PDA

View Full Version : Reflections Expanded Edition

test

Pages : [1] 2 3

thanxal
08-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Do we have any official word about the next expanded edition? I would assume its Reflections since Rogers and Hart was given a somewhat expanded release a few years ago. Barring an omnibus release including Liverpool, Country & Western, Disney, etc. Reflections should be next in line. I dare not ask about timing, but things sure seem to have sped up since A Go Go, which is still my favorite one.

paul_nixon
08-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Do we have any official word about the next expanded edition? I would assume its Reflections since Rogers and Hart was given a somewhat expanded release a few years ago. Barring an omnibus release including Liverpool, Country & Western, Disney, etc. Reflections should be next in line. I dare not ask about timing, but things sure seem to have sped up since A Go Go, which is still my one.

And what's the one after that and the one after that?

thanxal
08-08-2018, 01:37 PM
One would assume Love Child, then Let the Sunshine In and then Cream of the Crop.
Funny Girl got a digital release a few years ago. I would assume there won't be an expanded edition of the live albums [[Talk of the Town, TCB, GIT). I'm sure future expanded editions are dependent on the amount of vault material Andy, George and co. have to work with.

Jimi LaLumia
08-08-2018, 01:42 PM
they are dependent on people opening their wallets and buying them so please continue to do so..If you don't have H/D/H yet, get it!

thanxal
08-08-2018, 02:09 PM
they are dependent on people opening their wallets and buying them so please continue to do so..If you don't have H/D/H yet, get it!
That too!
I've bought 2 copies of each set since More Hits. I could kick myself for not getting 2 copies of WDOLG. I play one and keep the other sealed.

sup_fan
08-08-2018, 02:21 PM
there was no specific mention or call-out in the booklet for Sing HDH Expanded about "coming soon" or "be on the look-out"

They have done this in the past on occasion. not always.

I do think we could assume that they're working on something. what that is, i don't know. I was surprised that they did another set on the Xmas stuff but it was timely, given the holidays, they had some new material to make it unique and, from what we've heard, the Xmas stuff always sells well

and then they did Diana Sings Wiz sort of in time with the Wiz live broadcast on tv.

there's been talk that Ross 78 is in the works. Reflections would be an obvious next Expanded Edition. But the next actual lp was Sing Rodgers & Hart. they've released 2 expanded editions already - on cd in the 80s with 24 tracks and then another more recently with all 25 plus the Lady Tramp medley from Copa 67. But two of the tracks are different takes - I know one was Bewitched with totally different background vocals. Are there any other alt versions?

And they've not done the specialty albums of Sing CW&P, Sam Cooke, Liverpool.

Another question - is there really enough material for the DRATS albums to warrant expanded editions of each lp? it's not like they were really focusing on a concept like the Symphony set. it was mostly ongoing recording [[primarily with just Diana) and then let's grab the recent singles and fill out an lp. So does the remaining vault material really line up for individual DRATS lp expanded editions?

Thornton
08-08-2018, 02:46 PM
there was no specific mention or call-out in the booklet for Sing HDH Expanded about "coming soon" or "be on the look-out"

They have done this in the past on occasion. not always.

I do think we could assume that they're working on something. what that is, i don't know. I was surprised that they did another set on the Xmas stuff but it was timely, given the holidays, they had some new material to make it unique and, from what we've heard, the Xmas stuff always sells well

and then they did Diana Sings Wiz sort of in time with the Wiz live broadcast on tv.

there's been talk that Ross 78 is in the works. Reflections would be an obvious next Expanded Edition. But the next actual lp was Sing Rodgers & Hart. they've released 2 expanded editions already - on cd in the 80s with 24 tracks and then another more recently with all 25 plus the Lady Tramp medley from Copa 67. But two of the tracks are different takes - I know one was Bewitched with totally different background vocals. Are there any other alt versions?

And they've not done the specialty albums of Sing CW&P, Sam Cooke, Liverpool.

Another question - is there really enough material for the DRATS albums to warrant expanded editions of each lp? it's not like they were really focusing on a concept like the Symphony set. it was mostly ongoing recording [[primarily with just Diana) and then let's grab the recent singles and fill out an lp. So does the remaining vault material really line up for individual DRATS lp expanded editions?

I can't imagine a two-disc version of any of the DRATS albums, unless they would include Talk of the Town on the Reflections set. I would certainly buy a one disc set of any of the DRATS albums remastered with some alternate takes/unreleased tracks.

luckyluckyme
08-08-2018, 03:17 PM

I got your point Paul. Having worked on several splendid cd re-issues yourself, you know and appreciate the hard work and great deal of time involved in such a project.
Poor Andy, George, Kevin & Harry, sometimes we don't realize the pressure we place on them. Their aim is to please but there are so many obstacles in the way. And at times, we, fans, don't make it any easier for them.
I agree that one of the best ways we can keep such releases coming is to support them with our wallets and to invite others to buy or legally download/stream them.

thanxal
08-08-2018, 03:18 PM
is there really enough material for the DRATS albums to warrant expanded editions of each lp?...So does the remaining vault material really line up for individual DRATS lp expanded editions?

It may very well not, which was why I raised it as a limiting factor down thread. Even if sales remain in the range to warrant more editions, they may not have the vault material to fill out LTSI and CotC. But Andy and George always have surprises up their sleeves. My guess is that none of the specialty albums or the live albums from the DRATS period would be big enough sellers to warrant an expanded edition, unless 2-3 albums were combined on one set with a few alternate takes.

Just speculating here.

snakepit
08-08-2018, 03:23 PM
I got your point Paul. Having worked on several splendid cd re-issues yourself, you know and appreciate the hard work and great deal of time involved in such a project.
Poor Andy, George, Kevin & Harry, sometimes we don't realize the pressure we place on them. Their aim is to please but there are so many obstacles in the way. And at times, we, fans, don't make it any easier for them.
I agree that one of the best ways we can keep such releases coming is to support them with our wallets and to invite others to buy or legally download/stream them.

It does seem a tad disrespectful to demand product, then upon receipt of it, cry " What's next?" So soon.

thanxal
08-08-2018, 03:29 PM

I didn't read that as sarcastic, but if it were meant that way, should we not let Universal know how much we want these? I was asking a simple question, not demanding the next edition be released next month.

thanxal
08-08-2018, 03:31 PM
It does seem a tad disrespectful to demand product, then upon receipt of it, cry " What's next?" So soon.

Who was "demanding" anything? I've always been appreciative of Andy and George's work and don't recall ever complaining of time lines.

TheMotownManiac
08-08-2018, 03:48 PM
I’M demanding ALL EDITIONS IMMEDIATELY - NO EXCUSES!

snakepit
08-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Who was "demanding" anything? I've always been appreciative of Andy and George's work and don't recall ever complaining of time lines.
Who said I was referring to you?

sup_fan
08-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Also when did the albums stop being released in mono and stereo? or are there any significant track differences between the S and M releases?

We know that they have unreleased material like Disney, various live shows, the TV specials. They did include on More Hits the medley from Where The Action Is. perhaps they'd include some of their tv [[non TCB and GIT) work. if they can get the rights

I'd also be interested in how the live show evolved over the DRATS era. the Talk of Town was recorded during early 68 on the Europe tour. not sure of exact month off the top of my head. That was a totally new show from the Copa 67 show or the hollywood bowl show which has circulated via bootlegs. So between May 67 and spring 68, where there any other significant changes to their show - doubt it

then we have farewell from Jan 70. So between spring 68 and Jan 70, how did the show change? when was Aquarius introduced? was it maybe just introduced as a regular song but then evolved into the huge group sing-a-long that we got on Farewell? Did the Funny Girl medley enter their act for a while?

thanxal
08-08-2018, 04:01 PM
i’m demanding all editions immediately - no excuses!
lol ;) !!!!

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
08-08-2018, 04:20 PM
I can't imagine a two-disc version of any of the DRATS albums, unless they would include Talk of the Town on the Reflections set. I would certainly buy a one disc set of any of the DRATS albums remastered with some alternate takes/unreleased tracks.

For Reflections my guess would be there is plenty of alternate versions/Mixes for 2 CD expanded edition. However, I am sure there will included a unreleased live show with a few alternate takes. I really hope this is not the case. I hope Reflections is like A Go-Go with tons of alternate mixes/versions and no live recordings. My hope would be that they do an unreleased live show for Love Child so we can at least get a double cd out of that album with a few alternate mixes to fill it up. After that I doubt there is enough material to fill up 2 cds for the remaining albums. Something I wish they would have done with the Expanded Editions, taking way the live recordings from Meet The Supremes, Where Did Our Love Go and More Hits they could have included A Bit Of Liverpool paired with Where Did Our Love Go Expanded, Sing Country, Western & Pop With Meet The Supremes and We Remember Sam Cooke With More Hits. They would have fit minus the live recordings.

Thornton
08-08-2018, 05:06 PM
Also when did the albums stop being released in mono and stereo? or are there any significant track differences between the S and M releases?

We know that they have unreleased material like Disney, various live shows, the TV specials. They did include on More Hits the medley from Where The Action Is. perhaps they'd include some of their tv [[non TCB and GIT) work. if they can get the rights

I'd also be interested in how the live show evolved over the DRATS era. the Talk of Town was recorded during early 68 on the Europe tour. not sure of exact month off the top of my head. That was a totally new show from the Copa 67 show or the hollywood bowl show which has circulated via bootlegs. So between May 67 and spring 68, where there any other significant changes to their show - doubt it

then we have farewell from Jan 70. So between spring 68 and Jan 70, how did the show change? when was Aquarius introduced? was it maybe just introduced as a regular song but then evolved into the huge group sing-a-long that we got on Farewell? Did the Funny Girl medley enter their act for a while?

I would be interested as well. We don't have any live recordings of "Some Things You Never Get Used To," "I'm Livin' In shame," "The Composer," or "No Matter What Sign You Are" to my knowledge. The live version of "Love Child" from the Farewell concert is not their strongest showing either, so an alternate live version would be welcome. I haven't heard even an excerpt of one of their concerts between "Talk of the Town" and "Farewell."

sup_fan
08-08-2018, 05:29 PM
it's surprising that there aren't more fan bootlegs floating around.

I have an old cassette tape of some potential Live Live Live tracks - i think it was labeled being recorded at 20 Grand? i'd have to dig it out. if my memory serves me well, they do pretty much the same songs like WDOLG, People, You're heart belongs. But what sticks out in my memory is the way Flo ad libbed and ended People. I remember it being different from what we're received on these expanded editions. so i need to go back and listen again.

then there was the supposed Roostertail 66 live show bootleg but really was as mashup between Roosertail and Copa 65.

anyway that's really it when it comes to bootlegs of live shows with Diana. i'm surprised there isn't stuff floating around from the later DRATS era or anything from their long farewell tour.

People have speculated on here if Some Things, Composer, Sign were ever really introduced into the live act. the general consensus is if they were, it was brief. and potentially maybe they never were

vgalindo
08-08-2018, 05:42 PM
For Reflections my guess would be there is plenty of alternate versions/Mixes for 2 CD expanded edition. However, I am sure there will included a unreleased live show with a few alternate takes. I really hope this is not the case. I hope Reflections is like A Go-Go with tons of alternate mixes/versions and no live recordings. My hope would be that they do an unreleased live show for Love Child so we can at least get a double cd out of that album with a few alternate mixes to fill it up. After that I doubt there is enough material to fill up 2 cds for the remaining albums. Something I wish they would have done with the Expanded Editions, taking way the live recordings from Meet The Supremes, Where Did Our Love Go and More Hits they could have included A Bit Of Liverpool paired with Where Did Our Love Go Expanded, Sing Country, Western & Pop With Meet The Supremes and We Remember Sam Cooke With More Hits. They would have fit minus the live recordings.
I love the live shows and I wouldn't change a thing from the previous expanded editions. IMO. I prefer not to have other albums added.

sup_fan
08-08-2018, 06:03 PM
the supremes were practically as much as about image and presentation as they were with what they delivered on vinyl. To not have the live shows and videos really eliminates an integral part of the whole supremes magic.

it is hard to realize today but, as has been heavily quoted, the image of female black artists was extremely limited. the public view was somewhat limited with either Mammy or Prissy stereotypes. Few movies or tv programs showed them as educated, glamorous, sophisticated, powerful, strong women. The Supremes were truly revolutionary in changing this throughout US and global media.

diana has said the Supremes were some of the first black women that men [[black and white) could see in the broad media and find as beautiful, sexy, alluring, erotic. Sure there were gorgeous and talented women ahead of the Sups. but never on the global scale across all forms of media - billboards, music, tv, movies, magazine covers, posters, displays in mainstream stores, nightclubs, sock hops, arenas, etc.

