PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Gene Simmons Tribute to Aretha [[reminisces about Diana and Aretha)

test

jobeterob
08-20-2018, 02:03 PM
https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-08-20-watch-gene-simmons-emotional-aretha-franklin-tribute/

lucky2012
08-22-2018, 07:05 PM
Anyone else intrigued by this?! The improbability of Aretha Franklin and Diana Ross coming together in song?! I didn't even imagine the possibility. Could only someone like Gene Simmons, an immigrant rocker from Israel, dare? I was astounded and somewhat touched that Aretha would be so immediately open to it, with "graciousness...and lack of [any] ego".
I can imagine the countless reactions to this. But Diana Ross & Aretha Franklin are my two favorite singers, period. If Aretha could imagine it possible, then
I will permit myself to imagine the possibilities, the songs, the settings. [[Gene Simmons didn't say what or how Diana felt about this).

marv2
08-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Gene Simmons is a disgusting JERK! A grade A ass*ole! He is also lying. First he said that he was just a young kid when he first heard Aretha's "Respect" when he was actually 18 years old in 1967. This story about Aretha recording with Diane is also a lie. You notice no one has ever heard of it or spoke about it until AFTER Aretha's death!

RanRan79
08-22-2018, 07:49 PM
Yes, I'm intrigued. The Queen of Soul and the Queen of Motown are my two favorite female vocalists and the idea of them teaming up is an interesting what if. The idea is a shaky one for two reasons: [[a)- and I think this would've been the biggest obstacle- could two huge egos coexist for the recording of a song? Of course we know many of the duets among the greats were recorded separately, but I can't recall Aretha's duets being separate recording sessions. Seems like she always preferred to work directly with the person she would be on the recording with. So could these two powerhouse personalities check their egos? Where would they have recorded? And would Diana have to go to Ree or would Ree go to Diana? And what producer had the ability to rein these divas in in the event things went south? Or better yet, what producer had the ability to keep things from going south? [[My money's on Smokey Robinson, being so close to both women.)

Concern #2 would be to wonder if it's possible for these two very different voices to compliment one another on record? Despite Aretha's well known ability to blow the roof off the sucka, she could contain herself when the song called for it. And despite Diana's well known ability to flow with the melody, she could let go too, but if Ree is shouting, could Diana keep up?

Concern #2 begs the question also of what kind of song would they have done? Would it be a fast club cut or something more mellow?

The obvious pro IMO is that both Aretha and Diana had an innate knack for lyrical interpretation. They both had the ability to really bring a song to life, to really play the part of the writer. So I'm guessing that if a really great producer with a fantastic story song had been able to get Aretha and Diana in the studio together, it's quite possible they could've pulled off a classic.

sansradio
08-22-2018, 07:58 PM
Intriguing, indeed. Aretha and Diana are also my two favorite female singers; my head spins at trying to imagine a duet.

And RanRan, Diana would DEFINITELY have had to come to Ree.😁

RanRan79
08-22-2018, 08:17 PM
And RanRan, Diana would DEFINITELY have had to come to Ree.

LOL I don't know man. They might have had to meet in the middle.;) Keeping it real, these two Detroit divas took their egos seriously. Too seriously IMO, though you may have a point...I think Queen Ree's ego was a wee bit bigger than even the Boss.

sansradio
08-22-2018, 08:34 PM
LOL I don't know man. They might have had to meet in the middle.;) Keeping it real, these two Detroit divas took their egos seriously. Too seriously IMO, though you may have a point...I think Queen Ree's ego was a wee bit bigger than even the Boss.

Yeah...ReeRee by a nose.😄

The more I think about it, though, I’d be willing to bet the farm that it would’ve been “Fool for Your Love.” Gene’s influence is all over that track, and rock purists are left slack-jawed to this day by Diana’s uncharacteristically blistering, balls-to-the-wall wailing on it. Can you imagine Ree ripsnorting through it with her? Lordy!!!

RanRan79
08-22-2018, 11:05 PM
Yeah...ReeRee by a nose.

