PDA

View Full Version : Everything Is Everything Diana Ross 2018 version

test

jack020
06-21-2018, 08:24 AM
The Culture Factory version was released om may 25 2018.
Amzon uk states: Digitally remastered HDCD edition in mini LP sleeve including OBI.
The tracklisting is the same as the version from 2008.
Did anybody buy this and is there a difference in sound?

RanRan79
06-21-2018, 08:46 AM
No I didn't buy this one released this year, but I hope I'm not hijacking your thread by opening up discussion about the album in general, if you don't mind?

I think EIE is an underrated album. It suffered from a horrible promotion situation. I can listen to it all the way through without skipping a track, even though I'm not fond of "Come Together" [[although it is the only listenable version of the song I've ever heard) and "Long and Winding Road". I'm surprised I love "Call Me" as much as I do because I couldn't ever imagine Ross doing justice to an Aretha song because their voices are so very different, but I've actually come to love Diana's version more than Aretha's [[studio that is, Ree did a killer version on a tv show- Tom Jones I think- that made her own hit version sound like crap). I think Diana did some great work on this album, despite it not being a fan favorite.

reese
06-21-2018, 08:55 AM
I don't have the 2018 version. I figured why bother after having the expanded edition released by Motown Select a while back.

Re the album itself, I liked it upon first listen. But for some reason, I never placed it among my top Diana albums. Thinking about it now, I do like the majority of the tracks. I just don't feel that they measure up to the stuff that Diana was doing with Ashford and Simpson during this period. But taken on their own, I think they are fine.

And of course, the timing of the album is still puzzling. Releasing it while her first solo album was less than six months old, and without a lead single for almost a year! It is surprising that it charted as high as it did.

longtimefan
06-21-2018, 09:36 AM
No I didn't buy this one released this year, but I hope I'm not hijacking your thread by opening up discussion about the album in general, if you don't mind?

I think EIE is an underrated album. It suffered from a horrible promotion situation. I can listen to it all the way through without skipping a track, even though I'm not fond of "Come Together" [[although it is the only listenable version of the song I've ever heard) and "Long and Winding Road". I'm surprised I love "Call Me" as much as I do because I couldn't ever imagine Ross doing justice to an Aretha song because their voices are so very different, but I've actually come to love Diana's version more than Aretha's [[studio that is, Ree did a killer version on a tv show- Tom Jones I think- that made her own hit version sound like crap). I think Diana did some great work on this album, despite it not being a fan favorite.

Diana’s “Call Me” was also nominated for a Grammy in 1972.

alanbill1074
06-21-2018, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't touch any more Culture Factory releases. EVERYTHING THEY DO IS VERY LOUD. I have a few and I can't bear to play them. Awful mastering.

The album itself is one of my favourites. I prefer it to her debut definitely.

captainjames
06-21-2018, 05:37 PM
The only song on that CD that I did not care for was the title song. "I'm Still Waiting " was brilliant and I was surprise it did not get lot of play in the states. I did not purchase the 2018 release.

RanRan79
06-21-2018, 11:03 PM

Yes it was. Says a lot about how respectable her cover of the song was. It is hard to cover the Queen, but it's a testament to Diana's artistry [[and the producer) that it stayed true to the original but kept it very much Diana at the same time. I know Aretha can be hard on female singers, but I've always wondered what she thought of Diana's version.

RanRan79
06-21-2018, 11:04 PM
The album itself is one of my favourites. I prefer it to her debut definitely.

Agreed. The debut is nice, but I find EIE to be the better album, song for song.

RanRan79
06-21-2018, 11:08 PM
The only song on that CD that I did not care for was the title song. "I'm Still Waiting " was brilliant and I was surprise it did not get lot of play in the states. I did not purchase the 2018 release.

I like the song "Everything Is Everything", but I think it would've been better if it had a funkier sound considering "everything is everything" was often an urban colloquialism.

It actually took "I'm Still Waiting" years to grow on me. Even now it's not a song I really ever make a point of playing, but it's a good song. Definitely should've been as big a hit in the states as it was overseas.

Bluebrock
06-22-2018, 02:16 AM

I always thought it was her weakest 70's album aside from "last time i saw him". It seemed like it was rushed out after her debut album initially underperformed, and i thought the project was uneven and disjointed, and Diana herself as i recall was not happy with the finished project. Having said that when i listened to it again last year whilst doing research i appreciated it more than ever previously. There are some good songs on there amongst a couple of not so good ones. No way would i have released "come together" and "long and winding road", but had that pair been binned and replaced with a couple of stronger songs we could have had a pretty decent album.

