PDA

View Full Version : Stimulators-Sound-O-Riffic-Chicago

test

robb_k
02-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Bob A. or any other Chicago Soul expert needed.
Does anyone know anything about this end of '60s [[possibly into early '70s label? I know of only one record on it: # 2 -"Warm Summer Nights" by The Stimulators. Only name on the record is A.J. Williams [[probably used the middle J. to distinguish himself from Andre Williams).

Anyone know who owned/operated the label? Were there other releases, other artists? Other arrangers/producers? Sister labels? members of The Stimulators?

Bob A,-need help.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6184/stimulators.png

boba
02-13-2011, 10:33 PM
This release, despite having a doowop throwback sound, is from 1970. A Williams is Art Williams, who produced the Stimulators record [[he also produced Len and the PAs on Rush). Other releases on the label are a Piano C Red record and another funky blues record by Sweet Bobby and Honey Boy. In the Stimulators interview I did they say who owned the Sound-o-riffic label [[I think it was a preacher in a south side church, I have to listen again to tell).

I know the starnotes record but don't know anything about the group, sorry.

robb_k
02-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks Bob. I figured it was about 1969 or 1970. So, that's why I didn't know it. i left Chicago in Sept. 1966 to attend University, and only returned for part of each summer and Christmas vacation from 1967-1971. So, I missed that fine record. I listened to The Startones' again. It's clear the lead was a former lead in a Gospel group. I recognise his voice. I wish i could place it. I used to know who owned and founded Chicago's Caper Records. I think I remember seeing Al Hogan's name on some other Chicago records.