PDA

View Full Version : LOVE CHILD Album

test

longtimefan
07-22-2018, 07:25 PM
Except for the front and back covers of this album, I have never seen any other shots from this particular photo shoot. Have I missed something?

marybrewster
07-22-2018, 10:57 PM
A while back there was a thread about the exact location about this shoot.

I'm guessing because of timing, it was done in LA. Wasn't the LP a bit of a rush job? Regardless, as you've said, I've never seen anything else either, except for the Sullivan rehearsal pics where all three are in LC sweatshirts.

I wonder if those are in Mary's collection? Someone once posted that it was included in her gown exhibit, but they thought it was a replica.

mysterysinger
07-23-2018, 12:11 AM
Earlier thread

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?20241-Finding-quot-Love-Child-quot-cover-photo-location&highlight=love+child+photos

sup_fan
07-23-2018, 11:38 AM
definitely a rushed job. the single was released on sept 30 and then the album was released on nov 13.

i remember reading somewhere, years ago, that the first week sales of LC [[single) were astronomical. They debuted it on Sullivan and the next day it was in stores. i thought i read that it had sold hundreds of thousands of copies just in the few week or two. So obviously they knew immediately that it was a mega hit. The planned Something lp was immediately canned and they rapidly pulled together the LC set. some were new tracks just recorded and others were already complete. i don't have all of the recording data so some of this might be hit or miss

Love Child - recorded late Sept
Keep an eye - ???
How long evening train - recorded july 68
Does your mama - oct 68
honey bee - march and then again may 68
something - april 68

he's my sunny boy - april 68
you've been so wonderful to me - april 68
chains of love - may 68
ain't living until you're loving - aug 68
I'll set you free - aug 68
can't shake it loose - feb 68

Initially they wanted the album to have a more serious, socially conscience viewpoint. Some of the tracks that were recorded around this time that might have been included were:

The Beginning of the End of Love
Shadow of Society
if You should walk away
wish i knew
macarthur park
i can't give back the love i feel for you
ain't no sun since you've been gone
in the evening of our love
i'm go glad i got somebody like you around
will this be the day
those precious memories

i don't know what additional tracks were really considered for the lp.

marybrewster
07-23-2018, 12:46 PM
I think it's telling also that DRATS performed this twice on Sullivan; 1st performance with the LC sweatshirt and "street" clothes, the second in pink [[?) crushed velvet pantsuits. I assume the 2nd performance was shortly after the 1st, because of the immense popularity of the song.

sup_fan
07-23-2018, 12:55 PM
the second was in January 69 when they were on the show to launch Living in Shame. they did Love Child first and then the new song. I'm assuming the idea was to link Shame to LC in people's mind

they then did the I Get A Kick Out Of You medley

sup_fan
07-23-2018, 12:58 PM
the Some Things You Never Get Used To album barely used any of the same tracks as the eventual LC album

Some things you never get used to
Heaven must have sent you
He'd my sunny boy
Come on and See me
Can I get a witness
You've been so wonderful to me

My Guy
it's not unusual
Just a little misunderstanding
uptight
What becomes of the broken hearted
blowin in the wind

It's almost a "supremes sing motown songs" lp

marybrewster
07-23-2018, 07:52 PM
the Some Things You Never Get Used To album barely used any of the same tracks as the eventual LC album

He'd my sunny boy
Come on and See me
Can I get a witness

My Guy
it's not unusual
uptight
blowin in the wind

Pretty much a throw away album; not much better than "Let the SS In" or "Cream of the Crop".

westgrandboulevard
07-24-2018, 03:22 AM
definitely a rushed job. the single was released on sept 30 and then the album was released on nov 13.

i remember reading somewhere, years ago, that the first week sales of LC [[single) were astronomical. They debuted it on Sullivan and the next day it was in stores. i thought i read that it had sold hundreds of thousands of copies just in the few week or two. So obviously they knew immediately that it was a mega hit. The planned Something lp was immediately canned and they rapidly pulled together the LC set. some were new tracks just recorded and others were already complete. i don't have all of the recording data so some of this might be hit or miss

Love Child - recorded late Sept
Keep an eye - ???
How long evening train - recorded july 68
Does your mama - oct 68
honey bee - march and then again may 68
something - april 68

he's my sunny boy - april 68
you've been so wonderful to me - april 68
chains of love - may 68
ain't living until you're loving - aug 68
I'll set you free - aug 68
can't shake it loose - feb 68

Initially they wanted the album to have a more serious, socially conscience viewpoint. Some of the tracks that were recorded around this time that might have been included were:

The Beginning of the End of Love
Shadow of Society
if You should walk away
wish i knew
macarthur park
i can't give back the love i feel for you
ain't no sun since you've been gone
in the evening of our love
i'm go glad i got somebody like you around
will this be the day
those precious memories

i don't know what additional tracks were really considered for the lp.

