PDA

View Full Version : The Bobby Brown Story Trailer

test

Luciano
07-22-2018, 08:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAqF4_UBKh8&list=WL&t=0s&index=8

glencro
07-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Between the New Edition story and the Whitney movies, you wonder how many times can Bobby's story be told. He definitely stayed in the news more than all of the other members put together. It may be an interesting movie, I'm just not feeling the lady cast as Whitney.

midnightman
07-22-2018, 05:25 PM
I have a bad feeling he's gonna trash two of our biggest legends [[Whitney and Janet) in this.

I'm just waiting for the public shaming. BB&D should be ashamed of still associating with this clown. Bobby's the reason that Home Again tour went bust because his narcissistic, coke and alcohol-addicted a$$ didn't wanna leave the stage.

arr&bee
07-23-2018, 03:31 PM
What???i hadn't heard of this til now,you would think that[bet]could find someone more deserving to feature.

midnightman
07-23-2018, 09:46 PM
What???i hadn't heard of this til now,you would think that[bet]could find someone more deserving to feature.

Bobby wanted one after the New Edition biopic so naturally BET gave him one. It's insulting, really.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/whstn.gif

soulster
07-23-2018, 10:08 PM
I have a bad feeling he's gonna trash two of our biggest legends [[Whitney and Janet) in this.

I'm just waiting for the public shaming. BB&D should be ashamed of still associating with this clown. Bobby's the reason that Home Again tour went bust because his narcissistic, coke and alcohol-addicted a$$ didn't wanna leave the stage.

I think you are being totally unfair to Bobby Brown. Can you tell me exactly what he has factually done? I don't want rumors. I want facts.

midnightman
07-23-2018, 10:20 PM
I think you are being totally unfair to Bobby Brown. Can you tell me exactly what he has factually done? I don't want rumors. I want facts.

Claimed he was in a relationship with Janet Jackson and after she told him she couldn't be with him because Papa Joe hated dark skinned black men, he kicked her out of the hotel room in her panties [[and he actually SAID THIS, now if that was true or not, who knows, but that came from HIM).

Said Whitney got him into cocaine [[no he didn't get her on it but I don't think Whitney nab "poor Bobby" into her drug zone). He was already messing with coke before he got with her [[i.e., New Edition bio). Maybe not as much as Whitney [[according to her brothers, they clowned him for not being on coke as much as them at the time) but still a good amount.

Those are NOT rumors, dude.

Also, he keeps changing his words. Seriously would you trust a guy like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrULI2HXo6M

But yeah I'm unfair to a two-album wonder has-been lol

http://37.media.tumblr.com/720a6f1d1221f84e5eeb8d945c9cd713/tumblr_n3vzjp6qrQ1qlgh5qo1_400.gif

;)

Jerry Oz
07-23-2018, 11:00 PM
No disrespect intended, but Bobby Brown was the worst singer in New Edition. His second album serves as his greatest hits collection with wonderful production from LaFace and Teddy Riley making them the true stars on the record. His ego is much bigger than his level of talent, in my opinion. I'm amazed at how huge his pop culture footprint proved to be.

I'm not looking forward to the movie because most biopics do their best to hide the warts of their subjects without realizing that those warts are what makes them relatable. "Walk The Line" and "Ray" were so good because they showed the dark side of their subjects. I have a feeling that this movie might actually show his low point, but it might prove to make him look better than it needs to. Sort of like how the Temptations movie showed dirt on everyone but Otis, who had a role in its production. There's nothing wrong with being human.

soulster
07-24-2018, 10:27 AM
Claimed he was in a relationship with Janet Jackson and after she told him she couldn't be with him because Papa Joe hated dark skinned black men, he kicked her out of the hotel room in her panties [[and he actually SAID THIS, now if that was true or not, who knows, but that came from HIM).

Said Whitney got him into cocaine [[no he didn't get her on it but I don't think Whitney nab "poor Bobby" into her drug zone). He was already messing with coke before he got with her [[i.e., New Edition bio). Maybe not as much as Whitney [[according to her brothers, they clowned him for not being on coke as much as them at the time) but still a good amount.

Those are NOT rumors, dude.

They sound like rumors tio me. Where did you get your information?

;)[/QUOTE]

midnightman
07-24-2018, 12:09 PM
No disrespect intended, but Bobby Brown was the worst singer in New Edition. His second album serves as his greatest hits collection with wonderful production from LaFace and Teddy Riley making them the true stars on the record. His ego is much bigger than his level of talent, in my opinion. I'm amazed at how huge his pop culture footprint proved to be.

I'm not looking forward to the movie because most biopics do their best to hide the warts of their subjects without realizing that those warts are what makes them relatable. "Walk The Line" and "Ray" were so good because they showed the dark side of their subjects. I have a feeling that this movie might actually show his low point, but it might prove to make him look better than it needs to. Sort of like how the Temptations movie showed dirt on everyone but Otis, who had a role in its production. There's nothing wrong with being human.

Right. And I agree in retrospect that he was indeed the worst of the singers in NE. Johnny, Ricky and Ralph sing much better than him and it's easy to see why Ralph was picked as lead singer over Bobby. The real reason the second album became huge was because Teddy Riley and Babyface were THE MEN of the hour and they created some great songs that ended up in Bobby's lap because after the first one bombed something hard, he needed something to blow him up. Had it not been for his performance skills, which was always way better than his singing [[well then anyway lmao) and him being some 19-year-old kid, it wouldn't have worked. It was more of the "right place at the right time" scenarios. And I love Don't Be Cruel.

But there is a reason his DBC follow-up only went platinum because the songs weren't as good as times were changing. Ironically the same year he released that "Bobby" album, Whitney was heading into megastar status with "The Bodyguard".

They will show the dark side. I mean at one point, he got addicted to heroin and overdosed and that's why he got that lip drawl, which has probably subsided now but he still shows effects of it.

Also, for those [[including Whitney's bros) who think he was a "lightweight", he seemed to be in a rush to snort something during this performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0C3zckQ4Kk

Drug issues, DUI's, domestic violence, that "reality show", I can go on and on... just a MESS that he is.

marv2
07-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Bobby Brown was one of my favorite music acts in the late 80s. He definitely has an amazing story to tell. He was full of charisma, star power and confidence, as well as full of sh*t as some people would surmise. LOL! Bad boy personified!

Still, you cannot deny that he is very talented and lived his life BIG! I am looking forward to this bio-pic. Thank you Luciano for the heads up!

soulster
07-25-2018, 03:47 AM
You have to remember people: the focus of the New Jack Swing wasn't vocal prowess. It was all about the music, the groove, the vibe. That's where Bobby shone. If you're looking for a vocal performance, Bobby Brown isn't it. Johnny Gill is.

The New Jack Swing era wasn't about the old geezers who came up in the 60s, it was about the youngbloods. It wasn't exactly hip-hop, and it wasn't exactly R&B. It was a mixture of both, with some funk added in for flava. remember that when you're continually bashing Bobby Brown.

Me? I dug his "Don't be Cruel" album, and "My Prerogative" is my jam! Teddy Riley was behind it? So what!

Everybody's talkin' all this stuff about me
Why don't they just let me live [[Tell me why)

And, "Humpin' Around" is another fantastic jam!

marv2
07-25-2018, 01:16 PM
You have to remember people: the focus of the New Jack Swing wasn't vocal prowess. It was all about the music, the groove, the vibe. That's where Bobby shone. If you're looking for a vocal performance, Bobby Brown isn't it. Johnny Gill is.

The New Jack Swing era wasn't about the old geezers who came up in the 60s, it was about the youngbloods. It wasn't exactly hip-hop, and it wasn't exactly R&B. It was a mixture of both, with some funk added in for flava. remember that when you're continually bashing Bobby Brown.

Me? I dug his "Don't be Cruel" album, and "My Prerogative" is my jam! Teddy Riley was behind it? So what!

Throw in "On Our Own" from "Ghostbusters II" and you have an anthology......hehehehehehe!

Jerry Oz
07-25-2018, 02:32 PM

Why don't they just let me live [[Tell me why) Like I said before, "Don't Be Cruel" [[the album) could serve as his greatest hits collection for me. Every song on the album was dynamite. Just like Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever", which Riley also produced. I'm wondering if the New Jack Swing era is when producers actually became the stars of the records. Teddy Riley [[along with Gene Griffin) put his footprint all over that genre. Remember "Him Or Me" by Today? Dude had similar difficulty singing in key to Bobby but that song was the jam. The production was the star of that song. I never really gave it much thought but Riley might have been one of the most influential producers and artists from the standpoint that you have dozens of guys following his blueprint.