LoveSupreme
08-08-2018, 06:44 PM
I don’t really care for any DRATS expanded editions because the material on these released albums were so mediocre and besides, by this point it wasn’t really Diana Ross and the Supremes but Diana Ross and studio background singers.

08-08-2018, 08:22 PM
I don’t really care for any DRATS expanded editions because the material on these released albums were so mediocre and besides, by this point it wasn’t really Diana Ross and the Supremes but Diana Ross and studio background singers.

Yeah, as far and Mary and Cindy are concerned we know they are only on 3 cuts from Love Child. Let The Sunshine Mary and Cindy on Will This Be The Day, Mary and Marlene on What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted, and Everyday People and Hey Western Union Man I don't know. Cream of The Crop I'm not sure but prob 2-3 cuts of actual Supremes.

TheMotownManiac
08-08-2018, 08:37 PM
I love the live albums and insist on more More MORE!!!

Anyone NOT wanting them is just plain wrong - and I can prove it because, I, I, I DO want them! Now that THAT’S settled, i’m Happy for alternate vocals, arrangements, backgrounds etc of even the mediocrist* DR&TS material [[of which there is lots) just for the few nuggets of gold to be mined. You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

I ‘I love the live variations because I dig hearing how they evolved - I want it all and I want it now. I don’t give a hoot who’s on bg because 3 of my fave records dont have Mary & Flo on them and they are perfect and iconic with a The A’s, Waters’ or Mary ‘n Marlene. It didn’t matter to the public either - a good record is a good record regardless of who’s on bg - if it’s a good bg - it’s a good bg - period.

i think the boys are doing a great job and I’m gratefully supporting every drop of previously unreleased anything. CD or, .......gulp - .......even digital.

*Yes, that’s a word...........now.

vgalindo
08-08-2018, 09:44 PM
I love the live albums and insist on more More MORE!!!

Anyone NOT wanting them is just plain wrong - and I can prove it because, I, I, I DO want them! Now that THAT’S settled, i’m Happy for alternate vocals, arrangements, backgrounds etc of even the mediocrist* DR&TS material [[of which there is lots) just for the few nuggets of gold to be mined. You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

I ‘I love the live variations because I dig hearing how they evolved - I want it all and I want it now. I don’t give a hoot who’s on bg because 3 of my fave records dont have Mary & Flo on them and they are perfect and iconic with a The A’s, Waters’ or Mary ‘n Marlene. It didn’t matter to the public either - a good record is a good record regardless of who’s on bg - if it’s a good bg - it’s a good bg - period.

i think the boys are doing a great job and I’m gratefully supporting every drop of previously unreleased anything. CD or, .......gulp - .......even digital.

*Yes, that’s a word...........now.
Thank you. I agree 💯

bradsupremes
08-08-2018, 10:02 PM
People have speculated on here if Some Things, Composer, Sign were ever really introduced into the live act. the general consensus is if they were, it was brief. and potentially maybe they never were

"Forever Came Today," "Some Things You Never Get Used To," and "I'm Living In Shame" were all in their live act for brief moments, but taken out when the songs weren't the smash hits Motown hoped they would be. Some on here have said they saw them do "Some Things" in the summer of '68 and Cindy has said they did "Living In Shame" for a bit, but was taken out because Diana didn't like singing it.

bradsupremes
08-08-2018, 10:11 PM

Reflections was the last Supremes album to have a mono and stereo mix. Surprisingly, I have never heard the mono mix of the album. I have the 1991 CD which is the stereo mix and the two LP copies I own are also stereo. I do know "Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)" on the mono mix of the album has a different Diana vocal.

I may be in the minority here, but I would love to see an expanded edition of the Sing Rodgers & Hart album. The mono mix of the album hasn't been released on CD. The 1987 Rodgers & Hart Collection were new mixes. The 2002 CD reissue was the stereo album with the bonus tracks culled from the 80's Rodgers & Hart Collection mixes. I would love to see the mono and stereo mixes remastered on disc one and brand new mixes of all the tracks on disc two.

noel181
08-08-2018, 11:51 PM
Reflections was NOT the last Supremes album to have a mono and stereo mix.
Both Love Child And Sing And Perform Funny Girl were released in mono as Promotional Releases to DJs. Perhaps tracks recorded for Some Things You Never Get Used To &
Sing & Perform The Disney Classics might also have both mixes.

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
08-09-2018, 03:38 AM
Reflections was the last Supremes album to have a mono and stereo mix. Surprisingly, I have never heard the mono mix of the album. I have the 1991 CD which is the stereo mix and the two LP copies I own are also stereo. I do know "Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)" on the mono mix of the album has a different Diana vocal.

I finally tracked down a mono mix of the Reflections album last year. There are a few differences here and there, but the two that stood out to my ears were the Smokey songs, "Then" [[a bit longer on the fade out) and "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart", which has a fantastic mid 60's sound. The drums seem to really pop in a way I didn't get on the stereo mix. I've never really played this album that much in its stereo mix and I guess the mono mix didn't change my opinion much, but I do enjoy having it all the same.

Ollie9
08-09-2018, 07:25 AM

I may be in the minority here, but I would love to see an expanded edition of the Sing Rodgers & Hart album. The mono mix of the album hasn't been released on CD. The 1987 Rodgers & Hart Collection were new mixes. The 2002 CD reissue was the stereo album with the bonus tracks culled from the 80's Rodgers & Hart Collection mixes. I would love to see the mono and stereo mixes remastered on disc one and brand new mixes of all the tracks on disc two.

I totally agree. Florence and Mary have never sounded better then on this album and their featured on every song. I thought the remastering on the 2002 release sounded a little cold so would love for another remaster with anything new to be found. Perhaps Florence singing "Manhattan".

reese
08-09-2018, 08:58 AM
Both Love Child And Sing And Perform Funny Girl were released in mono as Promotional Releases to DJs. Perhaps tracks recorded for Some Things You Never Get Used To &

I have a mono version of the THE SUPREMES JOIN THE TEMPTS album as well.

sup_fan
08-09-2018, 10:51 AM

it might be that Reflections was the last album to have two versions released with differences in the tracks. i probably won't get the technical language right but perhaps after Reflections the mono albums are simply the stereo versions that have been adjusted for the difference vs two separate albums.

bradsupremes
08-09-2018, 12:28 PM

It is widely believed those promotional DJ releases were fold-down mono of the stereo mixes. I doubt Motown was going to spend a lot of time mixing the albums in mono if it was focused strictly on releasing stereo albums publicly.

sup_fan
08-09-2018, 12:58 PM
^that's the wording i was looking for lol

Monaural technology was slipping to second tier status by the late 60s. the public was shifting to stereo when purchasing speakers and equipment.

noel181
08-09-2018, 10:30 PM
Regarding the song LOVE CHILD I have a note that this track from the promotional release is an alternate version from the stereo album. I don't know where I got this information from but possibly either the Motown Forum or Motown Treasures.
According to DFTMC the first pressing in mono was unreleased. The second pressing in mono was released as the 45 single. The stereo album is version 3.
Therefore it could be that the mono promo LP has the first pressing.
So the others maybe fold-down tracks but this track is not.

marybrewster
08-10-2018, 01:24 AM
I hope the "Reflections" EE includes the cover art with Flo/Cindy combined.

thanxal
08-10-2018, 09:39 AM
I hope the "Reflections" EE includes the cover art with Flo/Cindy combined.
Is this what was on the original release or is it something different? I've never seen any alternate cover art for Reflections.

Fourtopsbiggestfan
08-10-2018, 12:13 PM
I've heard about the ALTERNATE cover that has Flo. You'd have to take a chance and peel your cover off and look to see if you have a copy with the used cover slapped on top of the original. Very BEATLE like mystery.

sup_fan
08-10-2018, 12:49 PM
yes there is an image that was used on motown 45 sleeves that showed an early mockup of the album art. it seems truly odd as reflections [[the single) wasn't even released until AFTER flo was officially out of the group. much less become a hit and the title track to a full lp. and the lp wasn't released until March 68. Flo definitely wasn't coming back. so to have an initial album mockup like this is puzzling.

i've wondered if it wasn't just a mistake. whomever was working on the lp art, pulled it together but then someone was like - what? are you an idiot? and the graphics were rightfully changed.

but then when another person was compiling all of the lp images for the next set of 45 sleeves, they grabbed the wrong art file

it has been said that some of the released lps had the NEW artwork pasted over the old. which would mean that the art was still in place all the way up to the initial print runs.

thanxal
08-10-2018, 01:52 PM
I've heard about the ALTERNATE cover that has Flo. You'd have to take a chance and peel your cover off and look to see if you have a copy with the used cover slapped on top of the original. Very BEATLE like mystery.
If you kept peeling, would you eventually find Jimmy Hoffa?

Thanks, I never knew about this piece of Supremes intrigue.

marybrewster
08-10-2018, 03:44 PM
I tried to find the cover art, but found this thread from 2014 instead:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?11247-The-Reflections-LP-Cover

CoolKatz
08-10-2018, 07:29 PM
It makes sense that Florence was on the cover. Even though she was fired from the Supremes, she was still under contract to Motown. Diana was still mentioning her in some of the early interviews as well. In addition she was on the first two DRATS singles A and B sides plus they pulled a Meet the Supremes song for the B-side of Forever Came today. Having said all of this I think they wanted to be she was gone and that Cindy would really work before they really moved on. I think Flo signed her release around February of 68 or so. Reflections the album was released in March. By this time Cindy was fully in place so it was safe to remove Flo and consequently try to erase her

zani57
08-14-2018, 04:32 AM
Just throwing this thought out there. What if instead of "Reflections" [[Expanded), "Love Child" [[Expanded), "Let the Sunshine In" [[Expanded) and "Cream of the Crop" [[Expanded) that the route taken is similar to what was done with the '70s Supremes with a two-part anthology. Part One could have "Reflections" and "Love Child" along with "Talk of the Town" and perhaps other live material. And Part Two could be "Let the Sunshine In" and "Cream of the Crop" along with an expanded "Farewell."
Just wondering if that is something under consideration by Andy, George, etc.

sup_fan
08-14-2018, 11:13 AM
^one difference between the DRATS albums and the 70s albums is that the actual albums themselves for DRATS are available digitally today whereas the 70s had not been released. you can go right now to itunes and download all 4 albums. Now if there are some audio differences between mono and stereo, those are not captured. and of course all of the editorial content and unreleased material..

but similar to your idea might be doing some sort of L&F overview of the DRATS era

luke
08-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Maniac wants everything released and is grateful. He has passed the Motown /Supremes litmus test!

longtimefan
08-17-2018, 10:37 AM
^one difference between the DRATS albums and the 70s albums is that the actual albums themselves for DRATS are available digitally today whereas the 70s had not been released. you can go right now to itunes and download all 4 albums. Now if there are some audio differences between mono and stereo, those are not captured. and of course all of the editorial content and unreleased material..

but similar to your idea might be doing some sort of L&F overview of the DRATS era

I am not sure that I understand. Are you saying that The 70s Supremes are not available digitally? In fact, they are all available on iTunes including their compilations with Four Tops and the two "box-booklet" sets.

booty
08-18-2018, 04:41 AM
it's surprising that there aren't more fan bootlegs floating around.