PeaceNHarmony
06-22-2018, 05:58 AM
I've always loved EIE as a beautiful oddity featuring gorgeous arrangements by Deke and typically perfect singing by Diana. The Hippo expanded is wonderful and I love the interview with Richards. Lo these 127 years later I would have preferred more originals and less covers but 'ya can't eat the same knish twice.

jobucats
06-22-2018, 07:54 AM

I was rather shocked of the nomination of Diana's "Call Me" for a 1972 Grammy. For me it was just a so-so song and delivery, however, I am showing my ignorance as to how a song from what I deemed to be a rather obscure album even gets the attention of the Grammy organization. Are these cuts from albums presented to the organization by record companies for consideration? Are there agents from the Grammy organization who comb through albums for Grammy worthy songs? Did her performance of "Call Me" on her special draw attention to it? Are there any other non-single Motown songs that have been nominated?

TomatoTom123
06-22-2018, 08:52 AM

Disgusting behaviour. This forum could really use some proper law and order. Have you ever thought maybe, just maybe, there are those that DO mind!? :p

reese
06-22-2018, 09:46 AM
I was rather shocked of the nomination of Diana's "Call Me" for a 1972 Grammy. For me it was just a so-so song and delivery, however, I am showing my ignorance as to how a song from what I deemed to be a rather obscure album even gets the attention of the Grammy organization. Are these cuts from albums presented to the organization by record companies for consideration? Are there agents from the Grammy organization who comb through albums for Grammy worthy songs? Did her performance of "Call Me" on her special draw attention to it? Are there any other non-single Motown songs that have been nominated?

I think record companies submit their recordings for Grammy consideration.

Re other non-single Motown nominations, that same year [[1972), Valerie Simpson's THERE IS A GOD was nominated for Best Soul Gospel Performance.

PeaceNHarmony
06-22-2018, 10:24 AM
The Culture Factory version was released om may 25 2018.
Amzon uk states: Digitally remastered HDCD edition in mini LP sleeve including OBI.
The tracklisting is the same as the version from 2008.
Did anybody buy this and is there a difference in sound?
And PS - I don't have the new version! Sorry I forgot to mention that in my response! I don't have any of the mini-sleeve versions.

thanxal
06-22-2018, 10:37 AM
Disgusting behaviour. This forum could really use some proper law and order. Have you ever thought maybe, just maybe, there are those that DO mind!? :p
Next you're asking for $25 billion for a wall around the DRATS sub-forum. LOL!

jobucats
06-22-2018, 12:28 PM
I think record companies submit their recordings for Grammy consideration.

Re other non-single Motown nominations, that same year [[1972), Valerie Simpson's THERE IS A GOD was nominated for Best Soul Gospel Performance.

Thanks for the information.

RanRan79
06-22-2018, 12:50 PM
No way would i have released "come together" and "long and winding road", but had that pair been binned and replaced with a couple of stronger songs we could have had a pretty decent album.

Yes, replace those two cuts with two other songs- perhaps two of the Bones Howe cuts- and I would say the album would be even stronger. The big hurdle was the promotion. Perhaps the most idiotic sequence of album and single releases by any one artist by a label. Gordy and company sure could do some stupid stuff sometimes.

RanRan79
06-22-2018, 01:04 PM

Academy members and record labels submit recordings for consideration. Then the recording goes through a screening process where hundreds of experts determine whether the song meets the requirements to be included in a specific field [[as an example, "Call Me" being nominated for R&B vs pop or jazz). Next the recording is put up for a vote by the academy members whose specialty is the music in the nominated category. And then of course there's the final vote where all members get to cast their vote for the "best", which culminates in the telecast.

Now whether an academy member nominated "Call Me" or Motown did, is a good question. It would seem more likely that Motown would nominate a single release as opposed to an album cut that itself was a cover of a big hit, so I wonder if someone outside the label did that. But the fact that Diana's version made it all the way through to final balloting says a lot for the respect her version must have received.

RanRan79
06-22-2018, 01:06 PM

Yeah I thought about it and I said "fuck 'em".:cool:

RanRan79
06-22-2018, 01:07 PM
Next you're asking for $25 billion for a wall around the DRATS sub-forum. LOL!

Only way that wall gets built is if the main Motown forum pays for it.:p

thanxal
06-22-2018, 01:55 PM
Only way that wall gets built is if the main Motown forum pays for it.:p
Oh sure, encourage child hostages. Does this mean we'll hold the Jackson 5 hostage at the border of DRATSylvania? Really, Ran. Is this what you want? [lol].

RanRan79
06-22-2018, 03:40 PM
Oh sure, encourage child hostages. Does this mean we'll hold the Jackson 5 hostage at the border of DRATSylvania? Really, Ran. Is this what you want? [lol].

The J5, Little Lisa, Chico, Joy, Berry, Terry and any of the other children hanging around. Whatever it takes.;)

thanxal
06-22-2018, 04:32 PM
The J5, Little Lisa, Chico, Joy, Berry, Terry and any of the other children hanging around. Whatever it takes.;)
14340I don't really care. Do u?