PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite Gladys Knight and the Pips songs?

test

Coppelia-Birdsong
06-13-2018, 01:58 PM
My top 3 are:

3. Midnight Train to Georgia
2. If I were your Woman
1. I've Got to Use My Imagination

TomatoTom123
06-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Lol, don't take this the wrong way CP, but this could and probably should go in the Motown forum! :D

Anyway I'd add "The End Of Our Road" [[funkaaaay!) and "The Nitty Gritty" to your [[already great) list. Also an honourable mention for "He's My Kind Of Fellow" and "Got Myself A Good Man"... :)

Luciano
06-13-2018, 10:22 PM
I have many but here are ten I am thinking of right now:

1. I Heard It Through The Grapevine
2. If I Were Your Woman
3. Neither One of Us
4. Midnight Train To Georgia
5. Part Time Love
6. I've Got To Use My Imagination
7. The Makings of You
8. Make Yours A Happy Home
9. Don't Make Me Run Away
10. Oh What A Love I Have Found

daviddesper
06-13-2018, 11:25 PM
Tomatotom:

Thanks for mentioning Got Myself a Good Man. Great song and in my opinion better than most of their Motown hits. I would put Friendship Train pretty high on the list too.

vgalindo
06-14-2018, 12:32 AM
Midnight train to Georgia
Every beat of my heart
Neither one of us
Baby don't change my mind
Walk softly
What if I should ever need you
I've got to use my imagination

Well too many to list. I love so many.

Ngroove
06-14-2018, 04:37 AM
1. The Nitty Gritty
2. I Feel A Song [[In My Heart)
3. Friendship Train
4. Make Yours A Happy Home
5. Save The Overtime [[For Me)

PeaceNHarmony
06-14-2018, 05:55 AM
Hmmm ... will take me a while to winnow it down - love all the songs already listed - perhaps 'If I ....' would be #1, though -

PeaceNHarmony
06-14-2018, 05:56 AM
[QUOTE=TomatoTom123;463813]Lol, don't take this the wrong way CP, but this could and probably should go in the Motown forum! :D

Anyway I'd add "The End Of Our Road" [[funkaaaay!) and "The Nitty Gritty" to your [[already great) list. Also an honourable mention for "He's My Kind Of Fellow" and "Got Myself A Good Man"... :)[/QUOTE
DRAT you, you vicious troublemaker !!!:D

PeaceNHarmony
06-14-2018, 07:21 AM
Lol, don't take this the wrong way CP, but this could and probably should go in the Motown forum! :D

Anyway I'd add "The End Of Our Road" [[funkaaaay!) and "The Nitty Gritty" to your [[already great) list. Also an honourable mention for "He's My Kind Of Fellow" and "Got Myself A Good Man"... :)
Thomas. Upon further consideration. It is clearly apparent that this item should be in the new DRATS thread, because, of course, GKATP recorded on the Gordy label, which was financed largely by the success of afore-mentioned DRATS. I guess it COULD be on the Motown banner as Gordy was a subsidiary of Motown ... But then again, GKATP recorded for VeeJay BEFORE Gordy, and other labels AFTER, so that would eliminate the Motown sector of the forum as a logical listing place. I guess the Clubhouse could be an anodyne answer, as it does indeed involve 'favorite records', but not too many members seem to visit the Clubhouse. I have a vague thought of eliminating all the separate Forums and simply having one open forum - that would indeed be a great stress reliever to the several members who obsess [[as you allude to) over which Forum a thread is listed in - and that way it would be each member's individual responsibility to read/enter each thread in which they have interest and, more importantly, simply ignore those threads in which they do not have an interest! But then again ... individual responsibilty? Crazy thought, right?? Anyhoo, I, too, am a great fan of the funky side of GKATP regardless of whichsoever forum their music appears in! As always, best to you!

snakepit
06-14-2018, 08:10 AM
Seems sensible to place a thread about a group who recorded for several record label here.
Furthermore, a post about GK&TPs will not attract dozens of tit for tat arguments from fanatics/obsessives which would then ruin the SD forum.

Favourites ? Giving Up, Stop and get a hold of myself...pre Motown
Part Time Love..post Motown

Motown..so many but like "Somebody stole the sunshine" a lot.

TomatoTom123
06-14-2018, 11:44 AM
DRAT you, you vicious troublemaker !!!:D

haaaaaaa
I only stand up for what I consider to be right and proper in the world of online forums, as you know PNH :p

TomatoTom123
06-14-2018, 11:49 AM
Thomas. Upon further consideration. It is clearly apparent that this item should be in the new DRATS thread, because, of course, GKATP recorded on the Gordy label, which was financed largely by the success of afore-mentioned DRATS. I guess it COULD be on the Motown banner as Gordy was a subsidiary of Motown ... But then again, GKATP recorded for VeeJay BEFORE Gordy, and other labels AFTER, so that would eliminate the Motown sector of the forum as a logical listing place. I guess the Clubhouse could be an anodyne answer, as it does indeed involve 'favorite records', but not too many members seem to visit the Clubhouse. I have a vague thought of eliminating all the separate Forums and simply having one open forum - that would indeed be a great stress reliever to the several members who obsess [[as you allude to) over which Forum a thread is listed in - and that way it would be each member's individual responsibility to read/enter each thread in which they have interest and, more importantly, simply ignore those threads in which they do not have an interest! But then again ... individual responsibilty? Crazy thought, right?? Anyhoo, I, too, am a great fan of the funky side of GKATP regardless of whichsoever forum their music appears in! As always, best to you!

