PDA

View Full Version : What if Diana Ross Had Not Been Dropped?

test

marv2
08-27-2018, 11:13 PM
By the end of the 80s just about every Diana Ross album released in the U.S. tanked. Motown was under new management and had lost interest in promoting Diana Ross. She was no longer a player when it came to selling records so around 2000 Motown dropped her. What if they hadn't? Would she had been able to continue as a recording artist there? Who would want to work with her with most recent albums not doing too good?

Boogiedown
08-27-2018, 11:26 PM
You're so bad!!! 😝

marv2
08-27-2018, 11:50 PM
You're so bad!!! ��

Uh,uh. I think this is a thread we ought to have and discuss. I mean Diana Ross' last single to scrape the Billboard Top 100 was 1985' "Chain Reaction" that peaked at #95. After that? Zilch!

Boogiedown
08-27-2018, 11:52 PM
Wow that is bad . Can that be true? I gotta look that up!!!

marv2
08-28-2018, 12:00 AM
Wow that is bad . Can that be true? I gotta look that up!!!

It is most definitely true! Look it up. I'll give you a headstart LOL!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Ross_discography

marv2
08-28-2018, 12:01 AM
For some reason, she just couldn't cut the mustard after the mid 80s. Some say her voice really weakened. Others insisted that her music was just too bland to believe. I don't know. Thoughts?

Bluebrock
08-28-2018, 02:30 AM
For some reason, she just couldn't cut the mustard after the mid 80s. Some say her voice really weakened. Others insisted that her music was just too bland to believe. I don't know. Thoughts?
And others continued to buy her music by the bucketload overseas. Thoughts?

florence
08-28-2018, 06:16 AM
Yes, The Force Behind The Power album was her biggest selling studio album in the UK [[500k+) in the 90s twice as much as diana!.

When You Tell Me That You Love Me was the 17th biggest selling single of 1991 in the UK and If We Hold On Together made the top 100 biggest sellers of 1992.

Only a minor point but Chain Reaction actually reached #66 in the Top 100 in 1986 in the US.

PeaceNHarmony
08-28-2018, 08:10 AM
And others continued to buy her music by the bucketload overseas. Thoughts?
I think it was just a matter of oversaturation here in the USA marketplace after decades of of huge hits, endless awards and one sell-out tour after another. The overseas markets were not fortunate to have had quite as much Diana Ross as we did in the states! Also I think the various non-USA radio markets are more ballad-friendly; of course they also may have simply had programmers with better taste than here in the USA!

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 08:44 AM
I had to unblock the op's post in order to read it. Was curious about the question. Now I see it's an attempt to mirror the discussion about Mary being dropped from the label in another thread. The problem with trying to have the same discussion about two different people is that their exits from Motown came at two very different times in their lives. Mary Wilson was booted out of Motown at a point in her career where the sky should have been the limit. The Supremes [[should have been) a few years behind her, she was gorgeous, she was talented, she was charismatic, she was Supreme in every way, yet she hadn't had a chance to prove herself as a solo artist. Her first solo album clearly wasn't the artistic direction she probably wanted to go in and most of us fans don't think she should have gone in. Most fans agree that the four Dudgeon demos were exactly where Mary should've been headed, and a completed project with full label support would have in all likelihood propelled Mary into her first solo success. She was still a young woman, so it was an interesting discussion to have about where she would have gone with Motown had she been allowed to stick around because there were so many possibilities.

On the other hand, trying to have the same discussion about Diana Ross just comes across strange. For one, when Motown dropped her Diana Ross was in her 50s and was a firmly established legend, outside of her shared legendary status as a Supreme. She had racked up tons of hit singles and albums, had multiple sold out tours, successful movies, lauded television specials. She was an icon. Where exactly in the 2000s was her musical legacy supposed to go? Had she not been dropped it's possible she would have continued to release albums that weren't competing nor keeping up with the general public's taste, like 99 percent of her age group recording artists. Maybe she would have found something to hit upon. Maybe she would have eventually hooked up with an artist with a fresher sound, like Aretha did in the late 90s when she hooked up with Lauryn Hill. I suspect she would've created a few more albums like Aretha's So Damn Happy, In and Out of Love and Diva Classics...albums that make a brief noise because of the legend they're attached to, but ultimately do nothing to advance nor destroy the legacy of the icon. Kind of like what happened when Diana did I Love You.