Maybe he needs his own thread.

marv2
07-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Like I said before, "Don't Be Cruel" [[the album) could serve as his greatest hits collection for me. Every song on the album was dynamite. Just like Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever", which Riley also produced. I'm wondering if the New Jack Swing era is when producers actually became the stars of the records. Teddy Riley [[along with Gene Griffin) put his footprint all over that genre. Remember "Him Or Me" by Today? Dude had similar difficulty singing in key to Bobby but that song was the jam. The production was the star of that song. I never really gave it much thought but Riley might have been one of the most influential producers and artists from the standpoint that you have dozens of guys following his blueprint.

Maybe he needs his own thread.

Teddy Riley and his productions would warrant a separate thread.

Bluebrock
07-26-2018, 02:53 AM

Completely agree with you. He was a talent free zone with an ego the size of a stadium. I still have nightmares over his behaviour when he was promoting the DON'T BE CRUEL album. He was rude, abusive, foul mouthed and totally unprofessional. I would just about have tolerated this had he had any musical talent to offer, but he quite simply could not carry a tune in a bucket. All this was prior to him meeting Whitney, and i have been told his behaviour became even worse once his record sales began to slide. An odious human being with no redeeming features.

soulster
07-26-2018, 03:44 AM
Just like Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever", which Riley also produced.

Teddy Riley co-produced that first album with Sweat. He was already in the music business, working as a Wall Street assistant broker at day, producer/singer/songwriter at night.

What surprises me is that Sweat is his real surname!

soulster
07-26-2018, 03:46 AM
...and i have been told his behaviour became even worse once his record sales began to slide. An odious human being with no redeeming features.

Are you sure it wasn't the drugs influencing his behavior?

And, before the tired old lie gets out of hand: Whitney was already a drug user and a "problem child" user before she met Bobby Brown.

Jerry Oz
07-26-2018, 05:48 PM
Yeah, Whitney's problems are well documented. She went into her relationship with Bobby with a long and public record that told her who he was so anyone who places her decline on him is trying to find a reason to blame someone.

Jerry Oz
07-26-2018, 05:56 PM
Teddy Riley co-produced that first album with Sweat. He was already in the music business, working as a Wall Street assistant broker at day, producer/singer/songwriter at night.

What surprises me is that Sweat is his real surname!Keith Sweat was another singer with a unique voice that benefited greatly from working with great producers. The difference between him and Bobby Brown is that Sweat's voice actually made the records better whereas Brown's voice didn't ruin them.

That might sound harsh, but listen to the songs on his first album. Those songs sound like the musical equivalent of the shock you feel after noticing an elephant turd floating in a hot tub. To his credit, Ralph Tresvant had a better voice but Brown produced better records, so I won't suggest that he got by on charisma alone. He just was never going to be one of my favorite singers. He didn't have to be one of my favorite people.

soulster
07-26-2018, 07:32 PM
He just was never going to be one of my favorite singers. He didn't have to be one of my favorite people.

I know most of the SDF crowd tends to focus only on the singing, but, again, the vocal wasn't the point of New Jack Swing. It was the music.

Notice how Bobby's vocal is always processed to a degree? That tells you right there that he didn't have the chops. But, so what? The recordings still sounded good. I enjoy them more than any of the other New Edition spawns.

midnightman
07-26-2018, 11:04 PM
Like I said, Bobby honestly couldn't sing to save his life.

Without Babyface and Teddy, the songs wouldn't have sizzled as they did. Lucky for Bobby at the time, he was in the right era where hip-hop and dance pop/R&B mixed perfectly that he could get away with it until it got old real fast.

By the time "Humpin' Around" came out, all the people who had bought Don't Be Cruel had moved on to other R&B talents.

I only say he was a two-album wonder because the "Bobby" album went platinum but it fell REAL short of Don't Be Cruel, Bobby's only moment of real superstardom. Afterwards, when he married Whitney, he just became Whitney's husband.

Also, the film's trailer did point out that drugs had taken over his need to continue his career so at least it's honest in that department.

A new trailer came out the other day and let's just say there are gonna be a few scenes that will be hard to watch especially when it comes to Bobby & Whitney.

midnightman
07-26-2018, 11:09 PM
Keith Sweat was another singer with a unique voice that benefited greatly from working with great producers. The difference between him and Bobby Brown is that Sweat's voice actually made the records better whereas Brown's voice didn't ruin them.

That might sound harsh, but listen to the songs on his first album. Those songs sound like the musical equivalent of the shock you feel after noticing an elephant turd floating in a hot tub. To his credit, Ralph Tresvant had a better voice but Brown produced better records, so I won't suggest that he got by on charisma alone. He just was never going to be one of my favorite singers. He didn't have to be one of my favorite people.

Keith had more range but he always sounded like he was whining lmao [[that was something that was repeated often during his heyday; I still remember the stand up routine on Comic View where this female comic compared him to a child whining about food to the tune of "Nobody" lol)

THAT SAID, Keith had more classics than Bobby so he did have something that Bobby didn't have. Ralph's solo career was tragic, I wished people really knew how to produce him like they knew how to produce Bobby!

midnightman
07-26-2018, 11:11 PM
Yeah, Whitney's problems are well documented. She went into her relationship with Bobby with a long and public record that told her who he was so anyone who places her decline on him is trying to find a reason to blame someone.

I wouldn't blame Bobby either but he surely was no help!

https://media.tenor.com/images/155fa27b884bf888c8f2cc54bde86666/tenor.gif

Since he came into the relationship with his own drug baggage. Both of them controlled it to a fault until they met each other. Them enabling each other made it worse for the both of them imho.

midnightman
07-26-2018, 11:14 PM
Completely agree with you. He was a talent free zone with an ego the size of a stadium. I still have nightmares over his behaviour when he was promoting the DON'T BE CRUEL album. He was rude, abusive, foul mouthed and totally unprofessional. I would just about have tolerated this had he had any musical talent to offer, but he quite simply could not carry a tune in a bucket. All this was prior to him meeting Whitney, and i have been told his behaviour became even worse once his record sales began to slide. An odious human being with no redeeming features.

People would just excuse that to say "well he was 19, of course he was gonna be rude". But that was the opposite of, say, Michael Jackson...

And yeah everyone is in pretty much agreement that Bobby's behavior got worse once he couldn't sell records anymore, which was about 99.5% his fault.

Jerry Oz
07-27-2018, 02:26 PM
THAT SAID, Keith had more classics than Bobby so he did have something that Bobby didn't have. Ralph's solo career was tragic, I wished people really knew how to produce him like they knew how to produce Bobby!That's a sad fact of the music game. I was still a boy when my dad taught me that Tony Williams wasn't the same without the Platters and Paul Desmond wasn't as good without Dave Brubeck as he was with him. The list is long [[consider Michael Cooper after Con Funk Shun disbanded). Sometimes, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Ralph had great songs to sing with New Edition and a whole lot of yawners without them. To be honest though, he never put a lot of lung or inflection into even his hits. Like a male version of Janet Jackson [[don't @ me for that statement, y'all).

Bluebrock
07-28-2018, 08:39 AM
Are you sure it wasn't the drugs influencing his behavior?

And, before the tired old lie gets out of hand: Whitney was already a drug user and a "problem child" user before she met Bobby Brown.
Yes, i am well aware of that. I never implied otherwise. We are discussing Bobby Brown here not Whitney.

marv2
07-28-2018, 09:53 AM
People would just excuse that to say "well he was 19, of course he was gonna be rude". But that was the opposite of, say, Michael Jackson...

And yeah everyone is in pretty much agreement that Bobby's behavior got worse once he couldn't sell records anymore, which was about 99.5% his fault.

Yeah well, Michael's public behavior could be attributed to his father, Mr. Joseph Jackson, but many people like to slam him! Bobby Brown did not have a father constant in his life [[to my knowledge) and definitely not one that was as determined as Joe Jackson to make him a star. Bobby Brown made himself a star! He willed it! He is truly amazing if you believe the bullshit I just read on here! For a person with ZERO talent, he became the biggest male R&B artist during the 1988-90 time period! LOL!!! That is not an easy fete!

marv2
07-28-2018, 09:54 AM
That's a sad fact of the music game. I was still a boy when my dad taught me that Tony Williams wasn't the same without the Platters and Paul Desmond wasn't as good without Dave Brubeck as he was with him. The list is long [[consider Michael Cooper after Con Funk Shun disbanded). Sometimes, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Ralph had great songs to sing with New Edition and a whole lot of yawners without them. To be honest though, he never put a lot of lung or inflection into even his hits. Like a male version of Janet Jackson [[don't @ me for that statement, y'all).

