PDA

View Full Version : Florence Ballard Movie - Contacts Wanted

test

jobeterob
02-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Rick Bueche has been asked to participate in the movie on Flo and is looking for fans/friends who LEGITIMATELY knew Flo and Tommy in the last years.

He says I can then forward responses to him however most of you can reach him directly. He occasionally reads SD but does not participate anymore. He would like everyone to note that he has never received one dime for anything he's done and he told the producers he would not accept any money for this project either...Flo's daughters will receive it.

These are his words; not mine.

We tried to privately, through SD, contact a couple of people who knew Florence or Tommy; however, they don't post much anymore. Hopefully they will now see this.

miss_lish
02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Nice to hear the daughters will receive proceeds from the film.

Roberta75
02-10-2011, 02:11 PM
What movie about Flo Ballard is this miss_lish or jobeterob?

randy_russi
02-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Peter Benjaminson, who wrote the book on Florence, The Lost Supreme, knew her. He did extensive interviews with her,
which he used in much of his book. He should contact Peter if he hasn't already.

marybrewster
02-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Why doesn't Rick Bueche post here anymore?

captainjames
02-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Hi Rob
What exactly does he [[Rick) want to know ? There are still some Motown folks around that were in touch with Flo and Tommy before they left us. Also, if I am not mistaken there are still some residents on Shaftsbury that were in touch with Flo before she passed.

jobeterob
02-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Captain, I'll get you in touch so he and you can discuss.

This is about the movie based on the Benjaminson book; the producers I gather are involving Rick. A couple of people have been put in touch already I hope.

Mary..........Rick left for the reason a lot of people have left; too much bickering; no acceptance of a different viewpoint; that kind of thing. I know you are aware of what I am referring to.

theboyfromxtown
02-10-2011, 07:15 PM
That's a shame about Rick. I didn't know.

Rick has been around for a long time and there's much that younger fans could learn from him.

elegant_soul
02-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Rick is alot of fun and has shared so much on many things Motown. I'm wishing him the best on his latest project!

Kamasu_Jr
02-10-2011, 07:35 PM
That's a shame about Rick. I didn't know.

Rick has been around for a long time and there's much that younger fans could learn from him.

I agree. Someone as important and knowlegable as Rick got away from the forum and look what we got instead.

jobeterob
02-10-2011, 09:00 PM
It's a shame about Rick. But he is on Facebook and all the Soul Music guys are on Facebook and you can hook up with the likes of Dennis Edwards, Contours, Al Greene, former Temptations, FLOS, Marvelettes, Martha Reeves, Valerie Simpson etc. Martha Reeves is on there herself and stays in pretty constant contact. You only add friends and many people will speak more openly in private. But I would miss the "back and forth" of SD!

Rick is thriving I'm sure; he obviously is still in demand.

I think the movie still has some huge hurdles to face and we are being naive if we think something will rollout like Dreamgirls. But it might be less of a story and more close to the basics and reality.

Thanks for the laugh Kamasu; how could I not laugh at "and look what we got!"

Another great loss for SD was the loss of your father from SD ~ a man who was there, who has real connections and the balls to stand up and say so. Many of us wish he would return too.

theboyfromxtown
02-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Three cheers for Motown_Fan [[aka Kamasu Warrior)

topdiva1
02-11-2011, 08:32 AM
When finished this movie will likely leave many questions still unanswered - for that,s how legends are. And if nothing else the story of Flo Ballard is very sad, moving, and is what becomes a legend most.

miss_lish
02-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Once again, Tony Turner speaks with knowledge, authority, and great depth. Well done!

jobeterob
02-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Three more cheers for Motown Fan [[Kamasu Warrior). You gotta love the name; and I honestly don't know what it means. But I've heard he was around "from the beginning of Motown" which makes him special.

I think the SD guys have dealt with these questions and this thread pretty well and maybe they will eventually contribute something to the legacy of Florence Ballard.

