PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding The Supremes Sing Ballads And Blues album

test

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
07-29-2018, 10:26 PM
A question I'm sure one of the many knowledgable people here can answer; there was a cd of this shelved album that was up on ebay [[and I now know the story behind some of these great-looking unoffical packages) and I was noticing the liner notes on the rear jacket of the album cover. My question: was this the actual album art [[front and back covers)? I thought it was a pretty good mock-up, but if so, the liners notes sure do seem authentic.

I have doubts that is the actual artwork as the typeface doesn't look like anything that was being used at Motown at the time. Also, I don't think Motown would have used a black and white photo that was then colorized for the cover photo. But then again...1448914490

bradsupremes
07-29-2018, 11:03 PM
No, this is not the original album art covers [[front & back). It is purely a fan's creation. I don't believe a mock cover was created although it is possible.

RanRan79
07-30-2018, 12:17 AM
I'm not even sure an actual tracklisting exists for this album, let alone artwork. I sure wish it had been the second album. The possible tracks are among my favorites.

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
07-30-2018, 12:38 AM
No, this is not the original album art covers [[front & back). It is purely a fan's creation. I don't believe a mock cover was created although it is possible.

Ok, thanks. I thought it might be. It just doesn't compare, graphics/typeface-wise to what Bernard Yeszin was doing at the time.

longtimefan
07-30-2018, 01:01 AM

I like this artwork [[above) and agree that it is not totally retro. Mr. Yeszin's work was outstanding, but many other Motown albums from the period were not to his standard. Since Motown never gave us this album, it is a pleasure to finally have it in some form. Thanks!

p.s. Many other mock versions have appeared over the years....