I have an old cassette tape of some potential Live Live Live tracks - i think it was labeled being recorded at 20 Grand? i'd have to dig it out. if my memory serves me well, they do pretty much the same songs like WDOLG, People, You're heart belongs. But what sticks out in my memory is the way Flo ad libbed and ended People. I remember it being different from what we're received on these expanded editions. so i need to go back and listen again.

then there was the supposed Roostertail 66 live show bootleg but really was as mashup between Roosertail and Copa 65.

anyway that's really it when it comes to bootlegs of live shows with Diana. i'm surprised there isn't stuff floating around from the later DRATS era or anything from their long farewell tour.

There are ... good quality too c/w booklets14538

Includes the Mono & Stereo albums, a few bonus tracks and a live set "Live In Europe, 1968 - At the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, 4th March 1968"

LoveSupreme
08-20-2018, 11:46 AM
There are ... good quality too c/w booklets14538

Includes the Mono & Stereo albums, a few bonus tracks and a live set "Live In Europe, 1968 - At the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, 4th March 1968"

They performed that concert two days before I was born!!! :)

zani57
11-04-2018, 03:51 PM
Hi —
Without sounding ungrateful for the expanded “Sing H-D-H,” I am wondering if anyone has seen/read anything about “Reflections Expanded”? I am not on Facebook so am not able to view posts/hints there. I don’t know if George Solomon will see this thread, but I would appreciate any kind of update. Thank you very much.

George Solomon
11-04-2018, 04:59 PM
I can just say we're working hard to continue the expanded editions. Creatively, it's not a problem. Where Universal is concerned it's a waiting game for all of us. Please know that if there's something official to announce we will happily do it!

thanxal
11-04-2018, 05:27 PM
I can just say we're working hard to continue the expanded editions. Creatively, it's not a problem. Where Universal is concerned it's a waiting game for all of us. Please know that if there's something official to announce we will happily do it!
George, thanks again for all your hard work. The previous sets are so good it is hard not to get excited about what comes next. I'll be waiting in eager anticipation for any announcement.
Sincerely,
Thanxal.

daviddh
11-04-2018, 05:53 PM
I am assuming that Reflections was originally released in march 1968, I am assuming that this may come around march 2019. just guessing of course.
I am hoping we get more Kevin Reeves mixs and less live sets.
thanks you George and team for all U do

sup_fan
11-04-2018, 08:03 PM
unfortunately most of the released really aren't being timed with any corresponding original release date. a few of them have but seems like more are coming out whenever Universal seems to get them scheduled.

zani57
11-05-2018, 12:57 AM
George, thank you very much! I am sure when the expanded edition is released that it will be excellent. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

jobeterob
11-05-2018, 02:16 AM
Some information here on future releases

http://www.soulmusic.com/motown-spotlight-october-2018/

PeaceNHarmony
11-05-2018, 08:14 AM
And we will be happy to hear! You & your team have been consistently providing great editions for us fans and like the rest of us I thank you!

marybrewster
11-05-2018, 09:49 PM
When you look at the overall catalog, from "Meet the Supremes" up to "Relections", this is where things really start to get good. You've got Flo's departure, the end of HDH, the name change of Supremes to DRATS, the amping up of the Andantes.....historically, what an important release.

marybrewster
11-05-2018, 10:00 PM

Hi Mr. George!

It may be a moot point, but is there anything the fans can do? Short of a letter writing campaign or flooding someone's email or hashtagging on Twitter, can our voices assist at all in getting your hard work to see the light of day? I know that sales [[good or bad) speak for themselves, but perhaps there's something other than posting here that can help the process?

Bluebrock
11-06-2018, 03:51 AM
Hi Mr. George!

It may be a moot point, but is there anything the fans can do? Short of a letter writing campaign or flooding someone's email or hashtagging on Twitter, can our voices assist at all in getting your hard work to see the light of day? I know that sales [[good or bad) speak for themselves, but perhaps there's something other than posting here that can help the process?
Great idea Mary! We must all play our part in the process. Over to you George.....

Fullfillingnessfirstfinale
11-06-2018, 05:58 AM
Maybe someone could help me to clarify, my version of "Reflections" are ending with spoken words "Reflections" and no fade out. Is that the extended stero mix which is here mentioned or it´s another one?

Further questions to the experts, is there maybe a live version of "Forever came today" in the faults ?

Thanx for help and any answers

sup_fan
11-06-2018, 11:42 AM
originally the song was going to have a stop ending. the original version did NOT repeat the choruses but went straight into ending. on the version on the #1, if you cut from 2:30 to 3:02 or so, that's how the song would have run.

the original also had the "all in vain, reflections remain" backing vocals at the end of the bridge.

it's interesting to hear the different versions, although i think the released one was the best.

As for Forever, the closest we currently have to a live version is the one on Ed Sullivan. I actually think the girls are all singing live, which is unusual. the handclaps by M and C certainly sound live and Diana is singing live into her mic. It's possible that they incorporated the song into their live shows for a period but they might not have. it was pretty clear pretty quickly that the song was not going to be a smash.

bradsupremes
11-06-2018, 02:39 PM
As for Forever, the closest we currently have to a live version is the one on Ed Sullivan. I actually think the girls are all singing live, which is unusual. the handclaps by M and C certainly sound live and Diana is singing live into her mic. It's possible that they incorporated the song into their live shows for a period but they might not have. it was pretty clear pretty quickly that the song was not going to be a smash.

It was in their live shows for a short time. I have a review from a show they did in Cleveland, Ohio in March 1968 and it talks about how they premiered their latest single "Forever Came Today."

sup_fan
11-06-2018, 04:13 PM
^very cool! so maybe they will be able to include some live content in a Reflections Expanded release

the Sullivan version is interesting in that M and C don't even attempt to figure out the backing vocals and just sing Ahhhhhh.

marybrewster
11-06-2018, 09:58 PM
^very cool! so maybe they will be able to include some live content in a Reflections Expanded release

the Sullivan version is interesting in that M and C don't even attempt to figure out the backing vocals and just sing Ahhhhhh.

Funny, I've heard the song hundreds of times and have seen the Sullivan clip just as many, and never realized the difference.

sup_fan
11-06-2018, 11:02 PM
There have been some old posts over the years here trying to decipher what the hell the andantes are saying. But it’s a challenge. I can’t remember exactly what it is but something along the lines of “I got a man” and some other lines. But yeah. For the show they just kept Ahhh-ing lol

Fullfillingnessfirstfinale
11-07-2018, 05:08 AM
Yes, I was the one who ask for the backround vocals as "MrLonleyheart", there are:
Ah, ah-hah. Now I've got my love at last.
Ah, ah-hah, Now my loneliness has passed.
At that time it was the greatest dissapointment for me, that no Supreme were on the record, only Diana. I recognized this, as I heard the live version on Ed Sullivan, so it would be interesting to know, if any live version exists by the group, where the girls sing the above mentioned vocals in the backround.

longtimefan
11-07-2018, 12:32 PM
Some information here on future releases

http://www.soulmusic.com/motown-spotlight-october-2018/

SAD!! Future release plans are “sketchy” [[REFLECTIONS) and there are cans of unreleased Diana material.

My reading: The work involved won’t make Motown/Ume enough money, i.e., “follow the money!!l”. So many fans are disappointed. Three cheers for “bootlegs!” At least we get something!

thanxal
11-07-2018, 12:39 PM
SAD!! Future release plans are “sketchy” [[REFLECTIONS) and there are cans of unreleased material.

My reading: The work involved won’t make them enough money, i.e., “follow tge money!!l”
Yeah, but when haven't they been uncertain? Just keep buying them and hope for the best.

sup_fan
11-07-2018, 01:46 PM
using basic business knowledge, if a product is profitable then produce more of it. if it is not profitable, explore cost reduction methods or cancel the product.

here's a list of all of the various expanded and reissued that have come out for the Sups/Diana:

2001 - Diana Anthology
2002 - 70s Anthology
2002 - R&H complete recordings
2002 - Diana 70 expanded edition
2003 - #1's
2003 - Diana 1980 expanded
2003 - To Love Again expanded
2004 - There's a Place For Us released
2004 - Sups & Tempts complete duets
2004 - Where Did Our Love Go expanded
2006 - Blue
2006 - Reflections dvd set
2006 - Jean Terrell box set
2007 - Last Time I Saw Him expanded
2008 - Everything is Everything expanded
2008 - Surrender expanded
2008 - Lost & Found Sups
2009 - Magnificent duets
2009 - Touch Me in the AM expanded
2010 - meet Sups expanded set
2011 - Sups on Ed Sullivan dvd
2011 - Let Yourself Go set
2011 - 50th Anniver Singles set
2011 - More hits expanded
2012 - I Hear A Symphony expanded
2012 - Copa expanded
2012 - Ross expanded
2014 - rerelease of all Sups and Diana lps
2014 - Baby It's me expanded
2014 - Funny Girl
2015 - Diana RCA albums expanded editions
2015 - Diana Wiz
2015 - Sup Merry Xmas
2017 - A Go Go
2018 - Sing HDH

this is a significant list of product and so logic would tell us that there'll be another release. they more or less seem to get one in every 12 - 18 months. Since HDH came out in April 2018, i'm guessing they probably won't have another release for us until well into 2019

thommg
11-07-2018, 02:56 PM
using basic business knowledge, if a product is profitable then produce more of it. if it is not profitable, explore cost reduction methods or cancel the product.

While I would normally support this statement, I know from fact that many companies now take into consideration how much profit they will make and if the amount is not large enough then they aren't willing to put in the work. I believe that is what is holding things up. It's not that these releases don't make a profit, but that they don't make enough profit.

sup_fan
11-07-2018, 04:33 PM
^completely agree. it isn't always a positive/negative profit analysis but what project[[s) will bring in the most profit and return. So it could be that other projects generate more than Motown or Sup stuff.

Still though my overall point is that we've received a LOT of rare vaulted content on the Supremes. to have 35 releases over 17 years from an artist is amazing and the releases have, generally, been evenly paced. it's not as though things have dramatically dwindled in the last few years. so i don't know that there's any extreme evidence that we won't get more. but you never know. management changes, changing tastes or priorities, etc.

carlo
11-07-2018, 05:34 PM
While I would normally support this statement, I know from fact that many companies now take into consideration how much profit they will make and if the amount is not large enough then they aren't willing to put in the work. I believe that is what is holding things up. It's not that these releases don't make a profit, but that they don't make enough profit.

100%. Unfortunately the music industry is a very different place from what it was, even 5 years ago.

The next item on my music purchase list is to buy a second copy of the Sing HDH Expanded release from Amazon UK, as the price on there is quite affordable. I already have a copy that I purchased upon its initial release, but I like to compare this to making a pledge to public television. If you want to see more of a similar style of content, the guys in charge need to see that there is enough of a desire and support for it. Everything helps.

marybrewster
11-07-2018, 07:40 PM

That's why they should lease the catalog to boutique labels that are willing to take the chance. "Merry Christmas" Expanded did extremely well from what I understand.

daviddh
11-07-2018, 09:27 PM
for a while , things were coming out like clockwork but , as we know, things changed a few years ago. i believe motown universal merged with another company ....i think....and things changed. now the releases seem to slowly come out like a heinz ketchup commercial. it seems we get a ross solo release and one supremes per year but even now that is not certain. it seems thy have been holding ROSS 78 hostage for years.
but I have always felt that they have always kept the Supremes releases top secret. I never have understood this and always thought it would be easy to just release a statement stating next release Reflections march 2019 etc but obviously universal seems to have other plans. I don't think they have the Motown fans as a priority.
my guess we wont see anything until next year,sadly

thanxal
02-01-2019, 09:04 PM
I'm hoping Universal still hears us. "Reflections Expanded Edition" would be a great Spring Surprise.

danman869
02-02-2019, 01:29 AM
I'm hoping Universal still hears us. "Reflections Expanded Edition" would be a great Spring Surprise.

