PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

test

oldspice676
02-12-2011, 07:22 PM
so i am converting my vinyl to mp3 using Audacity & when i record my sound it only comes in one speaker does anyone know the problem

i do have both rca cables into the phono jacks but is there anyway that i can have sound come from two speakers or any program that i should use?

DJ Oldspice

MIKEW-UK
02-12-2011, 07:46 PM
When you are recording in Audacity from the phono, you should have two meters at the top of the display showing recording input levels. First question is do you have both input meters, right and left channels visible and are they both monitoring input?

oldspice676
02-13-2011, 12:32 AM
When you are recording in Audacity from the phono, you should have two meters at the top of the display showing recording input levels. First question is do you have both input meters, right and left channels visible and are they both monitoring input?
yes i do but when i record from my record player i only hear sound coming from one speaker, i do have the jacks hooked up to the computer

MIKEW-UK
02-13-2011, 03:56 AM
Oldspice676,

if the Audacity input meters are set and are both monitoring input AND showing equal level input from both channels of your phono, then Audacity must be receiving both channels for recording.

When recording and playing back, are the sliders for the AudioTrack setting at midpoint between L and R [[ in the box on the left hand side of Audacity)?

If Audacity is both seeing and recording tracks at equal strength, then it must output equally. The next step therefore is to go into your control panel, then into sound settings and ensure the speaker balance levels are equal.

If this is ok, then could it be that one of the speakers is not outputting because of a wiring / hardware / soundcard fault?

To test this, try plugging in your headphones into the headphone jack and see if playback is coming through both phones.

If none of this solves the problem, and if you have access to another computer, you could load up Audacity and see if it performs correctly on sound record and sound playback / output. If it works perfectly, then it suggests you have a hardware / firmware problem on your main computer, maybe in the soundcard.

Hope this helps; sorry if you have already tried all this and I am telling you what you already know. Are you using a desktop or a laptop, and which operating system?

oldspice676
02-13-2011, 04:34 AM
Oldspice676,

if the Audacity input meters are set and are both monitoring input AND showing equal level input from both channels of your phono, then Audacity must be receiving both channels for recording.

When recording and playing back, are the sliders for the AudioTrack setting at midpoint between L and R [[ in the box on the left hand side of Audacity)?

If Audacity is both seeing and recording tracks at equal strength, then it must output equally. The next step therefore is to go into your control panel, then into sound settings and ensure the speaker balance levels are equal.

If this is ok, then could it be that one of the speakers is not outputting because of a wiring / hardware / soundcard fault?

To test this, try plugging in your headphones into the headphone jack and see if playback is coming through both phones.

If none of this solves the problem, and if you have access to another computer, you could load up Audacity and see if it performs correctly on sound record and sound playback / output. If it works perfectly, then it suggests you have a hardware / firmware problem on your main computer, maybe in the soundcard.

Hope this helps; sorry if you have already tried all this and I am telling you what you already know. Are you using a desktop or a laptop, and which operating system?

THANKS! i got it now UR AWESOME LOL!!