Roberta75
02-11-2011, 01:42 PM
When finished this movie will likely leave many questions still unanswered - for that,s how legends are. And if nothing else the story of Flo Ballard is very sad, moving, and is what becomes a legend most.

What Florence Ballard movie is this? Who playing Flo and who is playing Barbara Martin?

miss_lish
02-11-2011, 02:34 PM
This is the link to the Facebook page about the movie, Miss Roberta. I don't think the part of Barbara has been cast yet; but it is being produced by Jesus.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blondie-The-Florence-Ballard-Story/115757185155264

Roberta75
02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
This is the link to the Facebook page about the movie, Miss Roberta. I don't think the part of Barbara has been cast yet; but it is being produced by Jesus.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blondie-The-Florence-Ballard-Story/115757185155264

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not miss_lish but in my life Jesus Christ the almighty is the producer of everything. Whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

miss_lish
02-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Miss Lish was being completely serious. Check out the Facebook page; this is indeed a Jesus production.

Roberta75
02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Miss Lish was being completely serious. Check out the Facebook page; this is indeed a Jesus production.

Then I apologize miss_lish. It's just that I take my almighty savior very seriously.

miss_lish
02-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Of course, my darling; we all do.

Did you check out the page? Casting is being heavily debated. There may be something there about Barbara's role. But I must admit, I don't know much about her, so it would be nice if they cast her in the movie and talked about her life some. I wonder if she stayed in touch with Flo through it all?

Roberta75
02-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Of course, my darling; we all do.

Did you check out the page? Casting is being heavily debated. There may be something there about Barbara's role. But I must admit, I don't know much about her, so it would be nice if they cast her in the movie and talked about her life some. I wonder if she stayed in touch with Flo through it all?

From what I know of Barbara Martin she seems like the kind of lady that would stay in touch with her former groupmates.
She may even have massaged Florence Ballard's feet after she got her Podiatrist's license.

I will definitely check out the facebook page. Maybe Melinda Doolittle could play Barbara Martin.

theboyfromxtown
02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Do you think Miss Lish might get a part in this production from Jesus?

Roberta75
02-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Do you think Miss Lish might get a part in this production from Jesus?

Please don't mock Jesus. For many of us he is the way, the truth, and the life.

miss_lish
02-11-2011, 07:37 PM
No dear; Miss Lish is a diva; she doesn't do ensemble. ;o)

theboyfromxtown
02-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Please don't mock Jesus. For many of us he is the way, the truth, and the life.

Roberta75 - I'd be obliged if you would show me a little more respect. I did not mock and I have no intention of doing so. I cannot be held responsible if a production company wants to use a name that is famous elsewhere. This is a music site that discusses music. And that was what my post was about - music.

Roberta75
02-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Roberta75 - I'd be obliged if you would show me a little more respect. I did not mock and I have no intention of doing so. I cannot be held responsible if a production company wants to use a name that is famous elsewhere. This is a music site that discusses music. And that was what my post was about - music.

I didn't mean to disrespect you theboyfromxtown it's just that i take my lord and saviour very seriously and hold him close in my heart. It is clear to me that Jesus and Jesus alone is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

Please accept my sincere apology.

If this Flo ballard movie company is mocking the son of God then they will surely reap what they sow.

theboyfromxtown
02-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Thank you.

Roberta75
02-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Thank you.

You welcome theboyfromxtown. Go in peace and have a blessed and beautiful weekend.

robbert
02-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Short fuses are indeed everyhere these days... if someone can upset John [[Xtown) you really must be something else!

I have a dream.
With al due respect to all people who have something or someone special or precious in their lives: please, don't feel offended if a name gets mentioned out of the context that you normally use it in.
I have a dream.
Please, stop being so short fused, what's up with people? I DO know it's hard times for millions on this planet, but please don't lose sight on all the things that are right, being done right, are being made right or always have been right. Count your blessings, I know I am blessed every day I wake up in the morning.
I have a dream.
Imagine there's no ....

