PDA

View Full Version : Diana "Work That Body"

test

RanRan79
08-08-2018, 02:04 PM
I love this song for everything except the lyrics. Diana sounds great, the track is funky as hell, even the background singers are doing their thang. But those lyrics though. Lol I wish this had been a different song. More people would have taken it seriously. I wish the whole first album sounded like this and "Mirror, Mirror".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y74ejKEYOA

sup_fan
08-08-2018, 02:23 PM
it's campy but not in as good of a way a Olivia Newton-John's Physical. People said Diana was trying to do a cheap imitation of that big hit but actually if you look at the release dates and timelines, hers was recorded prior to Olivia's being released.

While the lyrics are not as bad as Living In Shame or some of their Smokey songs, i agree they could have been better here

Jaap
08-09-2018, 04:23 AM
It's typical Paul Jabara lyrics, which tend to be a bit over the top--though I love the line in his song "Never Lose Your Sense of Humor": "Instead of the plumber, I called Donna Summer," and then Donna appears in the chorus!

I always wonder what the story is behind "Ladies Hot Line" which Jabara co-wrote with Diana Ross, but was recorded by The Weather Girls. Was it intended for Why Do Fools? Did Ross ever record it too? Even a funkier track than Work That Body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMWTwkE_-s

Ollie9
08-09-2018, 07:04 AM
It's typical Paul Jabara lyrics, which tend to be a bit over the top--though I love the line in his song "Never Lose Your Sense of Humor": "Instead of the plumber, I called Donna Summer," and then Donna appears in the chorus!

I always wonder what the story is behind "Ladies Hot Line" which Jabara co-wrote with Diana Ross, but was recorded by The Weather Girls. Was it intended for Why Do Fools? Did Ross ever record it too? Even a funkier track than Work That Body.

WDFFIL sure could have done with another funky song like this.....
Remove "Mirror "Mirror" and "Work That Body from the mix and your not left with anything you could safely call memorable.
I would also have included "Who" in place of "Two Can Make It" and "Love Lies" instead of the awful solo version of "Endless Love".

RanRan79
08-09-2018, 08:56 AM
it's campy but not in as good of a way a Olivia Newton-John's Physical. People said Diana was trying to do a cheap imitation of that big hit but actually if you look at the release dates and timelines, hers was recorded prior to Olivia's being released.

While the lyrics are not as bad as Living In Shame or some of their Smokey songs, i agree they could have been better here

Sup fan I'll never get over your distaste for Smokey lyrics. Sometimes I just don't understand you!!:p

RanRan79
08-09-2018, 09:04 AM

Oh my gosh, I can't with those lyrics or the way they're singing them. I got a minute and 39 seconds in before I realized I couldn't take another moment. Is this kind of campy stuff the only stuff the Weather Girls recorded? I never liked "Raining Man", but I heard it on Music Choice one day a few months ago while I was doing some cleaning and I do think it's the first time I sat through the whole song. The lyrics don't do anything for me, but I had to admit that them sistas was singing the hell out of such a silly song. I actually started liking it...a bit. But did they ever do any serious stuff?

As for Diana's connection to "Hot Line", it would be interesting to find out if it was intended [[and maybe even recorded) by Ross for the first album. I can't imagine that anyone would sit down with Diana to collaborate on writing a song unless it was intended for her.

The track is funky as hell.

RanRan79
08-09-2018, 09:08 AM
WDFFIL sure could have done with another funky song like this.....
Remove "Mirror "Mirror" and "Work That Body from the mix and your not left with anything you could safely call memorable.
I would also have included "Who" in place of "Two Can Make It" and "Love Lies" instead of the awful solo version of "Endless Love".

I like the solo version of "Endless Love", but definitely agree the album could've used more funk. "Mirror" and "Work" not included, the album is mostly a dud, although I would've still kept "Sweet Surrender".

The funky side of Diana Ross makes me wish even more that Rick James had been allowed to produce her before she left the company. I don't know how well they would have gotten along in the studio, but I can't help but to think they would've made great music together.

sup_fan
08-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Sup fan I'll never get over your distaste for Smokey lyrics. Sometimes I just don't understand you!!:p

hahaha it's not ALL songs. Tracks of My Tears is stunning and just beautiful. Don't mess, hunter, floy joy, auto sunshine - like them all

it's just that some of his songs just get silly with the lyrics. in particular i find his late 60s DRATS work to be pretty poor.