The more I think about it, though, I’d be willing to bet the farm that it would’ve been “Fool for Your Love.” Gene’s influence is all over that track, and rock purists are left slack-jawed to this day by Diana’s uncharacteristically blistering, balls-to-the-wall wailing on it. Can you imagine Ree ripsnorting through it with her? Lordy!!!

I forgot to add Gene to the equation. The fact that he was calling Aretha about a duet must mean he had every intention of being involved in the recording process. And if that's the case, then it was most likely "Fool" or the other unreleased rock tunes Diana did with Gene/Kiss. Believe it or not, I think I could hear Diana and Aretha doing the song together. I know some fans don't care for it but I've loved it since I first heard it, and I'm still hoping that audio of Diana doing the song live surfaces. Anyway, I think adding Aretha to the track wouldn't have taken away from it at all.

lucky2012
08-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Yes, I'm intrigued. The Queen of Soul and the Queen of Motown are my two favorite female vocalists and the idea of them teaming up is an interesting what if. The idea is a shaky one for two reasons: [[a)- and I think this would've been the biggest obstacle- could two huge egos coexist for the recording of a song? Of course we know many of the duets among the greats were recorded separately, but I can't recall Aretha's duets being separate recording sessions. Seems like she always preferred to work directly with the person she would be on the recording with. So could these two powerhouse personalities check their egos? Where would they have recorded? And would Diana have to go to Ree or would Ree go to Diana? And what producer had the ability to rein these divas in in the event things went south? Or better yet, what producer had the ability to keep things from going south? [[My money's on Smokey Robinson, being so close to both women.)

I knew I wasn't alone :). My first thought on this was of a video someone here posted of Aretha & Smokey singing Oo Baby, Baby together. It was lovely and Aretha was delighted enough to pause and say "We should do a duet!" Their voices blended so smoothly together, in a way I could imagine Diana's and Aretha's blending. Your most important point is Smokey's closeness with both women. Imagine the three together creating something beautiful.

lucky2012
08-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Concern #2 would be to wonder if it's possible for these two very different voices to compliment one another on record? Despite Aretha's well known ability to blow the roof off the sucka, she could contain herself when the song called for it. And despite Diana's well known ability to flow with the melody, she could let go too, but if Ree is shouting, could Diana keep up?

Concern #2 begs the question also of what kind of song would they have done? Would it be a fast club cut or something more mellow?

The obvious pro IMO is that both Aretha and Diana had an innate knack for lyrical interpretation. They both had the ability to really bring a song to life, to really play the part of the writer. So I'm guessing that if a really great producer with a fantastic story song had been able to get Aretha and Diana in the studio together, it's quite possible they could've pulled off a classic.
Two very different voices but with proven versatility and matchless interpretation gifts. I don't think Diana could keep up if Aretha let loose, not in the way Donna Summer "kept up" with Barbra Streisand. I'm still trying to gather my thoughts on all the other possibilities :)

lucky2012
08-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Intriguing, indeed. Aretha and Diana are also my two favorite female singers; my head spins at trying to imagine a duet.

And RanRan, Diana would DEFINITELY have had to come to Ree.
Lol. DEFINITELY.

lucky2012
08-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Yeah...ReeRee by a nose.

I didn't know Diana had it in her to do a "Fool For Your Love". I don't listen to it or Silk Electric at all, these days.
I'm not familiar with Gene Simmons or the music of KISS. The only "rock" I listen to these days is a band from Scotland called Travis. [[No scoffing allowed!)

RanRan79
08-23-2018, 03:55 PM
I knew I wasn't alone :). My first thought on this was of a video someone here posted of Aretha & Smokey singing Oo Baby, Baby together. It was lovely and Aretha was delighted enough to pause and say "We should do a duet!" Their voices blended so smoothly together, in a way I could imagine Diana's and Aretha's blending. Your most important point is Smokey's closeness with both women. Imagine the three together creating something beautiful.

Excellent example! In another thread some time ago I mentioned my dream duet album of Aretha and Marvin. I think they easily could've kept up with one another. But I would've never thought to pair her with Smokey, but you're right, on Soul Train they sounded damn good together. Why a duet between them soon after that didn't materialize is a damn shame. But Smoke producing Ree and Diana would've been a real treat.