Feel free, step in.
Step into that train, that friendship train.

marybrewster
02-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Any word on how this epic bio movie is moving along?

marybrewster
02-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Their last post from Facebook was several weeks ago.

Spirit of life Films would like to thank everybody for supporting their movement. See you at the theater 2011!!! GO WITH THE FLO:)
January 26 at 11:16am · LikeUnlike ·

How will we see this movie in 2011 if they haven't even cast the roles yet? Unless it's a rush job.

jobeterob
02-14-2011, 12:55 PM
I will ask Rick and see what he has to say.

Maybe we can get him to come back to Soulful Detroit.

Looks like this will be a tough haul to get this done right.

smark21
02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Their last post from Facebook was several weeks ago.

Spirit of life Films would like to thank everybody for supporting their movement. See you at the theater 2011!!! GO WITH THE FLO:)
January 26 at 11:16am · LikeUnlike ·

How will we see this movie in 2011 if they haven't even cast the roles yet? Unless it's a rush job.

Or it's a two character type movie like My Dinner with Andre.

topdiva1
02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Any word on how this epic bio movie is moving along?

I would not use the word " EPIC " - but I understand - due to legal rights, and stuff, and things it is moving ahead, and will get done - BUT - some people must be satisfied first.

jive_turkey
02-15-2011, 11:03 AM
The summer of "11" does seem a bit rushed!

topdiva1
02-15-2011, 11:10 AM
The summer of "11" does seem a bit rushed!

They will not make this date - and cannot afford to rush this important project.

jobeterob
02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm not privy to anything all the rest of you aren't but at least people are interested, volunteering and asking for participants and asking questions. But yes, they've got a job here to either deal with people or make it a one or two character show. In any case, it must be thrilling for the family to see the interest.

midnightman
02-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I predict this film may be pushed to 2012. I still don't see it coming out this year.

topdiva1
02-16-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm not privy to anything all the rest of you aren't but at least people are interested, volunteering and asking for participants and asking questions. But yes, they've got a job here to either deal with people or make it a one or two character show. In any case, it must be thrilling for the family to see the interest.

It is not going to be a one or two character film - the family has very little REAL POWER in the production and / or say so - more of a courtesy - figure head deal. And yes there are people to "DEAL WITH". LOL

topdiva1
02-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Why doesn't Rick Bueche post here anymore?

It is my understanding that he was banned from posting here because of his "posting Manners".

I believe he was known as BAYOUMOTOWNMAN - or something like that.

Any way with or without SDF marches on!!!

topdiva1
02-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I agree. Someone as important and knowlegable as Rick got away from the forum and look what we got instead.

He did not as you say "....got away from the forum" he was thrown off - or - so I am told - banned in other words.

topdiva1
02-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I predict this film may be pushed to 2012. I still don't see it coming out this year.

You are very right - maybe even as far back as 2013 - the script while not finished - is already in legal trouble in some camps - and to avoid major lawsuits it will have to be carefully worded, and vetted - to avoid major trouble. The Flo Ballard story is not a pretty one - and no one that was involved with her in a major way wants to come out at this late date looking like a real dog.

It is likely impossible to tell the whole story - however - they do intend to stick to Flos own words - and I think that in and of itself will be enough - for you all to see what really happened.

People are STILL willing to speak on Flo's behalf - but not so quick to sign depositions on what they reveal about the situation - Not many have the guts to go public with the truth. Many are still fearful.

detmotownguy
02-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi Topdiva! As always i enjoyed your posting. Diane made a comment when Dreamgirls came out....said something tounge in cheek bout her lawyers, but nothing was ever done. I envision potential slander suits and who knows what else. Not sure I want to know much more about how Flo was treated. It just hurts too bad. I do not know how these people can sleep at night. It is telling of their character. It apprears that the remaining players from the glory days are scrambling to protect and pretty up their their legacy and forget about past transgressions. At this stage of the game, do you really think Mary would give a crap about a "tell all" movie.

