PDA

View Full Version : The 70's Supremes : ABC Records

test

marybrewster
08-26-2018, 11:44 PM
We've all read various reports that at some point in the 70's, Jean and Lynda wanted to take the Supremes to ABC Records, but Mary didn't want to relinquish the Supremes name. Am I right so far?

So questions: was there a legit offer from ABC for the Supremes to record? Or did ABC just want to meet? Why didn't, when Jean and Lynda left the Supremes, head to ABC to strike a deal of their own? Was this deal contingent that they bring the Supremes name with them? Since Jean was still basically the lead singer of the group at this time, wouldn't her presence with Lynda still make an impact on the label even under a different name?

marv2
08-27-2018, 10:17 AM
We've all read various reports that at some point in the 70's, Jean and Lynda wanted to take the Supremes to ABC Records, but Mary didn't want to relinquish the Supremes name. Am I right so far?

So questions: was there a legit offer from ABC for the Supremes to record? Or did ABC just want to meet? Why didn't, when Jean and Lynda left the Supremes, head to ABC to strike a deal of their own? Was this deal contingent that they bring the Supremes name with them? Since Jean was still basically the lead singer of the group at this time, wouldn't her presence with Lynda still make an impact on the label even under a different name?

I only remember seeing this about ABC mentioned in print once. There was no Supremes without the name or Mary Wilson. Jean and Lynda could have went anywhere they wanted after they left the group.