RanRan79
08-23-2018, 03:56 PM
Two very different voices but with proven versatility and matchless interpretation gifts. I don't think Diana could keep up if Aretha let loose, not in the way Donna Summer "kept up" with Barbra Streisand. I'm still trying to gather my thoughts on all the other possibilities :)

Agreed. No way was Diana keeping up if the Queen cut loose.

RanRan79
08-23-2018, 03:58 PM
The only "rock" I listen to these days is a band from Scotland called Travis. [[No scoffing allowed!)

***Scoff***:p

lucky2012
08-25-2018, 11:30 AM
I think this would've been the biggest obstacle- could two huge egos coexist for the recording of a song? … could these two powerhouse personalities check their egos? Or better yet, what producer had the ability to keep things from going south? [[My money's on Smokey Robinson, being so close to both women.)
I also thought of Quincy Jones. He just gave a very touching tribute to his "Baby Sis", Aretha. "Angel" is my favorite song recorded by the Queen. Quincy, of course, worked with Diana on The Wiz and on We Are The World, where everyone checked their egos. [[Aretha should have been on WATW). :[[

lucky2012
08-25-2018, 11:41 AM
Gene Simmons is a disgusting JERK! A grade A ass*ole! He is also lying. First he said that he was just a young kid when he first heard Aretha's "Respect" when he was actually 18 years old in 1967. This story about Aretha recording with Diane is also a lie. You notice no one has ever heard of it or spoke about it until AFTER Aretha's death!
I really don't know anything about Gene Simmons or KISS. I did find Diana's relationship with him bizarre, but now I don't know why. You're right, I have never heard anyone mention Aretha & Diana coming together in song until now. I still wish it had happened.

lucky2012
08-25-2018, 11:45 AM
***Scoff***:p
Ha! Scoff all you want. Fran Healy is an excellent song writer and even Elton John and Paul McCartney have praised his voice and the music of Travis. [[My apologies to SDF for getting way off track).

jobeterob
08-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Gene Simmons has a certain persona that was used to make millions of dollars

But behind the persona is a very intelligent business man like Otis Williams that has continued to be successful

Diana Ross being a companion of a successful man makes sense

RanRan79
08-26-2018, 12:36 AM
I also thought of Quincy Jones. He just gave a very touching tribute to his "Baby Sis", Aretha. "Angel" is my favorite song recorded by the Queen. Quincy, of course, worked with Diana on The Wiz and on We Are The World, where everyone checked their egos. [[Aretha should have been on WATW). :[[

Quincy would've definitely been a great option. If anyone could get the Queen and Diana on the same vocal page, it was Q. Some of my favorite Diana vocals are on the Wiz. And yes, "Angel" is a great one. One of my favs too.

RanRan79
08-26-2018, 12:38 AM
Ha! Scoff all you want. Fran Healy is an excellent song writer and even Elton John and Paul McCartney have praised his voice and the music of Travis. [[My apologies to SDF for getting way off track).

I was just teasing. I had never heard of Travis until your post. Looked them up and it's not my thing. And no apologies necessary. Soulful Detroit stays way off track.;)

RanRan79
08-26-2018, 12:40 AM
Gene Simmons has a certain persona that was used to make millions of dollars

But behind the persona is a very intelligent business man like Otis Williams that has continued to be successful

Diana Ross being a companion of a successful man makes sense

Success is one thing, being a dick is another. Glad she didn't go the long haul with that nut. She should've never been with him in the first place. Diana apparently still hadn't figured out how to play nice with others. Who dates their friend's guy? Pathetic move by Ross.

jobeterob
08-28-2018, 12:51 AM
I’m not sure Cher had anything to do with it

Nor am I sure Gene is nuts

He’s made a fortune

He’s like Otis and Lionel and Diana and Cher and Bette Midler - he’s smart and worked hard

No?

vgalindo
08-28-2018, 01:06 AM
Why are people calling Gene all these names? Ass ole, disgusting Jerk, and nut.. I don't get it?

Ollie9
08-28-2018, 05:09 AM
I have never enjoyed "Fool For Your Love" but as a duet with Aretha...now that would have been fun. Perhaps a dance version lol. Far better for me would have been a duet version of "It's My Turn". Both women gave superb solo interpretations of the song and it would play to both of their strengths.