Mary Wilson in the 80s when she was dropped from the label was a young, vibrant woman with her whole life ahead of her, career wise, and with something to prove. Diana Ross in the early 2000s was a middle aged legendary entertainer who was as much at home in the home with her family as she was on stage, who didn't have a damn thing to prove to anyone. She's spent the 2000s receiving high honors, including the Medal of Freedom, and enjoying her children and grandchildren.

Discussing these two great women in the same way doesn't work because we're not talking about comparable factors. Perhaps a more interesting thread would've been what, if anything, would have been different had Mary signed with Motown after the old guard had changed? At that point it doesn't seem like there would be anyone left at the company who held a grudge against Mary for anything, so it's possible that we not only could've gotten some quality product from her in the 90s, but also maybe seen Mary finally make even a little bit of noise on the charts? Something to ponder.

LoveSupreme
08-28-2018, 09:17 AM
Oh lord. He's just having a hissy-fit because of the "What if Mary Wilson Had Not Been Dropped" thread.

So petty. So obvious....and oh so predictable.

SAD!

sup_fan
08-28-2018, 10:35 AM
do a Wikipedia search on Motown. reason i state this is because what the F is motown even really doing today? or in the 00's? it's not like it's a significant label the current popular music realm.

Smokey also left the label, as did the Tempatations. Diana is hardly alone in this regards

BayouMotownMan
08-28-2018, 11:57 AM
By the end of the 80s just about every Diana Ross album released in the U.S. tanked. Motown was under new management and had lost interest in promoting Diana Ross. She was no longer a player when it came to selling records so around 2000 Motown dropped her. What if they hadn't? Would she had been able to continue as a recording artist there? Who would want to work with her with most recent albums not doing too good?

Wrong as usual Marv. Chain Reaction was reissued and made it up to No. 66 on the Billboard Pop Charts. Her last studio lp I Love You made it to a respectable No. 32. These are numbers Mary would have killed for.

She was not dropped from Motown. When Gordy sold the company he saw to it that Ross, Robinson, Wonder and the Tempts stayed for as long as they wanted to. Ross left because she knew they were not interested in her or the other veteran artists so it was more a mutual decision.

Diana Ross is an icon. She has nothing to prove. She performs major venues and does not need a hit record. Her situation is vastly different than Mary Wilson's; Ross performs because she wants to. Wilson performs because she HAS to.

Diana Ross has a huge fan base and does not have to cater to overly zealous fanatics who snap flashes of her while performing even though they were warned before the show not to do so. Sound familiar? She does not have to make sure there is proper security before she entertains signing a photo for mentally ill fans like Mary does. She suffers no fools and cares not about a bitter, lonely loser who obviously has a loose pebble on his beach. She lets her former background singers entertain those people.

sup_fan
08-28-2018, 12:10 PM
also if Diana wanted to record a major album, she would. but not only does that require an incredible amount of work with planning, production and recording, it also then requires a ton of promotional work. tv appearances, tours, etc. The woman is 74 years old and has other priorities. She adores spending time with her children, grandchildren and family. And she can occasionally do some short tours where she simply enjoys performing from her immense catalog. This enables her to keep on stage and sing, which she loves.

this is her version of a retired professional that might do a little consulting work post-retirement simply to keep at it and have something meaningful to do now and then

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Smokey also left the label, as did the Tempatations. Diana is hardly alone in this regards

