PDA

View Full Version : Supremes - "We Couldn't Get Along Without You"

test

marybrewster
07-04-2018, 10:03 PM
Perhaps a question for Andy or George or any one of our Motown history buffs:

In the Supremes "We Couldn't Get Along Without You", Diana, Mary, and Florence "congratulate" Berry.

Diana even references the song in the Hollywood Bowl concert when she introduces Berry....."we couldn't have made it without him, and we couldn't feel a song without him."

Does anyone know what EXACTLY they are congratulating him on? Had he won an award of some sort? Or was this simply based on the success of Motown over the past several years?

vgalindo
07-04-2018, 11:26 PM
I believe Lamont Dozier told Andy and George that he believed it could have been for his birthday but really couldn't remember.

snakepit
07-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Didn't Berry get an award from Detroit City Council or similar..business man of the year or something like that..1965ish.

sup_fan
07-05-2018, 11:38 AM
at the Hollywood Bowl concert, i think he was recognized for his work and contributions to a charity. Wasn't that concert a benefit for NAACP or United Way or something? I'm at work right now so i can't play my bootleg of the show and figure it out lolol. I know he also presented a scholarship program to UCLA for music. Wonder if that's still in place?

I'm guessing that the song was tied in with that. perhaps there was a subsequent award dinner or something. maybe a presentation. and they could have used the song there

i was intrigued with the session date - just days prior to the infamous April meeting of Flo [[and her mother), Mary and Diana at Berry's mansion where it was decided Flo would be leaving the group. here she is just a couple days prior singing a song praising Berry. ouch

danman869
07-05-2018, 11:48 AM
I believe Lamont Dozier told Andy and George that he believed it could have been for his birthday but really couldn't remember.

With all due respect to Lamont, Berry’s birthday is in November, so it’s pretty unlikely that this was recorded on April 16, 1967 to celebrate Berry’s birthday. The lyrical theme sounds more like an award congratulations—perhaps something within the industry or perhaps they hit a sales milestone.

antceleb12
07-05-2018, 07:13 PM
i was intrigued with the session date - just days prior to the infamous April meeting of Flo [[and her mother), Mary and Diana at Berry's mansion where it was decided Flo would be leaving the group. here she is just a couple days prior singing a song praising Berry. ouch

For some reason, I thought "We Couldn't Get Along..." was recorded in 1966, not 1967. Where did you get the session dates? [[I realize that I'm probably in the wrong here - I'm also very curious). Not to stir the pot, but it always struck me as odd that Flo would "congratulate" Berry considering the rising tension in their relationship.

sup_fan
07-05-2018, 10:42 PM
It’s in the liner notes for the HDH expanded edition. The new lyrics were added April 16, 1967