PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross & Supremes on Billboard's Hot 100 All Time Artists and Songs

test

florence
08-05-2018, 07:09 AM
To celebrate the 60th Anniversary of The Billboard Hot 100, the magazine has issued lists of both the top Artists and Songs - the song listing goes down to #600!

This is the link to the top 100 artists of all time:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/hot-100-turns-60/8468147/hot-100-top-artists-all-time-list

The Supremes come in at #16 and Diana Ross solo at #28.

In the songs listing Diana's Endless Love with Lionel Richie is #18 while Upside Down makes #80.

Several other Motown artists feature.

milven
08-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Was surprised that Janet outranked Michael on this list, but at least they provided an explanation.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/hot-100-turns-60/8468143/janet-jackson-outranks-michael-top-100-artists-hot-100

If they included some of Diana's solo recordings where the song was credited to the Supremes [[Someday, Love Child, etc) she would have ranked higher.

Elvis would have ranked higher if the chart were more than sixty years old since Elvis had major hits before 1958, which if included would have made his ranking higher.

Just read that Poor Little Fool was the first number one record on Hot 100.

I just looked at the Top Songs of All Time and was a little disapointed. My All Time Favorite was pushed down to number 23 to make room for some newer songs of the last decade. These newer songs stayed on the charts for different reasons than the older songs that dominated the charts years ago thanks to people shelling out money for single records and heavy airplay on radio stations.

It doesn't take much to make number one on the chart in today's music industry. Oh well. Progress and my old age make me sad to see some of the greater songs that actually sold millions of copies pushed down by some of these newer songs that achieve greatness by streaming and little else

As a kid, I used to memorize the Cash Box Charts every week and also wrote down the local radio station's Top 40 songs as they played them each Monday. That is how much I loved the charts.

But years later, I got involved with the charts and saw upclose how they are compiled and manipulated. Since then, I have not had much faith in chart rankings. I believe others here also got involved with the charts and may feel the same way.

Anhow, Billboard's Hot 100 charts are like sausages. It’s better not to see them being made.

Jimi LaLumia
08-06-2018, 08:24 PM
I could tell some stories especially from the SoundScan 49 cents singles era..lol

marv2
08-06-2018, 10:05 PM
I could tell some stories especially from the SoundScan 49 cents singles era..lol

Jimi, you use to work for The Wiz or Musicland?

milven
08-07-2018, 08:08 AM

Indeeed. And I guess you would have some great stories about how all those number ones were achieved by Michael, Whitney, and Mariah.

And MC Hammer's Bust It Company, and so many others.

thanxal
08-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Fake nooos. The Supremes are #1 and everybody knows it.

lucky2012
08-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Very funny.

marv2
08-07-2018, 10:57 AM

They had the potential to be at the top of the list if Motown had continue to support them.

Jimi LaLumia
08-07-2018, 11:46 AM
Marv I was management at Sam Goody's from 1974 [[golden age of vinyl record sales) into the early 80's, with a short stop at competitor Record World..then sales manager at Intercontinental which was a U.S. cousin of the British NEMS company..the brits Terry and the other guy teamed with Stan at CountryWide , the 'cut outs' King ..then I opened Jimi LaLumia's Record Connection in Ronkokoma in 1987until closing in 2005 when I opted to provide home care to my mom till she passed rather than put her somewhere..thanks to friends and connections, Record Connection opened as a 'weighted' Billboard Soundscan reporting store and oh boy, the stories I could tell of Soundscan games.. but then I'd have to go into hiding..wait till I write that book that everyone wants me to write

marv2
08-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Marv I was management at Sam Goody's from 1974 [[golden age of vinyl record sales) into the early 80's, with a short stop at competitor Record World..then sales manager at Intercontinental which was a U.S. cousin of the British NEMS company..the brits Terry and the other guy teamed with Stan at CountryWide , the 'cut outs' King ..then I opened Jimi LaLumia's Record Connection in Ronkokoma in 1987until closing in 2005 when I opted to provide home care to my mom till she passed rather than put her somewhere..thanks to friends and connections, Record Connection opened as a 'weighted' Billboard Soundscan reporting store and oh boy, the stories I could tell of Soundscan games.. but then I'd have to go into hiding..wait till I write that book that everyone wants me to weite

Jimi, I use to catch my train out of Ronkokoma. Worst parking on the Island!

Jimi LaLumia
08-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Jimi, I use to catch my train out of Ronkokoma. Worst parking on the Island!

LOL!! still is..

marv2
08-07-2018, 03:46 PM
LOL!! still is..

Yeah, but they would come in handy whenever I missed my train in Islip and those ran so close to Bay Shore's schedule, I'd just go up a few exits and get on in Ronkokoman. Those business you mention are great memories from the past for me. I remember Sam Goody's at Mall.......everywhere LOL! Record World, Peaches, Coconuts, The Wiz, Colony Records, and all those used stores I went in different States. How did I miss LaLumia's Record Connection ? I know I pretty much stopped buying new vinyl around 1990 and left the used records shops in favor of Ebay around the mid to late 90s. Still I would went to your store being it was so close had I known.