PDA

View Full Version : Billboard November 2017 Article on Diana's Gay Icon Status

test

midnightman
07-19-2018, 12:02 AM
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/7973673/6-ways-diana-ross-earned-gay-icon-status

I feel "I'm Coming Out" is actually pretty underrated despite its iconic status especially for it being out after that stupid "Disco Demolition Party". Definitely a huge statement against the anti-disco sentiment that had reached a fever pitch.

Fun fact [[don't think Billboard mentioned it) but Sylvester used to spend his teens dress in Supremes-era DR drag [[this was mentioned on his Unsung docu).

jobeterob
07-19-2018, 08:49 AM
https://www.billboard.com/photos/7408710/gay-anthems-lgbt-pride-top-songs

gordy_hunk
07-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Looking at the list - probably at least 75% of the tracks I don't know - any many of the artists I've not heard of before.

Certainly Sylvester, Weather Girls, Gloria Gaynor, Thelma Houston, Village People are very well known - and within the gay community too. Similarly, Bronski Beat for the forthright lyrics - which despite it being extremely clear what Jimmy Somerville was singing, was never banned on the BBC. I'm sure I read somewhere that Diana had no idea what 'I'm coming out' symbolised and even the term was not known to her. I can't believe this, given her rather large gay fan base [[well, I assume that she has a large gay fan base). I don't know if the general population in 1980 [[within Germany) knew what this song title was meaning.

Would I have placed it as number one? I'd probably place Gloria or Sylvester or even the Weather Girls at number one, and Diana's 'I'm coming out' in the top ten.

Boogiedown
07-20-2018, 02:32 AM
Odd article,
Based on the list of six reasons given, this piece, if anything, might've been better titled DIANA'S DRAG QUEEN ICON STATUS.
I find little weight in it that translates to
her earning a "gay" icon status

Reason one:
Her Glitz & Glamour Has Always Been Admirable

Reason two:
RuPaul’s MVP

Reason three:
Her Thoughts On Gay Marriage Were Ahead of Its Time

Reason four:
Superstar on the Big Screen
[[ ok, She starred in movies --- ya ? So???)

Reason five:
Inspired Dreamgirls
[[ ok, She inspired DREAM GIRLS --- ya? So???)

Reason six:
“I’m Coming Out” Is The Ultimate Gay Anthem

this one though , reason three ,
Her being credited with early support of gay marriage, with the following quote provided as evidence, really takes the cake:

“Love is love and maybe you don’t need it to be legal,” The Boss, Ms. Ross told The Advocate in 1999.

This comment is the opposite of supporting gay marriage and does not a gay icon make.

lucky2012
07-20-2018, 11:31 AM
That's why it was considered a "soft" statement. Now some people don't feel the need to get legally married, disdaining the "institution" as a role model. I feel people should still be able to legally marry if they want to. Not sure if Diana meant it that way.

midnightman
07-20-2018, 03:11 PM
In 1999, it was unreal to think that one day we would be able to marry our partner if we wanted so what she said at the time was appropriate for the century. Sure there was a fight for same-sex marriage around the time Diana made that statement but most were just cool with civil ceremonies until same-sex marriage began to be legalized in certain states like Massachusetts and New York, then it became the fight to get it legalized, first statewide, then federally.

midnightman
07-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Looking at the list - probably at least 75% of the tracks I don't know - any many of the artists I've not heard of before.

Certainly Sylvester, Weather Girls, Gloria Gaynor, Thelma Houston, Village People are very well known - and within the gay community too. Similarly, Bronski Beat for the forthright lyrics - which despite it being extremely clear what Jimmy Somerville was singing, was never banned on the BBC. I'm sure I read somewhere that Diana had no idea what 'I'm coming out' symbolised and even the term was not known to her. I can't believe this, given her rather large gay fan base [[well, I assume that she has a large gay fan base). I don't know if the general population in 1980 [[within Germany) knew what this song title was meaning.

Would I have placed it as number one? I'd probably place Gloria or Sylvester or even the Weather Girls at number one, and Diana's 'I'm coming out' in the top ten.

Nile wrote ICO after seeing drag queens dressed as Diana.

I think she got the hint. ;)

Yeah I wouldn't put it at #1 but it definitely deserved to be in the top ten of the greatest gay anthems.

Boogiedown
07-21-2018, 01:09 AM
In 1996 the DOMA was passed by Congress and signed by Bill Clinton. After that the push back against it was started in earnest and people, especially celebrities, began taking a stand on which side of the issue they supported which was why The Advocate questioned Diana about it in 1999. Her limp wristed answer is hardly one championing gay marriage. Surely she's made stronger comments in all the years since that the article could have better cited to make their case.[[?)

It was cool that Diana did this Advocate interview in1999. Would like to read it in its entirety.