PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dan Ingram/ 70's Supremes Had Only One Hit? Our famous Battles

test

Jimi LaLumia
07-29-2018, 11:16 AM
legendary NY Top 40 DJ Dan Ingram [[and our battle over the 70's Supemes) remembered here in my latest Good Times "Rhythm Tracking" column..
https://issuu.com/goodtimesmag/docs/good_times_1253_1-24/16

lucky2012
07-29-2018, 11:29 AM
Nice! "For kids like me... in the 1960's, pop music wasn't wallpaper - it was life itself." I was a kid in the 1960's, too. So great that you were able to get your thoughts heard back then!

marv2
07-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Jimi, I remember Dan Ingram. I did not know he was 83. I am having a hard time enlarging the article. What happened to him?

woodward
07-29-2018, 11:37 AM
Jimi, I remember Dan Ingram. I did not know he was 83. I am having a hard time enlarging the article. What happened to him?

I, also, am unable to enlarge the article. I am very interested in seeing what was on pages 16-17. Can you send this through the MF via a PDF file? I was thrilled to see the Marvelettes picture in the article on page 16. Thanks.

marv2
07-29-2018, 11:38 AM
This is making wonder about Cousin' Brucie and Bobby Jay. Haven't heard of those guys in years now.

mowest
07-29-2018, 12:40 PM
This is making wonder about Cousin' Brucie and Bobby Jay. Haven't heard of those guys in years now.

Cousin Brucie can be heard at least twice a week on Sirius XM, Channel 6 [[The Sixties). Same old Cousin Brucie!

marv2
07-29-2018, 01:56 PM
Cousin Brucie can be heard at least twice a week on Sirius XM, Channel 6 [[The Sixties). Same old Cousin Brucie!

Excellent! I met him once after a concert and he was really cool. Thanks Mowest.

Jimi LaLumia
07-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Marv , right above the three dots [[...) is the enlarge prompt [ ]..click that and it should go full screen..I'll find the original' copy' that I wrote and share it here

Jimi LaLumia
07-29-2018, 04:19 PM
Dan was 83 and died at home, choking on food according to his son..Cousin Brucie does a successful evening show on Sirius XM's 60's channel

Jimi LaLumia
07-29-2018, 04:26 PM
"
DAN INGRAM
------------------------
I heard the news today, oh boy..longtime Top
40 DJ Dan Ingram who ruled the afternoons on
AM 77WABC [[which is now a 'talk' station) passed
away..he was in his 80's. The NY charts were to me
what sports stats are to the jocks of the world. On Tuesday
afternoons, Dan would unveil the new chart positions
in no particular order before Cousin Brucie would do the
official Top 20 countdown that night. My transistor radio
was never far from me, I jotted down the new numbers,
and hung onto Ingram's insights in everything; for kids like
me it was so important, in the 1960's, pop music wasn't
wallpaper, it was life itself.

I did my first celebrity interview ever with Cousin Brucie for a
music paper called Rock, but I never met Ingram,however we did
interact; I once called him from a pay phone outside a Carvel
when he made a comment about The Four Tops, and amazingly,
he took my call and chatted with me for a minute or two; back then,
the djs did not take calls or put them on the air, so I was amazed that
this took place.Besides The Beatles, Motown was my thing, so when
Dan played a record called "When You're Young And in Love" by The
Marvelettes and implored people to buy it I was stunned; this sort of thing'
just never happened ,especially after the payola scandals of the 1950's,'
but the record was that good!

My ultimate Ingram moment? Around 1972 or '73 he played "Stoned Love"
by The [[70's) Supremes, with Jean Terrell in the lead spot as Diana Ross had
gone solo at the end of 1969. Dan stated that "Stoned' was the only real hit that
the group had after Ross left, which set me off, as I compiled all those weekly
WABC charts; the group had big hits with "Up The Ladder To The Roof" and
their duet with The Four Tops on "River Deep, Mountain High", and "Nathan Jones"
had also been a WABC hit, so I wrote a letter setting him straight and signed off as
LaLumia;imagine my shock,driving on the LIE and hearing Dan talking about this letter
he got from"someone or some thing called LaLumia!" I almost went into shock and
smiled the rest of the way home;and you rest in peace Dan Ingram; thanks for the memories!