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 09:09 AM
I’m not sure Cher had anything to do with it

Nor am I sure Gene is nuts

He’s made a fortune

He’s like Otis and Lionel and Diana and Cher and Bette Midler - he’s smart and worked hard

No?

It's my understanding that Cher was still with Gene when Diana started dating him. Isn't that what broke up their friendship?

And since when does being wealthy, smart and working hard negate someone being a sicko? I'm not understanding what you're presenting to refute my accusation that he's a nut.

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 09:17 AM
Why are people calling Gene all these names? Ass ole, disgusting Jerk, and nut.. I don't get it?

Oh, I don't know, it may have something to do with him being a misogynist who just recently settled a sexual assault lawsuit and has told depressed people to kill themselves. Listening to this guy's opinions about life is frightening. That he was invited to discuss his views on Fox News should tell you everything you need to know about the energy he puts out there.

Is Gene Simmons off limits here? If so I'll keep my nasty comments directed at Mary Wilson and Diana Ross, since that's clearly allowed.:p

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 09:19 AM
I have never enjoyed "Fool For Your Love" but as a duet with Aretha...now that would have been fun. Perhaps a dance version lol. Far better for me would have been a duet version of "It's My Turn". Both women gave superb solo interpretations of the song and it would play to both of their strengths.

I think "It's My Turn" wouldn't have worked as a duet between them. Too much of a personal song. [[I also think it's one of the few times Aretha didn't "steal" someone else's song. It's always said that when the Queen recorded someone's song it became hers. I think "Turn" will always belong to Diana. Aretha killed it, but Diana defined it to the general public, I think.) But "Fool" would've been great, dance or rock. I think anything fun and upbeat would've allowed these two to really do something special.

LoveSupreme
08-28-2018, 09:24 AM

Pot meet kettle. And it's only a lie because YOU said so?!?! Puh-lease. Just stop!!
Seek anger management, re-calibrate your meds, get help, do something dude!!!

reese
08-28-2018, 10:13 AM
It's my understanding that Cher was still with Gene when Diana started dating him. Isn't that what broke up their friendship?

And since when does being wealthy, smart and working hard negate someone being a sicko? I'm not understanding what you're presenting to refute my accusation that he's a nut.

From what I recall, Diana and Gene got close after Cher sent them out together to pick up a birthday present for her. Ouch!

In any event, I remember quotes from Diana and Cher afterwards that the three of them were still friends and went out together, along with Cher's new boyfriend. Not sure what broke up their friendship. J. Randy wrote that at some point Diana believed that Gene was messing with Cher again and that's what ended everything.

Rather sad to lose a friendship over such a thing, especially since they seemed to be real friends. Cher's daughter Chastity even named her rabbit "Diana Ross." At one point, the rabbit died. Cher was on the road and Chastity told her "Diana Ross died!" Cher calmed down after realizing it was the rabbit, not her friend.

vgalindo
08-28-2018, 10:55 AM
Oh, I don't know, it may have something to do with him being a misogynist who just recently settled a sexual assault lawsuit and has told depressed people to kill themselves. Listening to this guy's opinions about life is frightening. That he was invited to discuss his views on Fox News should tell you everything you need to know about the energy he puts out there.

Is Gene Simmons off limits here? If so I'll keep my nasty comments directed at Mary Wilson and Diana Ross, since that's clearly allowed.:p
Thank you. I really didn't know much about him other than he was with the rock group KISS.

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 02:00 PM
From what I recall, Diana and Gene got close after Cher sent them out together to pick up a birthday present for her. Ouch!

In any event, I remember quotes from Diana and Cher afterwards that the three of them were still friends and went out together, along with Cher's new boyfriend. Not sure what broke up their friendship. J. Randy wrote that at some point Diana believed that Gene was messing with Cher again and that's what ended everything.

Rather sad to lose a friendship over such a thing, especially since they seemed to be real friends. Cher's daughter Chastity even named her rabbit "Diana Ross." At one point, the rabbit died. Cher was on the road and Chastity told her "Diana Ross died!" Cher calmed down after realizing it was the rabbit, not her friend.