From the 'DFTMC' website, completion dates of tracks used for the 'Love Child' album:

Love Child..............................September 20 1968
Keep An Eye...........................August 8 1968
How Long.............................. October 2 1968
Does Your Mama.....................October 4 1968
Honey Bee.............................May 12 1968, [[not used); June 5 1968
Some Things..........................May 7 1968

He's My Sunny Boy..................May 27 1968
You've Been So Wonderful........May 14 1968
[[Don't Break These) Chains..... June 29 1968
You Ain't Livin'........................September 23 1968
I'll Set You Free......................September 5 1968
Can't Shake It Loose...............June 5 1968

Completion dates of the additional tracks mentioned:

Beginning Of The End Of Love...March 26 1968
Shadows Of Society.................January 20 1969
If You Should Walk Away..........June 19 1968

Wish I Knew...........................July 30 1968
MacArthur Park.......................January 10 1969
I Can't Give Back The Love.......July 31 1968
Ain't No Sun...........................August 2 1968

In The Evening Of Our Love......September 13 1968
I'm So Glad I Got Somebody.....December 31 1968
Will This Be The Day................June 18 1968
Those Precious Memories..........November 26 1968

Circa 1824
07-25-2018, 07:23 AM
1968 was one of Diana's peak vocal years, IMHO.

RanRan79
07-26-2018, 11:46 AM

He'd my sunny boy
Come on and See me
Can I get a witness

My Guy
it's not unusual
uptight
blowin in the wind

And that release would've started the trend of Motown seemingly not caring about the albums that DRATS released. Flo and the Supremes albums seemed to have mostly been carefully put together. Even the first DRATS album Reflections seemed to be done with care. The Somethings album, titled after a song that did absolutely nothing, would've sunk and it would've sucked. Nearly every song is a Flo song, which means they sounded dated as hell by 1968. And the fact that "My Guy" was even considered for inclusion is enough to make me want to burn Hitsville down. [[I regard that song as perhaps the absolute worst song the original trio ever recorded. Absolutely horrible in every way. A total disgrace to the original tune.) Thankfully "Love Child" was the hit and the album was restructured. LC was IMO the best song for song album that DRATS released, aside from Join. While I actually really like the Sunshine album, it's clear that it and Cream [[which I don't particularly like) were thrown together without much thought.

sup_fan
07-26-2018, 11:55 AM
i always enjoy your passion Ran lol :o

I think the Reflections lp really started the trend towards the WTF albums. note that it's not WTF songs. if you look at the overall recording history during DRATS, they do tons of great material [[and some garbage too of course). For the most part, i like all of the released songs but when and how they're released is the problem. All of the DRATS albums are IMO musical potpourri where they take a little of that style and a little of another and mash it together. Guess they were trying to display versatility. but what would have worked better was to use each album as a unified approach and develop it throughout that 1 set. then for the next album change it up - try a different style or approach. but at the time that wasn't their strategy.

thank god for playlists. i've basically made alt lps for all of the DRATS sets and even A go go and HDH. frankly i think A Go Go is a bit of a weak set. not as bad as what was to come but certainly not as strong as its predecessors. The cool/hip album name, the hit singles and the track list sold this one. once i heard some of the covers, i was pretty underwhelmed.

bradsupremes
07-26-2018, 11:58 AM
I think the Some Things album should have looked like this. If you follow the track list, it tells a story.

