PDA

View Full Version : A history of partial reunions. Supremes to Smashing Pumpkins

test

luke
08-09-2018, 07:53 PM
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/a-history-of-partial-band-reunions-from-the-supremes-to-smashing-pumpkins-199892/black-sabbath-14-199953/

marv2
08-09-2018, 08:33 PM
I am happy that at least the truth is finally being put out there in all types of areas. Thanks Luke!

luke
08-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Interesting article about the various groups..Styx and Smashing Pumpkins. Yikes!

sup_fan
08-10-2018, 12:45 PM
not to stir the pot again on this one. but here we go

in some of the press at the time of Return To Love, Mary made the point that it wasn't just the money that was an issue but a total lack of her involvement from the onset. mary was the one that continued the group through the 70s, she's been actively keeping the legacy alive for decades. and she has a point that to simply be treated and viewed by the production company/execs for this tour as little more than an attractive background singer IS insulting. she should have had an active role in determining how the reunion would be structured, the music, the whole strategy.

Sure diana had great clout with the production companies. but she should have involved mary earlier and made it more of a collaboration

but given that there was already decades of strain relationship there, maybe that just wouldn't have been possible

Boogiedown
08-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Blunt summary by Rolling Stone.
This had to have been the lowest point in Diana's career [[?). After decades of distancing herself as far as possible as ever having been a Supreme , here she was now touring based entirely on that fact! And with two other Supremes she had never even shared professional time with before.

Too bizarre were it not true, this is just waiting to be a follow-up as a "DREAM GIRLS PART II" loosely-based story line!

marv2
08-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Blunt summary by Rolling Stone.
This had to have been the lowest point in Diana's career [[?). After decades of distancing herself as far as possible as ever having been a Supreme , here she was now touring based entirely on that fact! And with two other Supremes she had never even shared professional time with before.

Too bizarre were it not true, this is just waiting to be a follow-up as a "DREAM GIRLS PART II" loosely-based story line!

What was most bizarre and interesting was that none of the 3 singers were ever in the Supremes together at the same time in any combination. Also, the only person the 3 of them had in common professionally was..........Mary Wilson!

luke
08-10-2018, 05:10 PM
So true! Unlike Rolling Stone I think they could still command a large amount of money if they did reunite. And Styx...lead singer wants to come back and they said no!

Boogiedown
08-11-2018, 02:12 PM
What was most bizarre and interesting was that none of the 3 singers were ever in the Supremes together at the same time in any combination. Also, the only person the 3 of them had in common professionally was..........Mary Wilson!

Wow. Yes quite bizarre then . A show I'd have paid to see! Sounds like a hoot! !
How many shows did they perform? Where? Have either of the other two ever commented in detail what the experience was like, the touring and performing as a co-Supreme with Diana Ross ?
I'm going to research this. Did any of it get captured on tape?

Update:
ok I see the show is on youtube.
No doubt it's been discussed ad nauseam here at Soulful Detroit. [[Anyone have the pleasure of witnessing this?)

reese
08-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Wow. Yes quite bizarre then . A show I'd have paid to see! Sounds like a hoot! !
How many shows did they perform? Where? Have either of the other two ever commented in detail what the experience was like, the touring and performing as a co-Supreme with Diana Ross ?
I'm going to research this. Did any of it get captured on tape?

Update:
ok I see the show is on youtube.
No doubt it's been discussed ad nauseam here at Soulful Detroit. [[Anyone have the pleasure of witnessing this?)

They played 13 out of a planned 29 shows. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it as the tour was cancelled the week they were set to hit my city. I was very disappointed but was able to see some of the shows on tape. The last show at Madison Square Garden was very good. Hard to believe it has almost been twenty years.

midnightman
08-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Look, bottom line, the reunion wasn't meant to be. I personally wished she could've continued to promote Every Day is a New Day... JMPO... reunions should only work if all the parties are willing to work together, if they can't, they just can't.

marv2
08-11-2018, 07:07 PM
They played 13 out of a planned 29 shows. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it as the tour was cancelled the week they were set to hit my city. I was very disappointed but was able to see some of the shows on tape. The last show at Madison Square Garden was very good. Hard to believe it has almost been twenty years.