Thanks for the info Reese. That rabbit story sounds familiar. Must've been in one of the books. Hilarious!

RanRan79
08-28-2018, 02:02 PM
Thank you. I really didn't know much about him other than he was with the rock group KISS.

I thought about that, but then thought what Diana fan doesn't know about Gene? You're one in a million V!:cool:

vgalindo
08-28-2018, 02:30 PM
I thought about that, but then thought what Diana fan doesn't know about Gene? You're one in a million V!:cool:
Well I grew up in the 70s so I knew about Kiss. And being a Diana Ross fan I thought it was odd of her dating him. I knew of him and Cher and Diana. But I didn't know anything personal about him and his views.

Boogiedown
08-28-2018, 03:43 PM
Gene Simmons is an interesting fellow. He's a freethinker so it's hard to pigeonhole him into any certain thing one way or another. There are things to agree with and not.
He's never smoked , drank, or drugged. All counterproductive to a bigger goal he says.
Instead of littering his body with tattoos, [[he has none), like so many rock stars, he instead created his image with paint and costume , which he then removes when it doesn't serve him.
[[images of his KISS persona is a common tattoo seen amongst diehard fans though . Lol!)

Why would Cher send Diana Ross and Gene Simmons out together to buy a birthday present for her. I can just imagine Diana saying, "like I got nothing better to do?"

marv2
08-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Gene Simmons is disgusting in every sense of the word! Anytime a grown man sits up on live television and brags that he and his tongue has been with over 4,000 women and then sticks out his long, serpents tongue is just gross, immature and disgusting! He's shown disrespect to much more talented artists .....after they've died. He did it with Michael Jackson and he did it with Prince. When he dies and I am still around, I would not give him a minute of attention.

Boogiedown
08-28-2018, 03:55 PM
What did he say about Prince and Michael Jackson?

Yes he's gotten a lot of yardage out of that long tongue of his. Cher and Diana Ross were not grossed out , quite the opposite it seems. Lol!

reese
08-28-2018, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the info Reese. That rabbit story sounds familiar. Must've been in one of the books. Hilarious!

At one point, Diana and Gene were still somewhat connected. Gene married Shannon Tweed, and her sister Tracy ended up marrying [[albeit briefly) Chico Ross, Diana's brother.

Boogiedown
08-28-2018, 04:19 PM
Just looked it up and I see Gene and Shannon Tweed have been a couple since 1983 and finally married in 2011 and are still together. I'll put that in the plus column about the guy.

PeaceNHarmony
08-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Jelly 'cause he didn't date Wilson ? :rolleyes:

marv2
08-28-2018, 04:49 PM

Yes he's gotten a lot of yardage out of that long tongue of his. Cher and Diana Ross were not grossed out , quite the opposite it seems. Lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DbyZyKKdUs

marv2
08-28-2018, 04:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXslYxn-eo

marv2
08-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Gene Simmons is one of those people that I'd wished would just bump into me somewhere and I would kick his ass so hard that he'd offer to pay me to stop! Stomp the sh*t outta of him and then some! I'd do it like I was doing it for my Grandma! LOL! rrrrrrrrr

BayouMotownMan
08-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Very disturbed man. Reporting this to Ralph and Lowell. Just absolutely sick

jobeterob
08-29-2018, 12:11 AM
Jelly 'cause he didn't date Wilson ? :rolleyes:

It’s because he’s a success like Lionel Smokey Diana Cher Stevie and not like those that had it and lost it or blew it several times

Bluebrock
08-29-2018, 02:25 AM
Gene Simmons is one of those people that I'd wished would just bump into me somewhere and I would kick his ass so hard that he'd offer to pay me to stop! Stomp the sh*t outta of him and then some! I'd do it like I was doing it for my Grandma! LOL! rrrrrrrrr
What a very classy comment from a very classy guy. You are stooping to his pathetic level by posting this nonsense. Stop behaving like some kind of cyber hardman.

RanRan79
08-29-2018, 01:27 PM
It’s because he’s a success like Lionel Smokey Diana Cher Stevie and not like those that had it and lost it or blew it several times

Sorry but I'm not a fan of men who sexually harrass women or make light of depression and suicide. Those things are not okay with me.

jobeterob
08-29-2018, 02:58 PM
Sorry but I'm not a fan of men who sexually harrass women or make light of depression and suicide. Those things are not okay with me.

