PDA

View Full Version : If only the Tempts had worked with...

test

jboy88
07-10-2018, 09:56 PM
I really wish Shorty Long had gotten the chance to produce material on the Temptations. With his love of both 50s style ballads and hardcore funk arrangements, the combo would of been like milk and Oreos. I can hear Paul nailing Shorty’s version of “Memories are Made of This”. He could of done a mix of both original songs and doo-wop covers with the same psychedelic edge the guys were turning out at that time.

arr&bee
07-11-2018, 07:05 PM
I would've loved to see them work with curtis mayfield.

Quinn
07-11-2018, 11:42 PM
I'd go with the late great Don Davis. He became a hot commodity around the time they were on the slide commercially too. A Temptations album recorded in Detroit at United Sound and Muscle Shoals in that period, MAN!. Songs written by Tony Hester, Don, Norma Toney, Roy Moore Jr and arrangements by master Rudy Robinson. Yes Sir.

Philles/Motown Gary
07-16-2018, 01:07 AM
I would have liked to see an entire Temptations album produced by H-D-H. Their production of David's "Just One Last Look" on their "With A Lot Of Soul" LP was brilliant.

mysterysinger
07-16-2018, 06:20 AM
I would have liked to see an entire Temptations album produced by H-D-H. Their production of David's "Just One Last Look" on their "With A Lot Of Soul" LP was brilliant.

Wot no Phil Spector? Imagine - he'd have featured David Ruffin and probably done little with the other Tempts. Mind you David could've done great work on "Love Is All I Have To Give" and "I Keep Forgetting".

arr&bee
07-16-2018, 11:09 AM
I can hear dennis killin em on the tramps[hold back the night].

jboy88
07-16-2018, 12:54 PM

Same here. I would’ve loved to of heard David lead on “7 Rooms of Gloom” and “It Don’t Take Much To Keep Me”. Too bad The Temptations only did 2 songs with Holland-Dozier-Holland! I wish the same for Gladys Knight & the Pips, whose few HDH production were vaulted for half a century!

Philles/Motown Gary
07-16-2018, 05:31 PM
Wot no Phil Spector? Imagine - he'd have featured David Ruffin and probably done little with the other Tempts. Mind you David could've done great work on "Love Is All I Have To Give" and "I Keep Forgetting".
True. Actually, as far as producers go, I guess I was thinking within the Motown box rather than outside of it. If I were gonna pair Uncle Phil with a Motown group during the '60s, it would be with the girls -- Diana, Martha, Wanda, Cal, Brenda, or Kim.... or, in the '70s, Diana, Jean, Mary, or Scherrie. As far as the Motown male groups, Phil loved the Four Tops. I would have loved to hear what he might have done with them.

Boogiedown
07-17-2018, 11:52 AM
..... each other!

marv2
07-17-2018, 01:13 PM
I would have love to seen the results of a collaboration with George Clinton and Bernie Worrell.

TomatoTom123
07-17-2018, 07:10 PM

Oooh I love that one Gary :)

TomatoTom123
07-17-2018, 07:11 PM
I can hear dennis killin em on the tramps[hold back the night].

Oooooooh YES that would have been perfect for Dennis!!!!

Philles/Motown Gary
07-17-2018, 07:14 PM
Oooh I love that one Gary :)
Oooh yeah, Tom! That would have been HOT!