skooldem1
02-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Mary would care if it tells the truth about how she backstabbed Florence.

chestersong
02-16-2011, 03:46 PM
The only place I ever see Mary news is here. Otherwise she has disappeared from celebrityville as only her hang-on fans post her whereabouts. I agree that Mary only wants good press after she saw how her books were received over time and that she is not any nearer to any work with Diana Ross.

marv2
02-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I feel as long as they tell the truth, the verifiable truth they have nothing to worry about. I also think it is a good idea to publicize whom; what parties are threating the film. Just put it out there so that people will know............

Let those that attempt to oppose this film legally take the risk of having concrete proof surface.

topdiva1
02-16-2011, 07:55 PM
The only place I ever see Mary news is here. Otherwise she has disappeared from celebrityville as only her hang-on fans post her whereabouts. I agree that Mary only wants good press after she saw how her books were received over time and that she is not any nearer to any work with Diana Ross.

Mary likely is NOT INTERESTED in working with Diana Ross any more than Diana Ross is in working with Mary Wilson. It is the fans that want it - not the ladies. Mary will say so to keep the fans interested - Ross will say no to keep the fire burning.

topdiva1
02-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Mary would care if it tells the truth about how she backstabbed Florence.

I think that was already told in Tony Turner's All That Glittered My Life With The Supremes. That is old news that hardly raises and eye brow. now,

theboyfromxtown
02-16-2011, 08:44 PM
I've been riding your tail on your most recent posts...but I have slipped off with this one! Ouch! *smile*

It may be old news to the well informed but it can and probably will be regurgitated and made to look new and fresh yet again.......as you kind of suggested earlier......that's what PR is all about.

jobeterob
02-16-2011, 09:33 PM
My recollection is that in one of the huge Supremes spats, Rick clashed with Ralph over Suzanne dePasse and asked to be banned ~ but it was instigated by one of "attendees at the bitter parties". Rick had previously asked that I clarify that he had been banned.

I wonder if Tommy Chapman is alive and I assume he will require money for this; I wonder if everyone other than Diana Ross would require money? And why on earth would she agree to be portrayed in this movie? She is the NAME they need in it unless it is going to be a "college, arty, boutique" type of movie; and maybe it is.

I dont think the usual unhappy people should turn this thread ugly but then, on Supremes threads it is the popular thing to do.

Chestersong ~ a breath of fresh air and clarity and sadly, truth. It is also getting to be very true about the Supremes in general.

Rick has had some interest generated here; I dont know if anything came of it; I haven't been told. But he obviously is highly enough regarded to be approached and he has managed to have other TV shows made.

So we've had successes by Randy, TopDiva, Rick, Ian Phillips, Tom Ahdratus [[sp?) and whoever wrote Diana's Dogs [[a good book).

topdiva1
02-16-2011, 10:25 PM
^Tommy Chapman is long dead - as written in both Mary Wilson's and Tony Turner's books - although the way he died has been put in question - but he is dead.

detmotownguy
02-16-2011, 10:28 PM
I doubt Mary is regrettful nor ashamed about writing her books as she mentions and sells them at her concerts. And yes, suffice to say, she has plenty of exposure and publicity.

topdiva1
02-16-2011, 10:29 PM
I've been riding your tail on your most recent posts...but I have slipped off with this one! Ouch! *smile*

It may be old news to the well informed but it can and probably will be regurgitated and made to look new and fresh yet again.......as you kind of suggested earlier......that's what PR is all about.

You are right - and it will be interesting to see just how Mary Wilson comes off in the Flo Ballard movie - I believe she will come off well - I do not believe even Flo would have wanted Diana or Mary to come out too badly. There are ways in which the truth can be told without malice and disgrace to those still living.