Actually the Tempatations auditioned for Motown in the 60s, the 70s, the 80s and then again in the 90s, and were turned down each time. I think one of the books reports that the group was set to audition in 2000 but shortly before the audition one was hit by a bus and killed, one was arrested for drug possession, and another member lost his leg to diabetic complications. After that, the other two decided Motown wasn't worth the hassle and gave it up. There was talk of a reunion tour early this year, along with Shantel and Kaaren, and there were negotiations for performances all around the country at various Toys R Us locations and they were set to film an episode of the second season of the Roseanne reboot...but you can guess what happened to those plans. Toys R Us closed and Roseanne was cancelled. The Tempatations just can't seem to catch a break.:p

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 01:58 PM
Diana Ross has a huge fan base and does not have to cater to overly zealous fanatics who snap flashes of her while performing even though they were warned before the show not to do so. Sound familiar? She does not have to make sure there is proper security before she entertains signing a photo for mentally ill fans like Mary does. She suffers no fools and cares not about a bitter, lonely loser who obviously has a loose pebble on his beach. She lets her former background singers entertain those people.

Somehow I doubt the statement in bold. If this forum is of any evidence, it's that neither Mary nor Diana are short of psychotic fans. That is definitely one category that Ross cannot be elevated above Mary. They are sitting on that thrown together.

thanxal
08-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Actually the Tempatations auditioned for Motown in the 60s, the 70s, the 80s and then again in the 90s, and were turned down each time. I think one of the books reports that the group was set to audition in 2000 but shortly before the audition one was hit by a bus and killed, one was arrested for drug possession, and another member lost his leg to diabetic complications. After that, the other two decided Motown wasn't worth the hassle and gave it up. There was talk of a reunion tour early this year, along with Shantel and Kaaren, and there were negotiations for performances all around the country at various Toys R Us locations and they were set to film an episode of the second season of the Roseanne reboot...but you can guess what happened to those plans. Toys R Us closed and Roseanne was cancelled. The Tempatations just can't seem to catch a break.:p
Ran, I very literally lol'd on this one. You're too funny.

PeaceNHarmony
08-28-2018, 02:40 PM
Wrong as usual Marv. Chain Reaction was reissued and made it up to No. 66 on the Billboard Pop Charts. Her last studio lp I Love You made it to a respectable No. 32. These are numbers Mary would have killed for.

She was not dropped from Motown. When Gordy sold the company he saw to it that Ross, Robinson, Wonder and the Tempts stayed for as long as they wanted to. Ross left because she knew they were not interested in her or the other veteran artists so it was more a mutual decision.

Diana Ross is an icon. She has nothing to prove. She performs major venues and does not need a hit record. Her situation is vastly different than Mary Wilson's; Ross performs because she wants to. Wilson performs because she HAS to.

Well stated all around.

pghmusiclover
08-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Agreed — well stated Bayou! While I read in the past SOMEONE used backing tracks instead of a band! Oh and WHERE ​is that “forthcoming” album?

Diana is a legend. Mary sadly is not [[except in the mind of one delusional fan here)...

PeaceNHarmony
08-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Agreed — well stated Bayou! While I read in the past SOMEONE used backing tracks instead of a band! Oh and WHERE ​is that “forthcoming” album?

Diana is a legend. Mary sadly is not [[except in the mind of one delusional fan here)...
I have one major disagreement - there are 3-4 delusional fans here who Wilson is a SUPASTAH!

marv2
08-28-2018, 05:06 PM
I think "Muscles" was Diane's last song that made any real noise way back in 1982. But that was all Michael Jackson and without his sound and production, it would have also fallen flat. Just like Diane singing Chic's songs. It sounded like "Diana Ross Does Chic". It became real clear to me and a lot of others that she truly was just an instrument of whatever producer or writers that were working with her at the time. She had no real sound or innate ability of her own. Sad........

sup_fan
08-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Here are the singles that ranked Top 10 on at least 1 format or major chart. Clearly she's had more success in the US Dance and R&B markets than the traditional US pop.