Boogiedown
07-29-2018, 04:33 PM
"
DAN INGRAM
------------------------
I heard the news today, oh boy..longtime Top
40 DJ Dan Ingram who ruled the afternoons on
AM 77WABC [[which is now a 'talk' station) passed
away..he was in his 80's. The NY charts were to me
what sports stats are to the jocks of the world. On Tuesday
afternoons, Dan would unveil the new chart positions
in no particular order before Cousin Brucie would do the
official Top 20 countdown that night. My transistor radio
was never far from me, I jotted down the new numbers,
and hung onto Ingram's insights in everything; for kids like
me it was so important, in the 1960's, pop music wasn't
wallpaper, it was life itself.

I did my first celebrity interview ever with Cousin Brucie for a
music paper called Rock, but I never met Ingram,however we did
interact; I once called him from a pay phone outside a Carvel
when he made a comment about The Four Tops, and amazingly,
he took my call and chatted with me for a minute or two; back then,
the djs did not take calls or put them on the air, so I was amazed that
this took place.Besides The Beatles, Motown was my thing, so when
Dan played a record called "When You're Young And in Love" by The
Marvelettes and implored people to buy it I was stunned; this sort of thing'
just never happened ,especially after the payola scandals of the 1950's,'
but the record was that good!

My ultimate Ingram moment? Around 1972 or '73 he played "Stoned Love"
by The [[70's) Supremes, with Jean Terrell in the lead spot as Diana Ross had
gone solo at the end of 1969. Dan stated that "Stoned' was the only real hit that
the group had after Ross left, which set me off, as I compiled all those weekly
WABC charts; the group had big hits with "Up The Ladder To The Roof" and
their duet with The Four Tops on "River Deep, Mountain High", and "Nathan Jones"
had also been a WABC hit, so I wrote a letter setting him straight and signed off as
LaLumia;imagine my shock,driving on the LIE and hearing Dan talking about this letter
he got from"someone or some thing called LaLumia!" I almost went into shock and
smiled the rest of the way home;and you rest in peace Dan Ingram; thanks for the memories!

Great story Jimi LaLumia😎
Sounds like Dan enjoyed hearing from someone who was really paying attention.

marv2
07-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Marv , right above the three dots [[...) is the enlarge prompt [ ]..click that and it should go full screen..I'll find the original' copy' that I wrote and share it here

Thank you Jimi. I really do remember Dan Ingram now. I don't remember when he stopped being on the radio completely ,but yes, I remember him and the days you could call into radio stations and request songs. They would do it and announce your name or who they were playing it for when it was a dedication.

kenneth
07-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Nice tribute Jimi. I never lived in the NYC area so I'm not familiar with him, but it was interesting to read about him.

And of course I remember dedications...quite a thrill it must have been. Not sure I ever heard a song dedicated to me on a major radio station, but on college radio I used to call in late at night and request songs like the Supremes' "High Energy," and they played it!

What is it about hearing a song on the radio that makes it better, even if you have the album or single and could have played it anytime anyway?

Jimi LaLumia
07-30-2018, 08:53 AM
by the way, when he received my detailed letter about the 70's Supremes chart positions on WABC, he didn't play a record, he just came on after a non Supremes record, refered to my letter in a tirade about 'what kind of person keeps this kind of information" a who really cares kind of thing, referring to me as 'someone or SOME THING called LaLumia!" he was outraged that he was corrected, BUT he chose to go very public with it which is why I laughed out loud, caught off guard while driving on the Expressway with WABC playing..I think it's the ONLY time I ever heard such an outburst of this kind on 77WABC, this was way before the 'shock jock'/Howard Stern era, this sort of thing just wasn't done..and because of the 70's Supremes! that's why I refer to our 'battles' in the thread title..by that point, after Nathan Jones, the very powerful AM WABC avoided all future Supremes releases! [[don't blame me, by the time I sent my letter, "Touch", "Floy Joy" and Automatically.." had all been released and ignored..