Yeah well there are cases such as Jeffrey Osborne and LTD!

Jerry Oz
07-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Jeffrey went on without a hitch, didn't he? And Michael Jackson and Lionel Ritchie took it to another level, altogether. Gerald Alston had some good solo stuff but his Manhattans work will always be his best. Same with Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin, IMO. And I won't even mention YKW. Everybody's going to have an opinion on her.
https://www.bear-family.com/media/image/thumbnail/0501095381195a99488c67861_720x600.jpg

midnightman
07-28-2018, 02:51 PM
Yes, i am well aware of that. I never implied otherwise. We are discussing Bobby Brown here not Whitney.

Exactly and as for how Whitney wasn't perfect, yeah, even Whitney admitted it.

Bobby's mother was a drug dealer.
Bobby's father was allegedly a rapist and child abuser.
Bobby joined a gang at age eight. Got shot at nine.
According to the NE biopic, got arrested for drug use and MCA had to keep Bobby from being given a sentence.

Bobby wasn't innocent either and even the a$$ would admit that. Also he was doing coke before he met Whitney in February '89.

Bobby HIMSELF was a "problem child" and the trailer itself SHOWED IT.

Jerry Oz
07-28-2018, 09:53 PM
Maybe the movie will be therapeutic for him.

Bluebrock
07-29-2018, 03:07 AM
Yeah well, Michael's public behavior could be attributed to his father, Mr. Joseph Jackson, but many people like to slam him! Bobby Brown did not have a father constant in his life [[to my knowledge) and definitely not one that was as determined as Joe Jackson to make him a star. Bobby Brown made himself a star! He willed it! He is truly amazing if you believe the bullshit I just read on here! For a person with ZERO talent, he became the biggest male R&B artist during the 1988-90 time period! LOL!!! That is not an easy fete!
So you honestly think that Bobby Brown is a talented vocalist do you? Next you will be telling me that Janet Jackson is a talented vocalist.......

jsmith
07-29-2018, 04:46 AM
Have to agree with BLUEBROCK ... neither Bobby B or Janet J could sing for coffee ... both were at a level [[vocally) where just being a group backing vocalist should have been their limit.

soulster
07-29-2018, 06:31 PM
Exactly and as for how Whitney wasn't perfect, yeah, even Whitney admitted it.

Bobby's mother was a drug dealer.
Bobby's father was allegedly a rapist and child abuser.
Bobby joined a gang at age eight. Got shot at nine.
According to the NE biopic, got arrested for drug use and MCA had to keep Bobby from being given a sentence.

Bobby wasn't innocent either and even the a$$ would admit that. Also he was doing coke before he met Whitney in February '89.

Bobby HIMSELF was a "problem child" and the trailer itself SHOWED IT.

Not everyone was born into such a great life. I'm sure that if you had grown up under such circumstances, you'd have been a 'problem child" too.

Jerry Oz
07-29-2018, 08:43 PM
Have to agree with BLUEBROCK ... neither Bobby B or Janet J could sing for coffee ... both were at a level [[vocally) where just being a group backing vocalist should have been their limit.No disrespect to either. But in the immortal words of my late cousin Alonso [[referring to me, of course), if Bobby Brown was singing for dog shit, he'd be two turds in the hole. And Janet took three albums before Jam & Lewis could trust her to sing in anything more than a whisper. I say these things as fans of both singers [[more a Janet fan than a Bobby fan because of Jam & Lewis).

midnightman
07-29-2018, 09:18 PM
Janet had the songs, the style, the pop appeal AND the moves. In other words, she was the complete package whereas Bobby...wasn't.

Janet's last album was great though. She actually sang on that record but I'm a biased fan, I love ALL of her post-84 recordings.

marv2
07-29-2018, 10:01 PM
Janet had the songs, the style, the pop appeal AND the moves. In other words, she was the complete package whereas Bobby...wasn't.

Janet's last album was great though. She actually sang on that record but I'm a biased fan, I love ALL of her post-84 recordings.

You sure are biased because Bobby Brown could out dance Janet Jackson anyday. Bobby didn't do that "military" regimented style of dancing Janet did with her dancers.

marv2
07-29-2018, 10:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7_kcwEorM

marv2
07-29-2018, 10:05 PM
Here's an even better example....boy's bad! LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYvat0np5FI

marv2
07-29-2018, 10:12 PM
and my all time favorite Bobby Brown performance.........hehehehehehe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMFI-8CIu6E

Jerry Oz
07-30-2018, 01:17 AM
I remember seeing a Bobby Brown show in the '80s. He was the headliner although I preferred other acts on the lineup [[Brick, Michael Henderson, Zapp). Brown put on a good show but I left dissatisfied because he only performed for about 30-40 minutes and didn't even sing all of the songs on his album that I liked. I know he only had two records up until that point, but if he was on top of a card of seasoned musical vets, I'd have appreciated him taking the show over the top. Of course, nobody can really do that following a Roger Troutman show but still...

With that said, back then he definitely had energy and the crowd got into it. In my personal opinion, he got off to a great start so early in his career and didn't build on it. I couldn't care much less about the drama off the stage because we all have drama and none of us should cast rocks.

That's not an excuse for being a prick and judged by your actions, though. If I had first hand experience with him like Bluebrock, I'd feel exactly the same way.

marv2
07-30-2018, 11:16 AM
I remember seeing a Bobby Brown show in the '80s. He was the headliner although I preferred other acts on the lineup [[Brick, Michael Henderson, Zapp). Brown put on a good show but I left dissatisfied because he only performed for about 30-40 minutes and didn't even sing all of the songs on his album that I liked. I know he only had two records up until that point, but if he was on top of a card of seasoned musical vets, I'd have appreciated him taking the show over the top. Of course, nobody can really do that following a Roger Troutman show but still...

With that said, back then he definitely had energy and the crowd got into it. In my personal opinion, he got off to a great start so early in his career and didn't build on it. I couldn't care much less about the drama off the stage because we all have drama and none of us should cast rocks.

That's not an excuse for being a prick and judged by your actions, though. If I had first hand experience with him like Bluebrock, I'd feel exactly the same way.

I agree Jerry and there is an interview where Bobby complains that he was only given 25 mins for his segment of a concert when he wanted more time to entertain "the people". He love being onstage. I look past all the drama because living in Boston, I got a first hand look at how he and the other members of New Edition came up. ROUGH! Similar to Detroit, Philly, Chicago and NYC! For him to come out of that and make a name for himself is commendable in my opinion. I know people like him, that's another reason why I cannot judge his person life and habits too harshly. His job was to entertain and that is what he did and he did it well!

midnightman
07-30-2018, 03:16 PM
You sure are biased because Bobby Brown could out dance Janet Jackson anyday. Bobby didn't do that "military" regimented style of dancing Janet did with her dancers.

Lol I didn't mention that Janet danced better than Bobby. ;)

marv2
07-30-2018, 05:12 PM
Lol I didn't mention that Janet danced better than Bobby. ;)

I was going to say, please don't tell me you believe that. LOL! Why are we talking about Janet Jackson in this thread anyway?

Jerry Oz
07-30-2018, 05:39 PM
I was going to say, please don't tell me you believe that. LOL! Why are we talking about Janet Jackson in this thread anyway?LOL. I think I brought her up as someone, who like Bobby Brown, owed a lot to her producers. There were better singers who never benefited from great songs like Janet and Bobby did. With that said, the "better" singers would have sounded like crap singing "Don't Be Cruel" and "Nasty Boys", so it's unfair for me to suggest that they had no talent.

midnightman
07-30-2018, 05:41 PM
I was going to say, please don't tell me you believe that. LOL! Why are we talking about Janet Jackson in this thread anyway?

Janet was mentioned because she's hinted at being in this Bobby biopic and it took on from there.

And Jerry brought her up as a comparison to Bobby as how they were being produced.

midnightman
07-30-2018, 05:43 PM
LOL. I think I brought her up as someone, who like Bobby Brown, owed a lot to her producers. There were better singers who never benefited from great songs like Janet and Bobby did. With that said, the "better" singers would have sounded like crap singing "Don't Be Cruel" and "Nasty Boys", so it's unfair for me to suggest that they had no talent.

Oh Bobby had talent. And the drive.