All of You - #2 US Adult Contemporary, #19 Pop
Swept Away - #1 US Dance, #19 Pop, #3 R&B
Missing You - #1 R&B, #4 Adult Cont, #10 Pop
Eaten Alive #3 Dance, #10 R&B
Chain Reaction - #1 UK
Workin Overtime - #3 R&B
No Matter What you Do - #4 R&B
If We Hold On Together - #1 Japan
When You tell me you love me - #2 UK
One Shining Moment - #10 UK
Take me higher - #1 US Dance
Until we meet again - #2 US Dance
Not over you yet - #9 UK

sup_fan
08-28-2018, 06:31 PM
and regarding your comment that she lacks a real sound - that frankly is about the most ignorant thing that's been posted on here. you're totally fine with identifying that her sound is not one you favor. but her unique sound is what set her and the Supremes apart. She absolutely has a unique sound

Roberta75
08-28-2018, 08:36 PM

Amen. Preach my friend.

marv2
08-28-2018, 09:05 PM
Then she started making what I call "Creature Feature" music that made no sense like "Pieces of Ice". No one liked or wanted that record. She was killing her own record career with no outside help. She had already murdered her reputation and image with the public with her antics such as how she acted at "Motown 25". I'm guessing if she had been at least nicer, Motown may have kept her around a few more years before putting her out to pasture. She could have acted as a mentor/consultant to new, hotter upcoming stars at Motown.

marv2
08-28-2018, 09:10 PM
Here are the singles that ranked Top 10 on at least 1 format or major chart. Clearly she's had more success in the US Dance and R&B markets than the traditional US pop.

All of You - #2 US Adult Contemporary, #19 Pop
Swept Away - #1 US Dance, #19 Pop, #3 R&B
Missing You - #1 R&B, #4 Adult Cont, #10 Pop
Eaten Alive #3 Dance, #10 R&B
Chain Reaction - #1 UK
Workin Overtime - #3 R&B
No Matter What you Do - #4 R&B
If We Hold On Together - #1 Japan
When You tell me you love me - #2 UK
One Shining Moment - #10 UK
Take me higher - #1 US Dance
Until we meet again - #2 US Dance
Not over you yet - #9 UK

That's nice, but how many of those were in the U.S. and after 1985? I would see if she were selling the types of numbers that Michael Jackson was in foreign markets, but she wasn't. That would have been impossible for her to do and after reading all of these articles about how The Eagles Greatest Hits album is now bigger than Michael's "Thriller" in the U.S. it makes me believe that to some, the U.S. market is all that really counts.

marv2
08-28-2018, 09:14 PM
and regarding your comment that she lacks a real sound - that frankly is about the most ignorant thing that's been posted on here. you're totally fine with identifying that her sound is not one you favor. but her unique sound is what set her and the Supremes apart. She absolutely has a unique sound

Diana Ross is like a chameleon, a thing. She sounds like whatever her producers tell her to sound like. She can sound like a Bee Gee, a member of Chic or like Michael Jackson's backup singer if he's producing her. She has no one distinct sound. Her voice was like a novelty voice in the sixties. Motown needed that because there was so much competition for radio airplay. Millie Small, Little Eva and Ronnie Bennett-Spector had those novelty sounding voices and it only worked when the material was crafted especially for them. Diane falls within that group.

marv2
08-28-2018, 09:22 PM
A friend of mine that was working for Motown during the period of when they dropped Ross from their roster told me that they were hemorrhaging money on just the packaging and distribution of Ross' material alone. Money was going out and sales were not coming in. Even Queen Latifah was outselling Diane by then. It also did not help when word got back about how Ross was badmouthing the management at Motown. Some of the execs. at Motown by that time were just very young when Diane left the company to go to RCA and they remember how badly she treated them and disrespected them. It all came back to bite her in the ass when she returned.

BayouMotownMan
08-28-2018, 09:23 PM
Diana Ross is like a chameleon, a thing. She sounds like whatever her producers tell her to sound like. She can sound like a Bee Gee, a member of Chic or like Michael Jackson's backup singer if he's producing her. She has no one distinct sound. Her voice was like a novelty voice in the sixties. Motown needed that because there was so much competition for radio airplay. Millie Small, Little Eva and Ronnie Bennett-Spector had those novelty sounding voices and it only worked when the material was crafted especially for them. Diane falls within that group.

