PDA

View Full Version : Scherrie and Susaye, Formerly of the Supremes

test

marybrewster
07-26-2018, 10:07 AM
I love Scherrie and Susaye.

But does anyone else cringe anytime you see the name of their group? I guess I feel bad for Joyce who gets no mention in billing at all.

Fact is, while the name "Supremes" is household, Joyce had more Number #1 hits with Dawn than S & S did with the Supremes.

I'd like to see "Scherrie and Susaye, Formerly of the Supremes, Featuring Joyce of Dawn".

But that's a mouthful!

LoveSupreme
07-26-2018, 10:23 AM
The fact that Joyce is even a part of this is just perplexing to me. She was never a Supreme. She was part of Dawn - - - and even then when they had their first big hits with "Candida" and "Knock Three Times" she and Thelma were not a part of the group. Tony provided the leads but he initially didn't want to front the band because he wasn't interested so Bell Records got together some session musicians to "portray" Dawn to promote the record.

It was only after Tony changed his mind that they disbanded that version of Dawn and came up with the concept of Tony and two female back up singers.

https://streamd.hitparade.ch/cdimages/dawn-knock_three_times_s.jpg

http://images.45cat.com/dawn-look-at-bell-5.jpg

reese
07-26-2018, 10:30 AM
I wonder if Joyce performs any Dawn material during their performances.

luke
07-26-2018, 10:58 AM
There is a YouTube clip of Joyce performing Dawn hits backed by Scherrie and Lynda. Sometimes Group name is listed as featuring Joyce Vincent.

luke
07-26-2018, 11:00 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0P8k5QoSs

khansperac
07-26-2018, 11:15 AM
The new lineup is so weird. It would be better to have an unknown fill the 3rd spot. Regarding that Clip of them singing those well known Tony Orlando and Dawn songs is cringe worthy. Ain’t nobody trying to hear her sing Tony Orlando’s lead vocal.

bradsupremes
07-26-2018, 11:51 AM
What is up with the clip? Who did the lights for that show? The lights kept going off and on.

I always found Dawn's songs so corny. They really don't have a shelf life. I crack it up to something in the water with those cheesy 70's bubblegum pop songs from groups like the Partridge Family, the Brady Bunch and the Del Franco Family. You have these brilliant songs like "What's Going On," "Band On The Run," "Hello It's Me" and then you have crap.

luke
07-26-2018, 12:13 PM
I agree. I really can’t bear listening to the songs though I thought Joyce did a nice job singing. Her voice seems somewhat bland to me but not here.

milven
07-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Tony Orlando still tours as a solo. But in the middle of his solo tour, he is reunited with Tony Orlando & Dawn for one performance [[I think - at least it is the only one that I am aware of). The performance is at Westbury Music Fair [[or whatever it is currently called) on December 7th in Long Island. Dawn is Joyce and Telma

I guess she will be taking a day off from Sherrie and Susaye of the Supremes

https://westbury.tickets-center.com/search/?performerId=2041&performerName=Tony+Orlando&kwds=Tony+Orlando&nid=1

LoveSupreme
07-26-2018, 01:59 PM
What is up with the clip? Who did the lights for that show? The lights kept going off and on.

I always found Dawn's songs so corny. They really don't have a shelf life. I crack it up to something in the water with those cheesy 70's bubblegum pop songs from groups like the Partridge Family, the Brady Bunch and the Del Franco Family. You have these brilliant songs like "What's Going On," "Band On The Run," "Hello It's Me" and then you have crap.

You are not far off in you assessment in regards to the sound of Dawn vs. Partridge's, etc. Many of the same session musicians, background vocalists, arrangers and songwriters worked with both groups. They were also label mates. Both groups recorded for Bell Records.

L. Russell Brown and Irwin Levine who co-wrote "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" and "Knock Three Times" were also responsible for "I Woke Up In Love This Morning" by The Partridge Family.