Treat me nice john henry - do i really need to list these lyrics out as an example???

the composer

will this be the day - combing my hair and drawing my bath??

sunny boy - who apparently has a sizable wardrobe with everything from silk corduroy. oh a mohair too LOLOLOL

lucky2012
08-09-2018, 11:06 AM
^ Glad you clarified :) What do you think of Till Johnny Comes from Cream of the Crop?
Late 1969 but I think it was written for or recorded earlier by Brenda Holloway[[?) It's a nice story song, beautifully produced and arranged [[by Smokey?) and convincingly sung by Diana [[with the Andantes?).

sup_fan
08-09-2018, 12:21 PM
^ that one isn't too bad. the lyrics aren't too goofy lolol

I go like some of the earlier songs they did with him - your heart belongs to me, after all, breathtaking guy [[although that's a bit silly too), long gone lover is a fav lol

rovereab
08-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Work That Body was popular in UK clubs. I remember dancing to it at the time and it did seem to pull the crowd to the dance floor. I'm not sure how it faired on the UK Top 40 chart.

Pandakins
08-09-2018, 02:24 PM
It got to number 7 in the UK. It was very popular at the time and still is with me!

midnightman
08-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Paul Jabara wrote this, though.

It was MEANT to be campy and fun. I don't mind the lyrics myself. Sounds like this was the song Diana agreed to do [[I think she co-wrote this too) while passing on It's Raining Men. :)

PeaceNHarmony
08-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Cute song and certainly waaayyy bigger a hit than anything any other Supreme did as a solo

Boogiedown
08-09-2018, 10:01 PM
Poor Paul. He was hoping to help Diana cash in on the surge of gay gyms opening up then. --- "Come on girls!" lol!
Actually blame Jane Fonda , wasn't she the first to have a hit record capitalizing on the workout craze?

Amanda Lear was amongst the many who joined in the gymnastics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_atvjuNTSvw

rovereab
08-10-2018, 03:54 AM
It got to number 7 in the UK. It was very popular at the time and still is with me!

Thanks Pandakins, that was a good chart result!

marybrewster
08-10-2018, 04:03 AM
Cute song and certainly waaayyy bigger a hit than anything any other Supreme did as a solo

Unnecessary.

midnightman
08-10-2018, 06:02 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/9zEtGuTrB46ys/giphy.gif

You're THIS close to getting blocked...

TomatoTom123
08-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Oh my gosh, I can't with those lyrics or the way they're singing them. I got a minute and 39 seconds in before I realized I couldn't take another moment. Is this kind of campy stuff the only stuff the Weather Girls recorded? I never liked "Raining Man", but I heard it on Music Choice one day a few months ago while I was doing some cleaning and I do think it's the first time I sat through the whole song. The lyrics don't do anything for me, but I had to admit that them sistas was singing the hell out of such a silly song. I actually started liking it...a bit. But did they ever do any serious stuff?

CMON RANRAN YOU KNOW YOU LIKE RAINING MEN DEEP DOWN, JUST ADMIT IT, IT'S A CLASSIC!!!

And, yes, The Weather Girls did record some less campy stuff. They had two albums out as the 'Two Tons O' Fun' in 1980... containing some great songs. "Just Us" and "Earth Can Be Just Like Heaven" are my faves. :)

TomatoTom123
08-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Also, this is a quality toon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zln96NbB87Y&app=desktop

RanRan79
08-26-2018, 01:27 AM
CMON RANRAN YOU KNOW YOU LIKE RAINING MEN DEEP DOWN, JUST ADMIT IT, IT'S A CLASSIC!!!

Nah, I'm good.:cool:

And, yes, The Weather Girls did record some less campy stuff. They had two albums out as the 'Two Tons O' Fun' in 1980... containing some great songs. "Just Us" and "Earth Can Be Just Like Heaven" are my faves. :)

Okay, I'll check into it.

RanRan79
08-26-2018, 01:39 AM
Also, this is a quality toon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zln96NbB87Y&app=desktop

Thanks Tom. I checked it out, along with "Just Us" and "Earth Can Be Just Like Heaven". Still didn't do much for me, but definitely more my speed than "Hot Line".