Side One
1.) Will This Be The Day
2.) Heaven Must Have Sent You
3.) He's My Sunny Boy
4.) Sweet Thing
5.) You've Been So Wonderful To Me
6.) [[Don't Break These) Chains Of Love

Side Two
1.) I'll Set You Free
2.) A Little Breeze
3.) If You Should Walk Away
4.) The Beginning Of The End Of Love
5.) Stay In My Lonely Arms
6.) Some Things You Never Get Used To

lucky2012
07-26-2018, 12:09 PM
I think the Reflections lp really started the trend towards the WTF albums. note that it's not WTF songs. if you look at the overall recording history during DRATS, they do tons of great material [[and some garbage too of course). For the most part, i like all of the released songs but when and how they're released is the problem. All of the DRATS albums are IMO musical potpourri where they take a little of that style and a little of another and mash it together. Guess they were trying to display versatility. but what would have worked better was to use each album as a unified approach and develop it throughout that 1 set. then for the next album change it up - try a different style or approach. but at the time that wasn't their strategy.

thank god for playlists. i've basically made alt lps for all of the DRATS sets and even A go go and HDH. frankly i think A Go Go is a bit of a weak set. not as bad as what was to come but certainly not as strong as its predecessors. The cool/hip album name, the hit singles and the track list sold this one. once i heard some of the covers, i was pretty underwhelmed.
I don't really need to post now because I wholeheartedly agree about everything you said, especially re: playlists and A' Go Go. If for some sad reason the expanded editions were to be curtailed or limited, I only ask that Love Child, of the DRATS albums, at least be expanded.

RanRan79
07-26-2018, 05:27 PM
i always enjoy your passion Ran lol :o

Thanks Sup, and I yours!!

I didn't think Reflections was thrown together. It may have been, but it doesn't feel that way. I thought most of the tracks were contemporary and appropriate for the album, although I would have made some changes in production. For instance, "What the World Needs Now" the original version [[can't think of the lady who sings it) seems tailor made for the Supremes, except Diana's vocal seems uninspired and lifeless, and Flo and Mary seem to follow her lead. Diana was more than capable of putting some "umph" in her vocal and it seems the producers really dropped the ball there, the same with Flo and Mary. To be honest, this is one cut that I feel the Andantes were better off on than Flo and Mary if Flo and Mary weren't going to bring their A game, as we know Flo and Mary were capable of tearing it up. Also "Ode to Billy Joe" suffers from Diana's light, bouncy, airy interpretation. That song is dark and needs a dark reading. Had the producers produced her vocal like "Reflections", Diana's solo of "Ode" would have been really nice. Of course I think Mary doing the song could've been a highlight of the album. I would rather Mary have done the lead to "Ode to Billy Joe" than "Come and Get These Memories", which both Florence and Diana were better suited for.

RanRan79
07-26-2018, 05:37 PM

I agree about A GoGo. The expanded edition brought a whole new life to the album because of what the guys did to it, but in it's original state, the album is good, it really is, but it's still a little stale. Actually it seems like Gordy and company seemed to fall in love with the Supremes doing tracks cut in LA as opposed to Detroit, which makes no sense to me. Thankfully the singles during this time were Funk Brothers classics, but a lot of the album filler and even a lot of the stuff that has surfaced over the years seem to be LA tracks, or at least a nice amount are. I can't say for sure but it seems to me like the Supremes cut more LA tracks than their labelmates. And no disrespect to the great musicianship that was the Wrecking Crew, but when I'm listening to Motown I want to hear the Funks. There is a big difference in their sounds. I think I'm pretty good at telling the difference between the two. I've only been shocked once to find out that a track was cut in LA and I thought it was Detroit [["I'm Ready for Love") and the more I listen to it the more I kinda go "yeah, I hear it now".

Back to A Go Go...listening to "This Old Heart of Mine", the vocals are great, as is the track, but it suffers in comparison to the original. The Isley version would've undoubtedly been a huge hit for the Supremes had they recorded it in the same way. The Funks are tearing that track up. The Supremes' version sounds a bit stale up against it. Good, but not classic. I think a lot of the Supremes album fillers fall in the category of good, but not classic, far more than the Tempts, the Tops and Martha and the Vandellas.

RanRan79
07-26-2018, 05:40 PM
I think the Some Things album should have looked like this. If you follow the track list, it tells a story.

Side One
1.) Will This Be The Day
3.) He's My Sunny Boy
4.) Sweet Thing

Side Two
1.) I'll Set You Free
2.) A Little Breeze

That would have been a classic album.

midnightman
07-27-2018, 08:00 PM
The Love Child ALBUM was a wasted opportunity. Great cover, great few songs that fit the theme and then included songs that didn't fit it. I can't stand filler albums.