Ah this made me laugh out loud PNH.
Now here's a question for you: what forum should discussion of the forum and its various subforums go in? So many layers to this.
Of course... I joke :D

TomatoTom123
06-14-2018, 11:57 AM
Tomatotom:

Thanks for mentioning Got Myself a Good Man. Great song and in my opinion better than most of their Motown hits. I would put Friendship Train pretty high on the list too.

Hey no problem david, I was reluctant to mention it at first as it wasn't a classic or a hit even, but it's a great lil song. "Friendship Train" is also fantastic, now that one is definitely more of a classic! :D

soulster
06-14-2018, 01:45 PM
In no particular order:

I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Friendship Train
You Need Love Like I Do [[Don't You)
Midnight Train To Georgia
I've Got To Use My Imagination
Make Yours A Happy Home
Try To Remember/The Way We Were
Part Time Love
Bourgie Bourgie
Taste Of Bitter Love
Save the Overtime For Me

lucky2012
06-14-2018, 08:14 PM
1. I Heard It Through the Grapevine [[
Grapevine was my intro to Gladys [[in junior high) and I've loved her since!)
2. Neither One of Us [[perfection! - vocal performance, production)
3. Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me [[Gladys breathes soul into a great pop song)

sansradio
06-14-2018, 08:26 PM
To many of the aforementioned, I’ll add:

Master of My Mind
And This Is Love
This Child Needs Its Father
Daddy Could Swear, I Declare
and [[post-Motown)
On and On

PeaceNHarmony
06-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Ah this made me laugh out loud PNH.
Now here's a question for you: what forum should discussion of the forum and its various subforums go in? So many layers to this.
Of course... I joke :D
We MUST have a subforum of forums on which to discuss the deliniations of forumation which has evolved for the devolution of toleration of safe spaceness! Or something.

PeaceNHarmony
06-15-2018, 10:09 AM
I cede to everyone who has listed favorites; they area all excellent, and there are far too many - though the entire IIWYW remains a favorite lp. A lesser-known fav is 'How Can You Say That Ain't Love' - superb on the lp and a pulse-raiser as a concert opener in the 70's.

midnightman
06-15-2018, 10:43 AM
Hard to pick out a top ten or twenty. Too many tracks lol

But if I was to put a top ten/twenty of their most essential cuts, it would be [[and this is not in any order either):

1.) I Heard It Through the Grapevine
2.) Every Beat of My Heart
3.) Giving Up
4.) Friendship Train
5.) Nitty Gritty
6.) Didn't You Know You'd Have to Cry Sometimes
7.) If I Were Your Woman
8.) Neither One of Us [[Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye)
9.) Midnight Train to Georgia
10.) Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me
11.) Save the Overtime [[For Me)
12.) It Should Have Been Me
13.) I Don't Wanna Do Wrong
14.) Try to Remember/The Way We Were
15.) I've Really Got to Use My Imagination
16.) Landlord
17.) You're Number One [[In My Book)
18.) Love Overboard
19.) Make Me the Woman That You Go Home To
20.) The Makings of You

----
As noticed, there are more tracks I didn't name because it's hard to put them all in a top 20. They're a true Hall of Fame act!

JimBagley
06-15-2018, 10:57 AM
I Feel A Song
Part Time Love
On And On
Landlord
If I Were Your Woman
Make Yours A Happy Home

nathanj06
06-15-2018, 02:07 PM
What a delicious thread.

1. I Heard It Through The Grapevine
2. The End Of Our Road
3. It Should Have Been Me
4. Didn't You Know
5. The Nitty Gritty
6. Friendship Train
7. You Need Love Like I Do
8. If I Were Your Woman
9. I Don't Want To Do Wrong
10.Neither One Of Us
11. Midnight Train
12. Imagination
13. Love Overboard
14. License To Kill [[Solo)

144man
06-15-2018, 02:17 PM
1. If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love
2. Didn't You Know [[You'd Have to Cry Some Time)
3. Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me

144man
06-15-2018, 02:20 PM
We MUST have a subforum of forums on which to discuss the deliniations of forumation which has evolved for the devolution of toleration of safe spaceness! Or something.

Just don't get me started on "safe space" and the poor little darlings of the so-called "snowflake generation":rolleyes:

vgalindo
06-16-2018, 12:00 AM
I also would put "I feel a song in my heart" on my top 10.

midnightman
06-16-2018, 12:25 AM
I Feel A Song in My Heart is that knock. So is Make Yours a Happy Home!!! In fact the ENTIRE Claudine soundtrack was genius. I could listen to Gladys sing "The Makings of You" all day WITH and WITHOUT the music [[Curtis' original is okay but you can see why some of his compositions are better when someone else sings it).

soulster
06-16-2018, 03:39 AM
I Feel A Song in My Heart is that knock. So is Make Yours a Happy Home!!! In fact the ENTIRE Claudine soundtrack was genius. I could listen to Gladys sing "The Makings of You" all day WITH and WITHOUT the music [[Curtis' original is okay but you can see why some of his compositions are better when someone else sings it).

True, dat! The group out out their best work during the 1973-1975 era, IMO.

vgalindo
06-16-2018, 09:43 PM
I agree 💯. They were my favorite group during this time period.

luke
06-16-2018, 11:28 PM
Neither One of us...simply sublime
All Our Love
I’ve got to use my imagination
If I were your woman
Midnight train
I feel a Song
Grapevine
You’re the Best thing.
Save the Overtime

midnightman
06-17-2018, 11:41 PM

No arguments here!

jack020
06-20-2018, 02:27 AM
No Help Me Make It Through The Night?:)