But he also was self-destructive. His ego [[and crimes) overshadowed his talent and he really has no one to blame but himself for that.

He still ain't take no blame in why his marriage to Whitney didn't work, STILL saying Whitney didn't call the cops on him when it was obvious she did!

soulster
07-30-2018, 05:43 PM
I look past all the drama because living in Boston, I got a first hand look at how he and the other members of New Edition came up. ROUGH! Similar to Detroit, Philly, Chicago and NYC! For him to come out of that and make a name for himself is commendable in my opinion. I know people like him, that's another reason why I cannot judge his person life and habits too harshly. His job was to entertain and that is what he did and he did it well!

Soooooo...having said that, what do you think of R. Kelly?:)

midnightman
07-30-2018, 05:47 PM
I agree Jerry and there is an interview where Bobby complains that he was only given 25 mins for his segment of a concert when he wanted more time to entertain "the people". He love being onstage. I look past all the drama because living in Boston, I got a first hand look at how he and the other members of New Edition came up. ROUGH! Similar to Detroit, Philly, Chicago and NYC! For him to come out of that and make a name for himself is commendable in my opinion. I know people like him, that's another reason why I cannot judge his person life and habits too harshly. His job was to entertain and that is what he did and he did it well!

Teddy Pendergrass grew up in a rough area of North Philly. He didn't do nearly half the stuff Bobby did but that may be because he was raised in a God-fearing Christian household. That would make a difference between how he turned out and how Bobby who grew up in Roxbury turned out. Think his parents were religious too but they were too lenient on their kids. Would explain a lot.

marv2
07-30-2018, 06:03 PM
LOL. I think I brought her up as someone, who like Bobby Brown, owed a lot to her producers. There were better singers who never benefited from great songs like Janet and Bobby did. With that said, the "better" singers would have sounded like crap singing "Don't Be Cruel" and "Nasty Boys", so it's unfair for me to suggest that they had no talent.

Could we add Paula Abdul to that group with Janet and Bobby? LOL!

marv2
07-30-2018, 06:07 PM
Teddy Pendergrass grew up in a rough area of North Philly. He didn't do nearly half the stuff Bobby did but that may be because he was raised in a God-fearing Christian household. That would make a difference between how he turned out and how Bobby who grew up in Roxbury turned out. Think his parents were religious too but they were too lenient on their kids. Would explain a lot.

I know, I use to live Philly. Teddy took my friend Beverly to her senior prom in 1967. Yeah, Teddy was a mama's boy, a church boy when he was a kid. He got into things as he got older....we all did. I don't recall hearing that Bobby Brown's parents were that religious, I do know from meeting people when I lived in Boston that knew Bobby and the guys that they were partially raised by the streets! One night while I was still living there, Bobby and his soon to be brother in law were at the bar Barritz [[sp?). They got involved in a fight and a shoot out ensued. The brother in law was killed!

midnightman
07-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Could we add Paula Abdul to that group with Janet and Bobby? LOL!

Paula is way worse lmao

In the Whitney docu, she called Paula out lol

"She is singing off key, on the record..." LOL

midnightman
07-30-2018, 06:28 PM
I know, I use to live Philly. Teddy took my friend Beverly to her senior prom in 1967. Yeah, Teddy was a mama's boy, a church boy when he was a kid. He got into things as he got older....we all did. I don't recall hearing that Bobby Brown's parents were that religious, I do know from meeting people when I lived in Boston that knew Bobby and the guys that they were partially raised by the streets! One night while I was still living there, Bobby and his soon to be brother in law were at the bar Barritz [[sp?). They got involved in a fight and a shoot out ensued. The brother in law was killed!

Well Whitney mentioned his parents went to church saying they were as God-fearing as her parents. LOL

I think she was only saying that so people can stop acting like they were so different but truth was there were subtle differences. Some members of Whitney's family were PROFESSIONAL gospel singers and Bobby's family as you mentioned, ran the streets. BIG difference lol

Jerry Oz
07-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Paula is way worse lmao

"She is singing off key, on the record..." LOLDidn't LaFace get sued by a backup singer who said that she sang the lead vocals on the album over Abdul? If I recall correctly, it was one of Rick James' Mary Jane Girls. To date, nobody has taken credit for singing any of Bobby's songs, so there's that. LOL.

sansradio
07-30-2018, 08:44 PM
Didn't LaFace get sued by a backup singer who said that she sang the lead vocals on the album over Abdul? If I recall correctly, it was one of Rick James' Mary Jane Girls. To date, nobody has taken credit for singing any of Bobby's songs, so there's that. LOL.

Yessir. It was Yvette Marine [[a/k/a “Corvette”).

midnightman
07-30-2018, 09:11 PM
Didn't LaFace get sued by a backup singer who said that she sang the lead vocals on the album over Abdul? If I recall correctly, it was one of Rick James' Mary Jane Girls. To date, nobody has taken credit for singing any of Bobby's songs, so there's that. LOL.

Yvette Marine, but she lost her suit against Paula.

Some folks claimed Ralph Tresvant took some leads or ad-libs on DBC because Bobby was not always in the studio.

marv2
07-30-2018, 09:12 PM
Paula is way worse lmao

"She is singing off key, on the record..." LOL

How can you sing off key on record? LOL!!!

marv2
07-30-2018, 09:15 PM
Well Whitney mentioned his parents went to church saying they were as God-fearing as her parents. LOL

I think she was only saying that so people can stop acting like they were so different but truth was there were subtle differences. Some members of Whitney's family were PROFESSIONAL gospel singers and Bobby's family as you mentioned, ran the streets. BIG difference lol

I really don't know much about Bobby's family. I do know the area he came up in was rough! I went everywhere around Boston and nothing shocked me, even the very racist South Boston. I remember for 2 solid weeks, I did not see one black person walking anywhere in Downtown Boston and then at the end of the 2nd week, I saw this kid come up out of the MTA with some other kids and he was black. LOL!

marv2
07-30-2018, 09:17 PM

Bobby didn't sound real bad on "Roni" and I don't think on his first one "Girlfriend". Now I have not heard these songs in like 20 years so don't hold me to that. LOL!

I didn't know about the LaFace lawsuit.

marv2
07-30-2018, 09:19 PM
Yessir. It was Yvette Marine [[a/k/a “Corvette”).

Oh, ok Thanks Sansradio.

midnightman
07-30-2018, 09:39 PM
How can you sing off key on record? LOL!!!

That just means you're a terrible vocalist lol

Jerry Oz
07-30-2018, 11:18 PM
Bobby didn't sound real bad on "Roni" and I don't think on his first one "Girlfriend". Now I have not heard these songs in like 20 years so don't hold me to that. LOL!

I didn't know about the LaFace lawsuit."Girlfriend" made my ears weep, Marv. They cried like a colicky child and the left one might have bled a little. I think the label owes me a refund and I didn't even buy the record.

Jerry Oz
07-30-2018, 11:20 PM
How can you sing off key on record? LOL!!!I think she sang the whole record in B#.

soulster
07-31-2018, 03:48 AM

Actually, it wouldn't. Growing up religious , and leniency on your kids is not a factor. In fact, the opposite may be more true because children rebel. Back when I was a kid, the worst kids had parents who were ministers and law enforcement.

marv2
07-31-2018, 08:14 AM
"Girlfriend" made my ears weep, Marv. They cried like a colicky child and the left one might have bled a little. I think the label owes me a refund and I didn't even buy the record.

Wow! LOL!!!!!! I promise you I couldn't remember what it sounded like. LOL!

marv2
07-31-2018, 08:16 AM
I think she sang the whole record in B#.

Darn! Are there any dancers that can sing just as well?

marv2
07-31-2018, 08:19 AM
Actually, it wouldn't. Growing up religious , and leniency on your kids is not a factor. In fact, the opposite may be more true because children rebel. Back when I was a kid, the worst kids had parents who were ministers and law enforcement.

Now that's true. Remember "the son of a preacher man" LOL!

marv2
07-31-2018, 02:52 PM
So you honestly think that Bobby Brown is a talented vocalist do you? Next you will be telling me that Janet Jackson is a talented vocalist.......

I want you to show ME anywhere in any of my posts where I said that Bobby Brown was a talented vocalist. You need to stop lying. Why are you lying? What point are you attempting to make with your feeble lies on me? I do not like liars or people that put lies in others mouths or attribute what they know to be a lie to someone else. Just stop with the lies now! Stick to something I've said if you are so Hell bent on picking a fight with me.

I am waiting. What is taking you so long to point out where I said that Bobby Brown is a talented vocalist. You know you are lying.