I'd second that!

marybrewster
02-02-2019, 01:54 AM
Motown 60 is the perfect opportunity to start those releases coming!

Diana has done some high profile events as of late and quite a few more on the calendar.

The iron is hot!

vgalindo
02-02-2019, 02:03 AM
It would be wonderful to get Ross 78 for all the celebrations for Diana Ross' birthday. Grammy celebration, Central Park theatrical release, etc. Ross 78 would be the icing on the cake.

thanxal
02-02-2019, 07:58 AM
It would be wonderful to get Ross 78 for all the all the celebrations for Diana Ross' birthday. Grammy celebration, Central Park theatrical release, etc. Ross 78 would be the icing on the cake.
Universal is probably waiting until her 78th birthday!!!

daviddh
02-02-2019, 08:06 AM
It would be wonderful to get Ross 78 for all the all the celebrations for Diana Ross' birthday. Grammy celebration, Central Park theatrical release, etc. Ross 78 would be the icing on the cake.
from your lips to gods ears
I am hoping the same. it would be a great 2019 with the release of Ross78 and Reflections .
with her personal appearances her sales are up recently.
would love to see what Kevin Reeves does with Forever Came Today. I always felt it sounded like a demo. theres a version on the Japanese hits cd that is a bit different.
I have become a huge fan of kevin reeves work

vgalindo
02-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Universal is probably waiting until her 78th birthday!!!
That wouldn't surprise me. Lol

zani57
03-16-2019, 04:41 AM
Saw this post over in the "Motown Forum" --

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?22940-Don-t-want-to-get-anyone-s-hopes-up-but

One of the things that surprises me is that it says that "Reflections" [[Expanded) is not yet greenlit. I thought George Solomon was clear that this title was in the works.

Anyone else have different information?
Thank you.

thanxal
03-16-2019, 08:39 AM

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?22940-Don-t-want-to-get-anyone-s-hopes-up-but

One of the things that surprises me is that it says that "Reflections" [[Expanded) is not yet greenlit. I thought George Solomon was clear that this title was in the works.

Thank you.
No, but things have a way of changing on them rapidly.

bradsupremes
03-16-2019, 01:31 PM

Thank you.

I think it’s very much “Hurry up and wait.” Universal may say they want the next album, but nothing is going to happen if the go-ahead isn’t approved. We all could be waiting two years for the next release and then suddenly Universal could say on Monday they want Reflections right now.

I would love to know who the people are that give the thumbs up. Clearly they don’t know a damn thing about business.

daviddh
03-16-2019, 03:09 PM
overall frustrating, . it just gets old. and so am I. by the time they get back on track I may need a hearing aid to listen to the next expanded edition

bradsupremes
03-16-2019, 03:23 PM
The fact that it's mid-March and we've only seen two Marvin Gaye releases [[You're The Man in vinyl and digital / A Tribute To Nat King Cole digital only) and no word on anything else is beginning to prove Motown 60 is going to be a bust. If they were smart they'd be doing 3-4 releases per quarter.

Circa 1824
03-16-2019, 06:43 PM
If Ross really wanted to make her fans happy, she would go to those in charge and promise to promote these expanded editions on social media and her concerts to insure higher sales. This might ensure their release.

[[If she wanted to make her fans happy, she would also get a new live show.)

daviddh
03-16-2019, 06:50 PM
honestly i am surprised she hasnt promoted them in the past. but at the same time, when I saw her live, she did have a few up on the big screen behind her. I remember the Lost and Found had just come out and she had it up on the big screen behind her.

Fourtopsbiggestfan
03-21-2019, 03:26 PM
Seems to me she's sold out and turned away from the definitive Motown era. Too much focus on the rediculious disco/80's sounds. Doesn't care about the r&b crowd. Everyone overlooks the r&b crowd. Panders to the overrated pop people.

03-22-2019, 12:49 PM
The fact that it's mid-March and we've only seen two Marvin Gaye releases [[You're The Man in vinyl and digital / A Tribute To Nat King Cole digital only) and no word on anything else is beginning to prove Motown 60 is going to be a bust. If they were smart they'd be doing 3-4 releases per quarter.

Hope that's not the case, but you'd think we would at least get an announcement of what is to come this year. George, Andy, and Harry have been pretty quiet for the most part so they could be working on several releases.

daviddh
03-23-2019, 02:17 PM
Hope that's not the case, but you'd think we would at least get an announcement of what is to come this year. George, Andy, and Harry have been pretty quiet for the most part so they could be working on several releases.
lets hope dianas b day next week will bring a new announcement,....finally

Bluebrock
03-23-2019, 02:26 PM
lets hope dianas b day next week will bring a new announcement,....finally
Amen to that!

vgalindo
03-23-2019, 05:16 PM
It just seems like another missed opportunity. Her birthday is just a few days away and nothing. Really disappointed with Universal.

lakeside
03-23-2019, 06:16 PM
overall frustrating, . it just gets old. and so am I. by the time they get back on track I may need a hearing aid to listen to the next expanded edition
I'm bordering on a bedside commode myself.

daviddh
03-24-2019, 09:21 AM
just to think that even with a announcement, we have to wait at least another month or two for the actual release. I would have had the new album released on her b day

bradsupremes
03-24-2019, 09:24 PM
We're almost finished with March and nothing. The end of the first quarter of the year is coming to an end. Even if something was announced on Diana's birthday, it'd be at least a month before we'd see anything and that'd be late April/early May. This is a sign of what to expect for Motown 60. A few releases [[digitally) and that's about it. Motown 50 was a wet fart. I see Universal is keeping the tradition going for this one.

05-01-2019, 05:54 PM
Any rumors of it coming or have thing been put on hold for now?

daviddh
05-01-2019, 07:16 PM
i thought Ross 78 was next but who knows, but with all Dianas appearances and motown 60 , you would think we would have heard something. figures universal would be the ones NOT celebrating Dianas or Marys B days and or motown 60.

05-01-2019, 09:35 PM
i thought Ross 78 was next but who knows, but with all Dianas appearances and motown 60 , you would think we would have heard something. figures universal would be the ones NOT celebrating Dianas or Marys B days and or motown 60.

Yeah I think Universal needs someone else in charge.

daviddh
05-04-2019, 10:49 AM
just found my copy of Supremes Japan Quad mixs, i really like the backing vocals on Forever Came Today on this collection. i always thought this song was a demo sounding track. it has grown on me and now realise it was a bit head of its time. great Ross vocal. i few more tweeks this song could have been huge.
thx universal for delivering again.not!

thanxal
05-05-2019, 09:12 PM
just found my copy of Supremes Japan Quad mixs, i really like the backing vocals on Forever Came Today on this collection. i always thought this song was a demo sounding track. it has grown on me and now realise it was a bit head of its time. great Ross vocal. i few more tweeks this song could have been huge.
thx universal for delivering again.not!
I don't see many of these tracks on Youtube, which is unusual. I'm guessing there was never a CD release?

sup_fan
05-07-2019, 03:19 PM
it's a challenge finding these. another rare track is the unedited version of You Can't Hurry Love with the instrumental break before verse 2. This was originally released in the US on the reel-to-reel edition of A Go Go and i think it was also included on the Japanese Quad Greatest Hits. I finally find it on youtube and downloaded it.

zani57
06-30-2019, 04:23 AM
Pride Weekend. 50 Years since Stonewall.
Any word/rumors about the release of Expanded "Reflections"? Anything? Nothing? Crickets?

PeaceNHarmony
06-30-2019, 07:13 AM
Pride Weekend. 50 Years since Stonewall.
Any word/rumors about the release of Expanded "Reflections"? Anything? Nothing? Crickets?Yes! And I'm riding my Ducati Scrambler with the Sirens Motorcycle Club in NYC's Pride March today. Hopefully someone ... European ... will hear our request for the expanded 'Reflections'!

daviddh
06-30-2019, 10:22 AM
Universal has dropped the ball again.
Mary ..Diana and now Flos b day have passed and nothing.

George Solomon
06-30-2019, 11:46 AM
Everyone has wanted this and talked about it for so long I think it's unfair for me not to comment. I can't promise anything but I believe Universal will release the Reflections Expanded Edition. It just doesn't have an official release date and with a lot of things going on at Universal it's on a back burner. You know how Andy and I feel and I know for sure that Harry wants it out there also. I think it would be a major step down to just put this out as a mono/stereo with previously released mixes of songs that fit the timeline. Let's just hope that things work out, it moves to the front of the line and gets the attention it deserves. When that happens, I believe it will be another excellent release.

vgalindo
06-30-2019, 02:36 PM
Everyone has wanted this and talked about it for so long I think it's unfair for me not to comment. I can't promise anything but I believe Universal will release the Reflections Expanded Edition. It just doesn't have an official release date and with a lot of things going on at Universal it's on a back burner. You know how Andy and I feel and I know for sure that Harry wants it out there also. I think it would be a major step down to just put this out as a mono/stereo with previously released mixes of songs that fit the timeline. Let's just hope that things work out, it moves to the front of the line and gets the attention it deserves. When that happens, I believe it will be another excellent release.
Thanks so much George. I know it will be beautiful when it does get released. I also still have my fingers crossed for Ross 78. Again I want to thank you guys for the wonderful work you have given us.

lucky2012
06-30-2019, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all you do, George. I look forward to Reflections Expanded Edition.

zani57
06-30-2019, 06:22 PM
Thank you for responding, George. At least you know we are eagerly awaiting this next release in the series. I know when it does come out that it will be exceptional.

daviddh
06-30-2019, 06:42 PM
George. Thank you. We are here waiting. just not understanding universal.

thanxal
07-01-2019, 10:48 AM
Thanks George. We appreciate all your hard work. Is there a physical or virtual address for UMG to which fans could write to express support for the release?

SatansBlues
10-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Speaking of Reflections. Has anyone heard any updates on this release? I posted a couple of messages on Instagram to Classic Motown, but sadly no reply...

thanxal
10-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Nary a peep other than George apologizing for its delay in another thread a while back.

