PDA

View Full Version : What Band is Backing Up this Song

test

jobucats
06-19-2018, 08:42 AM
I was just revisiting the Supremes' performance of "Love is Like An Itching in My Heart" on the Ed Sullivan Show. The band is absolutely killing it. Although I know the Sullivan show had its own orchestra/band, I wonder:

Door # 1. Did Berry, through cooperation with the Ed Sullivan music director, call in his own Motown house of instrumentalists [[either some of the Funk Brothers or a Motown traveling band) to play live with/or instead of the Sullivan house band?
OR
Door # 2. Was this a prerecorded instrumental by the Motown band created especially for the show?
OR
Door #3. Hmmm.......something else.

Monty Hall, I am choosing Door # 1 ..... No, Door # 2.....No, Door #1

What say ye? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi5-CjEhllY

RanRan79
06-20-2018, 11:11 AM
I never thought about it before, but you're right, the band is kickin in a way that the girls usually weren't backed up when doing the hits. I have no idea who's behind it though. Is this the only known live performance of "Itchin" by the group [[as opposed to solo performances)?

reese
06-20-2018, 11:18 AM
Is this the only known live performance of "Itchin" by the group [[as opposed to solo performances)?

I believe it is listed in at least one souvenir program. But when the 2000 boxed set was released, I recall Harry Weinger saying that one of his regrets while putting that set together was that he couldn't find a live recording of this song in the vaults.

I gather the song might be a favorite of the girls. Diana used its original backing track to open her 1977 tv special, as well as performing it circa 1981-1989 in her Supremes medley. Mary used to perform it as well.

George Solomon
06-20-2018, 12:54 PM
I may have said this before. When we mixed the 1966 Roostertail homecoming show for the I HEAR A SYMPHONY EXPANDED [[which I think is the ultimate Supremes concert) we discovered that they returned for yet another encore after "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You." But just as they got back to the stage, the playoff music stopped and Diana began to speak the tape ran out! We've always wondered if that final encore was "Love Is Like An Itching." It was such a recent single. [[The latest in that concert is "You Can't Hurry Love.") Also, it's listed in both the 1966 and 1967 tour book, not that they were entirely accurate. Maybe, someday we'll find it. Things keep popping up all the time...

PeaceNHarmony
06-20-2018, 01:06 PM
I may have said this before. When we mixed the 1966 Roostertail homecoming show for the I HEAR A SYMPHONY EXPANDED [[which I think is the ultimate Supremes concert) we discovered that they returned for yet another encore after "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You." But just as they got back to the stage, the playoff music stopped and Diana began to speak the tape ran out! We've always wondered if that final encore was "Love Is Like An Itching." It was such a recent single. [[The latest in that concert is "You Can't Hurry Love.") Also, it's listed in both the 1966 and 1967 tour book, not that they were entirely accurate. Maybe, someday we'll find it. Things keep popping up all the time...
Thanks as always for your participation here as well as your efforts for the wonderful expanded editions. They are a joy.

George Solomon
06-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Thanks as always for your participation here as well as your efforts for the wonderful expanded editions. They are a joy.

You are very welcome and thank YOU. It's a joy to put them together. I think SUPREMES SING HOLLAND DOZIER HOLLAND/LIVE AT THE COPA 1967 won't disappoint. Also, the interview with the very gracious Lamont Dozier in the booklet is terrific. We sent him the tracks prior to the interview and he gave his recollections of each song and more!

RanRan79
06-20-2018, 02:07 PM
We sent him the tracks prior to the interview and he gave his recollections of each song and more!

Oh, this ought to be worth the entire price of the set!! Can't wait!