What a stupid observation Marv. Diana Ross has sold over 200 million records worldwide, named Entertainer of the 20th Century by Billboard Magazine, Is listed in the Guiness Book and has one of the most recognizable voices on radio around the world. And she has no distinct sound? I guess you'd say Aretha didn't have one either.

Mary Wilson has never reached the 10,000 sales mark on any and all of her releases. Now THAT is what you call no distinct sound.

Is there never an end to you making a fool of yourself? Calling her Diane like you really know her. Mary Wilson barely knows you and will only tolerate you after a show if there is security.

marv2
08-28-2018, 10:11 PM
Then to make matters worse, she spent a couple of years trying to kiss Clive Davis butt and he wasn't having it. He had a hard time telling her that telling her that after working with real singers like Aretha, Dionne and Whitney that he wasn't interested in signing her. Then, she goes on ET around 2004 complaining about how she doesn't have a record deal and no one wants to sign her. I wonder why Diane? duh! LOL!!!!

DMCFAN
08-28-2018, 10:49 PM
But she's still in demand and sells out - go figure. Can you imagine if she did a show at Westbury???

milven
08-28-2018, 10:56 PM
then to make matters worse, she spent a couple of years trying to kiss clive davis butt and he wasn't having it. He had a hard time telling her that telling her that after working with real singers like aretha, dionne and whitney that he wasn't interested in signing her. Then, she goes on et around 2004 complaining about how she doesn't have a record deal and no one wants to sign her. I wonder why diane? Duh! Lol!!!!

sad.......

Roberta75
08-28-2018, 11:06 PM
Then to make matters worse, she spent a couple of years trying to kiss Clive Davis butt and he wasn't having it. He had a hard time telling her that telling her that after working with real singers like Aretha, Dionne and Whitney that he wasn't interested in signing her. Then, she goes on ET around 2004 complaining about how she doesn't have a record deal and no one wants to sign her. I wonder why Diane? duh! LOL!!!!

You get sicker and sicker with every passing day. Im real happy Diana Ross has got herself surrounded with great security because with fanatics like you stalking her online 24/t she doesnt need enemies. Please see a proffessional and get some help.

marv2
08-28-2018, 11:24 PM
sad.......

I know right? What did she expect to happen after dissing Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong and that disastrous Return to Love Tour. No wonder she ended up in rehab.

DMCFAN
08-28-2018, 11:27 PM
So you live in her past. Right?

milven
08-29-2018, 12:04 AM
I know right? What did she expect to happen after dissing Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong and that disastrous Return to Love Tour....

I guess I expected to much after the Return to Love Tour of almost twenty years ago. Thats my bad. I thought that she would have a very successful touring career, where she sold out , appeared at prestigious venues like the Hollywood Bowl, received numberous prestigious awards like BET Lifetime Achievement Award, honored at the Kennedy Center, a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, a Presidential Medal of Freedom, an AMA Lifetime Achievement Award, maybe even get two number one hits in a row on the Billboard Dance Charts.

But I set my expectations too high. There was just no way that she could have met my high expections at this late stage of her career. As I said, that's my bad.

Then, too, there's also the fact that she is not attractive and has no singing voice to speak of [[ or sing of) as you pointed out elsewhere.

What was I ever thinking to expect anything productive from her after not including Mary and Cindy in the RTL tour after Mary passed it up

mowsville
08-29-2018, 05:16 AM
Theres one thing i dont understand MARV....what actually FIRST turned you on to the Supremes ...was it the ooh and ahhhs and baby baby's of the backing singers???????.

