PDA

View Full Version : Question about new mixes on Supremes expanded editions

test

Tidy Island
07-30-2018, 10:37 PM
As I'm sure you know, almost all of them contain alternate mixes in addition to unreleased songs/alternate takes. Some of the alternate mixes are "vintage" [[prepared for release in the '60s, but unused for whatever reason), but many of them [[most of them?) are newly prepared for these reissues. If possible, I would like to learn more about how these mixes are prepared.

I assume most of them are mixed in a conventional way, sticking to the elements that are there and adjusting volume of individual tracks [[albeit I'm assuming with a software editor rather than a tape machine). Sometimes though, I imagine there is more hands-on editing of the tracks using audio software to [[for example) have an instrumental break repeat, or to seamlessly connect various takes of a song, or fly in vocals from a different version of the song to fit the backing track. It is not always clear to me from the liner notes which is which.

I'm assuming, for example, that "the SupreMix" of "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" was created using an audio editor to do more than just adjust and pan the individual tracks, and it seems like "Shake Me, Wake Me [[When It's Over)" [[Four Tops duet) must have required some computer-assisted tweaking to get the flown-in vocals to match. Could someone provide a list of these more involved alternate mixes?

In particular I'm interested in the tracks labeled "extended mix," "extended hit mix," "extended alternate version," and "extended alternate" on the Supremes Sing HDH Expanded Edition. Do all these labels mean the same thing? Is there a consistent label to identify the ones that are more like modern computer creations vs the ones that mimic the mixing that would have been possible in the 60s? I realize it's kind of a subtle and potentially confusing distinction, and it may be because I don't know the correct terms for each type of mix, but they are very different in my mind and I would like to create playlists for each in my iTunes.

I realize this is a super nerdy request, but hopefully there is someone on here who can "remove this doubt." [[Sorry.)

George Solomon
07-31-2018, 12:50 PM
Some of our mixes are exactly as they were recorded in the 60's but they are newly mixed using 2018 technology. Some songs, we have extended for creative purposes because now that you have a mono mix/stereo mix and even a remix [[ex. The #1's) we thought it would be a chance to give fans something different, ex: Love Is Like An Itching, Going Down For The Third Time. Most of our other mixes are "straight through mixes just like you would have heard in the studio in the 60's.
We are often asked why we do remixes instead of the unreleased 60's mixes. We listen to them and can usually do so much more with them. Extended fades, bringing up back up vocals etc. "Extended mix" is just a longer fade, "Extended hit mix" we used for The Happening since it was the hit version, not the film version. "Extended alternate version" "Extended alternate" is usually an alternate track or vocal. I can't say we've always been consistent with our labeling of the new mixes.

PeaceNHarmony
07-31-2018, 12:56 PM
Some of our mixes are exactly as they were recorded in the 60's but they are newly mixed using 2018 technology. Some songs, we have extended for creative purposes because now that you have a mono mix/stereo mix and even a remix [[ex. The #1's) we thought it would be a chance to give fans something different, ex: Love Is Like An Itching, Going Down For The Third Time. Most of our other mixes are "straight through mixes just like you would have heard in the studio in the 60's.
We are often asked why we do remixes instead of the unreleased 60's mixes. We listen to them and can usually do so much more with them. Extended fades, bringing up back up vocals etc. "Extended mix" is just a longer fade, "Extended hit mix" we used for The Happening since it was the hit version, not the film version. "Extended alternate version" "Extended alternate" is usually an alternate track or vocal. I can't say we've always been consistent with our labeling of the new mixes.
Ha! As long as the consistency is in the excellency of releases you are providing us, I think most of us are ecstatic! Thanks again for the work on these beloved albums.

lucky2012
07-31-2018, 01:02 PM
Ha! As long as the consistency is in the excellency of releases you are providing us, I think most of us are ecstatic! Thanks again for the work on these beloved albums.
I second that emotion!