My area, Long Island was the first to cancel the show that was scheduled for Jones Beach!!!

marv2
08-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Look, bottom line, the reunion wasn't meant to be. I personally wished she could've continued to promote Every Day is a New Day... JMPO... reunions should only work if all the parties are willing to work together, if they can't, they just can't.

Oh it was meant to be. Everyone would have went to see it they could get a ticket. Diana Ross was the one that did not want it to be so ticket buyers, fans etc voted her off the Island........Long Island! and the rest is history! LOL!!!!

milven
08-11-2018, 11:04 PM
...Too bizarre were it not true, this is just waiting to be a follow-up as a "DREAM GIRLS PART II" loosely-based story line!

There actually was a movie based on this re-union, but it never got funding and was never released. They had a preview of it in NYC at some theater on 42St. I was there and saw it. The "stars" and producers and others involved were also there and were in the audience when the movie played. Universal Music was also there. Before or after the show, people mingled and talked in the lobby. Someone from the movie started talking to me thinking that I was someone important from Universal. I am neither from Universal nor "important".

I barely remember the movie except that it involved the re-union of the Supremes and they were all accidently booked in the same hotel where friction mounted.

The acting was bad, but I wish the movie or at least a direct to DVD would have been released. It is something that Supremes fans would probably like.

Did you ever go to a movie that was bad and panned by critics and yet you enjoyed it? That is how I felt about this movie.

I think we discussed this movie years ago and parts of it were on YouTube posted by the Producers[[??) to get publicity. It didnt work.

Does anyone remember this? When I tell people about this movie and that I actually saw it, they look down at the floor to see if I lost any of my marbles.

I can't even remember if any of the Supremes hits were featured in the movie, but I think they were.

Don't go senile. It is not that much fun :[[

marv2
08-11-2018, 11:55 PM
There actually was a movie based on this re-union, but it never got funding and was never released. They had a preview of it in NYC at some theater on 42St. I was there and saw it. The "stars" and producers and others involved were also there and were in the audience when the movie played. Universal Music was also there. Before or after the show, people mingled and talked in the lobby. Someone from the movie started talking to me thinking that I was someone important from Universal. I am neither from Universal nor "important".

I barely remember the movie except that it involved the re-union of the Supremes and they were all accidently booked in the same hotel where friction mounted.

The acting was bad, but I wish the movie or at least a direct to DVD would have been released. It is something that Supremes fans would probably like.

Did you ever go to a movie that was bad and panned by critics and yet you enjoyed it? That is how I felt about this movie.

I think we discussed this movie years ago and parts of it were on YouTube posted by the Producers[[??) to get publicity. It didnt work.

Does anyone remember this? When I tell people about this movie and that I actually saw it, they look down at the floor to see if I lost any of my marbles.

I can't even remember if any of the Supremes hits were featured in the movie, but I think they were.

Don't go senile. It is not that much fun :[[

I remember this movie. I remember talk of it way before it was filmed. Many clips of it were up on Dailymotion. com

milven
08-12-2018, 12:58 AM
I remember this movie. I remember talk of it way before it was filmed. Many clips of it were up on Dailymotion. com

Did you get to go to the screening of it in NYC? I remember the name of it now and googled some info on it. It was called IN THE NAME OF LOVE.

There still is a video on You Tube of the actresses playing the Supremes talking about the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9E6nUafeM

milven
08-12-2018, 01:04 AM
And here is an article about it and a book about the making of it is available

https://surakhan.net/supremes-reunion-book-efforts-sura-khan

https://surakhan.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Book-cover-ITNOL-194x300.jpg

Readers and viewers alike may find that this great writer producer-director was able to use both purpose and spirituality in order to give a sense of the truth of humanity in the transformation of a fictitious story that blends reality. Dorian Taylor

A Supremes Reunion Story, New York, NY [[November 4, 2017) –Author and filmmaker Sura Khan re-releases his historic book “In the Name of Love”, [[originally written in 2009) an inspirational book illustrating the story behind the making of a cinematic message in a bottle to the former Motown’s greatest female group of all time, The Supremes Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong. The Love Letter books to the Supremes

Details of the journey inscribed are magical, joyful, and sometimes painful not only for the author/filmmaker but also for all those who traveled with him to send this message. In the Name of Love is where Sura Khan shares the events in his childhood, connecting himself to the Supremes, the undertaking, and getting the film to the superstars through an ingenious process. It gives the readers a view from the inside of one of the most non-talked about events in the entertainment industry. The book is one of the best options as an uplifting, inspirational, and educational tool for filmmakers, actors, writers and all of those seeking to jump out of the box and make a huge difference.