@bradsupremes, that's a great track list!

johnjeb
07-27-2018, 10:12 PM
I liked the Love Child album when it was released and even more so in recent years. Probably my second favorite of Supremes albums behind WDOLG. Although not bad, for me 3 songs weaken the overall appeal of the album: Some Things, Wonderful To Me and Livin' Until Your Lovin'. I like that this album does not have any Pop or non-Motown songs. So those 3 songs are better than what could have been. I have only recently started to appreciate the cover. Back in the day I thought it was silly and would have preferred a more glamorous Supremes album cover.

I also like the Pop-oriented Reflections album. I think the album is just about perfect, as is the cover. [[Let's hope that the Expanded Edition does not contain any Disney songs - ugh!)

Reflections is certainly better than the similar Pop-oriented Sunshine album, a year later. I think Everyday People and Aquarius are not Diana's best efforts. I think Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone and Nitty Gritty would have fit nicely. The cover is a bit busy.

I love A' Go-Go. Although I rarely play the album in full, I never skip the songs when they rotate on my devices. However, I wish Mary had been given a better song, maybe Too Many Fish - that would have been fun.

The HDH album pales in comparison, imo. I like the hits and their flips and a couple of other songs but do not care for the Motown covers, which I think are dreadful. The Expanded Editions of these albums have given me new perspective.

daviddh
07-28-2018, 11:17 AM
i like most of the Supremes albums up to Go Go , which to me was uneven. they rocked out Itching In My Heart but other tracks were lackluster, the expanded edition even a lot of that out and made some of those songs pop.
with Sing HDH, I love it but I thought Heatwave and Same Old Song were filler and disappointing. I was hoping for the new expanded edition we would get new mixes of both. but overall love this album.
I look forward to Reflections. I agree, with previous statement regarding What The World Needs Now. was this a rush job. I would have dropped Ode To Billie Jo as well.
I like the Love Child set as is. only song I didn't like was Somethings You Never Get but I have grown to love dianas vocal on it. this is one song I would love to see get a remix ,and Forever Came Today.
hopefully we wont wait until 2019 for the next release but …..probably

RanRan79
07-28-2018, 11:33 AM
I agree, with previous statement regarding What The World Needs Now. was this a rush job. I would have dropped Ode To Billie Jo as well.
I like the Love Child set as is. only song I didn't like was Somethings You Never Get but I have grown to love dianas vocal on it. this is one song I would love to see get a remix ,and Forever Came Today.

"What the World Needs" was recorded during the A Go Go sessions. If you listen to the very beginning on the expanded edition, when Diana is singing acapella she sounds weak, pretty bad. It's clear that the orchestration ultimately covers up how bad she sounds during the recording. If they were going to reach into the vault for a song for the Reflections album and really wanted this one, they should have had Ross go in and re-record her lead. They could've also had either Mary and Cindy or the Andantes [[preferably a combo of the two) re-record the background. I'm not sure why they put it on the album and left it as is.

As for "Somethings", I never understood why this was the single. It doesn't sound very commercial to me. However, I've always loved it. That track is amazing and Diana's vocal is fantastic. She really keeps up with the frenetic backing track. The whole thing was well done and it should have been clear to Gordy and company, despite the failure of the actual single, that pairing Ross with Ashford and Simpson was an excellent idea. The chemistry between them was perfect.

PeaceNHarmony
07-28-2018, 11:56 AM

Side One
1.) Will This Be The Day
3.) He's My Sunny Boy
4.) Sweet Thing

Side Two
1.) I'll Set You Free
2.) A Little Breeze

Very interesting how this track listing does indeed create a concept album. Great work.

lucky2012
07-28-2018, 04:45 PM

Side One
1.) Will This Be The Day
3.) He's My Sunny Boy
4.) Sweet Thing

Side Two
1.) I'll Set You Free
2.) A Little Breeze

Very nice. I think I'll try to make a playlist from this and enjoy a whole new DRATS album!

snakepit
07-28-2018, 05:03 PM
One person's filler is another person's gem.

lucky2012
07-28-2018, 05:26 PM
The Love Child ALBUM was a wasted opportunity. Great cover, great few songs that fit the theme and then included songs that didn't fit it. I can't stand filler albums.

