PDA

View Full Version : Supremes: Favorite Versions

test

longtimefan
08-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Now that we have many versions of many Supremes’ hits, on which CD release do you find the best ALTERNATE or EXTENDED version for these tracks:

WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO
BABY LOVE
COME SEE ABOUT ME
BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN
STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE
NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES
I HEAR A SYMPHONY
MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU

sup_fan
08-08-2018, 05:42 PM
fun topic!!

WDOLG - other than live versions, we only have the released versions. I'm not aware of any significant variations between Mono lp and Stereo lp and 45

Baby Love - definitely prefer the released version to the original version

Come See - not aware of any alts

Back in my arms - the only difference i'm aware of is the background vocals between the mono and stereo versions. In the mono version, the bg vocals come in just a half a beat later on the initial Ooooo. when they did the #1's cd set, they doubled the background vocals, layering the mono and stereo together. if you listen closely, you can hear both versions on that initial Oooooo. then there's an awkward edit in the #1 version fade that cuts some of the lyrics

Stop - definitely prefer the released version to the original one

Nothing - was interesting hearing that missing instrumental break.

and some others are

You Can't Hurry love - this is my fav Sup song of all time, regardless of lineup or whatever. There's the mono version, stereo lp version, the longer stereo version with the missing instrumental break which was released on the reel to reel, the L&F version with alt lead vocal, the #1 cd version with the longer fade and the new extended version on Sing HDH Expanded. plus various live versions.
*i have to probably pick the #1 version as top pick. love hearing the backgrounds better. but they completely removed the echo on the lead which maybe they could have left a little in
*the original stereo version is a fav too
*live versions - probably Ed Sullivan. I like the more exciting background vocals on Copa 67 [[plus they're more on pitch with this one) but it's SOOOOOO fast. crazy fast. the tempo on Roostertail is better but M and F are a bit off pitch throughout

happening - my fav is the original released version. on the #1 cd, the remix brings the horns up too high and that negatively impacts the overall. they come across a bit "squawky" lolol if that makes sense. The original also has the tambourine higher in the mix and gives it some oomph

Someday - i prefer the lp version [[aka the tambourine intro version). i like the longer intro and the bg vocals are higher in the mix here. although the L&F version has the organ intro which is pretty cool too. plus the organ remains higher mixed in the introduction. maybe we could mash those together and have an organ AND tambourine intro lol

Ladder - very different mix between the mono and stereo. generally i prefer the smoother sound of the stereo mix which also has more definition with the instrumentation. for instance the glissandos are more pronounced here

Stoned Love - the 45 version is crap IMO. and i do NOT like the version on #1. the lp version is perfection

Touch - man there were several versions and most are subpar. the only version i really like is the lp version

RanRan79
08-09-2018, 09:31 AM
Now that we have many versions of many Supremes’ hits, on which CD release do you find the best ALTERNATE or EXTENDED version for these tracks:

WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO
BABY LOVE
COME SEE ABOUT ME
BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN
STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE
NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES
I HEAR A SYMPHONY
MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU

Longtime, there's a difference between the mono and stereo album versions of "Where Did Our Love Go". One has handclaps throughout, the other doesn't. I think the stereo album is the one without. Other than that I am unaware of any alternates.

"Baby Love" of course has the original recorded version on the WDOLG expanded. It's interesting to hear but I think they made the right decision to rework it into the version we know today. I want to say there's an extended version of the hit version on the Supremes Number 1's disk.

"Come See About Me" I believe also has an extended version on the Number 1's.

"Back In My Arms Again" has a number of different versions I believe. If I'm not mistaken, there are some differences between the mono and stereo versions. I know I've heard alternate backing vocals before. And there's an alternate vocal on disk 2 of the More Hits expanded.

Same with "Stop In the Name of Love". There are a couple different versions, namely the first version included on the Supremes boxset from 2000, with the footstomps and Florence very prominent in the background. [[Some say Mary isn't on it at all.) There's an audio acapella version on the Supremes' tv appearance dvd that includes the background oohs during the verses that were apparently removed from the released versions. I'm not aware that a released to cd/digital version of "Stop" with the oohs exists. I think the oohs should have never been removed.

The alternate and extended version of "Nothing But Heartaches" is on the More Hits expanded. I like it so much that I hardly ever play the hit version anymore. I go straight for the alternate.

"I Hear a Symphony" has a great extended version on the IHAS expanded edition.

Likewise, "My World" also gets an extended alternate on IHAS expanded, with the background vocals much more audible than in the released version.

longtimefan
08-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Supfan and Ranran,
Thank you for take the time to provide such detailed, helpful information. Cheers!

sup_fan
08-09-2018, 12:20 PM
a few other fav differences

Love Child - there are a couple versions now of this song. there is the original, the original track but with an alt lead from diana and then longer versus with the rare third verse

Living in shame - there are 2 totally different versions of this song. different arrangement and backing track, different vocals, everything.

Bill when are you coming back - the mono single version has a completely different vocal take from jean vs the stereo lp version

Auto sunshine - there's the lp version and then the extended, unedited version

Floy joy - there are a few different versions. there's the unedited version which was on the 70s Anthology. but other versions vary based on when they fade and final ad libs

I'm Gonna Let my heart do the walking - quite a few versions
*the original Russ Terrana mix which motown rejected and they redid the whole album
*lp version
*unedited track with alt scherrie lead - on the Let yourself go cd set
*unedited track with unreleased susaye lead - on Let Your Go set
*alt version on At Their Best - i believe this is an alt mix of the original Russ Terrana mix
*alt version used to lip sync to on American Bandstand appearance [[a shorter performance of this was used on Soul Train)

Let Yourself Go
*lp version
*45 version
*Greatest Hits and Rare Classic cassette tape version

144man
08-09-2018, 07:35 PM
The alternate and extended version of "Nothing But Heartaches" is on the More Hits expanded. I like it so much that I hardly ever play the hit version anymore. I go straight for the alternate.

I do exactly the same.

midnightman
08-09-2018, 07:37 PM
I loved the extended versions of Stop! In the Name of Love and You Keep Me Hangin' On personally.

YKMHO is special because of the ending which features Diana singing "So... LET ME BE! SET ME FREEEE!" and the final guitar riff... something special about it [[that and the instrumental version, which is funkier than fish grease).