PDA

View Full Version : Dorothy Moore question

test

daviddesper
02-13-2011, 02:12 AM
You guys haven't failed me yet and I am sure you won't this time. I have been noticing a new collection by Dorothy entitled "Best of Dorothy Moore." It was released on the Music Collection label in December and has a blue and gray cover. I have seen it listed for sale on a number of websites, but none of them list the tracks.

So who has a track listing for this CD?

MIKEW-UK
02-13-2011, 05:10 AM
I have the 1993 release Misty Blue, The Best of Dorothy Moore, released by Music Club, subsidiary of Music Collection International of Watford England.

Track Listing is:

Misty Blue
Funny How Time Slips Away
For old Time's sake
With Pen in Hand
Dark End of the Street
Ain't That a Mother's Luck
Feel the Love
Ain't nothing changed
I betcha don't know that
What you won't do for Love
Till the end of time
Lover Girl
If I could just find my way back to you
How’d we ever get this way?
Rain
Medley Since I don’t have you / Since I fell for you
Talk to Me / Every Beat of My Heart
It’s All in the game
I’ll Always Love You
Do Ya

The Amazon listing gives no details on the 2010 release other than it is issued by Music Collection, the same company, so I assume it is the same listing.

Much better value is Dorothy Moore the Definitive Anthology. Track listing is:
1. Only Time You Ever Say You Love Me
2. Misty Blue*
3. Funny How Time Slips Away*
4. I Don't Want to Be With Nobody But You
5. For old Time's sake*
6. I Believe you
7. With Pen in Hand*
8. Love me
9. Special Occasion
10. Girl Overboard
11. Dark End of the Street*
12. Ain't That a Mother's Luck*
13. Let the Music Play
14. Enough Woman Left [[To Be Your Lady)
15. Talk to me
16. All Night blue
17. Too Blind to see
18. Feel the Love*
19. He Thinks I still care
Disc: 2
1. If you'll give me your Heart
2. Ain't nothing changed*
3. More than just another Hurt
4. Your Body's here with me
5. Be strong enough to hold on
6. Seein' You Again
7. Blues in the Night
8. I betcha don't know that*
9. You Can't blame Love
10. What you won't do for Love*
11. You should have been good to me
12. Why is leavin' you so hard to do
13. Daydreamin'
14. Till the end of time*
15. It's rainin' on my side of the bed
16. Knee deep in a river
17. It ain't over 'til your Heart says Goodbye
18. I'll spend my life Loving you

Tracks with asterisk * are also on the Best of Music Club issue.

I have seen Dorothy twice relatively recently, last time was in October. Her voice has lost nothing at all, and she has a understated yet commanding presence on stage. She really moved the audience.

Kamasu_Jr
02-13-2011, 01:00 PM
You guys haven't failed me yet and I am sure you won't this time. I have been noticing a new collection by Dorothy entitled "Best of Dorothy Moore." It was released on the Music Collection label in December and has a blue and gray cover. I have seen it listed for sale on a number of websites, but none of them list the tracks.

So who has a track listing for this CD?

I've often wondered if it's Dorothy Moore singing with James Carr on his version of Dark End Of the Street? It sure sounds like her and I see she recorded the song as well.

David, what do you think of Denise Lasalle's latest disc? I like it, but it makes me kind of sad because it shows how Denise's voice has changed with age. The lioness can still roar on songs like I'm Your Kitten, but her pitch is a little wavy or unsteady. She sounds a bit trembly.

tomato tom
02-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Bin talkin to Martha?

daviddesper
02-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks Mike. I was not aware of the similarity in label to the other collection, so you are probably correct that it is just a re-packaging of that one. I also have the two CD collection you mentioned and think it is great. I also have the ones issued by that label for Denise LaSalle and Fern Kinney.

As for Dorothy, it would be nice if she could record some new material, but I guess she is no longer actively with a label.

Kamasu, to answer your Denise question, yes I have listened to the new CD a time or two, but it will take a while to grow on me. It is an improvement over the Ecko material for sure, but still far below the previous work on Malaco. I think her first 3-4 CDs with them were the best work she ever did, especially the "Right Place, Right Time" and "Love Talkin" CDs.

I can't say that I notice the difference you do in her voice, but my biggest disappointment is in her lyrical content and her creativity. She just sings the same old type songs that everyone else does now, whereas in the good old days, you couldn't beat a cleverly written Denise song such as Your Husband is Cheating On Us.

So I fear we will never have that Denise back. But I am glad that she is still with us and I hope she will stick around as long as her health allows. She turns 72 this July.

heikki
02-14-2011, 01:59 AM
Hi!

www.farishstreetrecords.com

Best regards
Heikki