PDA

View Full Version : THE SUPREMES - You Move Me!

test

marv2
08-24-2018, 11:24 PM
Another one of the Supremes best recordings from 1970:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BGLYkmlxKQ&app=desktop

daviddh
08-25-2018, 12:11 PM
one of my favorites from the Right On lp

luke
08-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Thanks. I always felt this song never got the attention it deserved. Jean is brilliant!

TheMotownManiac
08-25-2018, 01:14 PM
Stunning performance! Frank Wilson’s build if this song is genius.

luke
08-25-2018, 01:54 PM
The background vocals are sensational too. I love how Jean riffs at the end!

BayouMotownMan
08-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Frank Wilson didn't produce this, Al Kent did. This is one of Jean's best vocals and I assumed it would follow Right To Love as the next single.

I don't like the sound effects on the re-mix. When something is this glorious you preserve the integrity. No need to paint the peacock.

Even though Right On is considered part of the Frank Wilson trilogy of albums, he only produced five of the twelve cuts. Great material here by Al Kent and Clay McMurray.

blackguy69
08-25-2018, 02:54 PM
If I’m correct his was one of the first recording that Mary and Cindy did with Jean.

daviddh
08-25-2018, 07:45 PM
But I Love You More and Then I Met You are great tracks

BayouMotownMan
08-25-2018, 07:58 PM
The whole lp is great. Only song I don't care for is Baby Baby.

detmotownguy
08-25-2018, 11:47 PM
Another one of the Supremes best recordings from 1970:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BGLYkmlxKQ&app=desktop

Thanks Marv,
Jean was a fine singer and thanks for posting this gem. JMC grouping was certainly a breath of fresh air and was a very solid presentation. BTW check you email please.

daviddh
08-26-2018, 10:18 AM
this was a great album ialways thought there were a few more singles left to be mined but i would have not released Everybody.s Got The Right To Love as a single. although it was a good lp cut.

lucky2012
08-26-2018, 10:59 AM
Even though Right On is considered part of the Frank Wilson trilogy of albums, he only produced five of the twelve cuts. Great material here by Al Kent and Clay McMurray.
Didn't know that. Touch was my immediate favorite LP by JMC but Right On ranks right up alongside it now. The first four JMC albums were a very impressive start for the "new" Supremes.
"You Move Me" is a favorite. Wonderfully dynamic performance and track.
I always thought "Then We Can Try Again" should have been the second single. Its melody had some similarity to "Tighter and Tighter" by Alive & Kicking [[released around the same time in 1970), but it was different enough to have also hit the pop charts, IMO.

BayouMotownMan
08-26-2018, 03:11 PM
Didn't know that. Touch was my immediate favorite LP by JMC but Right On ranks right up alongside it now. The first four JMC albums were a very impressive start for the "new" Supremes.
I always thought "Then We Can Try Again" should have been the second single. Its melody had some similarity to "Tighter and Tighter" by Alive & Kicking [[released around the same time in 1970), but it was different enough to have also hit the pop charts, IMO.

I wanted Then We Can Try Again as the second single as well. In the vaults I"m told there is a Diana Ross lead over the same track.

sup_fan
08-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Right On is a very strong lp. And interesting there aren’t any covers Great original material

I think single 2 should have been a single mix of Loving Country

IMO Everybody is the weakest track. Just sort of plods along and never really goes anywhere or builds to anything.

marv2
08-26-2018, 10:44 PM
Thanks. I always felt this song never got the attention it deserved. Jean is brilliant!

Jean is just too much on this recording! Perfect in my opinion in every way.

marv2
08-26-2018, 10:47 PM
The background vocals are sensational too. I love how Jean riffs at the end!

Mary and Cindy provide expert background vocals. They do what great background vocals should do that is support the lead and reinforce the lyrics and message of the song.

marv2
08-26-2018, 10:48 PM
Thanks Marv,
Jean was a fine singer and thanks for posting this gem. JMC grouping was certainly a breath of fresh air and was a very solid presentation. BTW check you email please.