The L.A. session band, The Wrecking Crew also played on many of these records and The Ron Hicklin Singers which mainly consisted of Ron, John and Tom Bahler, Jackie Ward and Sally Stevens provided backing vocals on many Dawn, Partridge Family and Brady Brunch recordings. Their vocals can also be heard on the theme songs to "That Girl", "Love American Style" [[beginning in Season 2) and "Happy Days".

Thornton
07-26-2018, 04:17 PM
I love seeing Scherrie, Susaye, and Joyce together, but I wish they had a less cumbersome name. Something like The Supremes' Scherrie and Susaye, or Scherrie Payne's Supremes Review. Anyway, I don't think the Tony Orlando and Dawn medley works, but I think it's great that they try out different material here and there.

I keep hoping they will come to the Chicago area, but it seems like they're mostly doing private events or European tour dates at this point.

luke
07-26-2018, 05:51 PM
Dawn also appeared together last summer in Massachusetts.

BayouMotownMan
07-26-2018, 07:14 PM
Billing an act has to be done in such a way as not to interfere with legalities. Fact is each 70s Supreme, when negotiating their release from Motown were insightful enough to have it in their severance contracts that they can bill themselves as "formerly of The Supremes."

Joyce Vincent was the perfect choice to bring into the group. Motown had initially agreed to let Scherrie and Susaye re-launch The Supremes with Joyce as the third girl. In 1978, however, it was decided to retire the name Supremes as Motown felt that music had changed and the group had served its purpose. Instead Motown launched High Inergy.

When Joyce joined the group, Lynda was still a member. They made a great trio, and how ironic that it evolved that Lynda retired and Eric and Scherrie coerced Miss Su to put on her Supremes heels again. Now we have what would have been the final version of Supremes had Motown not made that fateful decision in 1978.

The final grouping of Supremes, Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene made what many consider to be the most powerful group of Supremes. When Scherrie joined in 1973, poor reviews quickly turned positive as critics called her the "devil in the red dress." She injected a spark that had long been lacking. Likewise when Susaye joined three years later, while we missed Cindy, Susaye brought the house down every time she sang "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother."

All these years later, the excitement these three ladies create on stage is untarnished. I don't care how they bill themselves, we still have two official Supremes and a planned Supreme entertaining us. Their bookings are increasing and instead of worrying about how they are billed [[again,they are billed how they are legally allowed to be billed) let's just enjoy the final version of the legendary Supremes.

Diana Ross endorses them. So should we all.

vgalindo
07-26-2018, 08:04 PM
Billing an act has to be done in such a way as not to interfere with legalities. Fact is each 70s Supreme, when negotiating their release from Motown were insightful enough to have it in their severance contracts that they can bill themselves as "formerly of The Supremes."

Joyce Vincent was the perfect choice to bring into the group. Motown had initially agreed to let Scherrie and Susaye re-launch The Supremes with Joyce as the third girl. In 1978, however, it was decided to retire the name Supremes as Motown felt that music had changed and the group had served its purpose. Instead Motown launched High Inergy.

When Joyce joined the group, Lynda was still a member. They made a great trio, and how ironic that it evolved that Lynda retired and Eric and Scherrie coerced Miss Su to put on her Supremes heels again. Now we have what would have been the final version of Supremes had Motown not made that fateful decision in 1978.

The final grouping of Supremes, Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene made what many consider to be the most powerful group of Supremes. When Scherrie joined in 1973, poor reviews quickly turned positive as critics called her the "devil in the red dress." She injected a spark that had long been lacking. Likewise when Susaye joined three years later, while we missed Cindy, Susaye brought the house down every time she sang "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother."

All these years later, the excitement these three ladies create on stage is untarnished. I don't care how they bill themselves, we still have two official Supremes and a planned Supreme entertaining us. Their bookings are increasing and instead of worrying about how they are billed [[again,they are billed how they are legally allowed to be billed) let's just enjoy the final version of the legendary Supremes.

Diana Ross endorses them. So should we all.
Thank you. I agree 💯