lucky2012
07-30-2018, 10:37 AM
by the way, when he received my detailed letter about the 70's Supremes chart positions on WABC, he didn't play a record, he just came on after a non Supremes record, refered to my letter in a tirade about 'what kind of person keeps this kind of information" a who really cares kind of thing, referring to me as 'someone or SOME THING called LaLumia!" he was outraged that he was corrected, BUT he chose to go very public with it which is why I laughed out loud, caught off guard while driving on the Expressway with WABC playing..I think it's the ONLY time I ever heard such an outburst of this kind on 77WABC, this was way before the 'shock jock'/Howard Stern era, this sort of thing just wasn't done..and because of the 70's Supremes! that's why I refer to our 'battles' in the thread title..by that point, after Nathan Jones, the very powerful AM WABC avoided all future Supremes releases! [[don't blame me, by the time I sent my letter, "Touch", "Floy Joy" and Automatically.." had all been released and ignored..
Wow. Good thing you can laugh about it!
Here in L.A. Floy Joy was played by Top 40 stations. I even heard Automatically Sunshine a few times. Maybe Touch once. Did other NY stations play them? I know WABC is/was all-powerful.

marv2
07-30-2018, 11:22 AM
Nice tribute Jimi. I never lived in the NYC area so I'm not familiar with him, but it was interesting to read about him.

And of course I remember dedications...quite a thrill it must have been. Not sure I ever heard a song dedicated to me on a major radio station, but on college radio I used to call in late at night and request songs like the Supremes' "High Energy," and they played it!

What is it about hearing a song on the radio that makes it better, even if you have the album or single and could have played it anytime anyway?

I was a DJ briefly on my college radio station KAOS! It turned out to be the best way to get all of those new "promo" albums and records from the companies. LOL!!!

marv2
07-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Wow. Good thing you can laugh about it!
Here in L.A. Floy Joy was played by Top 40 stations. I even heard Automatically Sunshine a few times. Maybe Touch once. Did other NY stations play them? I know WABC is/was all-powerful.

"Floy Joy" was played often on Soul radio stations in Detroit/Toledo. It also was played at school "sock hops" I remember.

marv2
07-30-2018, 11:27 AM
Now, what about Bobby Jay? He use to emcee many of the Motown artists concerts at Westbury in recent years.

Jimi LaLumia
07-30-2018, 01:35 PM
the only area play I heard for "Floy Joy" at top 40 was a New Jersey AM called WWDJ which didn't stick around very long, and had little sales impact on the metro area..Long Island's Top 40 WBLI FM didn't touch hardly any Motown releases but very heavy on Philly International during "The Love i Lost" period, all that stuff..mayb Motown wasn't servicing them with product?

Boogiedown
07-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Oh --- so Dan wasn't pleased. He took it personal about being corrected. Too bad. He shoulda said "Good one LaLumia! I've sure got smart listeners."

marv2
07-30-2018, 04:58 PM
the only area play I heard for "Floy Joy" at top 40 was a New Jersey AM called WWDJ which didn't stick around very long, and had little sales impact on the metro area..Long Island's Top 40 WBLI FM didn't touch hardly any Motown releases but very heavy on Philly International during "The Love i Lost" period, all that stuff..mayb Motown wasn't servicing them with product?

There was a station out of Norwalk, CT that I could pick up over the Sound. They played Motown.

marv2
07-30-2018, 05:00 PM
That would have been during "The Reign of Abner..." so it is likely they never got the product!

marybrewster
07-31-2018, 12:32 AM
I think Mary recounts a similar story in "Supreme Faith"; I'm paraphrasing, but the deejay mentions that since Diana left, the Supremes haven't had any hits? Or that the Supremes had disbanded? This was around the "Jimmy Webb" era. I think Mary said she called in and the deejay apologized and played "Tossin' and Turnin'"