PDA

View Full Version : Gladys Knight- License To Kill [[James Bond Film Theme)

test

marv2
07-14-2018, 04:53 PM
One of my favorites......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbAitGmKL-8

Guy
07-14-2018, 07:40 PM
"She doesn't have the range" - DSB

sansradio
07-14-2018, 08:21 PM

Who is DSB? Are they on hard drugs?!!?

reese
07-14-2018, 08:42 PM
I believe DSB is Dame Shirley Bassey.

I didn't hear her comment on Gladys' theme, but she did say "she doesn't have the range for it" for Tina Turner's GOLDENEYE. She was referring to the high note Tina hit near the end.

marv2
07-15-2018, 01:50 AM
Who is DSB? Are they on hard drugs?!!?

LOL!!!!! Stop! LOL! Gladys nails this song!

marv2
07-15-2018, 01:54 AM

I didn't hear her comment on Gladys' theme, but she did say "she doesn't have the range for it" for Tina Turner's GOLDENEYE. She was referring to the high note Tina hit near the end.

I enjoyed Shirley Bassey's "Goldfinger" even when I first heard her perform it in 1964 as a young kid. This Bond theme by Gladys Knight has nothing whatsoever to do with Shirley or her song for THAT film. Any comments made in comparison is either sour grapes or a bunch of insecure bullshit. Gladys is as much of a legend as Shirley Bassey is and even more so in America. I don't care what Tina Turner did because it has nothing to do with this performance by Gladys Knight.

midnightman
07-15-2018, 02:17 AM
I love "Gold Finger" and I love "Goldeneye" but Shirley Bassey is a hater.

Anyway, Gladys' "Licence to Kill" is probably my third all-time favorite Bond song behind "Goldeneye" and "Live and Let Die" by Wings.

Bluebrock
07-15-2018, 02:24 AM

That would not surprise me in the slightest. Shirley Bassey has "interesting" opinions on many of her rivals both male and female. I have not heard this particular "attack" before, but chances are she did say it. Having said that this is irrelevant in this instance as she was discussing Tina rather than Gladys. The only common link here is the Bond connection of course.
Gladys does a sensational job here as she always does, and this particular Bond song is one of my favorite Bond themes. Thank you Marv for posting it.

marv2
07-15-2018, 03:14 AM
That would not surprise me in the slightest. Shirley Bassey has "interesting" opinions on many of her rivals both male and female. I have not heard this particular "attack" before, but chances are she did say it. Having said that this is irrelevant in this instance as she was discussing Tina rather than Gladys. The only common link here is the Bond connection of course.
Gladys does a sensational job here as she always does, and this particular Bond song is one of my favorite Bond themes. Thank you Marv for posting it.

You are welcome.

Guy
07-15-2018, 11:40 PM

No, Shirley Bassey did not actually comment on Gladys. The real DSB said it in reference to Tina Turner and she said it without malice. I was referencing this parody from Matt Lucas and David Wailliams of "Little Britain."

"She doesn't have the range" has become a saying on its own. I thought there was prior discussion of it at SD. Starts at 4:09:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lrLO0F-nKYs

Bluebrock
07-16-2018, 03:00 AM
No, Shirley Bassey did not actually comment on Gladys. The real DSB said it in reference to Tina Turner and she said it without malice. I was referencing this parody from Matt Lucas and David Wailliams of "Little Britain."

"She doesn't have the range" has become a saying on its own. I thought there was prior discussion of it at SD. Starts at 4:09:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lrLO0F-nKYs
Thank you for clearing that one up Guy.

marybrewster
07-16-2018, 09:06 AM

As soon as you said this, I knew EXACTLY what you were referencing! Love it!