Jerry Oz
07-31-2018, 04:54 PM
Darn! Are there any dancers that can sing just as well?She could dance. A great dancer and choreographer. I always thought it funny that she was a judge on "American Idol". Say what you will about Bobby, Paula or Janet as singers, they all were great performers. With that said, I'm 100% most singers who jump around and put on high energy shows do so with backing vocal tracks, which I abhor. Dancing while singing in the same even voice while sucking in huge breaths, is nearly impossible. If I want to see my favorite artist lip sync, I'll watch the video. I can tell you that Bobby Brown didn't do that at the show I attended. I'm pretty sure Janet augments her shows and I know that Paula Abdul used to.

Jerry Oz
07-31-2018, 04:57 PM
I want you to show ME anywhere in any of my posts where I said that Bobby Brown was a talented vocalist. You need to stop lying. Why are you lying? What point are you attempting to make with your feeble lies on me? I do not like liars or people that put lies in others mouths or attribute what they know to be a lie to someone else. Just stop with the lies now! Stick to something I've said if you are so Hell bent on picking a fight with me.

I am waiting. What is taking you so long to point out where I said that Bobby Brown is a talented vocalist. You know you are lying.I don't recall you saying it, Marv. Maybe he confused you with me when I said that although there were better vocalists who couldn't find a hit, I don't think the greatest hits from Janet or Bobby would have been as good if someone like Johnny Gill or Celine Dion sang them. They may not have been fantastic vocalists but they made the most of their opportunities.

midnightman
07-31-2018, 06:40 PM
Anyway back to Bobby...

Seems like the domestic violence claim against Whitney will continue to be a cloud against him:
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/bobby-brown-domestic-violence-shelter-bobbi-kristina-serenity-house-whitney-houston-a8471336.html

Also he can deny that Whitney called because Bobby hit her because she stopped short but she DID file spousal abuse claims against him at that time so it's in the record!!! Also HE turned himself in for misdemeanor battery.

If he has really changed as he said, he'd admit that he did wrong to Whitney. He can't even admit THAT!

Also Whitney told the world that Bobby spit at her and slapped her. He gonna deny that of course.

If the film shows him being abusive to Whitney, then this fool is stupider than I thought.

marv2
07-31-2018, 07:21 PM
I don't recall you saying it, Marv. Maybe he confused you with me when I said that although there were better vocalists who couldn't find a hit, I don't think the greatest hits from Janet or Bobby would have been as good if someone like Johnny Gill or Celine Dion sang them. They may not have been fantastic vocalists but they made the most of their opportunities.

Jerry, that's because I've never said that! Uh uh, he did not confuse me with anyone. He has a history with trying to pick fights with me on here for some reason and I am getting very tired of it. I said that Bobby is very talented. He is an overall entertainer. He's even done some acting in a film with Martin Lawrence [[I can't remember the name of the movie at the moment). Bobby also raps at times in his music and his dancing is natural looking. I think some people have a "problem" with his perceived "thug" image [[you know where I am going with this.......) that may or may not actually exist.

I think because he did not come off prim and proper and was unapologetic about what he knew he could do. People did the same thing to Rick James when he first surfaced. There are a ton of huge Rock and Roll stars [[Bob Dylan anyone?) that can't sing shit! They sound like shit whenever I listen to Hard Rock artists trying to sing. They just sound like they are screaming to me. I know Bobby Brown can't do what Howard Hewitt does, but on the other hand, Howard could not do what Bobby did. I could name 3 dozen Rock stars that cannot sing even a little bit!

marv2
07-31-2018, 07:38 PM
Anyway back to Bobby...

Seems like the domestic violence claim against Whitney will continue to be a cloud against him:
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/bobby-brown-domestic-violence-shelter-bobbi-kristina-serenity-house-whitney-houston-a8471336.html

Also he can deny that Whitney called because Bobby hit her because she stopped short but she DID file spousal abuse claims against him at that time so it's in the record!!! Also HE turned himself in for misdemeanor battery.

If he has really changed as he said, he'd admit that he did wrong to Whitney. He can't even admit THAT!

Also Whitney told the world that Bobby spit at her and slapped her. He gonna deny that of course.

If the film shows him being abusive to Whitney, then this fool is stupider than I thought.

Look, I know you're young, but let me explain something about the World to you. NO MAN has to admit or explain anything to the public about what went on in his home between him and his wife! We don't know what part Whitney played in all that drama either. Bobby has a new wife that is good looking and intelligent from the interviews I've seen, along with a new family of kids. I really don't care too much at all about what he and Whitney got up to when they were married. Everybody in this country of hypocrites always want to jump on the man, which why we now have this "Me Too" situation. Leave it alone.

Jerry Oz
07-31-2018, 08:31 PM
Jerry, that's because I've never said that! Uh uh, he did not confuse me with anyone. He has a history with trying to pick fights with me on here for some reason and I am getting very tired of it. I said that Bobby is very talented. He is an overall entertainer. He's even done some acting in a film with Martin Lawrence [[I can't remember the name of the movie at the moment). Bobby also raps at times in his music and his dancing is natural looking. I think some people have a "problem" with his perceived "thug" image [[you know where I am going with this.......) that may or may not actually exist.

I think because he did not come off prime and proper and unapologetic about what he knew he could do. People did the same thing to Rick James when he first surfaced. There are a ton of huge Rock and Rock stars [[Bob Dylan anyone?) that can't sing shit! They sound like shit whenever I listen to Hard Rock artists trying to sing. They just sound like they are screaming to me. I know Bobby Brown can't do what Howard Hewitt does, but on the other hand, Howard could not do what Bobby did. I could name 3 dozen Rock stars that cannot sing even a little bit!There are 10 mediocre-to-awful popular singers for every Luther Vandross out there. Very few artists can go from beautiful ballads to great dance cuts like a Johnnie Wilder, Jr. With that being said, a great producer can make a great artist by handling him or her the right way. So Bobby may not win a blind audition on "The Voice". So what? He sold records because people appreciated what he did, which was plenty. As I said before, my only problem [[which is MY problem) with him is I wish that someone who ascended so fast and so soon could have had a longer and more successful career. God bless that brother for who and what he is, though. Which is no better or worse than any of us.

marv2
07-31-2018, 09:24 PM
There are 10 mediocre-to-awful popular singers for every Luther Vandross out there. Very few artists can go from beautiful ballads to great dance cuts like a Johnnie Wilder, Jr. With that being said, a great producer can make a great artist by handling him or her the right way. So Bobby may not win a blind audition on "The Voice". So what? He sold records because people appreciated what he did, which was plenty. As I said before, my only problem [[which is MY problem) with him is I wish that someone who ascended so fast and so soon could have had a longer and more successful career. God bless that brother for who and what he is, though. Which is no better or worse than any of us.

Jerry I agree 1000%! Bobby [[and some others) were like tools [[as in instruments) for their producers. This is what went on often in the 60s with producers like Phil Spector, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Teddy Randazzo and many more. They took kids off of the streets and created hit records using what could be considered their modest talents. Even the early Beatles. None of them were great singers or musicians, but the producer more than helped create a sound for them that would be popular with the masses. How many times have you seen artists that once scored huge hits only to hit rock bottom once they changed labels and producers. Smokey created magic with Mary Wells. She was not a stellar singer, but she could do more than carry a tune and Smokey wrote and produced around her abilities.

I too wished Bobby could extended his thing a bit longer. I think he started to lapse once he married Whitney. He went out on the road with her instead of being in the studio working on his own music.

marv2
07-31-2018, 09:25 PM
I wanted to add. Look at what Prince was able to do with Vanity and Apollonia! Perfect examples of the producer working magic.

marv2
07-31-2018, 09:31 PM
God bless that brother for who and what he is, though. Which is no better or worse than any of us.

That's it! That is all! Nuff said!

Roberta75
07-31-2018, 10:13 PM
Look, I know you're young, but let me explain something about the World to you. NO MAN has to admit or explain anything to the public about what went on in his home between him and his wife! We don't know what part Whitney played in all that drama either. Bobby has a new wife that is good looking and intelligent from the interviews I've seen, along with a new family of kids. I really don't care too much at all about what he and Whitney got up to when they were married. Everybody in this country of hypocrites always want to jump on the man, which why we now have this "Me Too" situation. Leave it alone.

You have absolutely no idea about the very important "Me Too" movement and how it is empowering ABUSED women to come forward and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Why would you? You defend and condone Ike Turner and Cosby and Pedro Ferrer and Bobby Brown. That is all! Nuff said!

