PDA

View Full Version : Ike & Tina's 'The World Of ...' Gets A CD Release

test

PeaceNHarmony
07-25-2018, 01:30 PM
https://www.bgo-records.com/product/the-world-of-ike-tina/

This rather nutty, presumed to be make-believe-live cd is finally getting a cd release. Inessential but fun none-the-less!

smallworld
07-25-2018, 02:24 PM
I wish they'd re-release the mono version of the River Deep - Mountain High album. I thought it was odd that it wasn't included in the Phil Spector Sony Legacy reissue program. Perhaps his deal with A&M to release the LP domestically in 1969 gave the label [[part-)ownership of the album.

brother_love
07-25-2018, 02:53 PM
This was first issued on CD years back by EMI Holland as "Ike & Tina Turner Live."

reese
07-25-2018, 03:22 PM
Probably my least favorite of their live albums, but it will still be nice to have a copy without skips and surface noise.

brother_love
07-25-2018, 03:35 PM
It would have been nice if they had added the several Philles singles as bonus tracks that were not included on the album when it was reissued on CD.

I'll Keep You Happy - Philles 131 [[1966)
Two To Tango/A Man Is A Man Is A Man - Philles 134 [[1966)
The Cash Box Blues or [[Oops, We Printed The Wrong Story Again) B-side to Philles 135 [[1967)
Everything Under The Sun - Unreleased produced by Bob Crewe - Acetate 2/66

midnightman
07-25-2018, 09:11 PM
They should at least re-release one of I&TT's final albums, Airwaves.

This is the one UA put out after Tina left and focused on her solo career and the beginning of Ike's downward spiral. That one, I'm curious, because she and Ike re-recorded a song from the early '60s on the album called Dear John [[the one where she scolds Ike out for being "ugly" and accusing him of beating her and hating how she had to "beg him to feed her").

She added some lyrics, it seems:

"When I first met you, I knew you was ugly
But at the time I also thought you was kinda nice
But I found out that the only thing you know about the word 'nice'
Is that it starts with an 'N' and you're so dumb I doubt that you
know what it ends with.
And I STILL think you're ugly. In fact, you're so ugly that you should take a dip
in the pit to get a drink of water!"

Or something like that lol

reese
07-25-2018, 11:10 PM
They should at least re-release one of I&TT's final albums, Airwaves.

This is the one UA put out after Tina left and focused on her solo career and the beginning of Ike's downward spiral. That one, I'm curious, because she and Ike re-recorded a song from the early '60s on the album called Dear John [[the one where she scolds Ike out for being "ugly" and accusing him of beating her and hating how she had to "beg him to feed her").

She added some lyrics, it seems:

"When I first met you, I knew you was ugly
But at the time I also thought you was kinda nice
But I found out that the only thing you know about the word 'nice'
Is that it starts with an 'N' and you're so dumb I doubt that you
know what it ends with.
And I STILL think you're ugly. In fact, you're so ugly that you should take a dip
in the pit to get a drink of water!"

Or something like that lol

AIRWAVES came out a while back on a 2fer with DELILAH'S POWER.

Re DEAR JOHN, I always wondered how Tina felt singing songs such as that, ONLY WOMEN BLEED, and others that referred to the bad side of their relationship.

midnightman
07-26-2018, 01:49 AM
Tina had said she felt HORRIBLE singing the songs. It also warped her mind on R&B music as well [[which oddly enough after she left him and found success, the first songs that brought her back was R&B stuff like What's Love Got to Do With It, the covers of Let's Stay Together, I Can't Stand the Rain and Help, and Private Dancer [[only non-R&B song that she made a hit when she made her comeback was Better Be Good to Me).

brother_love
07-26-2018, 07:33 PM
This part cracks me up. “You are about the meanest evilest lowdown rottenest man I’ve ever seen in my whole life. You beat so much, that I’m about as sharp and flat as a razor-blade. Just look at me, I look like an alligator. I’ve had every kind of knot on me but a do dot and I’ve had so many black eyes till my friends call me suck face. Talk about tight, ooowee you so tight you even squeak when you walk.” :cool:

midnightman
07-26-2018, 11:02 PM
"Don't worry, honey, the buzzards wouldn't touch you! Yours NEVER no mo', Tina Turner."

Mark Desjardines
07-28-2018, 03:06 PM
When I was in Paris this past spring, there was a vinyl record shop next door to the budget hotel where I stayed for six nights. In the window, four vintage Tamla Motown U.S. label records were on display. I had a chance to check over their offerings and was surprised to see a sealed album, "Ike & Tina Turner Live in Paris." Recorded at the Olympia Theatre in 1971, it was only released in France, Germany & Italy, according to the knowledgeable shop owner, Evidently two previous North American "live" albums prevented this recording from being released here. I waited to upgrade my turntable and stylus , and it is indeed their best live recording, in my estimation!14484

reese
07-28-2018, 04:03 PM
When I was in Paris this past spring, there was a vinyl record shop next door to the budget hotel where I stayed for six nights. In the window, four vintage Tamla Motown U.S. label records were on display. I had a chance to check over their offerings and was surprised to see a sealed album, "Ike & Tina Turner Live in Paris." Recorded at the Olympia Theatre in 1971, it was only released in France, Germany & Italy, according to the knowledgeable shop owner, Evidently two previous North American "live" albums prevented this recording from being released here. I waited to upgrade my turntable and stylus , and it is indeed their best live recording, in my estimation!14484

I found this one in a used record shop in the US. It is good, but I think their best live album is WHAT YOU HEAR IS WHAT YOU GET on United Artists, followed by those on Kent and Warner Bros.

Mark Desjardines
07-28-2018, 06:34 PM
Resse, by good luck I have the albums you mention above. I've haven't listened to them for awhile, so you've motivated me to do re-roll these slabs on vinyl onto my wheels of steel.

PeaceNHarmony
07-28-2018, 07:35 PM

'Paris' was eclipsed here in the states by 'Watcha ...' , the Carnegie Hall live set [[which yours truly was present at the recording of!) The Paris cut of 'With A Little Help' got FM airplay in the NY market.