IN THE NAME OF LOVE is a first-hand account of one man’s journey to inspire Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong formally Diana Ross & the Supremes, to heed the call of fans all over the world and give a reunion performance another chance.

Throughout his life, Sura Khan has always felt a connection to the Supremes and never really understood why and then the pieces started coming together. Sura Khan took on the challenge to do what most would have liked to had done when he committed to write and produce a cinematic letter to Ross, Wilson, and Birdsong of the legendary Motown group. His hopes were to inspire the ladies back to the forefront, one more time. In his book “In the Name of Love” Sura Khan details the story behind the noble effort to inspire peace unity and reconciliation.

Th present day

Almost 12 years have now passed and a reunion has never taken place. “I use to question myself sometimes,” says Sura Khan, “Did I do the right thing I would ask myself”. Twelve years later and Sura Khan has no regrets. The doors have opened for many involved in the project and have taken their careers to new heights. “I’m happy to be somewhat responsible for that,” says Sura Khan. “Sometimes things are not what they appear to be and there’s always a story behind the story that can either push us forward or hold us back. Ms. Ross, Ms. Wilson and Ms. Birdsong are not exempt from that.” “We all did our best and we did it In the name of Love.

milven
08-12-2018, 01:24 AM
So I'm not senile ;););)

marv2
08-12-2018, 01:46 AM
So I'm not senile ;););)

You nor I! hehehehehehehehehehe!

Jimi LaLumia
08-12-2018, 07:13 AM
I was not happy with the way things turned out either, but just for the record.. as a Long Island-er since 1954 [[I was 2 years old when we moved out here from Woodside Queens) Diana Ross is always welcome on Long Island and performs on Long Island quite frequently.. just saying..
The Tilles is on Long Island
https://www.ticketmaster.com/diana-ross-tickets/artist/736009?landing=c&awtrc=true&c=SEM_TMCPRI_ggl_1490608072_57161131563_diana%20ro ss&GCID=0&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtb_bBRCFARIsAO5fVvEvqB-otIbK4Ldef9H6DA-OPDyRKunOa_NschkwW-4FZL0OsmqfzxwaAi2IEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMaE3pax59wCFYsIDAodwscGEA

milven
08-12-2018, 10:21 AM
... just for the record.. Diana Ross is always welcome on Long Island and performs on Long Island quite frequently.. just saying..

https://www.ticketmaster.com/diana-ross-tickets/artist/736009?landing=c&awtrc=true&c=SEM_TMCPRI_ggl_1490608072_57161131563_diana%20ro ss&GCID=0&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtb_bBRCFARIsAO5fVvEvqB-otIbK4Ldef9H6DA-OPDyRKunOa_NschkwW-4FZL0OsmqfzxwaAi2IEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMaE3pax59wCFYsIDAodwscGEA

The last time that I saw Diana in Long Island was at Westbury Music Fair [[I will always call it that, no matter what its current name is). It was in July 2002, not the best time in her life, and not her best performance. I believe this performance was in between the two times that she had to take some time off to take care of her medical issues.

However, I have seen her many times since then and she is in top form, better than ever, and quite happy.

She appears often in LI, NYC and NJ. I try to see her as often as possible and regret that I did not go to Hollywood Bowl, where she had a completely different set list.

Jim, Diana is welcome in Long Island and everywhere else in the world

midnightman
08-12-2018, 11:01 AM
The RTL "film":
https://media1.tenor.com/images/ed7668426ff41ffd8439cbaa9b924123/tenor.gif?itemid=12010399