SatansBlues
10-08-2019, 01:10 PM
I'm hoping that Classic Motown surprises its fans and drop both Reflections EE and Ross 78 by the end of this year. I think Ross 78 would be the last Ross solo album from the Classic period that needs the EE treatment.

jobeterob
10-08-2019, 11:45 PM
I think that would be very lucky

Bluebrock
10-09-2019, 02:50 AM
I'm hoping that Classic Motown surprises its fans and drop both Reflections EE and Ross 78 by the end of this year. I think Ross 78 would be the last Ross solo album from the Classic period that needs the EE treatment.
Yes it would be the last solo album from the classic period, but it would be nice to see an expanded Diana and Marvin with all the solo recordings and alternate versions. The expanded edition from the 90's was by no means definitive. Also The Boss could benefit from a makeover, and both of the 70's live albums contain outtakes that could be used, The well is not quite dry yet...

sup_fan
10-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Yes it would be the last solo album from the classic period, but it would be nice to see an expanded Diana and Marvin with all the solo recordings and alternate versions. The expanded edition from the 90's was by no means definitive. Also The Boss could benefit from a makeover, and both of the 70's live albums contain outtakes that could be used, The well is not quite dry yet...

i have the early 2000 release of The Boss with the bonus tracks and of course adore it. frankly my fav Diana album of all time. so thoroughly enjoyable. Would LOVE to know if there are alt versions and other tracks still in the vaults.

i'm a bit perplexed with the Ross 78 EE. my understanding was that they already released the vast majority of the tracks. while for completion sake i'd love to have it, i wonder if they might have been better off doing a DR L&F. fill in the remaining Ross tracks and then others, including any additional alt versions of hits. that might have secured a higher forecasted sales volume and maybe we wouldn't still be waiting

SatansBlues
10-09-2019, 02:04 PM

The Boss album only had 8 tracks on it, the "expanded edition" just contains two 12" remixes of The Boss and It's My House. I've never heard of any other unreleased tracks from the album. I've always wondered if there were any other unreleased tracks from her first solo album in 1970, we got a couple unreleased live tracks from her first solo concert, I would love to have the entire concert released. And do you know for certain that the solo tracks from Diana & Marvin exists? I would love to hear those as well.

sup_fan
10-09-2019, 02:39 PM
i've never heard of any tracks being cut from The Boss [[like the one track cut from Surrender). I don't think A&S typically recorded a lot of excess content. but i've certainly not had the pleasures of digging around motown vault! god - wouldn't have be fun!!!!!

from The Boss we have:

the 8 album tracks
12" versions for Prize, Licked, Boss, House and the Prize/Boss combo

live versions of Prize, all for one, licked [[from the HBO special) and house from a few shows including HBO and central park. The Boss has lots of live versions out there.

JohnnyB
10-09-2019, 03:11 PM
i've never heard of any tracks being cut from The Boss [[like the one track cut from Surrender). I don't think A&S typically recorded a lot of excess content. but i've certainly not had the pleasures of digging around motown vault! god - wouldn't have be fun!!!!!

from The Boss we have:

the 8 album tracks
12" versions for Prize, Licked, Boss, House and the Prize/Boss combo

live versions of Prize, all for one, licked [[from the HBO special) and house from a few shows including HBO and central park. The Boss has lots of live versions out there.

I believe George and Andy alluded to the fact that there are additional tracks from The Boss. I’m not 100% sure about this...

thanxal
10-09-2019, 04:28 PM
I believe George and Andy alluded to the fact that there are additional tracks from The Boss. I’m not 100% sure about this...
I vaguely recall this but can't recall if they mentioned here or on John Perrone's show. I struggle with the search function to find old posts, so maybe someone else can find it.

Bluebrock
10-10-2019, 03:12 AM
The Boss album only had 8 tracks on it, the "expanded edition" just contains two 12" remixes of The Boss and It's My House. I've never heard of any other unreleased tracks from the album. I've always wondered if there were any other unreleased tracks from her first solo album in 1970, we got a couple unreleased live tracks from her first solo concert, I would love to have the entire concert released. And do you know for certain that the solo tracks from Diana & Marvin exists? I would love to hear those as well.
I don't think there are any unreleased tracks from The Boss sessions. Many years ago i did hear from a reliable source that two such songs existed, but Diana herself only recalled cutting the original eight tracks. She is not the most reliable person to ask about her own music, and so i would not take that much notice of what she said, but we most certainly have sufficient remixes to make it a most worthwhile project.
As regards Diana and Marvin we have a few alternate versions that have appeared on compilations, and i do believe we have several solo versions in the vault.
I recall back in the 90's there was a rumour that Diana had blocked the release of a couple of unreleased songs from D&M for inclusion on a Marvin boxset, but i don't believe that to be true. So many rumours...

SatansBlues
10-10-2019, 05:15 PM
I don't think there are any unreleased tracks from The Boss sessions. Many years ago i did hear from a reliable source that two such songs existed, but Diana herself only recalled cutting the original eight tracks. She is not the most reliable person to ask about her own music, and so i would not take that much notice of what she said, but we most certainly have sufficient remixes to make it a most worthwhile project.
As regards Diana and Marvin we have a few alternate versions that have appeared on compilations, and i do believe we have several solo versions in the vault.
I recall back in the 90's there was a rumour that Diana had blocked the release of a couple of unreleased songs from D&M for inclusion on a Marvin boxset, but i don't believe that to be true. So many rumours...

Have you heard any news about a M & D expanded edition with the solo recordings, or any other projects with DR's material?

Bluebrock
10-11-2019, 02:46 AM
Have you heard any news about a M & D expanded edition with the solo recordings, or any other projects with DR's material?
Nothing at all sadly. George and Andy would the first to know if and when there is any news. I know they are as anxious as we are to get product out on the street.It must be even more frustrating for them as it is for us.

daviddh
10-13-2019, 10:35 AM
Give us the downloads. Then......bring it on

lakedistrictlad1
10-13-2019, 04:31 PM
Wow. 125 posts for something that doesn't even exist. That says a lot about how much is fans want this!

thanxal
10-13-2019, 04:38 PM
Wow. 125 posts for something that doesn't even exist. That says a lot about how much is fans want this!
You should have seen the build up for Supremes A Go Go. It was like Christmas with kids on candy and new puppies running around.

daviddh
10-19-2019, 07:20 PM
Do universal doesn't want to release CDs......so why can't we just get a download..........something .....

Soulmusic4life
10-19-2019, 09:09 PM
If no CDs then it's useless. Who wants to bother with that digital complicated crap. CDs better get first priority.

jobeterob
10-19-2019, 09:33 PM
If no CDs then it's useless. Who wants to bother with that digital complicated crap. CDs better get first priority.

Only because they don’t sell anymore - the young guys don’t buy them

caliluv
10-19-2019, 11:31 PM
I am so happy to have all the expansion cds from "Meet The Supremes" up to "H-D-H" however, I sure would like to have expansion discs of the '70s Supremes if any were to become available!

daviddh
10-20-2019, 10:28 AM
Times have changed from 45s and vinyl to 8 track.....cassettes...CDs....digital.
I agree ...I love these expanded and have them all.
But I suppose we have to change with the times.
They reissued the Xmas expanded on CD a while back.still not clear on the hold up. Use the other company.
If it were Elvis or the beetles would it be different...haven't all these CDs sold out.

khansperac
10-20-2019, 12:08 PM
They aren’t looking to put out a CD that sells 5000 copies, when digital releases are streaming in the millions.

thanxal
10-20-2019, 02:32 PM
They aren’t looking to put out a CD that sells 5000 copies, when digital releases are streaming in the millions.
There are A LOT of people who don't get this concept.

zani57
10-21-2019, 06:56 AM
Only because they don’t sell anymore - the young guys don’t buy them
I am 62. I’m a Supremes fan since the ‘60s. Lesser artists get CD releases. The Supremes deserve physical releases.

thanxal
10-21-2019, 08:41 AM
The Supremes deserve physical releases.
Totally agree. If profit weren't the motive behind business we might get everything ever released. I'm not saying profit is the ONLY motive, since I'm sure Universal didn't make a bunch of money on the EEs. We're really at their mercy when they balance between making money and keeping the old folks happy. :)

PeaceNHarmony
10-21-2019, 11:15 AM
I am 62. I’m a Supremes fan since the ‘60s. Lesser artists get CD releases. The Supremes deserve physical releases.Right right right. The Supremes deserve what the Beatles, Stones, and Dylan get. But regretfully the sales figures may be the deciding factor.

SatansBlues
10-21-2019, 12:54 PM
There are A LOT of people who don't get this concept.

I prefer physical cds as well, but that hasn't stopped me from purchasing and enjoying the digital releases. I love having my ipod and most of my musical collection right at my finger tips and its convenient when I do cardio, work out, travel and its fun to create playlists. I have two Motown playlists: one is of my favorite Motown songs, hits and album cuts and it has over 600 songs! It's great to hit shuffle and just let songs play, much like a personalized jukebox. The second playlist that I have is titled the Top 100 Unreleased Motown Songs! Plus its so convenient when I'm just focused on one particular artists to be able to pull up all their music in an instance. As much as I LOVE cds, I actually love the digital downloads even more just because of the convenience of it all.

vgalindo
10-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Right right right. The Supremes deserve what the Beatles, Stones, and Dylan get. But regretfully the sales figures may be the deciding factor.
Exactly. They can’t stop now. We need to complete the Supremes and Diana Ross expanded editions on CD.

Bluebrock
10-21-2019, 04:20 PM
Exactly. They can’t stop now. We need to complete the Supremes and Diana Ross expanded editions on CD.
Sadly they don't appear to agree with us. It looks like another company will have to license the product from Universal.

vgalindo
10-21-2019, 04:26 PM
Sadly they don't appear to agree with us. It looks like another company will have to license the product from Universal.
Yes very sad, especially since we are so close to completing them.

daviddh
10-22-2019, 06:36 PM
Just downloaded the Supremes Quad Hits lp in my iPod. I really like the version of Forever Came Today here.the backing vocals are more audiable. Still think it needs some tweaking but much better than the original version I remember. Can't wait to hear what Kevin Reeves is doing with it.
Also In and Out Of Love has a nice feel to it.

thanxal
10-22-2019, 10:09 PM
Just downloaded the Supremes Quad Hits lp in my iPod. I really like the version of Forever Came Today here.the backing vocals are more audiable. Still think it needs some tweaking but much better than the original version I remember. Can't wait to hear what Kevin Reeves is doing with it.
Also In and Out Of Love has a nice feel to it.
How did you download it? I thought it was vinyl only?

JohnnyB
10-22-2019, 10:37 PM
Yes very sad, especially since we are so close to completing them.

Assuming an Expanded Reflections is released, I hope the final 3 studio albums are then combined into one collection similar to the 70’s Supremes sets to complete the series. Not including the specialty albums, we are so close to completing the Supremes series...

Ollie9
10-23-2019, 07:26 AM
Assuming an Expanded Reflections is released, I hope the final 3 studio albums are then combined into one collection similar to the 70’s Supremes sets to complete the series. Not including the specialty albums, we are so close to completing the Supremes series...

I agree. I'm really hoping the expanded Reflections includes all of the disney songs.

Bluebrock
10-23-2019, 12:04 PM
I agree. I'm really hoping the expanded Reflections includes all of the disney songs.
Unless a deal is struck to license the product we are not likely to hear anything anytime soon.

sup_fan
10-23-2019, 12:11 PM
i think the best route might be to shift to L&F packages. while i don't have insight into the sales figures of past EEs, based on the slowing of material, a L&F approach would allow them to include other rarities and alt versions of hits. which could help bolster sales.

typically the DRATS studio albums didn't sale as strongly as the sup albums did.

Where - 2
More - 6
Symphony - 8
A Go Go - 1
HDH - 6
Reflections - 18
Love Child - 14
Sunshine - 24
Cream - 33

on the positive side, Sing HDH was released in mid 2018. While 2019 is approach the end, we rarely have had a year with 0 releases. so maybe hope isn't lost yet

daviddh
10-23-2019, 08:37 PM
.Quad Hits. I had a friend make me a cd a while back...think I have had for ten years but lost it .....until about a year ago. Glad I was able to find my quad hits..surprised it wasn't released on cd

thanxal
10-23-2019, 09:01 PM
.Quad Hits. I had a friend make me a cd a while back...think I have had for ten years but lost it .....until about a year ago. Glad I was able to find my quad hits..surprised it wasn't released on cd
Ah! Ripping from vinyl. My favorite pastime!

marybrewster
01-17-2020, 01:48 PM
Happy 2020!

Hoping this is the year we see REFLECTIONS Expanded.

xo

vgalindo
01-17-2020, 04:25 PM
Happy 2020!