Jerry Oz
08-01-2018, 01:35 AM
I wanted to add. Look at what Prince was able to do with Vanity and Apollonia! Perfect examples of the producer working magic.Yep. Just a side note on Jamie Starr's productions is that I heard that Prince and Morris Day did almost all the songs on the Time's first LP. But it's amazing that their second record is my favorite soul/funk/R&B album from the '80s. But they were clearly the exception and not the rule.

Hmm... Now that I think about it, New Edition blossomed after leaving Maurice Starr [[no relation, LOL). There might be a good thread that can explore performers who left their labels/producers and wound up being better.

midnightman
08-01-2018, 02:21 AM
Got nothing to do with being young.

Wrong is wrong.

All I'm saying is Bobby lied a whole lot. And for that, he should be judged. You don't agree? Okay, but don't take it that "that's just the way things were or are".

That's how many abuse victims don't talk about their abuse because of those type of comments.

That's all.

Bluebrock
08-01-2018, 03:04 AM

I am waiting. What is taking you so long to point out where I said that Bobby Brown is a talented vocalist. You know you are lying.
You need to calm yourself down. If you read my post properly you would see that i asked you a question which was "so you honestly think that Bobby Brown is a talented vocalist do you"? Where exactly am i lying? You still haven't answered that question. Instead you are behaving as usual like a spoiled child who starts crying when he doesn't always get his own way. You appear hell bent on picking a fight with me. It would appear that i get under your skin which pleases me immensely. I must be doing something right. Why you are getting so angry over someone as insignificant as Bobby Brown is something only you can answer. I suggest you calm down before you say something you may come to regret. Life is too short to be so bitter and angry, but if you wish to carry on with the aggressive attitude then be my guest. It does amuse me and i do enjoy laughing at your pathetic rants, but you are really doing your long term health no good whatsoever with this attitude.

marv2
08-01-2018, 09:34 AM
Got nothing to do with being young.

Wrong is wrong.

All I'm saying is Bobby lied a whole lot. And for that, he should be judged. You don't agree? Okay, but don't take it that "that's just the way things were or are".

That's how many abuse victims don't talk about their abuse because of those type of comments.

That's all.

Ever hear the phrase "T'aint nobody's bizness if I do"? I do not agree that he be judged by anyone but God. It is ok to make an observation, but I draw the line when the individual engaged in questionable behavior in his personal life vs his public life. It would concern me more if Bobby Brown had a reputation of being mean and mistreating people in general. His personal business is his business!

marv2
08-01-2018, 09:35 AM
Yep. Just a side note on Jamie Starr's productions is that I heard that Prince and Morris Day did almost all the songs on the Time's first LP. But it's amazing that their second record is my favorite soul/funk/R&B album from the '80s. But they were clearly the exception and not the rule.

Hmm... Now that I think about it, New Edition blossomed after leaving Maurice Starr [[no relation, LOL). There might be a good thread that can explore performers who left their labels/producers and wound up being better.

I remember that and also the fact that Prince played on the instruments and sang all the parts on his first couple of albums. Also regarding Maurice Starr, didn't he go on to manage New Kids on the Block after New Edition left?

RanRan79
08-01-2018, 09:46 AM
So much Bobby hate. Lol Wow. I'll be watching the movie. The NE movie was surprisingly well done, so I'll give this one a chance.

midnightman
08-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Hating means jealousy. What's there to hate about Bobby? LOL

Y'all do the most because he was in New Edition. As Jerry said, he was the WEAKEST LINK in New Edition lmao [[and I don't mean in terms of success either)

ralpht
08-01-2018, 12:17 PM
All this strife over Bobby Brown? Give me a break.

midnightman
08-01-2018, 01:24 PM
^

LMAO!!!

I mean they can't accept an opinion. XD

Oh well. :)

marv2
08-01-2018, 01:35 PM
All this strife over Bobby Brown? Give me a break.

Ok Ralph, now that does sound funny hehehehehehehe!

marv2
08-01-2018, 01:41 PM
Here is an updated video on Bobby Brown uploaded 3 days ago. His daughter is making this public:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpWdsDqmZ2I

Jerry Oz
08-01-2018, 07:29 PM
I remember that and also the fact that Prince played on the instruments and sang all the parts on his first couple of albums. Also regarding Maurice Starr, didn't he go on to manage New Kids on the Block after New Edition left?I think he did. He tried to sue the members of New Edition to keep the name after they dropped him. He told the courts that he conceived the group to be like an R&B version of Menudo; a group with constantly rotating members but keeping the same name. You see how that turned out. Now, it's ironic that Ralph and Johnny jumped on the name trademark and are shutting their former bandmates out. ..Isn't that the same problem with En Vogue? Same story, actually with a production team creating an urban music concept, finding new faces and voices to take the spots, the band splitting up and then former members fighting over who gets to use the name. The music industry is a meat grinder.

RanRan79
08-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Hating means jealousy. What's there to hate about Bobby? LOL

Y'all do the most because he was in New Edition. As Jerry said, he was the WEAKEST LINK in New Edition lmao [[and I don't mean in terms of success either)

I'm not talking hate in the slang sense, I'm talking of it in it's original definition. Lol And no disrespect to Jerry, but he has an opinion just like everyone else. I personally don't think he was the weak link in NE. Not at all.

marv2
08-01-2018, 09:51 PM
I think he did. He tried to sue the members of New Edition to keep the name after they dropped him. He told the courts that he conceived the group to be like an R&B version of Menudo; a group with constantly rotating members but keeping the same name. You see how that turned out. Now, it's ironic that Ralph and Johnny jumped on the name trademark and are shutting their former bandmates out. ..Isn't that the same problem with En Vogue? Same story, actually with a production team creating an urban music concept, finding new faces and voices to take the spots, the band splitting up and then former members fighting over who gets to use the name. The music industry is a meat grinder.

The fighting over a groups' name goes back much further than En Vogue. The Shirelles went through that with Beverly Lee coming out the winner years and years ago. If Ralph and Johnny are doing this, to me it spells the official end to New Edition. There will be hard feelings and they will last for a very long time........

Jerry Oz
08-01-2018, 11:56 PM
The other four members thought that they had agreed to a reunion tour but Ralph and Johnny pulled out and took the name with them. Now, the Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky and Mike will go on tour as RBRM which is short for... Ronnie Bobby Ricky and Mike. This is as bad as Charlie Wilson telling his brother Robert that he couldn't use the name Gap Band even though Charlie is no longer involved with the Gap Band.

midnightman
08-01-2018, 11:59 PM
I think he did. He tried to sue the members of New Edition to keep the name after they dropped him. He told the courts that he conceived the group to be like an R&B version of Menudo; a group with constantly rotating members but keeping the same name. You see how that turned out. Now, it's ironic that Ralph and Johnny jumped on the name trademark and are shutting their former bandmates out. ..Isn't that the same problem with En Vogue? Same story, actually with a production team creating an urban music concept, finding new faces and voices to take the spots, the band splitting up and then former members fighting over who gets to use the name. The music industry is a meat grinder.

I hear rumors that BBD blame Johnny for this. When Ralph had his 50th birthday this May, each member of NE except for Bobby [[last I checked) gave him a bday shoutout. Bobby still got issues with any member give or take [[may be with Johnny; he actually did like a few posts from Ralph's IG while this drama continues; it's a mess). They either can't stand each other's guts or they love too hard.

I honestly can't understand at this juncture why Bobby is even still performing in either set. All he does is stand there and talk-sings while dancers back him since he can't do it anymore even WITH the weight loss. He'll be 50 next year.

But right now with Bobby's mess in the news, NE is gonna have a harder time to climb. And if Bobby's movie actually bashes his NE mates, it's gonna be awkward being in the dressing room with Bobby, Ronnie, Mike and Ricky.

marv2
08-02-2018, 01:14 AM
The other four members thought that they had agreed to a reunion tour but Ralph and Johnny pulled out and took the name with them. Now, the Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky and Mike will go on tour as RBRM which is short for... Ronnie Bobby Ricky and Mike. This is as bad as Charlie Wilson telling his brother Robert that he couldn't use the name Gap Band even though Charlie is no longer involved with the Gap Band.