Ollie9
08-29-2018, 06:16 AM
Marv will continue to fish as long as there are enough fishes around that take the bait lol.:rolleyes:

Jimi LaLumia
08-29-2018, 12:20 PM
I haven't read the above stuff, but Diana Ross just went to #1 on a Billboard chart [[Dance/Club) twice in the past two years; the closest any other Supremes get to a Billboard chart these days is by holding the magazine in their hands and fantasizing...justsayin...

RanRan79
08-29-2018, 01:07 PM
Ran, I very literally lol'd on this one. You're too funny.

Thanks, Thanx!!;) It's good to bring some levity to some of these silly threads that people take so personally.

RanRan79
08-29-2018, 01:10 PM
Marv will continue to fish as long as there are enough fishes around that take the bait lol.:rolleyes:

Ollie say it again for the folks in the back, because I'm pretty sure they didn't hear you. This is so ridiculous.

gordy_hunk
08-29-2018, 01:31 PM
Whilst the chart placings in the US may have dried up over the years, here in the UK, Diana Ross has continued to have entries on both the LP and singles charts. For example:

Working overtime [[LP) - chart placing 23 - designated silver disc
Force behind the power [[LP) - 11 - platinum disc
Take me higher [[LP) - 10
The number 1's [[LP) - 15 - gold
Voice of love - 42 - silver
40 Golden greats - 35 - gold
Love and life - 28 - gold
The greatest - 24 - silver

Singles - these are NOT all of the chart entries:
Chain reaction - number 1 - gold disc [[again entered the charts in 1993, reaching 20)
Working overtime - 32
When you tell me you love me - 2 [[and again in 2005, reaching number 2)
Best years of my life - 28
Take me higher - 32
Gone - 36
I will survive - 14
Your love - 14
Force behind the power - 27
One shining moment - 10
Not over you yet - 9

Diana is not my favourite, and although I have seen her in concert, she isn't for me, as good as Martha, Edwin Starr, Mary Wilson - but that's purely a personal view, and I know many on here will be shocked that I rate other acts above her. But there can be no argument or dispute, that she is quite clearly the most successful artist that emerged from Motown during the Motown era and has remained successful since leaving. When she visits the UK, her shows are always sell out, in large venues.

With the exception of Stevie Wonder and Lionel Richie, I'm not sure which other act [[internationally) has had the massive amount of success that Diana has had, and continues to have to this year. I'd still argue that Diana still sells more records than either Stevie or Lionel [[or any other former Motown act) and fills stadiums when she performs, more than any of the others. [[Naturally I am excluding Michael Jackson!)

PeaceNHarmony
08-29-2018, 02:02 PM
I haven't read the above stuff, but Diana Ross just went to #1 on a Billboard chart [[Dance/Club) twice in the past two years; the closest any other Supremes get to a Billboard chart these days is by holding the magazine in their hands and fantasizing...justsayin...
Not to mention the sold-out tours that people actually paid to see but I digress ... it was great fun to see Diana back on the charts, wasn't it?! Even if just remixes. I also seeing Aretha's 30-Greatest set on the BB album charts - a great tribute to another lasting talent.

jobucats
08-29-2018, 02:39 PM
Calling her Diane like you really know her. Mary Wilson barely knows you and will only tolerate you after a show if there is security.

BayouMotownMan, I almost fell on the floor laughing at that because I was visualizing a scenario of him walking up to Mary after a show, and Mary calling out, "Se-cuur-ity! Se-cuur-ity!"

pghmusiclover
08-29-2018, 03:07 PM
Not to mention the sold-out tours that people actually paid to see but I digress ... it was great fun to see Diana back on the charts, wasn't it?! Even if just remixes. I also seeing Aretha's 30-Greatest set on the BB album charts - a great tribute to another lasting talent.

You just wait! When Mary releases her “forthcoming album” it will be burning up the charts!

marv2
08-29-2018, 06:06 PM
With Diana Ross' situation being so dire at Motown towards the end with their absolute refusal to release anymore new albums on her, maybe should could have worked out a deal to release her music on "Rosstown Records". Remember that? She probably could have had her Rosstown records release while still under Motown or something. I don't think she ever released anything on that label or has she?