But sometimes the truth is better left unsaid.

detmotownguy
02-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Well said Topdiva1. But if this movie comes to fruition, the producers will prob let the influence of threat guide their motivations. Unless, as Marv suggested, "...as long as they tell the truth, the verifiable truth they have nothing to worry about. I also think it is a good idea to publicize whom; what parties are threating the film. Just put it out there so that people will know............".

marv2
02-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Well said Topdiva1. But if this movie comes to fruition, the producers will prob let the influence of threat guide their motivations. Unless, as Marv suggested, "...as long as they tell the truth, the verifiable truth they have nothing to worry about. I also think it is a good idea to publicize whom; what parties are threating the film. Just put it out there so that people will know............".

Exactly! Maybe now some of the people that were making fun understand what all the praying has been about........

detmotownguy
02-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Oh the impact of a potential movie.....church will make a comeback of sorts..........with admittance of sin and forgiveness in abundance......

topdiva1
02-17-2011, 11:38 AM
I was told that certainly Flo Ballard will want her story told in all of it's truth - as it pertained to her. Ms. Ballard's views of her own personal relationship with Motown and the other Supreme's is already well known through her recorded interviews with Mr. Benjaminson. Likel the script will not move away from Ms. Ballard's very own spoken words.

I have been told - by one who would know - that Ms. Ballard was a very forgiven person, like Ms. Wilson as well - and would not seek to harm anyone through the telling of her own story. But still would want the facts know - and the viewer can judge for themselves.

I was further informed that Ms. Ballard would likely be very upset, believe it or not, about some of the harsh things being said about her former co workers, Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, - although she felt she had treated her unfairly, in the end Flo Ballard had no bitterness against them. It was said that most of her bitterness was directed - to the very end towards Mr. Gordy, who Ms. Ballard felt was the real culprit behind her dismissal from The Supremes - and the subsequent legal mess and battles that followed.

jobeterob
02-17-2011, 01:54 PM
The boss is always the guy that takes the hits but as we know now, he is also the guy that makes the big bucks ~ so taking the hits is fair.

topdiva1
02-17-2011, 03:32 PM
The search continues- and my source reports that - many of the people that knew Flo are more than happy to come forth with stories that they personally shared with Ms. Ballard. However, I was told that almost none of them want to do the legal depositions required, and sign that the story is indeed true, so that there stories can be used.

What the producers are looking for are intimate detailed stories of what Flo went through, or feelings she expressed AFTER her departure from The Supremes. Stories on her marriage, lifestyle, recordings, struggles, fears, hopes, and dreams.

This is a chance to be heard on Flo's behalf if you have verifiable information.

marv2
02-17-2011, 04:34 PM
The boss is always the guy that takes the hits but as we know now, he is also the guy that makes the big bucks ~ so taking the hits is fair.

Sometimes he is also the one that screws people over....................to be fair.

marv2
02-17-2011, 04:37 PM
The search continues- and my source reports that - many of the people that knew Flo are more than happy to come forth with stories that they personally shared with Ms. Ballard. However, I was told that almost none of them want to do the legal depositions required, and sign that the story is indeed true, so that there stories can be used.

What the producers are looking for are intimate detailed stories of what Flo went through, or feelings she expressed AFTER her departure from The Supremes. Stories on her marriage, lifestyle, recordings, struggles, fears, hopes, and dreams.

This is a chance to be heard on Flo's behalf if you have verifiable information.

That is key! Verifiable! They should pull up whatever Michigan State Welfare Office records from the period. Also any police reports that may still exist of the muggings Florence experienced.

juicefree20
02-17-2011, 05:22 PM
The truth is that most often, you'll rarely ever see a totally honest depiction of anything in these movies & that's for several reasons.

For one thing, as we've seen in several movies from 'The Temptations' to 'Cadillac Records', Hollywood has he need to take creative license with these type of things. Sometimes the truth isn't glamorous enough, or may not provide the type of conclusion, nor storyline that the writer/producer wants to give us. So, most often, we get embellishments & outright twisting of known facts, ala. Etta recording 'I'd Rather Go Blind' in the studio on the same day that Mr. Chess died.

