PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes performing Stoned Love [[with Lynda on lead) in Hawaii, 1972

test

midnightman
08-07-2018, 07:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTptiqhvs4

Thornton
08-07-2018, 08:49 PM
Lynda gives a great performance here. I also love her lead on "Exodus" from what I assume was the same show. Definitely demonstrates how woefully underused Lynda was while she was with the group.

I wonder if Mary's mic was turned up to help guide Lynda through the song? I hope the whole concert is made available at some point, even if it's bootleg.

marybrewster
08-07-2018, 09:52 PM
I have to admit, I like this almost as much as the original. Certainly better than anything Jean did with it live.

It's remarkable that this was Lynda's first time taking over lead duties. Can you imagine having to learn a catalog at short notice?

I'd kill to hear the entire concert.

Roberta75
08-07-2018, 11:17 PM

Amazing version. Go Miss Lynda.

Bluebrock
08-08-2018, 02:21 AM
I wish Lynda had stayed in the group longer. This lady had the full package - Great voice and stunningly beautiful. What a lost opportunity.

RanRan79
08-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Yes, Lynda was underused, with a great voice and stunning. She really put a spark in the group after Cindy left. It sucks that we didn't get to see more of the JML combo.

lucky2012
08-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Why is Lynda singing lead? Where was Jean? When in 1972 was this? This is the first time I've heard Lynda lead. She's very good.

Thornton
08-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Why is Lynda singing lead? Where was Jean? When in 1972 was this? This is the first time I've heard Lynda lead. She's very good.

Mary talks about how this concert came to be in "Supreme Faith." Jean was ill and unable to go on tour. Mary, Lynda, and Cindy [[who was pregnant) did several shows in Hawaii, then went to NYC and performed at the Copa.

Somewhere along the line Lynda said she spent six months learning all the background vocals, and had six weeks to learn all the lead vocals. She was without a doubt a pro entertainer.

lucky2012
08-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Mary talks about how this concert came to be in "Supreme Faith." Jean was ill and unable to go on tour. Mary, Lynda, and Cindy [[who was pregnant) did several shows in Hawaii, then went to NYC and performed at the Copa.

Somewhere along the line Lynda said she spent six months learning all the background vocals, and had six weeks to learn all the lead vocals. She was without a doubt a pro entertainer.
Aha! Thank you, Thornton.

sup_fan
08-08-2018, 11:27 AM
This was around the time that Cindy was exiting the group and they were scheduled to do a large tour overseas. I believe Australia was a top destination for the tour, maybe some other asia areas. not sure

but jean became ill and also the tour was cancelled. I believe, according to mary's book, that motown cut the tour due to jean's illness but mary was able to salvage a few performances in Hawaii, which i guess were the final dates of the tour.

jean was still unable to attend those but cindy was willing to stay on and Lynda came on to handle lead duties.

i've heard these two MLC recordings and really like them. I think Lynda might have made a strong lead singer for the group. and vocally live, i think the MLC blend works better than the MJL blend. again just based on these recordings. I'm not a fan AT ALL of the Japan live lp with MJL. Jean has a brightness to her voice as does Lynda. and frankly i thing the blend was terrible. borderline shrill. you have two very good but very unique voices with very distinct tone and sound. with M and C on backgrounds you ahve two very blendable voices which allow a unique lead singer to shine - Diana, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie.

midnightman
08-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Jean was sick so Mary had Cindy [[still pregnant at the time) get in Lynda's position while Lynda had to carry the entire show that night.

milven
08-10-2018, 09:14 AM
Mary talks about how this concert came to be in "Supreme Faith." Jean was ill and unable to go on tour. Mary, Lynda, and Cindy [[who was pregnant) did several shows in Hawaii, then went to NYC and performed at the Copa......

I was at the Copa show. I was expecting to see the new lineup of Jean, Mary and Lynda.
They made no announcement of the change. As and avid fan, I was suprised that my first reaction was not that Jean was not there, but that Cindy was there. My thoughts were WTF? That is Cindy, not the new girl. Then I looked at the lead and saw that Jean was not there and the new girl was doing lead. After the shock wore off, I enjoyed the show tremendously. I was impressed that the new Supreme handled the lead so well, when I imagine all her rehearsals were for the background vocals.

Copa seats are vey close and you can hear converstions of other tables. Evidently this lineup had nothing to worry about this suprise lineup. I heard a couple of people say "Which one is Diana?" :mad:

thanxal
08-10-2018, 09:38 AM
I was at the Copa show. I was expecting to see the new lineup of Jean, Mary and Lynda.
They made no announcement of the change. As and avid fan, I was suprised that my first reaction was not that Jean was not there, but that Cindy was there. My thoughts were WTF? That is Cindy, not the new girl. Then I looked at the lead and saw that Jean was not there and the new girl was doing lead. After the shock wore off, I enjoyed the show tremendously. I was impressed that the new Supreme handled the lead so well, when I imagine all her rehearsals were for the background vocals.

Copa seats are vey close and you can hear converstions of other tables. Evidently this lineup had nothing to worry about this suprise lineup. I heard a couple of people say "Which one is Diana?" :mad:
It is nice to read the personal reflections of people who were at such events. Thanks for sharing.

sup_fan
08-10-2018, 11:17 AM

yes i love hearing fan memories!! anything else you remember about the show? what did they sing? wear?

What other shows did you attend?

