PDA

View Full Version : United Sound Systems building up for sale

test

woodward
06-25-2018, 11:57 AM
https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2018/06/historic_detroit_recording_stu.html

How many MF members have ever visited the facility? I once had a personal hour long tour by Willie Davis, family member of Don Davis.

There is a series of 46 outstanding interior pictures of the facility for you to look at.

marv2
06-25-2018, 04:22 PM
I never got the chance to go inside, so thank you Woodward!

soulster
06-25-2018, 06:25 PM
Amazing studio! Gotta dig the way they stretched the pictures to make it look buch more spacious than it really is, but, damn it's a nice place. I'd hate to see it go away.

What caught my eye is how it is equipped with a 24-track analog deck.

marv2
06-25-2018, 06:29 PM
Amazing studio! Gotta dig the way they stretched the pictures to make it look buch more spacious than it really is, but, damn it's a nice place. I'd hate to see it go away.

What caught my eye is how it is equipped with a 24-track analog deck.

It's like a very hip, 70s thing going on huh?

marv2
06-25-2018, 06:33 PM
So, so much classic music came out of that place. I am just happy it still exists.

funkcity
06-25-2018, 10:12 PM
Lots of memories for me
My sister and I sang a Classmate shoe commercial there in the 50s!
My brother sang a Little Caesars Pizza Commercial there. My dad played lots of jingles, Industrial films and record dates there before it became the rock/soul recording place.
And I got to go to those dates! It was pretty cool!
1.5 million? Such a dream. She bought the place for 20,000.
It now is a very troubled property.

marv2
06-25-2018, 10:23 PM
Lots of memories for me
My sister and I sang a Classmate shoe commercial there in the 50s!
My brother sang a Little Caesars Pizza Commercial there. My dad played lots of jingles, Industrial films and record dates there before it became the rock/soul recording place.
And I got to go to those dates! It was pretty cool!
1.5 million? Such a dream. She bought the place for 20,000.
It now is a very troubled property.

Your memories sound great. The value has really gone up for this facility. wow!

soulster
06-26-2018, 04:18 AM
It's like a very hip, 70s thing going on huh?

80s, too. Digital recording didn't become dominant until the late 80s. But, my point is that it's getting harder to find analog-equipped studios. And, when you find one, it's very expensive.

soulster
06-26-2018, 04:19 AM
So, so much classic music came out of that place. I am just happy it still exists.

When you think about the talent that recorded there: Johnnie Taylor, Robin Trower, Parliament/Funkadelic...