TomatoTom123
08-26-2018, 08:47 PM
Fair enoughs Ran, I still think "Raining Men" is their best song. :cool:

By the way, I checked out "Work That Body" and loved it, even with the weird lyrics, and I also enjoyed "Hot Line" by The Weather Girls. Fun songs. :)

RanRan79
02-27-2023, 06:21 PM
Fair enoughs Ran, I still think "Raining Men" is their best song. :cool:

By the way, I checked out "Work That Body" and loved it, even with the weird lyrics, and I also enjoyed "Hot Line" by The Weather Girls. Fun songs. :)

Tom, there was a song I had heard a few times and it got people dancing but I could never find who the singer was or even the name of the song because it was difficult for me to figure out what was being said in the chorus. Well after years of searching, somehow I lucked up on it and it turns it out it was the Weather Girls' "Well A Wiggy".:cool: I love it and play it often. And no, I don't think Diana Ross should have recorded it.:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSADtb_SrZM

reese
02-27-2023, 07:24 PM
Tom, there was a song I had heard a few times and it got people dancing but I could never find who the singer was or even the name of the song because it was difficult for me to figure out what was being said in the chorus. Well after years of searching, somehow I lucked up on it and it turns it out it was the Weather Girls' "Well A Wiggy".:cool: I love it and play it often. And no, I don't think Diana Ross should have recorded it.:p

VIDEO SOUL used to play this video all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GKpW6nqJE8

sup_fan
02-27-2023, 07:41 PM
Ran - i agree. the backing track of WTB is hot and fits in with a more rock sound that could have been developed more. an alt version of this song plus Mirror, Think I'm in Love and Sweet Surrender could have helped build up a stronger album. I like It's Never Too Late but not sure how well it fits with the rock sound.

maybe like people say you could reshuffle WDFFIL and SE

Mirror Mirror
Sweet Surrender
WTB redo
Think I'm In Love
Turn me over [[haha i know this is ridiculous but i found it a funny inclusion, maybe as a "hidden track" it would work)
Who
Love lies
still in love
in your arms [[redo with Masser producing)

a more pop album could be done later with WDFFIL, Anywhere you run to, it's never too late, sweet nothings. I like I Am Me and so I'd add it to this album too. this gives us 1 full side. Endless Love is dreadful and should be thrown out. not a big fan of So close or fool for your love.

TomatoTom123
03-03-2023, 06:16 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSADtb_SrZM

LOL! I have that album but I've not paid much attention to it until now. I actually like that track very much, although it is in keeping with the Girls, um, somewhat cringey material :cool:... but it has that mid/late 80s pop vibe that I like. Good find Ran. :D

Albator
03-03-2023, 06:47 AM
She was funny but it’s embarrassing anyway

https://youtu.be/mE4EHFAIZ8g

Jaap
03-03-2023, 07:17 AM
I fully understand why Ross stopped "Work That Body" at Central Park, as there was unrest in the crowd. Yet, it is a shame, because, as far as I know, there is no other live performance of Work That Body available. Although now I too think the lyrics are a bit silly, I loved this song back in 1981 and I clearly remember dancing to it in 1982 and 1983 when I saw her live in concert. Such a shame that the recording of her 1982 Brussels concert has not been released [[the one of which the Marvin and Diana on stage footage in "Missing You" is taken from)... would LOVE to see that concert again, if only because it was my very first one.

Albator
03-03-2023, 08:06 AM
For a Diana Ross fan, it’s an inconsistant song but it’s full of energy and very well produced

reese
03-03-2023, 09:31 AM
I fully understand why Ross stopped "Work That Body" at Central Park, as there was unrest in the crowd. Yet, it is a shame, because, as far as I know, there is no other live performance of Work That Body available. Although now I too think the lyrics are a bit silly, I loved this song back in 1981 and I clearly remember dancing to it in 1982 and 1983 when I saw her live in concert. Such a shame that the recording of her 1982 Brussels concert has not been released [[the one of which the Marvin and Diana on stage footage in "Missing You" is taken from)... would LOVE to see that concert again, if only because it was my very first one.

When I saw Diana in 1983, during her performance of WORK THAT BODY, she invited every child in the audience aged 10 years and under to join her on stage for a dance. I distinctly remember a few people looking much older than ten but it was cute anyway.

Boogiedown
03-03-2023, 02:20 PM
She was funny but it’s embarrassing anyway

https://youtu.be/mE4EHFAIZ8g

this is rather shocking. Had no idea this took place. I thought the crowd was reacting booing/hostile to the song …
at what point in
the concert did it occur?

reese
03-03-2023, 02:49 PM
this is rather shocking. Had no idea this took place. I thought the crowd was reacting booing/hostile to the song …
at what point in
the concert did it occur?