Hoping this is the year we see REFLECTIONS Expanded.

xo

Yes, I sure hope so. Also Ross 78 is so long overdue.

daviddh
01-17-2020, 06:17 PM
not holding my breath ,almost gave up really but march is the anniversary of the original release . maybe. but since Universal has sat out everything thus far,maybe they are waiting for ......the 70th anniversary

mowsville
01-18-2020, 05:24 AM
If they can pass on re-issuing the Farewell album on its 50th anniversary then I dont hold much hope for Reflections...for gods sake The Supremes are Americas top vocal group of all time surely the 50th anniversary of their final concert together should have been marked but no they would rather release the complete back catalogue of some obscure group that hardly anyone has heard of in expanded editions and coloured vinyl editions and luxury ltd editions...this infuriates me.

carlo
01-18-2020, 03:25 PM
It's really quite sad. If Universal is sleeping on the catalog, then why not pass the ball on to Real Gone? I can only hope that Ms Ross' new studio album is on the way this year and perhaps her new release will open the flood gates for more reissues on CD.

daviddh
01-18-2020, 07:11 PM
It's really quite sad. If Universal is sleeping on the catalog, then why not pass the ball on to Real Gone? I can only hope that Ms Ross' new studio album is on the way this year and perhaps her new release will open the flood gates for more reissues on CD.

Yes but wouldn't it be cool if universal filled the gap.
But as usual we get it all or nothing

thanxal
01-19-2020, 10:55 PM
I know everyone, like me, would like to see this released soon, but the dynamics of the music industry shift frequently. I can't imagine this is much more than an "obligatory" release, eg. not a money maker, maybe a copyright holder. After all, it has been 16 years since the release of the first in this series, WDOLG EE. [[I feel so old).

daviddh
01-21-2020, 02:47 PM
Apparently Universal doesn't want to release cd s..... and digital only.
Why not give us at least digital releases.
A third party was being sought for physical releases

Soulmusic4life
01-21-2020, 04:15 PM
Apparently Universal doesn't want to release cd s..... and digital only.
Why not give us at least digital releases.
A third party was being sought for physical releases

If that's true I hope not one person supports that digital crap. That's stupid. Jeez. This world, I don't know what's happening to it.

Jimi LaLumia
01-23-2020, 10:09 AM
I would think that Universal might be persuaded that, with Diana Ross's name prominent on the Reflections expanded edition, that this volume would outsell all the others, especially with the stellar year coming for Miss Ross; the casual buyers who might have passed on the previous editions will pay [[$$$) a bit more attention with DIANA ROSS in the byline than to the previous Supremes titles..

thanxal
01-23-2020, 10:25 AM
I would think that Universal might be persuaded that, with Diana Ross's name prominent on the Reflections expanded edition, that this volume would outsell all the others, especially with the stellar year coming for Miss Ross; the casual buyers who might have passed on the previous editions will pay [[$$$) a bit more attention with DIANA ROSS in the byline than to the previous Supremes titles..
I would be surprised if that argument hasn't been made already, and again, and again, and again.

Jimi LaLumia
01-23-2020, 10:39 AM
I have found that, in this business, that the obvious gets over looked quite frequently

jobeterob
01-23-2020, 06:22 PM
I would always wish for a CD but that's not the way of the world anymore. That's the way of us "old dudes".

When they did the expanded Baby It's Me [[I think that was the one), I downloaded and printed the booklet etc. Maybe it was Diana Ross Sings Songs From The Wiz.

It CAN be done even by old guys.

daviddh
01-25-2020, 10:12 AM
There's always hope. It was recently announced vinyl outsold CDs last year.
So here's the bottom line.....just release the music and let us pick the form we listen

SatansBlues
01-25-2020, 01:50 PM
There's always hope. It was recently announced vinyl outsold CDs last year.
So here's the bottom line.....just release the music and let us pick the form we listen
It would be great if the fans all had their pick between vinyl, cd, download or streaming. That would make me happy.

thanxal
01-25-2020, 03:47 PM
It would be great if the fans all had their pick between vinyl, cd, download or streaming. That would make me happy.
I would LOVE to see a vinyl version of Reflections EE or any EE really, but most especially Supremes A Go Go. ​

SatansBlues
01-25-2020, 03:52 PM
I would LOVE to see a vinyl version of Reflections EE or any EE really, but most especially Supremes A Go Go. ​

I would love a vinyl release of Unreleased Motown 64 and 66!

marybrewster
02-10-2020, 12:00 AM
"REFLECTIONS" is so important to the Supremes history; the first with the DRATS name, the last with HDH. Of course there's also the Flo / Cindy situation.

Still have my fingers crossed for this one.

daviddh
02-11-2020, 05:28 PM
Next month is the anniversary of its original release but ..I'm not holding my breath.

zani57
03-05-2020, 04:04 PM

Hi, George --
Hope you're doing well. Trying to keep the dream alive here. I know that you can't say anything about a "Reflections: Expanded Edition" before its time, but is there anything you can share at all?
It's now been 53 years since the original release. To quote a solo Diana song, "I'm Still Waitin' "
Thank you, George.

George Solomon
03-05-2020, 06:27 PM
Still trying and hopefully moving in the right direction. We'd love nothing more than to make an official announcement and will absolutely do so as soon as possible. I'd say, thanks for your patience but that would be a gross understatement!

PeaceNHarmony
03-05-2020, 06:39 PM
Still trying and hopefully moving in the right direction. We'd love nothing more than to make an official announcement and will absolutely do so as soon as possible. I'd say, thanks for your patience but that would be a gross understatement!And thanks to you, George, for your efforts with this wonderful series of releases. Be well.

thanxal
03-05-2020, 06:50 PM
Still trying and hopefully moving in the right direction. We'd love nothing more than to make an official announcement and will absolutely do so as soon as possible. I'd say, thanks for your patience but that would be a gross understatement!
Heck, I'd even settle for a wink and a nod.

And yes, thanks for all your hard work on this collection.

daviddh
03-05-2020, 08:04 PM
George and Andy ....and team.
Thank you for all you've done and continue to do....you bring us all together..
But we all are all in withdrawal.
Frustrated.
Seems forever since the last expanded release.....
Don't make us all come down there!!!!!!!
Lol

daviddh
03-07-2020, 09:21 AM
With Diana's love hangover now in top 5...would be cool if we got a Supremes remix to go to up the charts.always thought Forever Came Today was screaming for a new mix.always sounded like a demo run thru to me. Just didn't have the spark like the previous singles. Although I have the faith in Kevin Reeves ...sure he will make it happen.

benross
03-07-2020, 06:50 PM
I would love to have an expanded edition of this album - especially if it included a stereo copy of The Beginning Of The End Of Love. Yes, I know that song was recorded too late to be included in the Reflections album, but it seems to be of a piece with side one of the album and would be startlingly out of place on the Love Child album if/when an expanded version of that album is released one day. Similarly, I would like Am I Asking Too Much and Too Much A Little Too Soon on an expanded Reflections album, as they, too, sound like outtakes from side one.

Some other songs recorded during this timeline -- My Guy;Treat Me Right, John Henry; etc. -- I could do without, especially on this release, so the Disney Classics album could be added on Disc Two!

daviddh
03-07-2020, 07:21 PM
always thought Beginning of the end of love , would fit this lp as well.great track

CoolKatz
03-07-2020, 10:05 PM
I would love to have an expanded edition of this album - especially if it included a stereo copy of The Beginning Of The End Of Love. Yes, I know that song was recorded too late to be included in the Reflections album, but it seems to be of a piece with side one of the album and would be startlingly out of place on the Love Child album if/when an expanded version of that album is released one day. Similarly, I would like Am I Asking Too Much and Too Much A Little Too Soon on an expanded Reflections album, as they, too, sound like outtakes from side one.

Some other songs recorded during this timeline -- My Guy;Treat Me Right, John Henry; etc. -- I could do without, especially on this release, so the Disney Classics album could be added on Disc Two!

"Too Much A Little Too Soon" was included on the Expanded More Hits a few years ago

benross
03-09-2020, 06:48 PM
Thanks, CoolKatz! Yes, it's certainly great to have Too Much A Little Too Soon positioned with its chronological sisters and brothers on More Hits Expanded, but as you know, Motown has not always adhered to that determinant when placing songs on albums, in particular reissue albums.

Sometimes, there have been [[and are projected to be) repeats or alternate takes of certain titles from the A' Go-Go sessions in the H-D-H and other lps. For instance, A'Go-Go Expanded includes [[Love Is Like A) Heat Wave and It's The Same Old Song from the H-D-H album and Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart, What The World Needs Now Is Love and several more from later albums.

Other times, as with [[You're Gone But) Always In My Heart appearing on H-D-H Extended CD but not on Where Did Our Love Go Extended, recordings have not always appeared in timeline order on the Extended Editions. Too, the A' Go-Go Extended CD includes, oddly, an alternate from I Hear A Symphony Extended. At these times, if you want to listen to related songs, such as Come See About Me and Always In My Heart, as it was known in its 45-B-Side days, you have to pull out two CDs or two vinyl records, which can be inconvenient, and the audio/balance on the two sources may not be the same, so if you put together mix tapes or mix CDs, making the two songs like they come from the same master can be difficult.

In any event, from the first time I heard Too Much A Little Too Soon and Am I Asking Too Much on The Never-Before Released Masters, I recognized that they seemed to be the "missing link" for the Reflections album. Each of the two songs has some of the same moody, vaguely psychedelic sound of, respectively, Bah-Bah-Bah and I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You), but each, also, seems akin, rhythmically, to Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart and In And Out Of Love. All exhibit fine examples of Diana's deft phrasing, whether she is weaving long clauses or terse lines into the complex tapestry of the songs individually or the album overall.

That's why I would like to hear these two songs mastered along with the others in a Reflections Expanded Edition: so there would be a seamless audio flow and the convenience of having it all on one CD and especially so the full potential of the album's completeness and cohesiveness could be experienced.

ejluther
03-10-2020, 11:15 AM
Thanks, CoolKatz! Yes, it's certainly great to have Too Much A Little Too Soon positioned with its chronological sisters and brothers on More Hits Expanded, but as you know, Motown has not always adhered to that determinant when placing songs on albums, in particular reissue albums.

Sometimes, there have been [[and are projected to be) repeats or alternate takes of certain titles from the A' Go-Go sessions in the H-D-H and other lps. For instance, A'Go-Go Expanded includes [[Love Is Like A) Heat Wave and It's The Same Old Song from the H-D-H album and Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart, What The World Needs Now Is Love and several more from later albums.

Other times, as with [[You're Gone But) Always In My Heart appearing on H-D-H Extended CD but not on Where Did Our Love Go Extended, recordings have not always appeared in timeline order on the Extended Editions. Too, the A' Go-Go Extended CD includes, oddly, an alternate from I Hear A Symphony Extended. At these times, if you want to listen to related songs, such as Come See About Me and Always In My Heart, as it was known in its 45-B-Side days, you have to pull out two CDs or two vinyl records, which can be inconvenient, and the audio/balance on the two sources may not be the same, so if you put together mix tapes or mix CDs, making the two songs like they come from the same master can be difficult.

In any event, from the first time I heard Too Much A Little Too Soon and Am I Asking Too Much on The Never-Before Released Masters, I recognized that they seemed to be the "missing link" for the Reflections album. Each of the two songs has some of the same moody, vaguely psychedelic sound of, respectively, Bah-Bah-Bah and I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You), but each, also, seems akin, rhythmically, to Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart and In And Out Of Love. All exhibit fine examples of Diana's deft phrasing, whether she is weaving long clauses or terse lines into the complex tapestry of the songs individually or the album overall.

That's why I would like to hear these two songs mastered along with the others in a Reflections Expanded Edition: so there would be a seamless audio flow and the convenience of having it all on one CD and especially so the full potential of the album's completeness and cohesiveness could be experienced.
Beautifully put!

ejluther
03-10-2020, 09:04 PM
The inclusion of a brand new spankin’ mono Reflections in this recent box gives me hope Reflections Expanded will see the light of day!
https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/classic-albums-motown-in-mono-vinyl-series/

thanxal
03-11-2020, 10:15 AM
The inclusion of a brand new spankin’ mono Reflections in this recent box gives me hope Reflections Expanded will see the light of day!