Again, all this is hardly new. For instance, there is current 2 Dramatics group, Willie Ford's group and LJ Reynold's group. There was for a time two competing Contours groups. You also have "Martha Reeves & The Vandellas and "The Original Vandellas" out there. There were tons of Temptations like groups each one headed by a former Temptation. This situation also goes back to all of those Drifters, Coasters and Platters groups that were all out there performing all over the place at the same time. You even had a group called "The Drifting Coasters" or something like that. LOL! The Manhattans split into two groups before several of the original members passed away. Jody Whatley current has her own "Shalamar" group out there and Howard and Jeffrey Daniels tour with Dick Griffey's daughter. Jody and Howard absolutely hate one another. There are many other instances where the original group breaks up and people fight over the name, etc.

marybrewster
08-02-2018, 03:39 AM
Did this preview refer to BB as the "King of R & B"? I thought that was R. Kelly.

Jerry Oz
08-02-2018, 04:18 AM
Did this preview refer to BB as the "King of R & B"? I thought that was R. Kelly.R. Kelly? You're confusing him with the "King of R & Pee".

sansradio
08-02-2018, 04:19 AM
R. Kelly? You're confusing him with the "King of R & Pee".

#DEAD

I always thought the rightful King of R&B was Solomon Burke, myself.

midnightman
08-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Did this preview refer to BB as the "King of R & B"? I thought that was R. Kelly.

The king of R&B, in the time of Bobby, was Luther Vandross.

Whitney was the one who gave him that title. That became a running joke too. Adele Givens was the one who originated the "king of rocks and blunts" title for Bobby.

She said Whitney was "on them oodles of noodles" for saying Bobby was "the original R&B king" and said "is Bobby Womack in the house or something?" And then said, "how can you call Bobby Brown the ORIGINAL R&B king? Now if you meant 'rocks and blunts', then yeah you have a point."

midnightman
08-02-2018, 12:11 PM
#DEAD

I always thought the rightful King of R&B was Solomon Burke, myself.

In terms of who you talk to, it's either him, Ray Charles, James Brown, Otis Redding or Marvin. :)

marv2
08-02-2018, 08:21 PM
R. Kelly? You're confusing him with the "King of R & Pee".

Now that is TOO cold! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marv2
08-02-2018, 08:22 PM
In terms of who you talk to, it's either him, Ray Charles, James Brown, Otis Redding or Marvin. :)

I think it depends on the era.

Jerry Oz
08-02-2018, 09:19 PM
I think it depends on the era.I couldn't call it, myself. I'd probably go with Ray Charles as the ORIGINAL king.

midnightman
08-03-2018, 12:09 AM
Ray also had Sam Cooke and Jackie Wilson to contend with the original R&B king title lol

But yeah he would fit that title.

marv2
08-03-2018, 12:54 AM
I couldn't call it, myself. I'd probably go with Ray Charles as the ORIGINAL king.

I always think of Ray Charles as "The Father of R&B".

RanRan79
08-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Ray Charles is definitely a front runner. I'd add Marvin Gaye also, Luther as well. Scandal aside, R Kelly definitely has a case for it. Bobby Brown shouldn't even be in the conversation.

midnightman
08-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Ray Charles is definitely a front runner. I'd add Marvin Gaye also, Luther as well. Scandal aside, R Kelly definitely has a case for it. Bobby Brown shouldn't even be in the conversation.

In terms of eras:

'50s [[Ray Charles or Sam Cooke)
'60s [[James Brown, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Solomon Burke, Marvin)
'70s [[Marvin, Stevie, Al Green, Barry White, Teddy Pendergrass)
'80s [[Luther, Freddie Jackson)
'90s [[Luther, R & Pee)

Bobby only had one smash album [[Don't Be Cruel) and it's seen mainly as a new jack swing album with SOME pop and R&B in it. That's not enough to be [in my best Whitney voice] "the original R&B KINNNNG-NUH" [[lol; that's how she said it if you hear it right hahaha; I miss you Whitney).

The follow-up only had Humpin' Around, Getaway and Good Enough [[which was only successful on the R&B side) and that was only because R&B again was going through a transition from pop-inflected new jack swing to a much harsher, darker R&B sound that was to be dominated by Mary J. Blige. So Bobby's time was over in 1992-93.

Jerry Oz
08-03-2018, 02:45 PM
LOL. Interesting discussion regarding "king of R&B". Given the fact that kings have successors, I'd suggest that Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Jackie Wilson et.al are all "kings of R&B". Whitney did say "original king", though. That's why I went with Ray. I still chuckle when I think of Bobby Brown being the original king of R&B, though. Cocaine is a hell of a drug, Whitney.

midnightman
08-03-2018, 05:30 PM
LOL. Interesting discussion regarding "king of R&B". Given the fact that kings have successors, I'd suggest that Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Jackie Wilson et.al are all "kings of R&B". Whitney did say "original king", though. That's why I went with Ray. I still chuckle when I think of Bobby Brown being the original king of R&B, though. Cocaine is a hell of a drug, Whitney.

According to a L.A. Times music critic, Whitney also said he was the king of hip-hop. LOL

That woman spent years trying to make Bobby feel like something. We all saw how Bobby repaid her.

She knew it was BS but said it anyway.

marv2
08-03-2018, 05:42 PM

I am guessing that she used that term because there had never been a officially proclaimed "King of R&B", unlike when James Brown was known as the "King of Soul" in the sixties.

Jerry Oz
08-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Well, Liz Taylor called Michael Jackson the "King of Pop, Rock and Soul" but he got tagged with the worst moniker in music, the "King of Pop". I have always hated that title.

midnightman
08-04-2018, 12:18 AM
I still refer to MJ as "The Gloved One" or "The King" period.

Bluebrock
08-04-2018, 03:04 AM
In terms of eras:

'50s [[Ray Charles or Sam Cooke)
'60s [[James Brown, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Solomon Burke, Marvin)
'70s [[Marvin, Stevie, Barry White, Teddy Pendergrass)
'80s [[Luther, Freddie Jackson, Keith Sweat)
'90s [[Luther, R & Pee)

Bobby only had one smash album [[Don't Be Cruel) and it's seen mainly as a new jack swing album with SOME pop and R&B in it. That's not enough to be [in my best Whitney voice] "the original R&B KINNNNG-NUH" [[lol; that's how she said it if you hear it right hahaha; I miss you Whitney).

The follow-up only had Humpin' Around, Getaway and Good Enough [[which was only successful on the R&B side) and that was only because R&B again was going through a transition from pop-inflected new jack swing to a much harsher, darker R&B sound that was to be dominated by Mary J. Blige. So Bobby's time was over in 1992-93.
I would add Al Green to the 70's list. He was quite magnificent, and i would delete Keith Sweat from the 80's.

midnightman
08-04-2018, 11:27 AM
I would add Al Green to the 70's list. He was quite magnificent, and i would delete Keith Sweat from the 80's.

UGH I forgot Al!!! -_-

Yeah I thought about the Keith inclusion... seems unfair when Luther and Freddie had that down pat.

marv2
08-04-2018, 01:17 PM
Well, Liz Taylor called Michael Jackson the "King of Pop, Rock and Soul" but he got tagged with the worst moniker in music, the "King of Pop". I have always hated that title.

I didn't like that title either. King of the Charts probably wouldn't have worked either.

marv2
08-04-2018, 01:18 PM
I still refer to MJ as "The Gloved One" or "The King" period.

I think Elvis' fans refer to him as "The King".

marv2
08-04-2018, 01:19 PM
UGH I forgot Al!!! -_-

Yeah I thought about the Keith inclusion... seems unfair when Luther and Freddie had that down pat.

Howard Hewitt was one of the best male singers out in the 80s.

Jerry Oz
08-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Howard Hewitt was one of the best male singers out in the 80s.I'd put Luther over all from the time "Never Too Much" came out until his death. The only male singer I'd put on par with him would be Al Jarreau, who was more of a jazz artist. I used to love Howard Hewitt and James Ingram back then.

marv2
08-04-2018, 01:42 PM
I'd put Luther over all from the time "Never Too Much" came out until his death. The only male singer I'd put on par with him would be Al Jarreau, who was more of a jazz artist. I used to love Howard Hewitt and James Ingram back then.

You know the best singers came out of Ohio [[and Michigan). I would easily nominate Ron Isley and Levi Stubbs and representative from Ohio and Michigan in the National Best Male R&B Singer in History Contest LOL!!!!

marv2
08-04-2018, 01:43 PM
I'd put Luther over all from the time "Never Too Much" came out until his death. The only male singer I'd put on par with him would be Al Jarreau, who was more of a jazz artist. I used to love Howard Hewitt and James Ingram back then.

James Ingram is from Ohio. I think he is from Akron, so is Howard.