You're most welcome DET. Yes, Jean Mary and Cindy made a superb combination. The "Right On" album is one of the few Supremes albums I could listen to over and over in one sitting. Still sounds good.

marv2
08-26-2018, 10:52 PM

"Then We Can Try Again" was one of my favorites from the album too!

lucky2012
08-27-2018, 11:55 AM
Right On is a very strong lp. And interesting there aren’t any covers Great original material

IMO Everybody is the weakest track. Just sort of plods along and never really goes anywhere or builds to anything.
I understand your choice of Loving Country. When I first heard the album, I thought the same.
Good song by Ivy Jo Hunter and Smokey. It would need a new single mix, like you said. It needs more "punch", perhaps a new lyric verse added.

sup_fan
08-27-2018, 12:00 PM
wasn't the song produced by Frank Wilson? but written by Ivy and Smokey?

and you got it, the track would have needed to be edited a bit. it's a great version on the lp but for a single it would have needed to shorten the intro a little. then after the second verse they probably could have cut to the bridge [[and a shortened version) and then segue into the key change and end single the choruses.

it might have also helped with a little more dynamic lead from Jean. listen to Ladder - good god was a performance. and at the end she really sings it out. she mumbles a bit more on Country and the ending could have been a bit more powerful lead singing.

but still it's better than the mess of Everybody. while the lyrical content is perfect for the times, the production just lags. it's too slow, barely plods along. sort of an annoying, bouncy, sing-a-long. The live version on Glen Campbell was better. at least jean is singing with more passion and the lead lines by C and M a welcomed addition. but it needed more excitement still

lucky2012
08-27-2018, 12:12 PM
I wanted Then We Can Try Again as the second single as well. In the vaults I"m told there is a Diana Ross lead over the same track.
Then We Can Try Again just jumped out at me from my first listen. Because of Jean Terrell's bold, forceful lead, and the dynamic production, like Up The Ladder, this is a track that declares New Supremes.
Also, it wasn't another "message" song. Not that another message song would not have worked, but Then We Can Try Again displayed another facet of the new group. EGTRTL was just not exciting or interesting enough. A remixed Loving country may have worked, though.

lucky2012
08-27-2018, 12:29 PM
"Then We Can Try Again" was one of my favorites from the album too!
The album is a pleasure to listen to some 48 years later! Up The Ladder was the best single choice. After Up and Then We Can Try Again, my favorites are You Move Me, But I Love You More, Then I Met You, The Loving Country. To my surprise, I now think Bill, When Are You Coming Back could have been a single. It's catchy, timely [[Vietnam War) and tells a poignant story.

lucky2012
08-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Somehow, I can't hear Diana on this track. Perhaps because Ashford & Simpson crafted such a perfect debut album for her that is indelible in my mind. I really loved the differences between the New Supremes and Diana Ross in 1970.

thommg
08-27-2018, 12:43 PM
... but still it's better than the mess of Everybody. while the lyrical content is perfect for the times, the production just lags. it's too slow, barely plods along. sort of an annoying, bouncy, sing-a-long. The live version on Glen Campbell was better. at least jean is singing with more passion and the lead lines by C and M a welcomed addition. but it needed more excitement still

I maintain that if the version of Everybody's Got The Right To Love that appears on Greatest Hits & Rare Classics was used instead of the album version we know, it would have been a hit. Jean has the punch in her voice and the backgrounds help quite a bit in that version. The unreleased version really helped me like the song. As released, it was a boring second single from the "new" Supremes.

And I never thought Bill, When Are You Coming Back would be a good single until I heard it played in a bar one night. It sounded fantastic, and totally changed my mind about its potential.

marv2
08-27-2018, 02:07 PM
The album is a pleasure to listen to some 48 years later! Up The Ladder was the best single choice. After Up and Then We Can Try Again, my favorites are You Move Me, But I Love You More, Then I Met You, The Loving Country. To my surprise, I now think Bill, When Are You Coming Back could have been a single. It's catchy, timely [[Vietnam War) and tells a poignant story.