TheMotownManiac
08-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Why, on God’s good earth, would anyone want to cut mustard and even if they did, how hard would it be - mustard is very soft.

marv2
08-29-2018, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know if being dropped by Motown caused Diana Ross to become a full blown alcoholic?

BayouMotownMan
08-29-2018, 08:11 PM
I don't know, did Motown dropping Mary Wilson turn her into a coke head?

TheMotownManiac
08-29-2018, 08:21 PM
Does anyone if being dropped by Motown caused Diana Ross to become a full blown alcoholic?

Well, I can see why you might draw that conclusion after Mary was diahreahed by Motown and became a coke head, but Diana’s drinking problem began with her hormone-less menopause therapy and end of her marriage. Motown and Ross parted ways during this bad spell - although I doubt that it helped. Remember, her career has always come second to her kids and she was losing interest when the boys were born.

‘It’s nice to see that both ladies seem to have conquered their substance issues - although Mary still has quite a fondness for the grape - especially when someone else is buying. LOL!!!!

marv2
08-29-2018, 08:26 PM
Couldn't she find someone, anyone to produce and record her in the last 18 years? After all she is the great, big Diana Ross diva! LOL!!!!!

BayouMotownMan
08-29-2018, 09:28 PM
Shouldn't you be scoffing down some grub at a local buffet?

marv2
08-29-2018, 09:47 PM
If Motown had not dropped Diana Ross, she would have to had to done much more of her own promotional work like at shopping malls, NASCAR races, senior citizens centers etc to get the word out about her product. Motown was done spending promotional dollars on her stuff here in the U.S. She could have funded her own Infomercial with psychics that could have taken turns trying to predict when she would have another hit in America! hehehehehehehehe!

milven
08-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Marv, It seems that you are back in full form of instigating members on this site by badmouthing Motown artists. There is not much that we can do about it as Ralph seems to tolerate your rants

it is obvious from your recent posts that you have not been taking your meds. See your doctor and get your levels checked. You may have to up your meds to get back in balance.

Until then, I hope that Ralph steps in and at least controls you on this site. Then we will ask him if their is any way that he can control the guy in the White House

Roberta75
08-29-2018, 10:02 PM
If Motown had not dropped Diana Ross, she would have to had to done much more of her own promotional work like at shopping malls, NASCAR races, senior citizens centers etc to get the word out about her product. Motown was done spending promotional dollars on her stuff here in the U.S. She could have funded her own Infomercial with psychics that could have taken turns trying to predict when she would have another hit in America! hehehehehehehehe!

When Diana Ross had her security remove you from that Denver concert in the 1980s she probably had no idea youd become her most deranged and obsessed online stalker. You spend every waking moment trashing her and lying and fabricating stories about her and fantasizing about her proffessional demise. Truthfully I personnally feel real sorry for you because you are a sick attention seeking and friendless and desperate and lonely old man. Diana aint thinking about you so give it a rest and enjoy your Golden years cause they go in real quick.

marv2
08-29-2018, 10:19 PM
Maybe Motown could have put out a comedy album by Diana Ross since all of her releases since the mid 80s were jokes! LOL!!!! She could have gotten a hit at least on Comedy Central.

BayouMotownMan
08-29-2018, 10:22 PM
Wonderfully said Roberta and milven. I told this guy years ago on the old aol boards he terrorized that he needed to start having relations with real people, not inflatable ones.

DMCFAN
08-29-2018, 10:48 PM
It's obvious that he's trying to get things riled up about Diana to get people off focus about the Imagine video - also this separate DR&S was set up to try & rail in these types incendiary comments, but leadership doesn't care & gives him full reign

TheMotownManiac
08-30-2018, 03:23 AM

her first album after the mid 80’s wasn’t just bland - it was a hot mess.
The next featured a #3 R&B single and overseas hit.
The next went good/silver/platinum/multi -platinum in many countries with various hit singles in various countries.
‘The next featured a hit Euro-single, #1 Dance hit and critical wows.
The next featured another hit Euro-single, #2 dance hit
the next was the #1 highest charting debut album of the week.