Jerry Oz
08-04-2018, 01:59 PM
You know the best singers came out of Ohio [[and Michigan). I would easily nominate Ron Isley and Levi Stubbs and representative from Ohio and Michigan in the National Best Male R&B Singer in History Contest LOL!!!!Yeah, some really good singers. Don't leave the O'Jays out of that discussion.

marv2
08-04-2018, 02:23 PM

I would have to got back a bit further than that to right around 1975-76 with "This Is For Real".

marv2
08-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Yeah, some really good singers. Don't leave the O'Jays out of that discussion.

Yeah, but if I include them, I'll have to inclued the Ohio Players [[Ohio) and the Temptations [[Michigan)...... hehehehehehehehhe1

midnightman
08-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Yeah, some really good singers. Don't leave the O'Jays out of that discussion.

They were the top soul group of the '70s though lol

Jerry Oz
08-04-2018, 09:48 PM
I would have to got back a bit further than that to right around 1975-76 with "This Is For Real". My uncle came back from Alabama with an album by his group Luther in 1976 of so. We listened to "The Second Time Around" and "A Brand New Day" in their original compositions. When he won the Grammy for Best New Artist two years later, I didn't understand it. I guess regional artists don't qualify for recognition.

Jerry Oz
08-04-2018, 09:51 PM
They were the top soul group of the '70s though lolI know. But Walter White and Eddie Levert hold up with any singers from any age, in my opinion.

marv2
08-04-2018, 09:58 PM
They were the top soul group of the '70s though lol

The Spinners would argue that point with you, but they, the O'Jays were one of the top groups then.

marv2
08-04-2018, 09:59 PM
My uncle came back from Alabama with an album by his group Luther in 1976 of so. We listened to "The Second Time Around" and "A Brand New Day" in their original compositions. When he won the Grammy for Best New Artist two years later, I didn't understand it. I guess regional artists don't qualify for recognition.

Yep! My brother bought his first two albums in 1976 when his group was called "Luther". I too was surprise at how everyone was making out like he was a brand new artist in 1981. He sang the lead on Change's record.

marv2
08-04-2018, 10:01 PM
I know. But Walter White and Eddie Levert hold up with any singers from any age, in my opinion.

Walter Williams and Eddie Levert are ICONS! They came from the Old School and kept it going almost as long as the Four Tops! They still put on a high quality show today after all of these years. I last saw them in 2015.

midnightman
08-04-2018, 11:35 PM
I know. But Walter White and Eddie Levert hold up with any singers from any age, in my opinion.

That's true but we're talking about SOLO SINGERS lol

Jerry Oz
08-04-2018, 11:51 PM
Walter Williams and Eddie Levert are ICONS! They came from the Old School and kept it going almost as long as the Four Tops! They still put on a high quality show today after all of these years. I last saw them in 2015.LOL. Walter White was the protagonist on "Breaking Bad". I must be programmed to type "White" after "Walter"...

midnightman
08-04-2018, 11:58 PM
The O'Jays at this point are a national R&B treasure. Everyone who's a true R&B fan know about the O'Jays, least the two who have been both the hearts and voices of the group [[Eddie and Walter).

And we're veering totally off topic lmao

Jerry Oz
08-04-2018, 11:58 PM
That's true but we're talking about SOLO SINGERS lolTrue, true... And if I suggested that they were the Kings of Soul Group Lead Singers, I'd get my ass kicked around here. Navigating between Eddie, David, Levi, Smokey and Michael on a Soulful Detroit forum would be impossible. And those are just the first-name-only singers from Motown. Toss in Bobby Smith, Gerald Alston and the aforementioned O'Jays and picking the best leads in soul groups would start a fight around here that might never end.

midnightman
08-05-2018, 12:56 PM
True, true... And if I suggested that they were the Kings of Soul Group Lead Singers, I'd get my ass kicked around here. Navigating between Eddie, David, Levi, Smokey and Michael on a Soulful Detroit forum would be impossible. And those are just the first-name-only singers from Motown. Toss in Bobby Smith, Gerald Alston and the aforementioned O'Jays and picking the best leads in soul groups would start a fight around here that might never end.

True! It would be a mess lol

marv2
08-05-2018, 02:22 PM
That's true but we're talking about SOLO SINGERS lol

I never understood why the distinction. A great singer is a great singer period! Most of your "solo singers" sing with background singers and bands, so they are not truly "solo" as they are not usually the only voice we hear on their recordings or in their concerts.

marv2
08-05-2018, 02:24 PM
LOL. Walter White was the protagonist on "Breaking Bad". I must be programmed to type "White" after "Walter"...

I knew who you meant, but it is blasphemous to be from Ohio and not know the correct names of the O'Jays! How could you Jerry? Go to your room now young man! LOL!!!!!

marv2
08-05-2018, 02:28 PM
True, true... And if I suggested that they were the Kings of Soul Group Lead Singers, I'd get my ass kicked around here. Navigating between Eddie, David, Levi, Smokey and Michael on a Soulful Detroit forum would be impossible. And those are just the first-name-only singers from Motown. Toss in Bobby Smith, Gerald Alston and the aforementioned O'Jays and picking the best leads in soul groups would start a fight around here that might never end.

Well, I notice you didn't mention Ron Banks, LJ Reynolds, Marvin Junior, Johnny of the Dells, Russell Thompkins Jr., Peabo Bryson, Jeffrey Osborne, Glen Jones, Barry White, just to name a few. My point is there are and have been an incredible number of excellent male singers whether they were a part of a group or "solo" to really pick a legitimate "King of R&B". What was it they named Rick James?

Jerry Oz
08-05-2018, 03:01 PM
I don't remember Rick James' tag. But only George Clinton and James Brown surpassed him as funk artists. Roger came close. With that said, the other three artists were more influential because other than samples, you can hear their riffs and rhythms in songs still being made but only Rick James had the ability to make his songs the way that he did.

Bluebrock
08-06-2018, 02:54 AM
Howard and James are certainly great singers. I saw Howard in concert here in the UK a couple of months back and he was as magnificent as ever. Al Jarreau was an amazing live performer. I saw him twice and was captivated by how he used that unique voice. A true one off.

marv2
08-06-2018, 11:53 AM
I don't remember Rick James' tag. But only George Clinton and James Brown surpassed him as funk artists. Roger came close. With that said, the other three artists were more influential because other than samples, you can hear their riffs and rhythms in songs still being made but only Rick James had the ability to make his songs the way that he did.

Rick James was called "The King of Punk Funk".

Jerry Oz
08-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Rick James was called "The King of Punk Funk". The reason why I didn't suggest that is because he was the one who have himself that name. He came up with the "punk funk" name for his genre, which he used to refer to his and Prince's music, specifically. "Street Songs" and "Dirty Mind" would be the best examples of it, in my opinion, followed by most of the two-album "1999". By the way, if I was to recognize the genre, Prince would be the king.

midnightman
08-06-2018, 05:09 PM
There was actually a genre for punk funk but they didn't include either Rick or Prince though genre/style wise, Prince would've fit the punk aesthetic than Rick, who was more glam rock by comparison [[glitter, jumpsuits, long hair, etc.). Prince had that entire "rude boy" persona used mainly by punk acts. Rick technically never had any punk influences but he surely had the rock influence down pat. He came of age in the psychedelic rock era of the late '60s. So his style would be more Robert Plant than, say, Joey Ramone or Johnny Rotten [[John Lydon).

Rick did make up that title though but something like Super Freak was more new wave and rock influenced than punk. Other than that, he would've been seen as another disco/funk performer. I imagine he named himself "king of punk funk" because he wanted to have some identity and he got one.

Jerry Oz
08-07-2018, 12:05 AM
There was actually a genre for punk funk but they didn't include either Rick or Prince though genre/style wise, Prince would've fit the punk aesthetic than Rick, who was more glam rock by comparison [[glitter, jumpsuits, long hair, etc.). Prince had that entire "rude boy" persona used mainly by punk acts. Rick technically never had any punk influences but he surely had the rock influence down pat. He came of age in the psychedelic rock era of the late '60s. So his style would be more Robert Plant than, say, Joey Ramone or Johnny Rotten [[John Lydon).

Rick did make up that title though but something like Super Freak was more new wave and rock influenced than punk. Other than that, he would've been seen as another disco/funk performer. I imagine he named himself "king of punk funk" because he wanted to have some identity and he got one.I co-sign to this entire post, MM. Nicely stated.

midnightman
08-07-2018, 04:31 PM
Thanks Jerry. :)