"Bill, When Are You Coming Back" was played on the radio as a single in Detroit and Toledo. Part of it was because everyone were excited and couldn't get enough of "the New Supremes" and because it was just such a great record. So for us, The Supremes "Right On" album received a lot of airplay with "Up the Ladder to the Roof" followed closely by "Bill When Are You Coming Back" then a few months later "Everybody Got the Right to Love".

marv2
08-27-2018, 02:12 PM
I maintain that if the version of Everybody's Got The Right To Love that appears on Greatest Hits & Rare Classics was used instead of the album version we know, it would have been a hit. Jean has the punch in her voice and the backgrounds help quite a bit in that version. The unreleased version really helped me like the song. As released, it was a boring second single from the "new" Supremes.

And I never thought Bill, When Are You Coming Back would be a good single until I heard it played in a bar one night. It sounded fantastic, and totally changed my mind about its potential.

I believe that was the version Hal Jackson played every Sunday in NYC on his show. Everybody Got the Right to Love was a Top 40 hit reaching #21 and #11 on the R&B Charts.

marv2
08-27-2018, 02:13 PM

"Bill, When Are You Coming Back" was a great record. It was very urgent sounding throughout.

sup_fan
08-27-2018, 02:38 PM
BWAYCB is very "5th Dimension." also like after Marry Me Bill, the poor guy got shipped off overseas lol

i can understand that during the couple of months prior to Right On release, djs would have been playing both the A and B side from the debut single. it's a great release

gman
08-27-2018, 04:01 PM
Jean is just too shrill for me on the end of this song....I like the rest of it, but the end makes me cringe. Then We Can Try Again was one of my fav. JT tracks...the background vocals could be a bit brighter and less compressed....it stands the test of time. I also loved Have I Lost You?....they could have used that one and Here Comes The Sunrise as singles...Perhaps all 3 of these would have been issued had there not been the 4 Tops duet singles to issue during the same period.

mowest
08-27-2018, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=thommg;477674]I maintain that if the version of Everybody's Got The Right To Love that appears on Greatest Hits & Rare Classics was used instead of the album version we know, it would have been a hit.

Are you referring to the version on the GH&RC CD or cassette? Thanks.

Bluebrock
08-28-2018, 02:36 AM

Totally agree. It was just crying out to be released as a single. There were many stronger tracks on that album than EGTRTL. Motown should have got a couple more hits from this album rather than rushing out more product.

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 09:21 AM

Ooh, I hope that surfaces at some point! I can honestly hear her singing it. I agree too, that "Then We Can Try Again" should've been the second single.

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 09:23 AM
I am definitely not hearing what the rest of y'all are hearing in regards to "The Loving Country". While I love the song and think it's an excellent album track, I just don't hear it as a hit single. Surprised hit, maybe. But "guaranteed" smash? Uh uh. Makes about as much sense to me as releasing "Everybody".

reese
08-28-2018, 10:16 AM
WAIT A MINUTE BEFORE YOU LEAVE ME and TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT ME might have been good candidates for subsequent singles. Of their 70s album, I think RIGHT ON was the one that could have been milked much more for singles. But instead, Motown rushed out the Four Tops duets and then the NEW WAYS... album.

sup_fan
08-28-2018, 10:25 AM
i think part of the rush was that they had started recorded Stoned Love in early April BEFORE Right On was even released. it wasn't done in time for the lp but i think just about everyone would agree that Stoned passed up anything on RO except perhaps Ladder. To delay releasing Stoned Love just to try and get another hit out of a third RO track would have been foolish.