Another problem & likely the greatest impediment, is giving people information which may prove to be unflattering to others, without being able to PROVE what is being said. Telling the truth is not necessarily the problem...being able to PROVE it often is.

Beyond that, telling the truth can often be extremely hazardous to ones health. You never know exactly who you may piss off & unlike what many believe, it may not be the big names who will get mad or offended. It may be their friends or even fans who will take the greatest offense.

I believe that the records of years of fights on internet forums may bear this out.

marv2
02-17-2011, 05:33 PM
The truth is that most often, you'll rarely ever see a totally honest depiction of anything in these movies & that's for several reasons.

For one thing, as we've seen in several movies from 'The Temptations' to 'Cadillac Records', Hollywood has he need to take creative license with these type of things. Sometimes the truth isn't glamorous enough, or may not provide the type of conclusion, nor storyline that the writer/producer wants to give us. So, most often, we get embellishments & outright twisting of known facts, ala. Etta recording 'I'd Rather Go Blind' in the studio on the same day that Mr. Chess died.

Another problem & likely the greatest impediment, is giving people information which may prove to be unflattering to others, without being able to PROVE what is being said. Telling the truth is not necessarily the problem...being able to PROVE it often is.

Beyond that, telling the truth can often be extremely hazardous to ones health. You never know exactly who you may piss off & unlike what many believe, it may not be the big names who will get mad or offended. It may be their friends or even fans who will take the greatest offense.

I believe that the records of years of fights on internet forums may bear this out.

Great post Juice!

detmotownguy
02-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Right Marv! In highly autocratic organizations, a coercive leader will use his or her positional power to abuse and control their subordinates; especially when there are limited options for other employment. These types of situations are generally are like a shooting star and have limited longevity, characterized by high stress levels. Therefore, a certain amount of reinvention and change needs to occur as an attempt to keep eveyone motivated. Not a good for fit for anyone except the favorites and even those individuals can turn on you.

juicefree20
02-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Thank you Marv

As for myself, if I were a person who achieved a modicum of fame, I wouldn't want there to be a one-sided bashfest against me. On the other hand, I wouldn't want anyone to paint a picture of perfection, for the simple reason that that's not true to my life.

What I WOULD want, is a fair & balanced story, warts & all.

If those warts are my warts & I'm guilty of whatever, the truth is that if I'm that concerned about what people think of me, then it was up to me to write the story of my life through my deeds & actions.

No matter how I'd try to hide my blemishes, what's done in the dark is always sure to come out into the light someday.

With that as truth, it would've been encumbent upon ME to write a flattering picture of my life based upon how I lived it.

I think that fair & balanced is the most that anyone should ask for or expect.

smark21
02-17-2011, 10:43 PM
That is key! Verifiable! They should pull up whatever Michigan State Welfare Office records from the period. Also any police reports that may still exist of the muggings Florence experienced.

Hopefully the Flo movie will have as many scenes as possible of Flo being victimized.

By the way at the Blondie Flo movie Facebook page, the producers Spirit of Life films have announced they have purchased the rights to make a bio-pic on the life of Madame CJ Walker.

stephanie
02-17-2011, 11:11 PM
If Flo was telling the truth and there are people who dont want to go through legal wrangles there is something I dont understand. We all know Mary and Diana in their own way tried to help Flo. Berry claims he offered her a solo contract, if none of Tommys relatives are around who is the person or people that will be hurt by having her story told?

Topdiva if what you are saying is true what could be said that would tarnish Motown or Berrys reputation unless he is hiding something? Flo admitted to others that she felt it was her fault that she was put out of the group. Im beginning to believe based on what you have said that someone who is associated with Motown or someone in Flos family would be hurt when it comes to their character. If there is no words that would hurt someone why are they afraid of something legal unless it means they will be sued if the individual does not agree with their portrayal.

marv2
02-17-2011, 11:38 PM
If Flo was telling the truth and there are people who dont want to go through legal wrangles there is something I dont understand. We all know Mary and Diana in their own way tried to help Flo. Berry claims he offered her a solo contract, if none of Tommys relatives are around who is the person or people that will be hurt by having her story told?

