PDA

View Full Version : Return To Motown Albums Expanded

test

Ollie9
07-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Does anyone have any news on the four return to motown albums that were going to be expanded. IMO all four albums Workin' Overtime, Force Behind The Power, Take Me Higher and Every Day Is A New Day are all solid efforts by Diana.
I would be very grateful for any information, good or bad. :)

bradsupremes
07-15-2018, 11:41 AM
Does anyone have any news on the four return to motown albums that were going to be expanded. IMO all four albums Workin' Overtime, Force Behind The Power, Take Me Higher and Every Day Is A New Day are all solid efforts by Diana.

I haven’t heard any info about these albums getting expanded unless you know something I don’t. If there are plans I doubt we’ll see them anytime soon. The focus right now is on the Supremes catalog and there is a lot still to be done there. There is also more from Diana’s 70’s/early 80’s Motown period that still needs to come out. I would prefer to see the Supremes catalog and Diana’s first solo period with Motown completed before any of the albums from her return get worked on. Other than the die-hard fans, I don’t think there is a demand for those albums anyway. I would actually want to see her unreleased Harold Arlen album see the light of day first.

sup_fan
07-15-2018, 12:04 PM
Agreed. Seems like the sup material is selling pretty well. So I’d imagine they’re going to keep going there. Strike while the iron is hot

vgalindo
07-15-2018, 07:16 PM
These are not being worked on by Universal by Andy, and George. I believe it was said some other company was interested expanding these 4 albums through EMI.

vgalindo
07-15-2018, 07:17 PM

Yes I would love these to be expanded. Maybe Bluebrock has heard about any updates?

Bluebrock
07-16-2018, 02:33 AM
Yes I would love these to be expanded. Maybe Bluebrock has heard about any updates?
I have heard nothing recently vgalindo. I was contacted around 15 months by a Company [[Not Universal) who were interested in releasing these expanded editions. There is certainly enough material in the can whether they be alternate versions or unused tracks to warrant these releases, but i honestly do not know if they ever got beyond the planning stages. Licensing certain songs can be an absolute nightmare, and many planned reissues [[not just Ross tracks) have had to be abandoned because people quite simply got tired of waiting for tracks to be cleared. I know one Company who have been trying to license the Four Tops ABC material for years and have finally given up. It is very frustrating for the people involved.

PeaceNHarmony
07-16-2018, 07:51 AM
I have heard nothing recently vgalindo. I was contacted around 15 months by a Company [[Not Universal) who were interested in releasing these expanded editions. There is certainly enough material in the can whether they be alternate versions or unused tracks to warrant these releases, but i honestly do not know if they ever got beyond the planning stages. Licensing certain songs can be an absolute nightmare, and many planned reissues [[not just Ross tracks) have had to be abandoned because people quite simply got tired of waiting for tracks to be cleared. I know one Company who have been trying to license the Four Tops ABC material for years and have finally given up. It is very frustrating for the people involved.
I was hoping for better news as I think it was you who referred to a USA reissue label looking into the return lps. What actually goes pear-shaped with waiting for clearances? Just a lack of interest on the holder's part?

sup_fan
07-16-2018, 08:01 AM
Also why are there so many barriers to releasing? From an old and [[somewhat) dormant catalog I would think a label or producer would be happy to earn some money vs none

Bluebrock
07-16-2018, 11:37 AM
I was hoping for better news as I think it was you who referred to a USA reissue label looking into the return lps. What actually goes pear-shaped with waiting for clearances? Just a lack of interest on the holder's part?
Yes it was a USA based label that was looking into releasing them. Getting clearance from certain publishers is an absolute nightmare. There are so many legal hurdles to overcome, and often when we think we have finally overcome them we are presented with another loophole which further delays the process.
I am not saying these releases will not surface someday. I am not directly involved with regard to these master tapes and have no inside information as to if or when they will appear. I am as anxious as you are for them to be released because there is some stellar material in the vaults from the sessions from the final three albums that deserve to be heard. There are also many remixes from the Workin' overtime sessions that would be appreciated by those of you who liked the original album.

PeaceNHarmony
07-16-2018, 11:40 AM
Yes it was a USA based label that was looking into releasing them. Getting clearance from certain publishers is an absolute nightmare. There are so many legal hurdles to overcome, and often when we think we have finally overcome them we are presented with another loophole which further delays the process.
I am not saying these releases will not surface someday. I am not directly involved with regard to these master tapes and have no inside information as to if or when they will appear. I am as anxious as you are for them to be released because there is some stellar material in the vaults from the sessions from the final three albums that deserve to be heard. There are also many remixes from the Workin' overtime sessions that would be appreciated by those of you who liked the original album.
So interesting, if maddening and disappointing all the same. Makes one want to be taken to ... funkytown ... I have an 'unofficial' expanded WO and just love it. A fun lp. Best to you as always -

Ollie9
07-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Many thanks everyone for the information update. I have to say i am hugely dissapointed by the news as i think all four albums are more then worthy of the expanded treatment and for me personally hold more interest then the current Supremes expanded releases, as good as they are. Would so love have heard unreleased songs from any of the four sessions.
I had hoped there might be some good new as Diana's profile has been a little higher of late but alas.
Here's hoping Ross 78 proves to be something special.