PDA

View Full Version : Book ends? Mirror images? "Where Did Our Love Go" and "Someday We'll Be Together"

test

kenneth
08-09-2018, 08:50 PM
I was listening to these two songs back to back recently, and something of an irony being the original lineup's first and last Number 1 hits, it occurred to me that these two songs are actually quite similar in structure and feel.

The songs are both written in a way which Diane maybe sings 4 or 5 different notes almost throughout the entire songs. The songs are deceptively simple in structure, but I say deceptive because they are actually rather hard to sing and almost no one else has ever sang them well. I'll make one exception for the Marvelettes' version of "Someday" but it's such a different arrangement, and a pretty raucous reading by Wanda with the Andantes as backup, that it's almost a different song.

But if you think about it, the two songs are not just book ends, being the first and last #1 hits, but they're practically mirror images of each other. Obviously, both seem to be tailor made for Diane's voice. Certainly, Diane was never a belter, rarely a shouter [[though she could shout and even belt from time to time), but her hesitations, phrasing and pauses for breath are nearly as dramatic as some of the notes she hits. Again, I think both songs are deceptively simple in that they're really examples of great writing and actually quite difficult to sing and be able to duplicate the great records that both of the originals are.

Thoughts? Am I on to something or do I just have too much time to ponder such things...?

kenneth
08-09-2018, 08:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp1y1BykgtY

kenneth
08-09-2018, 08:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz55Vx7GCvM

midnightman
08-09-2018, 09:25 PM
I personally think music wise the instrumentation of the Supremes'/Diana's Someday had a lot in common with My Girl via the intro and the melody/harmony accompanying it. Just something that came in my head while reading your thread lol

Does seem kind of symbolic the way you put it though. Also noticed most of the Supremes' biggest hits were either sad, emotional or defiant songs! Only two of which seemed chipper [[The Happening and Back In My Arms Again) but the rest like WDOLG, Come See About Me, Stop!, LIHANYG, Hangin' On, Love Child [[of course) were pretty deep songs when you read the lyrics and take the songs in...

RanRan79
08-10-2018, 10:14 AM
I was listening to these two songs back to back recently, and something of an irony being the original lineup's first and last Number 1 hits, it occurred to me that these two songs are actually quite similar in structure and feel.

The songs are both written in a way which Diane maybe sings 4 or 5 different notes almost throughout the entire songs. The songs are deceptively simple in structure, but I say deceptive because they are actually rather hard to sing and almost no one else has ever sang them well. I'll make one exception for the Marvelettes' version of "Someday" but it's such a different arrangement, and a pretty raucous reading by Wanda with the Andantes as backup, that it's almost a different song.

But if you think about it, the two songs are not just book ends, being the first and last #1 hits, but they're practically mirror images of each other. Obviously, both seem to be tailor made for Diane's voice. Certainly, Diane was never a belter, rarely a shouter [[though she could shout and even belt from time to time), but her hesitations, phrasing and pauses for breath are nearly as dramatic as some of the notes she hits. Again, I think both songs are deceptively simple in that they're really examples of great writing and actually quite difficult to sing and be able to duplicate the great records that both of the originals are.

Thoughts? Am I on to something or do I just have too much time to ponder such things...?

Well, you may have too much time to ponder such things...:p...but I think you might be on to something. It's an interesting caparison of the two songs. Now I don't actually agree that either song is a difficult song to sing, but I don't think I've heard anyone do "Where Did Our Love Go" justice. I've heard both Jean and Mary do "Someday" very well.

RanRan79
08-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Also noticed most of the Supremes' biggest hits were either sad, emotional or defiant songs! Only two of which seemed chipper [[The Happening and Back In My Arms Again) but the rest like WDOLG, Come See About Me, Stop!, LIHANYG, Hangin' On, Love Child [[of course) were pretty deep songs when you read the lyrics and take the songs in...

Great point! I never thought about that before. Seems like most of the Supremes remakes, particularly during the 60s and 70s, were always given a deep interpretation, a slower tempo for full dramatic effect, i.e. Margie Joseph's "Stop In the Name of Love" and even Vanilla Fudge's "You Keep Me Hangin On".

sup_fan
08-10-2018, 11:05 AM
simplicity was one of the hallmarks of motown recordings, especially in the heyday 60s. For the most part, you'll notice that nearly all of the big hits are very hum-able. simple straight forward melodies and stick to your mind.

it's always been my theory that many of the Sup songs that DIDN'T chart well, didn't because they were overly complex
*Forever Came Today
*Somethings You Never Get Used To
*Bad Weather

i realize that complexity isn't the only factor. and being a complex tune doesn't automatically doom it. But these 3 non-hits are much more challenging to sing, and sing well. it's sort of the driving-in-the-car test with the radio on. can the average person [[who doesn't have any real singing talents or training) sing along with this while driving?

midnightman
08-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Great point! I never thought about that before. Seems like most of the Supremes remakes, particularly during the 60s and 70s, were always given a deep interpretation, a slower tempo for full dramatic effect, i.e. Margie Joseph's "Stop In the Name of Love" and even Vanilla Fudge's "You Keep Me Hangin On".