And the song was more than a big enough hit to have carried an album of the same name, had motown not squandered the opportunity.

thommg
08-28-2018, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=thommg;477674]I maintain that if the version of Everybody's Got The Right To Love that appears on Greatest Hits & Rare Classics was used instead of the album version we know, it would have been a hit.

Are you referring to the version on the GH&RC CD or cassette? Thanks.

The CD. I didn't realize the cassette had different stuff on it until it was long gone from retail!

reese
08-28-2018, 10:44 AM
i think part of the rush was that they had started recorded Stoned Love in early April BEFORE Right On was even released. it wasn't done in time for the lp but i think just about everyone would agree that Stoned passed up anything on RO except perhaps Ladder. To delay releasing Stoned Love just to try and get another hit out of a third RO track would have been foolish.

And the song was more than a big enough hit to have carried an album of the same name, had motown not squandered the opportunity.

Maybe. But then it would have made more sense to delay the Four Tops duets and release NEW WAYS... and STONED LOVE instead. But three studio albums in six months was too much.

sup_fan
08-28-2018, 10:54 AM
^now that i completely agree with. Although RDMH was a great duet, frankly the whole duets project should have simply be tabled. it really did nothing for either grouping, although i think it might have helped the Tops more than the girls. while both groups were in precarious situations, the Sups were attempting to re-establish themselves and needed to gain further credibility. Right On was an excellent album and had they selected a stronger second single, overall sales would probably have helped push the set to a higher charting position than the mid-20s.

Then came the amazing Stoned Love - which oddly was released with a misspelled title. no where in the sung lyrics do the girls ever say Stoned. they lyric is Stone. and we've all discussed the unfortunate situation around New Ways. the single should have gone #1 on pop charts and the album should have done much MUCH better. Also a subsequent single like Time To Break Down or Together should have been issued.

all of the duet stuff should have just been shelved. perhaps more in spring or summer 71 they might have been able to release 1 album of various duet tracks from the 3 sets we finally got.

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 02:04 PM
WAIT A MINUTE BEFORE YOU LEAVE ME and TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT ME might have been good candidates for subsequent singles. Of their 70s album, I think RIGHT ON was the one that could have been milked much more for singles. But instead, Motown rushed out the Four Tops duets and then the NEW WAYS... album.

I agree about both of those songs, even though I'm really not a fan of either one. I could hear them being radio friendly. Better choices, I think, than "The Loving Country". I also think with a different mix or an alternative version, "Life Beats" could've hit too.

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 02:08 PM

Why wouldn't they just sit on "Stoned" until they had milked RO?

sup_fan
08-28-2018, 02:26 PM
i'm assuming because Stoned is simply amazing. everything about the song is great and while the RO tracks are very good songs, there's really not one among them that can stand next to Stoned. one the track was completed everyone would have been eager to get it out there and have a mega hit. which is exactly what they did

they just squandered the momentum with New Ways and the duets.

kenneth
08-30-2018, 08:18 PM
I always liked "Everybody's Got the Right to Love." I think a lot of people don't like it because it has a more Adult Contemporary MOR type sound than "the sound of Young America." It reminds me a lot of "Everybody Loves Somebody" by Dean Martin, in both theme and arrangement, and has that same kind of Vegas type arrangement. I'm surprised it wasn't more popular. I would love to hear a live version of it. Maybe live it comes more into its own than on the single release.

blackguy69
08-30-2018, 08:20 PM
I always liked "Everybody's Got the Right to Love." I think a lot of people don't like it because it has a more Adult Contemporary MOR type sound than "the sound of Young America." It reminds me a lot of "Everybody Loves Somebody" by Dean Martin, in both theme and arrangement, and has that same kind of Vegas type arrangement. I'm surprised it wasn't more popular. I would love to hear a live version of it. Maybe live it comes more into its own than on the single release.
on the seventies Supremes page in Facebook there is a live recording from the June 1971 Central Park concert

kenneth
08-30-2018, 08:23 PM
@blackguy68, thanks! I'll check that out.