Not it as good as before, but still there are positives.

PeaceNHarmony
08-30-2018, 05:57 AM
Well, I can see why you might draw that conclusion after Mary was diahreahed by Motown and became a coke head, but Diana’s drinking problem began with her hormone-less menopause therapy and end of her marriage. Motown and Ross parted ways during this bad spell - although I doubt that it helped. Remember, her career has always come second to her kids and she was losing interest when the boys were born.

‘It’s nice to see that both ladies seem to have conquered their substance issues - although Mary still has quite a fondness for the grape - especially when someone else is buying. LOL!!!!
Wilson's demands for backstage wine are well known indeed.

PeaceNHarmony
08-30-2018, 05:58 AM
Wonderfully said Roberta and milven. I told this guy years ago on the old aol boards he terrorized that he needed to start having relations with real people, not inflatable ones.
An inflatable Mary Wilson 'friend'! Now there's a marketing idea!

TomatoTom123
08-30-2018, 12:50 PM
You know what I think would have been real funny... and I know it's silly and hypocritical of me to say... if no one had replied to this thread at all :rolleyes:

Boogiedown
08-30-2018, 01:21 PM
You know what I think would have been real funny... and I know it's silly and hypocritical of me to say... if no one had replied to this thread at all :rolleyes:

They haven't. The original post asks what would have happened had Diana stayed with Motown and who might've worked with her to finally bring her the renewed success that had alluded her since the mid-eighties.

Boogiedown
08-30-2018, 02:39 PM
One answer might be Lionel Richie since he delivered Diana her biggest hit ever as well as her last Top Ten Billboard hit.
He wasn't with Motown then but working under that banner might've boosted his lagging career too.

Bit of a Hail Mary , but who knows .

Couldn't hurt!

PeaceNHarmony
08-30-2018, 03:01 PM
No, Tom, it's the perfect answer!

Boogiedown
08-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Says someone who's posted on it eight times! Lol!
This place is hilarious!

marv2
08-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Maybe Motown could have sent Diane Ross out on the road as just a touring act opening for stars like Queen Latifah or Boys II Men. She could explain to the crowds who she is and all about the Supremes in the 60s, then do her 25 min. set.

marv2
08-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Motown could have agreed to just let Diane write and produce herself, similar to Carol King.

milven
08-30-2018, 07:35 PM
Maybe Motown could have sent Diane Ross out on the road as just a touring act opening for stars like Queen Latifah or Boys II Men. She could explain to the crowds who she is and all about the Supremes in the 60s, then do her 25 min. set.

Do you think "explaining to crowds who she is" would be enough? Maybe she would have to use the Supreme billing in her name, something like "diana ross of THE SUPREMES".

And she could start giving interviews and talk about the group, repeating the same stories. The Supreme Legacy would keep her alive and her name in the public.

And who knows? If she keeps doing it, she may get a few decent bookings and keep her career alive for a few more years.

Can't hurt.

Diana thanks you for the helpful suggestion

PeaceNHarmony
08-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Do you think "explaining to crowds who she is" would be enough? Maybe she would have to use the Supreme billing in her name, something like "diana ross of THE SUPREMES".

And she could start giving interviews and talk about the group, repeating the same stories. The Supreme Legacy would keep her alive and her name in the public.

And who knows? If she keeps doing it, she may get a few decent bookings and keep her career alive for a few more years.

Can't hurt.

Diana thanks you for the helpful suggestion
Funny - love it!

marv2
08-30-2018, 10:38 PM
If Diana Ross had not been dropped by Motown, maybe they could have cut a Halloween album on her and hope for annual sales around October 31 each year.

LoveSupreme
09-08-2018, 03:00 AM
If Diana Ross had not been dropped by Motown, maybe they could have cut a Halloween album on her and hope for annual sales around October 31 each year.