WORK THAT BODY followed MUSCLES, during the last segment of the concert. But as the clip shows, sensing the crowd unrest, Diana cut WTB and performed ENDLESS LOVE instead, perhaps her best vocal of the day.

Roberta75
03-03-2023, 08:24 PM
I love Work That Body and still play it. A real fun song IMO.

TheMotownManiac
03-04-2023, 08:16 AM
Ran - i agree. the backing track of WTB is hot and fits in with a more rock sound that could have been developed more. an alt version of this song plus Mirror, Think I'm in Love and Sweet Surrender could have helped build up a stronger album. I like It's Never Too Late but not sure how well it fits with the rock sound.

maybe like people say you could reshuffle WDFFIL and SE

Mirror Mirror
Sweet Surrender
WTB redo
Think I'm In Love
Turn me over [[haha i know this is ridiculous but i found it a funny inclusion, maybe as a "hidden track" it would work)
Who
Love lies
still in love
in your arms [[redo with Masser producing)

a more pop album could be done later with WDFFIL, Anywhere you run to, it's never too late, sweet nothings. I like I Am Me and so I'd add it to this album too. this gives us 1 full side. Endless Love is dreadful and should be thrown out. not a big fan of So close or fool for your love.

on our way home from buying the album, we could not wait to hear turn me over. We were so disappointed when we did. It was considered somewhat clever back in the day, but I don’t know why it has to be included on CDs and other formats that don’t get turned over, also, I think it would be better if they cut the intro and fade by about half at least.

I like your suggestions, but I would have to add anywhere you run into and remove either sweet, surrender, or still in love

sup_fan
03-04-2023, 11:34 AM
on our way home from buying the album, we could not wait to hear turn me over. We were so disappointed when we did. It was considered somewhat clever back in the day, but I don’t know why it has to be included on CDs and other formats that don’t get turned over, also, I think it would be better if they cut the intro and fade by about half at least.

I like your suggestions, but I would have to add anywhere you run into and remove either sweet, surrender, or still in love

maybe Turn Me Over would have worked better to be done more like Marvin's I Wanna Be Where You Are on I Want You. it's sort of an outro on Side 1 and he's talking to his kids. on the EE there's a full version of it.

maybe they could have done a full song. maybe it's the third song on the side. and then there's another song or two but then a brief reprise.

i can only imagine though where the lyrics could have gone with a song title like this!!!!! lol

reese
03-04-2023, 12:35 PM
maybe Turn Me Over would have worked better to be done more like Marvin's I Wanna Be Where You Are on I Want You. it's sort of an outro on Side 1 and he's talking to his kids. on the EE there's a full version of it.

maybe they could have done a full song. maybe it's the third song on the side. and then there's another song or two but then a brief reprise.

i can only imagine though where the lyrics could have gone with a song title like this!!!!! lol

When I bought the SILK ELECTRIC album and saw TURN ME OVER as the last track on Side 1, I wondered what on earth the song could possibly be about. I'm actually glad that it turned out to be what it was. :D

For years, whenever I made a Diana cassette, I would include it at the end of the first side.

Boogiedown
03-04-2023, 12:48 PM
When I bought the SILK ELECTRIC album and saw TURN ME OVER as the last track on Side 1, I wondered what on earth the song could possibly be about. I'm actually glad that it turned out to be what it was. :D

For years, whenever I made a Diana cassette, I would include it at the end of the first side.

Brilliant!! ….

.so what is it about ? She sure likes to be upside down and turned over and round and round !:p

reese
03-04-2023, 12:55 PM
Brilliant!! ….

.so what is it about ? She sure likes to be upside down and turned over and round and round !:p

I gather you haven't listened to it? It is just a minute or so of synthesizer noise and at one point, Diana says "Turn me over," as in turn the record over so that you can play side 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdPUYPniov8

Boogiedown
03-04-2023, 01:03 PM
I like it at every level !! Shows some lighthearted in the studio fun being had :cool:
thanks Reese

TNSUN
03-05-2023, 10:56 AM
I like the song. It is cute.

RanRan79
03-05-2023, 11:56 AM
VIDEO SOUL used to play this video all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GKpW6nqJE8

Why did they have Martha lipping to Izora's voice?:D