For real. When other artists would do Supremes songs and bring the drama, you can tell what came into making those songs. It may seem catchy and, as sup-fan said, hum-able, but some of the songs they put out was deep! My World Is Empty, which wasn't number one but still a top 5 hit, is probably the darkest they ever did besides Love Child. And yet they were forced to sing this song chipper! I mean I guess they had to because of the music behind it but... I don't know, it's just bizarre in a sense but I guess it makes sense?

sup_fan
08-10-2018, 12:50 PM
i love the Jean and Scherrie versions of My World. it's dark and brooding. gives them a chance to really wail too

RanRan79
08-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Now see I never think of "My World" as chipper. Diana's voice is light, sure, rather than have her singing in a lower, darker register, but she still sounds like a woman who means what she sings, ya know what I mean? I think her vocal still fits very well with the tone of the music and the lyrics, as opposed to "Ode to Billy Joe", an extremely dark song that the producers have Diana singing like it's "Baby Love" or something.

midnightman
08-10-2018, 05:51 PM
^ I meant the performances of it.

But the song itself is one of the darkest songs that ever became a pop hit.

luke
08-10-2018, 06:36 PM
I don’t think anyone can top Diana on My World...her voice was perfect for it. It was haunting by her NOT wailing.

lucky2012
08-10-2018, 07:03 PM
I don’t think anyone can top Diana on My World...her voice was perfect for it. It was haunting by her NOT wailing.
I agree. I believe she was still a Supreme when she commented on MWIEWY, saying that it was the one hit that she knew how to sing right away, without much rehearsal. The recording may have been mid-tempo, but the words and the arrangement/production by HDH were haunting. Hope I don't step on any toes here, but I did hear the song first as the single follow-up to I Hear a Symphony, and I was surprised that it was basically a Diana Ross solo performance. I like the other album and stereo versions just fine but I think her solitary vocal on the mono/single most effectively conveys the depression and loneliness the song is about.
Now I do dislike all the fast, Vegas-type live versions.
I'm sure any good singer would be able to sell the song in a slowed down ballad form. It's one of the better songs by HDH.

midnightman
08-10-2018, 09:55 PM
Ever since the last few years, when she's performed the song, she's performed the song as it was originally recorded. Doing them Vegas-y when she was in the Supremes wasn't a good look but yeah, that song was perfect for her vocals. That remains one of my top ten favorite Supremes records ever.

kenneth
08-10-2018, 09:58 PM
Ever since the last few years, when she's performed the song, she's performed the song as it was originally recorded. Doing them Vegas-y when she was in the Supremes wasn't a good look but yeah, that song was perfect for her vocals. That remains one of my top ten favorite Supremes records ever.

I agree. "My World" is a fabulous performance. It really shows how good Diane is at acting out a song. I know a lot of people don't like another example of this, but she does the same kind of performance in "Sleepin'," which has a similar haunting quality to the vocal as does "My World." Another, more beloved song, which I think also shares her ability to act while singing is "I'm Still Waiting."

midnightman
08-10-2018, 10:08 PM
I agree. "My World" is a fabulous performance. It really shows how good Diane is at acting out a song. I know a lot of people don't like another example of this, but she does the same kind of performance in "Sleepin'," which has a similar haunting quality to the vocal as does "My World." Another, more beloved song, which I think also shares her ability to act while singing is "I'm Still Waiting."

True. Don't forget Love Is Here [[And Now You're Gone). Talk about DRAMA!

kenneth
08-11-2018, 12:30 AM
True. Don't forget Love Is Here [[And Now You're Gone). Talk about DRAMA!

You're so right.

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
08-13-2018, 01:42 AM
I agree. "My World" is a fabulous performance. It really shows how good Diane is at acting out a song. I know a lot of people don't like another example of this, but she does the same kind of performance in "Sleepin'," which has a similar haunting quality to the vocal as does "My World." Another, more beloved song, which I think also shares her ability to act while singing is "I'm Still Waiting."Lately, I've been getting into Peggy Lee's music and recently bought a book that details her life and career. One thing that is consistently commented on was how Peggy learned early on that her strength was in not over-singing or over selling a song. Peggy developed a style of singing very quietly and it caused listeners to really lean in, so to speak, and pay attention. Reading that, I thought how Diana Ross has a similar quality in her best performances. She doesn't try to compete with singers who "belt it out of the park" and in doing so, she really commands attention with her own style.

Which brings me to why she's so fantastic and will never be matched on songs like "Where Did Our Love Go", "My World Is Empty Without You", and "Someday...". She brings out the emotions by carefully modulating her delivery, much as Peggy Lee or even Billie Holliday [[who was an influence on Peggy) would have.

kenneth
08-14-2018, 05:21 PM
@WaitingWatching..., I love Peggy Lee! One of the reasons is because she is my mother's favorite singer, and she first played her records for me. But one thing she said about Lee which I'll never forget [[you'd have to know my mother to understand that she says things that are a bit obtuse at times) is "But you can only listen to her at night!" And you know, I think she's kind of right!