Are those some Gene character traits? I didn’t know that

There are things I don’t like about Otis Williams and Gene Simmons and the people from groups that were all about business and kicked people out of groups etc

But I also find it hard to be sympathetic to group members that wasted all their money, spent lavishly when they had a few dollars and are now 70 without much of anything and having to work small shows for very little

PeaceNHarmony
08-29-2018, 04:20 PM
Most likely! Simmons is also a great friend of Liza's. I never shave a git about Kiss but the guy has some serious good taste in friends so must have something good about himself that people like.

RanRan79
08-29-2018, 05:15 PM

There are things I don’t like about Otis Williams and Gene Simmons and the people from groups that were all about business and kicked people out of groups etc

But I also find it hard to be sympathetic to group members that wasted all their money, spent lavishly when they had a few dollars and are now 70 without much of anything and having to work small shows for very little

You're kind of all over the place here. I'm not sure what your self righteous attitude about people who didn't hold onto their money has to do with Gene Simmons' sexual harrassment history or his advice to depressed people to kill themselves, both of which definitely says something about his character. Seems like there's something else going on here and I am unqualified to deal with it. Adios.

RanRan79
08-29-2018, 05:19 PM

On closer look I now realize this is more Diana vs Mary bullcrap, that your last statement is a dig at what you think you know about Mary Wilson. I now know how to deal with this...

jobeterob
08-30-2018, 01:35 AM
On closer look I now realize this is more Diana vs Mary bullcrap, that your last statement is a dig at what you think you know about Mary Wilson. I now know how to deal with this...

I don’t know much about Gene but he seems to have some business smarts; but he might also have warts

Mary Wilson is one of the people that wasted her money and didn’t develop her talents for years, but she’s far from the only one; where there is jealousy in the Motown family, it stems from that

But for many of them, there is no jealousy - Martha Diana Smokey Claudette Berry Lionel Janie Scherrie Susaye Otis

TomatoTom123
08-30-2018, 12:32 PM
On closer look I now realize this is more Diana vs Mary bullcrap

Isn't it always RanRan :rolleyes:

ralpht
08-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Once again, just catching up here. I haven't read this thread until complaints were pointed out. Either you like Gene Simmons or you don't. Marv, you came down a little hard on the subject and even though, I realize, you were voicing an opinion, it didn't serve the forum well. Please consider your future remarks. Thanks.

RanRan79
08-30-2018, 06:39 PM
Isn't it always RanRan :rolleyes:

Sadly, yes.

marv2
09-08-2018, 05:53 PM
Once again, just catching up here. I haven't read this thread until complaints were pointed out. Either you like Gene Simmons or you don't. Marv, you came down a little hard on the subject and even though, I realize, you were voicing an opinion, it didn't serve the forum well. Please consider your future remarks. Thanks.

I will Ralph and thanks.

TheMotownManiac
09-18-2018, 05:30 PM

Um.....respectfully I say to thee: when your in your 70s, you may think of yourself at 18 as a young kid. I hardly would label him a liar on that evidence. Also, have you ever considered the fact that things go on with our Detroit divas that you don’t know about? There’s no reason for him to make up a story like this that I can think of.

‘’I’m guessing Gene is someone you are not too fond of, but, personally, I respect him for a lot of what he’s done and if he’s a sex addict or fiend it’s none of my concern. He pointed out to Diana that she was worth a lot more away from Motown and was right. He also learned a lot from her, he says.

TheMotownManiac
09-18-2018, 06:59 PM

Um.......hmmmmmmm....... once you touched GenevSimmons, he’d have you in prison so fast that you wouldn’t even get a chance to meet your new daddy before he turned you out! LOL!!!!! He’d see to it that you were forced to hear Diana Ross’ RCA years while you were being “befriended” ..... which, I guess, you condone since you would be in that position for perpetrating violence on someone else. Personally, I find your love of beating folks kind of sad - your rage is real, Marv - have you ever talked to anyone about it?