cream of the Crop
Talk of the town
Where did our love go
Mary, Sherrie, Susaye

Least favorites
Let the sunshine in
Jimmy Webb
Love Child

Favorite Diana Ross
Last time I saw him
The Boss
Everything is Everything
Ross 83
Silk Electric
Diana 1980
Diana Ross Greatest hits 1976
Diana Ross 1976

Least favorite Diana Ross
Diana Ross 1970
Surrender
Ross 78
Everyday is a new day

Ollie9
08-29-2018, 06:33 AM
i like most of the cover art for Supremes/Diana albums and for the most part most findthem really eye catching. The only ones i don't like are..

1.Swept Away. To much eye makeup. Don't get me started on the hair.
2. Eaten Alive. Diana looks beautiful, but with a dead animal.........Really.
3.Every Day Is A New Day. Love the album but the pic!!! Nice colours but Diana's face is to white and plastic looking.

nathanj06
08-29-2018, 07:30 AM
"Let The Sunshine In" album art was done by Dean Torrence of "Jan & Dean". It suited the times but a full body of Mary and Cindy would have been nice though they were promoting Diana of course.

phil
08-29-2018, 08:24 AM
In France we had this beautiful cover for a 60's compilation :

https://www.popsike.com/pix/20090809/350237561397.jpg

BigAl
08-29-2018, 10:46 AM
I’m surprised no one has mentioned liking Where Did Our Love Go. The composition, lighting and colors are superb. I can’t say much for Mary’s and Flo’s selection of wigs, and Flo is slightly out of focus and her face is partially obscured by Marys immense wig. Still, I think it’s a very classy cover, especially for its time.

I also liked More Hits — not so much for its somewhat pedestrian design, but because it introduced each gal as an individual, identifiying each one by her signature, and with each wearing something different.

sup_fan
08-29-2018, 10:55 AM

this does look much better. i guess what i didn't like was the cheap repeat on the back cover. really??!? there wasn't something else you could have done?

same with dynamite and Last Time. Greatest Hits 3 too. i do like the cover of Last Time though. fun, casual, playful.

sup_fan
08-29-2018, 10:56 AM
I’m surprised no one has mentioned liking Where Did Our Love Go. The composition, lighting and colors are superb. I can’t say much for Mary’s and Flo’s selection of wigs, and Flo is slightly out of focus and her face is partially obscured by Marys immense wig. Still, I think it’s a very classy cover, especially for its time.

I also liked More Hits — not so much for its somewhat pedestrian design, but because it introduced each gal as an individual, identifiying each one by her signature, and with each wearing something different.

damn! you're right lolol and that is a fav cover of mine. partially cuz it was the first album i had of the girls and would just stare at it. almost hypnotic. it was so classy. simple

BigAl
08-29-2018, 12:03 PM
Bernard "Bernie" Yeszin created scores of great, artistic album covers for Hitsville, as well as for other labels. All were very classy for the time. He designed the later company logos as well.

lucky2012
08-29-2018, 12:09 PM
^Fondly remember that name from More Hits, my very first album purchase. [[Actually, my mom bought it, at Sears Roebuck, in September 1965. She bought it for herself but it became mine when it was obvious I loved, loved, LOVED the album. It would have taken way too long to buy it on an 11 year old's allowance.)

lucky2012
08-29-2018, 12:16 PM

This. Every word.

vgalindo
08-29-2018, 10:14 PM

I love the "Where did our love go" album cover. I listed above as a favorite.