PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes at The Copa 1967

test

longtimefan
07-01-2018, 08:09 PM
The Supremes at The Copa 1967 from the HDH Expanded Edition

Please.... not a complaint, but I have a couple of recording of The Supremes at the Copa in 1967. There are four tracks missing on the new HDH collection:

- Yesterday
- Michelle
- More
- Let There Be Love

I am curious as to why, particularly in regards to LET THERE BE LOVE.

bradsupremes
07-01-2018, 11:25 PM
The Supremes at The Copa 1967 from the HDH Expanded Edition

Please.... not a complaint, but I have a couple of recording of The Supremes at the Copa in 1967. There are four tracks missing on the new HDH collection:

- Yesterday
- Michelle
- More
- Let There Be Love

I am curious as to why, particularly in regards to LET THERE BE LOVE.

Those were from the first show. They used the second show from that night.

longtimefan
07-01-2018, 11:30 PM
Those were from the first show. They used the second show from that night.

Interesting! Your background knowledge is amazing! Thanks!

sup_fan
07-02-2018, 11:38 AM
wow - i would have greatly preferred to have more of the show included versus the new remixes. i'll always take some of the original work over new

George Solomon
07-02-2018, 12:18 PM
As Brad said, we used the late show. Along with the numbers you mentioned they also did the "With A Song In My Heart Medley" in show 1. All of these were performed with Florence on the live Roostertail set available on I HEAR A SYMPHONY EXPANDED. The performances were better in that concert. These will also be included on an expanded TALK OF THE TOWN which we hope to do [[someday). Interesting how back then they switched up an early and late show, not repeating most of the non-hits. I believe "Queen Of The House" was the only one included in both shows. We included a few numbers from show 1. For instance, they didn't do "You Can't Hurry Love" in the late show but we pulled it from show 1 feeling it was too important not to include. Same with "Somewhere" and "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You." Andy felt very strong that the latter two should have been on since they were such staples of their act. They were both used on THE SUPREMES box set. I got a message from a lady who had never heard a Supremes concert and was thrilled with this show, specifically mentioning "Somewhere" and "You're Nobody." So, Andy was right... I guess we sometimes forget that the big fans know this material backwards but new fans pop up all the time. It's all a compromise and a matter of opinion. I personally would have been disappointed to lose a lot of [[actually MOST of) the new mixes on disc 2 to include more of the often heard live tracks. But I really enjoy hearing opinions. We really try to give fans what they want, when we can.

luke
07-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Thanks George. I haven’t listened to the whole cd yet but Did not Mary or Flo have any solos at all in either show? Did Mary start doing Can’t take my eyes off you in ‘68?

George Solomon
07-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Thanks George. I haven’t listened to the whole cd yet but Did not Mary or Flo have any solos at all in either show? Did Mary start doing Can’t take my eyes off you in ‘68?
No solos at this show but they are very prominent throughout. I'm pretty sure Mary didn't start "Can't Take My Eyes..." until the show was revamped in 1969 but someone else might know better.

PeaceNHarmony
07-02-2018, 03:59 PM
As Brad said, we used the late show. Along with the numbers you mentioned they also did the "With A Song In My Heart Medley" in show 1. All of these were performed with Florence on the live Roostertail set available on I HEAR A SYMPHONY EXPANDED. The performances were better in that concert. These will also be included on an expanded TALK OF THE TOWN which we hope to do [[someday). Interesting how back then they switched up an early and late show, not repeating most of the non-hits. I believe "Queen Of The House" was the only one included in both shows. We included a few numbers from show 1. For instance, they didn't do "You Can't Hurry Love" in the late show but we pulled it from show 1 feeling it was too important not to include. Same with "Somewhere" and "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You." Andy felt very strong that the latter two should have been on since they were such staples of their act. They were both used on THE SUPREMES box set. I got a message from a lady who had never heard a Supremes concert and was thrilled with this show, specifically mentioning "Somewhere" and "You're Nobody." So, Andy was right... I guess we sometimes forget that the big fans know this material backwards but new fans pop up all the time. It's all a compromise and a matter of opinion. I personally would have been disappointed to lose a lot of [[actually MOST of) the new mixes on disc 2 to include more of the often heard live tracks. But I really enjoy hearing opinions. We really try to give fans what they want, when we can.
And you succeed beyond our wildest dreams! It's a major joy to have these cds so thanks again for all your efforts and enthusiasm - it really shows. Love reading your comments here as well.

floyjoy678
07-02-2018, 07:17 PM
Luke, Mary started doing both Can't Take My Eyes Off You and Falling In Love With Love in the shows in the fall of '68, maybe even earlier.

Was Back In My Arms Again still in the act during the Copa '67 engagement? And if so was it recorded? When exactly did they drop that one along with You Can't Hurry Love?

daviddh
07-02-2018, 07:26 PM
I love the new mixes George.i actually wanted more. we listen to these songs for 50 years and hearing a new mix refreshes the music for me. I wanted more new 18 mixes, geez do we have to wait until 2019 for Reflections. please say no.....I just cant take it

TheMotownManiac
07-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Luke, Mary started doing both Can't Take My Eyes Off You and Falling In Love With Love in the shows in the fall of '68, maybe even earlier.

Was Back In My Arms Again still in the act during the Copa '67 engagement? And if so was it recorded? When exactly did they drop that one along with You Can't Hurry Love?
Back was not in the show I saw in late 66 - neither was Nothing But Hearta he’s, WDOLG, and Itching. YCHL was out in spring of 68 as was Symphony

bradsupremes
07-02-2018, 09:48 PM
Back was not in the show I saw in late 66 - neither was Nothing But Hearta he’s, WDOLG, and Itching. YCHL was out in spring of 68 as was Symphony

"Back In My Arms Again" was in the show up thru April 1967, in fact it was done at the Hollywood Bowl with Cindy.

"You Can't Hurry Love" was taken out before the ladies set off on their European tour in January 1968.