PDA

View Full Version : DRATS Greatest Hits Vol. 3

test

marybrewster
07-10-2018, 06:33 PM
Over the weekend I was at a flea market, and found an 8 track tape of DRATS GH Vol. 3.

It was the same cover that we've all seen, however the track listing on the back included "The Beginning of the End" from CREAM OF THE CROP.

I didn't buy it as I have no way to play it, but wondered if that was a misprint or if it was actually included on that release?

I took pictures of it, but can't find a way to post them via my phone.

I just thought it was interesting. I've never seen it listed on the CD, LP, or on any other resource, like Wiki.

reese
07-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Over the weekend I was at a flea market, and found an 8 track tape of DRATS GH Vol. 3.

It was the same cover that we've all seen, however the track listing on the back included "The Beginning of the End" from CREAM OF THE CROP.

I didn't buy it as I have no way to play it, but wondered if that was a misprint or if it was actually included on that release?

I took pictures of it, but can't find a way to post them via my phone.

I just thought it was interesting. I've never seen it listed on the CD, LP, or on any other resource, like Wiki.

I suppose they could have added an additional song to round out the album, as it only had 11 songs. I wouldn't be surprised. On eBay, I just saw 8-tracks of GREATEST HITS VOL. I and II that added PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE and REMOVE THIS DOUBT, songs that weren't on the vinyl.

I remember buying an 8-track of MOTORTOWN REVUE IN PARIS back in the 70s. A few of the songs, like DANCING IN THE STREET, BABY LOVE, and MICKEY'S MONKEY were shortened from the vinyl. And they actually replaced the Paris version of STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE with the shorter version from the Copa album.

kenneth
07-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Ah, 8 tracks! The classic "Edsel" of sound systems. I'm sure they added "Beginning of the End" because the album was so short. Remember on 8-tracks that they had to sequence the songs with [[usually) 3 to a "program."

Does anyone remember, however, when they couldn't squeeze a song in to a program, it would fade out and then fade back in on the next program or channel...as if the song was Part 1 and Part 2. I could never understand how anyone could stand that.

The weirdest type of sound system. I wonder why anyone ever thought it was a good idea?

vgalindo
07-10-2018, 09:15 PM
I remember this on 8 track. A friend of mine had the 8 track and I do remember that "The beginning of the End" was on the 8 track.

Jaap
07-11-2018, 02:35 AM
On discogs you can find the tracklist of the 8-track and it indeed includes The Beginning of the End. https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-The-Supremes-Diana-Ross-And-The-Supremes-Greatest-Hits-Volume-3/release/8817167

marybrewster
07-11-2018, 11:52 AM
What's interesting is that "Beginning" is only listed in the track listing on the back side; no mention of it on the front cover.

reese
07-11-2018, 12:57 PM
What's interesting is that "Beginning" is only listed in the track listing on the back side; no mention of it on the front cover.

They probably didn't think it was worth the time and expense to alter the original album cover design.

TheMotownManiac
07-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Each track had to have the exact same amount of music on it or a lot of dead air, so various attempts were used to fill it. The best? CASSETTES! 8 tracks were hideous pieces of crap that often skipped and got eaten by the machine. The fading issue was just awful.

LoveSupreme
07-12-2018, 12:54 PM
My family had one of those huge stereo consoles that included a turntable, a cassette tape player and an 8-track. At it's base was a colored light display that changed with the rhythm/beat of the music. Strictly out of the 1970's.

PeaceNHarmony
07-13-2018, 12:10 PM
Ah, 8 tracks! The classic "Edsel" of sound systems. I'm sure they added "Beginning of the End" because the album was so short. Remember on 8-tracks that they had to sequence the songs with [[usually) 3 to a "program."

Does anyone remember, however, when they couldn't squeeze a song in to a program, it would fade out and then fade back in on the next program or channel...as if the song was Part 1 and Part 2. I could never understand how anyone could stand that.

The weirdest type of sound system. I wonder why anyone ever thought it was a good idea?
Oy. And when they not only split a song, but faded out midway then faded back in on the next track ...

kenneth
07-21-2018, 12:27 AM
My family had one of those huge stereo consoles that included a turntable, a cassette tape player and an 8-track. At it's base was a colored light display that changed with the rhythm/beat of the music. Strictly out of the 1970's.

It'd be great to still have it if it actually worked!