I wish they were available separately. I really don't want to plunk down $150 bucks for a boxed set when all I want is Reflections.

vgalindo
03-11-2020, 12:59 PM
I wish they were available separately. I really don't want to plunk down $150 bucks for a boxed set when all I want is Reflections.
I agree. I went to order and you have to get the whole set. I really don’t want to spend $150 for just one album.

DWSheffer
03-11-2020, 01:53 PM

This box set and "Reflections" in particular was discussed in this thread back in September, if you missed it then.
Darin

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?24097-Motown-In-Mono-Exclusive-Five-Album-amp-Slipmat-Bundle-Release-Date-08-November-2019&highlight=motown+mono

ejluther
03-11-2020, 02:30 PM
This box set and "Reflections" in particular was discussed in this thread back in September, if you missed it then.
Darin

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?24097-Motown-In-Mono-Exclusive-Five-Album-amp-Slipmat-Bundle-Release-Date-08-November-2019&highlight=motown+mono
Thanks! What - if any - is the consensus about this “new” mono mix? Is it markedly different than the mono LP mix of Reflections that’s already out there?

sup_fan
03-11-2020, 02:37 PM

fun topic! and something to help bide the time until Reflections EE :) Love discussing how the various songs might have been combined into alt versions of the lps. or what tracks left in the vault frankly were more deserving to be on an lp than some of the released material

here are my 2 cents

You're Gone but always in my heart - yes this was recorded in winter 64 and the song could have been included on the WDOLG lp. thankfully it wasn't cuz IMO it's a dud of a song lol. I'm thinking if it had been left in the vaults like I Idolize You or Just Call Me, it would have been included on WDOLG EE. But as they have to try and shoehorn everything they can in, i think they cut You're Gone from WDOLG and figured they'd hold until HDH EE because 1) it appeared on that lp and 2) HDH did some additional recording with the strings in 66. so the original and the alt version could both appear on the EE together

completely agree about Am I Asking. it's definitely a sibling of the Reflections sounds and so I'm assuming it'll most certainly be included there.

Beginning of the End JUST missed the Reflections lp lol. the recording sessions are listed as the day AFTER the lp was released

Seems like the entire recording period for A Go Go and HDH is blurred. Frankly the HDH album is just an extension of the material recorded for A go Go. late 66 is an interesting period in their recording work. in late Sept they did Love Is Here and I Guess I'll Always Love You. then in Oct and Nov they did a little work on My Guy [[with Smokey) and Love Makes Me Do Foolish. They also did Old Love but their vocals erased. that's it, at least according to the data we have so far. All of their remaining recording work was focused on R&H and Broadway/Hollywood. So from the time A Go Go was released, they really didn't record hardly any new tunes.

their version of Love Makes Me Do is quite nice. Sure it's not Martha' original but frankly i prefer it to their cover of Heatwave or It's the same old song. I think LMMDFT would have been a better song to include on HDH, although apparently the track wasn't completed in time

daviddh
03-11-2020, 08:29 PM
Love reading all this track n recording info..
I actually like side one but side two seems unfinished.....or rushed.....seems like a few demo were used.

thanxal
03-15-2020, 03:42 PM
I agree. I went to order and you have to get the whole set. I really don’t want to spend $150 for just one album.
Look what I found:
https://thesoundofvinyl.us/diana-ross-and-the-supremes-reflections-mono-remaster.html
$34.98 [[A little steep but better than $150).

vgalindo
03-15-2020, 05:10 PM
Look what I found:
https://thesoundofvinyl.us/diana-ross-and-the-supremes-reflections-mono-remaster.html
$34.98 [[A little steep but better than $150).
Thank you so much for finding this and sharing. Do you know how much difference is the mono to the stereo version?

thanxal
03-15-2020, 06:18 PM
Thank you so much for finding this and sharing. Do you know how much difference is the mono to the stereo version?

I don't know the difference [[yet). I only have the Mono version of Join and it does have some noticeable differences. I'm pretty sure they are due to narrowing the dynamic range in the fold-down process, since my copy is TamlaMotown from the UK. From what I've read Reflections [[Mono)is a new mix.

This is from Sotosound on the other thread, who was commenting on the original mono release:

The opening track [[“Reflections”) is a dead giveaway.

In mono the electronic effects in the intro are quieter than the music that follows. In mono, as soon as the electronic noise fades the listener is clobbered by the rhythm section, which is dominated by the electric piano and tambourine. It knocks you back on your heels.

In stereo, the music is almost an anti-climax. The electric piano is way down in the mix and the tambourine is drenched in echo. A real let-down.

Since my proper mono album was from the stock remnants that EMI cleared out when they phased out mono, yours won’t be a fold-down either. Ne t’inquiete pas.

vgalindo
03-15-2020, 06:48 PM
I don't know the difference [[yet). I only have the Mono version of Join and it does have some noticeable differences. I'm pretty sure they are due to narrowing the dynamic range in the fold-down process, since my copy is TamlaMotown from the UK. From what I've read Reflections [[Mono)is a new mix.

This is from Sotosound on the other thread, who was commenting on the original mono release:
Thank you. I am really thinking of ordering it. Since the expanded edition from Universal seems like it’s never being released. We were told not to order from the guy from Germany who was doing the bootlegs. He was selling an expanded edition with mono and stereo. And I passed on it.

thanxal
03-15-2020, 07:14 PM
Thank you. I am really thinking of ordering it. Since the expanded edition from Universal seems like it’s never being released. We were told not to order from the guy from Germany who was doing the bootlegs. He was selling an expanded edition with mono and stereo. And I passed on it.
I agree. I avoid bootlegs wherever possible. I can't sit here and profess my love of Motown artists, especially "the girls" and then buy bootlegs that rob them of the little royalties they get, especially the lesser known or struggling artists still performing. I went ahead and ordered it, even though I'm cutting back on buying stuff until after the end of the world, which appears closer every day.

daviddh
03-15-2020, 07:19 PM
I always liked the sound of Reflections and would have liked the other tracks to have the same psych feel....beep...beep etc...just cool sounding

daviddh
03-15-2020, 07:25 PM
Come on Universal.....we need this...

03-15-2020, 07:31 PM
Look what I found:
$34.98 [[A little steep but better than $150). Only thing is, I can see they're charging you more for the one album at nearly 35.00 vs. getting it for 30.00 if you bought the 5-album set [[30.00 x 5) Still, I totally get what you mean!

JohnnyB
03-15-2020, 07:59 PM

A major difference between the mono and stereo versions of Reflections is Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things; the mono LP is a completely alternate vocal...

vgalindo
03-15-2020, 08:32 PM
A major difference between the mono and stereo versions of Reflections is Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things; the mono LP is a completely alternate vocal...
Thank you. It may be worth buying it on mono.

03-15-2020, 11:51 PM
Thank you. It may be worth buying it on mono.
For whatever my 2 cents are worth, "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart" was the song that made finding the mono album worth it. It has a much more classic Motown mono sound- big, booming, lots of compression. The drums REALLY pop much more in this mix than the stereo version. Also, "Then" actually comes off sounding a bit more exciting than it does on the stereo album. Nothing radically different except a second or two extra on the fade, but it just sounds more vibrant on the mono album.

benross
03-16-2020, 06:09 PM
It looks like many of us are to be quarantined for the next one to six months, unable to go to museums, restaurants, theaters, concert venues, etc., so this would be a perfect time to release this [[and Baby It's Me and others) on CD.

We're all home-bound, so why not make some desired home entertainment available?

daviddh
03-16-2020, 06:52 PM
I totally agree.we are all home.not sure what the hold up is. I know it was partly cd releases... only digital..

thanxal
03-16-2020, 07:01 PM
We're all home-bound, so why not make some desired home entertainment available?

"reflections of the way life used to be". Kinda appropriate, don't you think?

zani57
03-17-2020, 01:35 AM
"reflections of the way life used to be". Kinda appropriate, don't you think?

Yes, but "into" whom do we put our "faith and trust"? Not the Deplorable-in-Chief.

Circa 1824
03-17-2020, 06:45 AM
Yes, but "into" whom do we put our "faith and trust"? Not the Deplorable-in-Chief.

Was that comment necessary? Some people just cannot keep their political views out of places they do not belong.

daviddh
03-17-2020, 07:46 PM
My faith is with Andy and George n team....

thanxal
03-18-2020, 03:00 PM
I just got the mono record and the mixes are noticeably different. On Forever, whoever is singing background is MUCH more audible than on the stereo mix. I noticed this on the 50th Anniversary collection. To my ears, they sound even more pronounced on this LP, but someone else with better ears will have to confirm. "Love" is an alternate and Sotosoundwas spot on about Reflections. This LP has a very nice, crisp sound. I've found some reissues of old LPs by other companies to have inferior sound quality. This was well-done. [[I also discovered that my original 1967 stereo discs are in bad shape. Time to find a cleaner copy).

daviddh
03-19-2020, 05:43 PM
Come on Universal.
It's Diana b day....
We r here waiting for reflections

monicarivers
03-19-2020, 06:00 PM
Was that comment necessary? Some people just cannot keep their political views out of places they do not belong.

This is a free for all. He’s a disgrace and most of us on this here forum agree.

PeaceNHarmony
03-19-2020, 07:14 PM
This is a free for all. He’s a disgrace and most of us on this here forum agree.Of course. Anyone disagreeing should take a moment to look up the meaning of the word as well as the historical and contemporary contexts of the word 'forum'. As if ...

03-21-2020, 06:48 AM
Well, with the recent pandemic I wouldnt expect a release date anytime soon.

daviddh
03-21-2020, 08:16 AM
Agree.....I'm sure everyone is home ..this probably pushed back any chance even further ....

sup_fan
03-22-2020, 12:53 PM
well maybe and maybe not. perhaps i'm too much of an optimist :)

but with people stuck in their homes for an extended period of time, we're finding that more and more media companies are releasing popular content in order to drive engagement. Lifetime Movies [[gag! lol) is doing their Xmas films marathons now. as are other streaming companies.

Some popular YouTube channels are preparing new and special "lockdown livestreams" and new videos.

so it's a stretch but MAYBE we can get some things from universal. at least digital content. I'm guessing here but sounds like maybe Reflections and Ross 78 were pretty close to being ready. perhaps they could proceed digitally at least

crossing fingers :)

daviddh
03-22-2020, 07:18 PM
Sup fan
Agreed.
This would be a good time to release when we've all home...
Would love it

carlo
03-30-2020, 10:59 AM
Thanks for your review, thanxal, in regards to the mono Reflections vinyl reissue. I may need to get this one, along with the new mono vinyl release of Sophisticated Soul. There's a 30% off coupon code that you can use on Sound of Vinyl's webstore at the moment [["30OFF"). However, with the current pandemic, you may need to be understandably patient with receiving your order.

carlo
04-02-2020, 05:59 PM
My stand alone mono vinyl reissues of Reflections and Sophisticated Soul arrived today and both sound fantastic! The quality of the pressings are also top-notch. I was pleasantly surprised to see both albums came in a thicker cardboard glossy sleeve, versus the thinner matte sleeves that tend to accompany most new vinyl releases these days. The quality of the vinyl discs themselves is also amazing. I am accustomed to hearing a lot of static and surface noise on the new vinyl discs that are pressed in North America. However, these must have come out of a plant in Europe or somewhere that prioritizes quality control. Absolutely flawless...except for, get this...my copy of Reflections had a label slapped on side 2 for "The Temptations Sing Smokey" [[eye roll). So much for quality control lol. Thankfully, Universal's customer support team for their vinyl webstore are amazing, and they are couriering me a replacement copy. Great to listen to these albums, while identifying some of the differences between the mono and stereo mixes.