Love Child is my favorite DRATS album [[meaning the albums released after the classic DMF Supremes albums). Sure, it is a filler album, but, imo, a very satisfying album. The first four tracks are the best four tracks ever to lead off a Supremes album. Powerful, cohesive in style, sound and execution, they really set the tone for what could possibly have been one of the greatest Supremes [[or Motown) album of the 60's. The rest of the album doesn't measure up. I think I'll Set You Free, Can't Shake It Loose and Somethings You Never Get Used To fit the feel and theme closely enough. Keep An Eye, Somethings and You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin' were by Ashford & Simpson and who could argue with the perfect fit of Ross and A&S? Imo, I'll Set You Free sounds like a precursor to the type of songs the Corporation would produce for the Jackson 5 in a year's time and that's a good thing. It also fits the harder-edged sound of the leading tracks. Don't Break These Chains was pure Motown Pop that helped ease the heaviness of the album's mood. Tracks from other DRATS albums I think would have fit Love Child are Bah Bah Bah from Reflections, I'm So Glad I've Got Somebody Like You Around from Let The Sunshine In, Can't You See It's Me from Cream of the Crop. Maybe also Everyday People and Hey Western Union Man but not Shadows of Society or The Young Folks, which are socially conscious songs but, imo, unremarkable.

daviddh
07-28-2018, 05:43 PM
"What the World Needs" was recorded during the A Go Go sessions. If you listen to the very beginning on the expanded edition, when Diana is singing acapella she sounds weak, pretty bad. It's clear that the orchestration ultimately covers up how bad she sounds during the recording. If they were going to reach into the vault for a song for the Reflections album and really wanted this one, they should have had Ross go in and re-record her lead. They could've also had either Mary and Cindy or the Andantes [[preferably a combo of the two) re-record the background. I'm not sure why they put it on the album and left it as is.

As for "Somethings", I never understood why this was the single. It doesn't sound very commercial to me. However, I've always loved it. That track is amazing and Diana's vocal is fantastic. She really keeps up with the frenetic backing track. The whole thing was well done and it should have been clear to Gordy and company, despite the failure of the actual single, that pairing Ross with Ashford and Simpson was an excellent idea. The chemistry between them was perfect.
totally agree, you said it much better than I did. I did forget that What The World Needs was recorded earlier. it almost sounds like a marking or run thru.

lucky2012
07-28-2018, 06:10 PM

I was astonished to read somewhere that What the World Needs Now Is Love was planned to be a single. If so, surely Motown would have wanted to [[drastically) improve the tracks we've been listening to or completely re-record the song. It may have worked, following the Summer of Love [[1967).
Yeah, I was surprised and a bit dismayed when Somethings was released. Definitely did not sound or feel like a Supremes single. [[To a lesser degree, neither did Forever Came Today). In retrospect, though, it does feel like a Diana Ross & the Supremes record. I agree with you, I like the track and for the reasons you say. The first example of the Ross/A&S chemistry.

RanRan79
07-29-2018, 04:35 PM
I was astonished to read somewhere that What the World Needs Now Is Love was planned to be a single. If so, surely Motown would have wanted to [[drastically) improve the tracks we've been listening to or completely re-record the song. It may have worked, following the Summer of Love [[1967).
Yeah, I was surprised and a bit dismayed when Somethings was released. Definitely did not sound or feel like a Supremes single. [[To a lesser degree, neither did Forever Came Today). In retrospect, though, it does feel like a Diana Ross & the Supremes record. I agree with you, I like the track and for the reasons you say. The first example of the Ross/A&S chemistry.

I forgot all about "What the World Needs" being considered for single release. That would have been a horrible decision.

reese
07-29-2018, 04:41 PM
I forgot all about "What the World Needs" being considered for single release. That would have been a horrible decision.

And it was going to be backed by YOUR KISS OF FIRE, no less! Weird.

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
07-29-2018, 10:36 PM
"Some Things You Never Get Used To" is a very odd record. I personally like it, but there is just something missing. I think it had potential but for whatever reason, it starts out sounding like it's going to be exciting and then never really goes anywhere. There are fantastic elements: a funky drum performance, great guitars, excellent horns and yet it's a case where I totally understand the saying "the whole is less that the sum of its parts."