Thornton
08-10-2018, 11:22 AM

That's awesome! I've wondered how they handled Jean not being there, but perhaps only avid fans noticed the change? Back in '72, with the right wig, Lynda had a passing resemblance to Diana. To be honest, I would have rather seen MCL rather than JML. Not that I don't love Jean, I do, but the MCL lineup had an awesome blend of sound.

milven
08-12-2018, 12:54 AM
yes i love hearing fan memories!! anything else you remember about the show? what did they sing? wear?

What other shows did you attend?

I'm not much at remembering gowns or song lists, but what stands out today about that performance is how good it was. Lynda was brand new to the group, unexpectadly had to take over lead, and even avid fans like me did not complain. I've seen the Supremes at the Copa a few times. Also saw the New Supremes at one of their first performances in Miama. The same week that I saw them, Diana Ross was at the Eden Roc in Miama and I saw her "Can Diana Make it On Her Own Show". What I remember about that show is that she did all her gown changes right on stage behind a small curtain to the side of the stage. To complete that wonderful week in Miami, I also saw Gladys Knight & the Pips performing there. I had seen them about a week or so before that at the Copa in NYC. When they finished their Copa show, they entered an elevator to take them upstairs. I knew the Copa procedure and positioned myself by the elevator and was able to talk to Bubba for about five minutes as the others went up. I could not believe that he gave me the time, but he was so friendly and nice to me. We talked about the music industry and of course I had to mention what a big fan I was of him and the group. Why do we all say that when we meet a celebrity?

A few weeks later, I saw GK&P again in Miami, I was sitting up front and the end of a song in which Bubba was giving his all in smiles, enthusiasumn and dance steps, I kinda loudly called out "Hey Bubba !". I guess I was a little agressive back then. But surprisingly he may have remembered me from the Copa and said jokingly in a brief second, "This guy is stalking me" and then they went into their next song. A year or so later, I saw GK&P in Long Island at Westbury Music Fair and there were a lot of people in the audience calling out Bubba. I know I am not responsible for that, but I like to give myself credit. Bubba/s personality shines on stage and the audience loves him. That is the the real reason that they were calling his name.

There were so many groups and concerts to see back then and they weren't in huge arenas. They were more intimate and friendly. Loved them all. Fond memories

blackguy69
08-12-2018, 10:32 AM

Somewhere along the line Lynda said she spent six months learning all the background vocals, and had six weeks to learn all the lead vocals. She was without a doubt a pro entertainer.acutally she learned the show in 2 weeks not 6 months

midnightman
08-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Yeah I thought that "six months" thing was off. Maybe Thornton misspoke?

Thornton
08-13-2018, 10:17 AM
acutally she learned the show in 2 weeks not 6 months

Yes, I meant six months just for the background vocals. Learning the leads she only had a few weeks.

blackguy69
08-13-2018, 04:05 PM
And welcome to another round of: When did Lynda join the Supremes? Any proof that Lynda took 6 months other than what she said.

milven
08-13-2018, 04:11 PM
This clip has the Lynda, Mary, Cindy lineup singing Exodus in Hawaii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zF3_6HTnQo

sup_fan
08-13-2018, 05:34 PM
i don't believe she was "training" for six months. Cindy's departure was going to happen too quickly. she didn't decide to leave the group until early 72 and was already showing her pregnancy by spring. so they might have done an overlap period of a month or two but that's it.

with the aborted Australia tour, Mary had planned on it being MJL doing the shows. and that was April 72

blackguy69
08-13-2018, 06:06 PM
i don't believe she was "training" for six months. Cindy's departure was going to happen too quickly. she didn't decide to leave the group until early 72 and was already showing her pregnancy by spring. so they might have done an overlap period of a month or two but that's it.

with the aborted Australia tour, Mary had planned on it being MJL doing the shows. and that was April 72
the way I understood it the Australian tour was supposed to be Cindy’s last tour but Lynda was coming along.

milven
08-14-2018, 07:35 AM
I remember also that during this Copa run, Mary got sick, Jean came back and they performed as Jean,Cindy and Lynda. I would have liked to have seen that

Now, in retrospect, and knowing what we know, I wonder if Jean was really sick or just sick of the drama that the Surpremes and Motown were going through. Supposedly she was suffering from high blood pressure.

RanRan79
08-14-2018, 11:51 AM
I remember also that during this Copa run, Mary got sick, Jean came back and they performed as Jean,Cindy and Lynda. I would have liked to have seen that

Now, in retrospect, and knowing what we know, I wonder if Jean was really sick or just sick of the drama that the Surpremes and Motown were going through. Supposedly she was suffering from high blood pressure.

I would love to hear audio from JCL just for historical significance, but I suspect Mary's alto was probably sorely missed that night.

As for Jean's illness, I would rather not speculate on it. In that occupation it's extremely important that one maintain their health, but I imagine it's impossible. All that traveling, coming into contact with all kinds of people carrying all kinds of diseases and germs, always on the go with no real rest or recuperation from one illness to another. The Supremes were worked halfway to death most of the time. I'm surprised these illnesses didn't disrupt the various groupings more often.

sup_fan
08-14-2018, 12:37 PM
^one interesting comment that's come up a few times from both C and M is that Jean had a very different attitude than Diana when it came to doing the show. Cindy's relayed a story that one night Jean had a bad headache and they could barely get her to do the show. whereas you could have amputated all of Diana's limbs and she would have still found a way to crawl out on stage and sing!

also Mary mentioned that when things started to slip and they played shows to half-packed halls, Jean struggled. mary's attitude was regardless of if there are 10 or 10,000, you have to be ON.

mary herself has made some speculations about Jean's struggled during the spring of 72