PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross - "I'll Keep My Light in My Window" SOLO

test

sansradio
08-27-2018, 05:49 PM
The "Diana Ross Fan Club" does it again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfF62XxtXvs

captainjames
08-27-2018, 10:08 PM
That is actually kind of nice.

Ollie9
08-28-2018, 05:47 AM
I was very excited to hear this as i love the duet version. Alas, from the first note i went off it in a big way. The key Diana is singing in is way to high making it sound like she is straining to hit the notes. This has to be a rough demo. Reminded me of her 60's version of "Over The Rainbow". I can see why it was kept underwraps.......Good to hear all the same.

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 09:05 AM
I was very excited to hear this as i love the duet version. Alas, from the first note i went off it in a big way. The key Diana is singing in is way to high making it sound like she is straining to hit the notes. This has to be a rough demo. Reminded me of her 60's version of "Over The Rainbow". I can see why it was kept underwraps.......Good to hear all the same.

I read your post before I listened to the song and I was all set to cringe. I had "Over the Rainbow" on a bootleg before it was ever officially released and I wanted to strangle somebody for giving that song to Diana, or at least for cutting it in that key. I thought Florence would've been a better fit for it. Then when it was finally released after being cleaned up, it sounded slightly better, but it was still clear that it was out of Diana's range and I still thought Flo should've done it. So when I read you critiquing that "Window" sounds like she's straining like "Rainbow", I went "uh oh". Lol But I disagree. I didn't think she sounded like she was straining at all. I loved it from start to finish.

I know Ross 78 is supposed to come up next at some point, but I hope an expanded version of Diana and Marvin is on the agenda. I want to hear the solo versions of these duets. I'd love for this version of "Window" to be cleaned up. Can't wait to hear what Marvin did with it.

lucky2012
08-28-2018, 09:42 AM
I like it. Sometimes, like here, when she sings in a higher key she sounds amazing and natural. She reaches the notes easily and with grace here. This must have been recorded in the mid 70's [[?) but she sounds like she did in the mid 60's with The Supremes, when her voice was fresh and appealing and helped sell millions of records. I can just picture her with Mary and Flo singing this on some 60's TV show.

Ollie9
08-28-2018, 09:51 AM
I read your post before I listened to the song and I was all set to cringe. I had "Over the Rainbow" on a bootleg before it was ever officially released and I wanted to strangle somebody for giving that song to Diana, or at least for cutting it in that key. I thought Florence would've been a better fit for it. Then when it was finally released after being cleaned up, it sounded slightly better, but it was still clear that it was out of Diana's range and I still thought Flo should've done it. So when I read you critiquing that "Window" sounds like she's straining like "Rainbow", I went "uh oh". Lol But I disagree. I didn't think she sounded like she was straining at all. I loved it from start to finish.

I know Ross 78 is supposed to come up next at some point, but I hope an expanded version of Diana and Marvin is on the agenda. I want to hear the solo versions of these duets. I'd love for this version of "Window" to be cleaned up. Can't wait to hear what Marvin did with it.

Admittidely it is not as bad as "Over The Rainbow" but to my ears Diana's voice does not sound comfortable here, ie as though singing to high. I think it would have sounded better in a slightly lower key and can understand why it has never seen the light of day.
Although i have never thought of it as being a great album, i really hope "Ross" is going to be chock-full full of bonus material never before released. Does anyone have any news??

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Admittidely it is not as bad as "Over The Rainbow" but to my ears Diana's voice does not sound comfortable here, ie as though singing to high. I think it would have sounded better in a slightly lower key and can understand why it has never seen the light of day.
Although i have never thought of it as being a great album, i really hope "Ross" is going to be chock-full full of bonus material never before released. Does anyone have any news??

Oh yeah, the only reason to grab Ross expanded is for the bonus stuff. The original release was a throwaway album that should have been created to be another critical smash.

midnightman
08-28-2018, 06:38 PM
It's cool but I still prefer the Marvin duet version.

Bluebrock
08-29-2018, 02:51 AM
I haven't heard anything in ages. Maybe George or Andy can inform us if this expanded version is still on the cards?

vgalindo
08-29-2018, 07:19 PM
I haven't heard anything in ages. Maybe George or Andy can inform us if this expanded version is still on the cards?
Yes I would love to have some information about Ross 78 expanded.

smallworld
08-29-2018, 07:55 PM
Those synth drum sounds date this recording to the late 1970s, no? Think "Ring My Bell" by Anita Ward, or "Feels Like I'm In Love" by Kelly Marie. It sounds like an early scratch vocal for the Pops We Love You duet.