PeaceNHarmony
04-02-2020, 09:42 PM
My stand alone mono vinyl reissues of Reflections and Sophisticated Soul arrived today and both sound fantastic! The quality of the pressings are also top-notch. I was pleasantly surprised to see both albums came in a thicker cardboard glossy sleeve, versus the thinner matte sleeves that tend to accompany most new vinyl releases these days. The quality of the vinyl discs themselves is also amazing. I am accustomed to hearing a lot of static and surface noise on the new vinyl discs that are pressed in North America. However, these must have come out of a plant in Europe or somewhere that prioritizes quality control. Absolutely flawless...except for, get this...my copy of Reflections had a label slapped on side 2 for "The Temptations Sing Smokey" [[eye roll). So much for quality control lol. Thankfully, Universal's customer support team for their vinyl webstore are amazing, and they are couriering me a replacement copy. Great to listen to these albums, while identifying some of the differences between the mono and stereo mixes.Interesting to hear and glad you are happy with these!

carlo
04-03-2020, 04:38 PM
Thank you PeaceNHarmony. Hopefully the expanded CD release of Reflections is not too far off.

daviddh
04-03-2020, 07:02 PM
What are the differences in the mono Reflections.
Glad you enjoy your mono mixs

carlo
04-03-2020, 08:18 PM
Thanks davidh. Here are some of the differences I've noticed. I'm sure there are more differences than what I have noted, so anyone else can feel free to chime in.

Reflections has an alternate vocal on Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things. I noticed Diana does this extra swooning type sound on Bah Bah Bah before the instrumental break [[similar to the sounds she makes before the fadeout), which I haven't noticed before on the stereo mix. What the World Needs Now seems to have louder background vocals, especially near the fadeout, which may or may not also be slightly extended. I'll have to go back and compare more closely between the mono and stereo to conclude for sure. Ode to Billie Joe has the drums mixed in much more upfront, which I like. It makes the song more soulful in my opinion.

daviddh
04-04-2020, 11:44 AM
Carlo.
Thanks for the info.in some cases the mics can really be different.
Looking forward to the expanded edition .....hopefully
I would like to see what Kevin Reeves does with his new mixs....hopefully a new Forever Came Today

vgalindo
04-04-2020, 02:39 PM
Thanks davidh. Here are some of the differences I've noticed. I'm sure there are more differences than what I have noted, so anyone else can feel free to chime in.

Reflections has an alternate vocal on Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things. I noticed Diana does this extra swooning type sound on Bah Bah Bah before the instrumental break [[similar to the sounds she makes before the fadeout), which I haven't noticed before on the stereo mix. What the World Needs Now seems to have louder background vocals, especially near the fadeout, which may or may not also be slightly extended. I'll have to go back and compare more closely between the mono and stereo to conclude for sure. Ode to Billie Joe has the drums mixed in much more upfront, which I like. It makes the song more soulful in my opinion.
Thanks Carlo. I just ordered me a copy. Can’t wait to get it. Thanks for the heads up on 30OFF.

supreme
04-04-2020, 05:26 PM
If an expanded edition is ever released i hope it includes more live recordings - some complete shows.

actually a box set of all the unreleased live stuff would be quite nice.

04-04-2020, 07:16 PM
If an expanded edition is ever released i hope it includes more live recordings - some complete shows.

actually a box set of all the unreleased live stuff would be quite nice.

Live shows. I have been noticing lately, whenever I hear a live Supremes performance, the backing vocals by either Mary and Florence or Mary and Cindy is spot on and always much better than the anonymous vocals heard on some of the studio recordings. [[Dear Heaven, I hope I didn't open a can of worms here...) On one of the live performances of "Falling In And Out Of Love", I was knocked out at just how awesome Mary and Cindy sounded. In fact, they even sounded rather Soulful!

supreme
04-04-2020, 07:28 PM
Live shows. I have been noticing lately, whenever I hear a live Supremes performance, the backing vocals by either Mary and Florence or Mary and Cindy is spot on and always much better than the anonymous vocals heard on some of the studio recordings. [[Dear Heaven, I hope I didn't open a can of worms here...) On one of the live performances of "Falling In And Out Of Love", I was knocked out at just how awesome Mary and Cindy sounded. In fact, they even sounded rather Soulful!

i don't think anyone will disagree with your statement :D

Mary and Flo sound angelic together, i think...

daviddh
04-04-2020, 08:36 PM
Maybe they will include the Talk of the Town alternate show.
Love ....In and Out of Love

sansradio
04-05-2020, 12:05 AM
Maybe they will include the Talk of the Town alternate show.
Love ....In and Out of Love

Or just the original Talk of the Town would be fine by me. It's a real head-scratcher why it wasn't even "remastered for iTunes" alongside the lion's share of their catalog.

04-05-2020, 01:44 AM
i don't think anyone will disagree with your statement :D

Mary and Flo sound angelic together, i think... I'm with you there. To me, sometimes the whole Supremes thing of Mary, Flo and Diana seems almost on the level of being spooky. Just by happenstance, these three ended up together, ended up being the only three after two other "fourth" members left, and they had the perfect blend and the perfect look and perfect sound. Then, these three just happened to be one of the few acts who could actually stand toe-to-toe with The Beatles and the whole British Invasion.

I remember in the book "Girl Groups: The Story Of A Sound" by Alan Betrock, a record producer commented that when The Beatles hit, it scared everyone. Nobody knew how to counter or keep pace. The girl groups actually were the answer for a spell, but still, this producer recalled how many gave up with the exception of Motown. Later in the same book, the comment was made that by '68, Motown was just about the only label able to keep their girl groups in the charts. The Supremes were a huge element of that. Again, who in the world could have engineered all of this?

Jimi LaLumia
04-05-2020, 02:09 PM
so is this getting a release or not?
and the Supremes weren't the biggest girl group or the biggest black group of the 1960's, they were the biggest American group of the 1960's, more #1's on the Billboard POP chart than any other group of that historic decade, and the only group to knock The Beatles out of the #1 spot more than once or twice

daviddh
04-07-2020, 06:49 PM
Jim.they say yes but....what year is the question.
We just passed both ladies B days and no celebrating from universal.
Not sure what the hold up is now but originally it was over physical releases.
I heard they just want downloads only
?????

marv2
04-07-2020, 07:15 PM
so is this getting a release or not?
and the Supremes weren't the biggest girl group or the biggest black group of the 1960's, they were the biggest American group of the 1960's, more #1's on the Billboard POP chart than any other group of that historic decade, and the only group to knock The Beatles out of the #1 spot more than once or twice

Yet they get played down by organizations like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. they have every "Band's" induction up on Youtube, but nothing on the Supremes or Berry Gordy's inductions. That's just an example.

carlo
04-07-2020, 09:31 PM
I gotta say, it's pretty impressive that there are five pages of discussion on a title that has yet to be released. It shows that there is still interest and hopefully it will be hard to ignore for much longer. [[Fingers crossed)

thanxal
04-07-2020, 09:52 PM
I gotta say, it's pretty impressive that there are five pages of discussion on a title that has yet to be released. It shows that there is still interest and hopefully it will be hard to ignore for much longer. [[Fingers crossed)
We love our Motown here on the forum. I'm excited at the prospect to hold Reflections EE in my hand. And BTW, what else could we discuss? Today's music just sucks compared to Motown in its hey-day.

zani57
07-02-2021, 04:00 AM
It's been 15 months since we asked the perennial question: "When will we see the Expanded Edition of 'Reflections' ?"

In the meantime, Harry is promoting Questlove's documentary --

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQy_fVTM5sN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

ejluther
07-02-2021, 11:57 AM
It's been 15 months since we asked the perennial question: "When will we see the Expanded Edition of 'Reflections' ?"

I'm hoping Diana’s new music will spur more of the excellent Supremes expanded editions!

after you
07-02-2021, 02:43 PM
Where begging for new Expanded editions , how many wonderful fans have passed in those 15 months including Mary , Maybe there is personal changes happening at universal there not telling us about hopefully not , it would be most kind for a update from our Andy and George

Bluebrock
07-02-2021, 04:44 PM
Where begging for new Expanded editions , how many wonderful fans have passed in those 15 months including Mary , Maybe there is personal changes happening at universal there not telling us about hopefully not , it would be most kind for a update from our Andy and George

Andy and George will update us when they have news. Until then we just have to be patient and keep our fingers crossed.

TheMotownManiac
07-02-2021, 09:30 PM
Andy and George will update us when they have news. Until then we just have to be patient and keep our fingers crossed.

I’m crossing everything I have two of!

daviddh
07-03-2021, 10:37 AM
was just thinking with the positive feedback on Thanks you ,it would be a good time to release Reflections expanded.
but the hold up is Universal . i imagine her cd is due sept ,maybe we will get something for christmas.2030

jack020
07-03-2021, 11:48 AM
Also know in Japan as:

Ollie9
07-03-2021, 03:55 PM
With all the additional interest that “Thank You” has generated, i would have thought now the perfect time for the expanded edition of “Reflections” to make an appearance. Certainly before the new album drops.

Circa 1824
07-04-2021, 08:55 AM
Also know in Japan as:

Also known as “Stay Back, Girls”

lol

copley
07-04-2021, 10:09 AM
Anyone know what's on this please?

Bluebrock
07-04-2021, 12:44 PM

I have never seen it before. I imagine it will be late 60's Drat's recordings. The cover will probably be more interesting than the actual music.

johnjeb
07-04-2021, 12:57 PM

https://www.discogs.com/Supremes-Up-Up-And-Away/release/15290160

Supremes* – Up, Up And Away
Label: Tamla Motown – SJET-8055
Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
Released: 1968
Genre: Funk / Soul
Style: Soul

Tracklist
A1 In And Out Of Love
A2 Reflections
A3 Up, Up And Away
A4 Ode To Billie Joe
A5 Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)
A6 What The World Needs Now Is Love
B1 Forever Came Today
B2 I Can't Make It Alone
B3 Bah-Bah-Bah
B4 I'm Gonna Make It [[I Will Wait For You)
B5 Then
B6 Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart

marybrewster
07-05-2021, 02:07 PM
Such a variety of releases for the single.....

Laurent
07-05-2021, 04:27 PM
Such a variety of releases for the single.....

The fifth one is not an official release.

ejluther
07-07-2021, 06:21 PM
The fifth one is not an official release.
and the fourth is the LP cover from France…cool pics all the same!

Spreadinglove21
07-07-2021, 08:19 PM

As well they should. Summer of Soul is an excellent documentary/concert film. Well worth seeing. Motown represented by David Ruffin, Stevie Wonder and Gladys Knight and the Pips.

sk 905
07-19-2021, 11:41 AM
I'm with you!!! There were bootlegs floating around a few yeas back on Ebay but the dealer was banned from selling them after while...Disney, Grove, Love Child, Lost & Found [[2discs on Supremes one on Diana), Let The Sunshine In and a few more.

daviddh
07-22-2021, 05:00 PM
if universal doesnt want to release anymore cds, what difference does it make if a third co is releasing them,
why not finish the line up and be done, just give us Ross, than the last few Supremes albums. download or otherwise, still not sure of the hold up, hold out

PeaceNHarmony
07-22-2021, 08:19 PM
if universal doesnt want to release anymore cds, what difference does it make if a third co is releasing them,
why not finish the line up and be done, just give us Ross, than the last few Supremes albums. download or otherwise, still not sure of the hold up, hold outOr a pirate company? Rather than let this music die I'm happy to obtain it by any means necessary.

after you
07-22-2021, 08:46 PM
Is our friend Andy still at Universal we have not heard from him for months we hope all is well