PDA

View Full Version : Gee Whiz...who could have covered it well?

test

lockhartgary
07-06-2018, 05:35 PM
Hi all,
Yesterday I heard Carla Thomas' "Gee Whiz" on the radio. She does an outstanding job!

The I got to wondering who at Motown could have done a really good cover version? My picks are as follows, in no particular order:

Supremes: Diana would have done the lead very well, I think, had they recorded it not too early in their career as Diana's voice and technique improved over time.
The Miracles: I think Claudette would have done an exceptional job.

Your thoughts?

marv2
07-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Hi all,
Yesterday I heard Carla Thomas' "Gee Whiz" on the radio. She does an outstanding job!

The I got to wondering who at Motown could have done a really good cover version? My picks are as follows, in no particular order:

Supremes: Diana would have done the lead very well, I think, had they recorded it not too early in their career as Diana's voice and technique improved over time.
The Miracles: I think Claudette would have done an exceptional job.

Your thoughts?

"Gee Whiz" as sung by Carla Thomas requires an understated, jazz voice, subtle to carry it off. I know these ladies were not all from Motown, but, Chaka Khan does that better than most. Also, Anita Baker could handle it, Shirley Murdock or even Carolyn Crawford.

Cal Street of the Velvelettes could do it justice. Brenda H. , maybe, but Rosalind Ashford of the Vandellas ,definitely!

marv2
07-06-2018, 06:28 PM
Mary Wells could have done a great job with that song!

Motown Eddie
07-06-2018, 07:07 PM
I think that Martha & the Vandellas, The Marvelettes [[with either Gladys or Wanda doing the lead) or The Miracles [[with Claudette doing the lead) could do a good remake of Carla Thomas' classic "Gee Whiz".

lakeside
07-06-2018, 07:15 PM
I also think Mary Wells would do justice to that song.

arr&bee
07-07-2018, 07:18 PM
I'm hearing-mary wells-wanda rodgers.

kenneth
07-07-2018, 07:21 PM
You know, in thinking about a jazzy interpretation such as @marv2 suggested, "Gee Whiz" would almost be a standard in the same vein as "Guess Who," for example. I don't think I've ever heard anyone else sing "Gee Whiz" except CT but Anita Baker sounds awesome!

Ngroove
07-08-2018, 12:29 AM
Patrice Holloway

marv2
07-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Syreeta would have sounded good on it too.

captainjames
07-08-2018, 04:10 PM
I will take it up a notch and in the 70's with the Dynamic Superiors.

longtimefan
07-08-2018, 04:32 PM
My goodness, Gladys Knight, who else!!??!! ��

marv2
07-08-2018, 04:40 PM
My goodness, Gladys Knight, who else!!??!! ��

Gladys would have sounded great on it the way she sang very early on in her career, like in the early 60s.

woodward
07-10-2018, 03:44 PM
I guess that several Motown artists could have covered this to satisfy the listening ear, however, the version by Carla Thomas is the great performance anyone could give to this song. Gee Whiz by Carla is in the same category as Respect by Aretha Franklin. Carla and Aretha gets a 99.9% rating and I doubt anyone could do a greater performance on either.

kenneth
07-10-2018, 07:42 PM
I guess that several Motown artists could have covered this to satisfy the listening ear, however, the version by Carla Thomas is the great performance anyone could give to this song. Gee Whiz by Carla is in the same category as Respect by Aretha Franklin. Carla and Aretha gets a 99.9% rating and I doubt anyone could do a greater performance on either.

I agree. But I guess we have to forgive her for "Gee Whiz, it's Christmas." Now that song I could do without!

marv2
07-10-2018, 08:32 PM
I agree. But I guess we have to forgive her for "Gee Whiz, it's Christmas." Now that song I could do without!

I hate it when people do that. They get a huge it and milk the hell out of it. LOL!!!