Topdiva if what you are saying is true what could be said that would tarnish Motown or Berrys reputation unless he is hiding something? Flo admitted to others that she felt it was her fault that she was put out of the group. Im beginning to believe based on what you have said that someone who is associated with Motown or someone in Flos family would be hurt when it comes to their character. If there is no words that would hurt someone why are they afraid of something legal unless it means they will be sued if the individual does not agree with their portrayal.

Stephanie! hehehehehehe......!

miss_lish
02-17-2011, 11:43 PM

I think we should always take Tony Turner's view point against all others, including Florence's.

juicefree20
02-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Stephanie:

Just playing Devil's Advocate again & offering a different perspective from things that I have learned and/or observed...

I can't claim to know what happened to anyone back then, but I've come to understand that in the case of many people, the ENTIRE truth can have a way of painting a very unflattering picture of all involved.

Including victims.

I've come to learn that in most situations like this, sadly, when it involves the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth, no one comes out unscathed, nor without blemish.

To paraphrase a great movie quote, "Most people can't handle the truth!" & sometimes the past should remain where it is...in the past. Especially when revelation will do nothing for anyone concerned. Honestly, I don't believe that anyone will gain anything from any 'expose', as the time for retribution has long since passed.

I believe that even if the worst suspicion were proven to be true, it would prove to be fruitless. That is, other than to give people something else to talk about, while being able to do absolutely nothing about the situation. And again, knowing 'truth' just isn't enough, you also had better be able to prove it.

I doubt that after all of these years, anyone has a 'smoking gun', as it's likely that if they had one, they'd have used it years ago when it might have benefitted them.

Just a thought, offered with the disclaimer that I could very well be wrong.

stephanie
02-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Juice
If only I was as eloquent as you are in your writings. Here is my problem with this whole thing. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Temptations, and many others have had their stories told in movie form. The drug problems and with the Temps and personnel changes with other groups never tarnished the music, and the memories and we even wound up feeling sorry for these people. Lady Sings the Blues showed Ross portraying Billie Holliday [[drug addict) people dont remember her for that though. When we hear these names we dont think of them as druggies.

Now fast forward to Florence the worst thing about her situation is her alcohol and rape problem. Minor happening compared to people like Hendrix and Joplin [[not minor in her life) I mean the perception of her problem. I know this is not the first film to dwell on a musical figure or one who had problems. What I fail to understand is when the movie about the Temps was made I dont remember any legal papers going around or even some of these other films. Did anyone sue when the Frankie Lymon film was made [[although it was hilarious and far fetched)? Is it the image of the Supremes one is worried about? Sorry the books are already out about Motown and Mary admits she was no saint, we know Miss Ross wasnt and we know Flo wasnt. Even if Berry Gordy had an affair with Diana which everyone knows he did and had Rhonda we know the dirt already. The only thing I can see coming out which someone would have to prove is Motown had the mafia behind them which I dont know about or dont care about. Dreamgirl Movie and book by Mary, and stage play has been seen so if there was a tarnish on Ross its already been done by those who think the play, or the book, or the movie made her look bad [[oh thats right its not based on the Supremes..LOL)

What would be great is if the first hour focused on the group and the last hour on Flo or the last 30 minutes. Im thinking when it came to her ABC deal and her singles being squashed
that might be the legal thing. Too much is already out about Motown although its been said Berry paid ABC not to promote her which I h

stephanie
02-18-2011, 12:26 AM
[[continuation) which I highly doubt. Flo was no threat to the Supremes at this point and that may be a conspiracy theory but it would not shock me. The record business then and now has always been very shady so it could have happened. People are not usually afraid to talk especially if something is true so whatever this legal thing is really gets my interest. I will bet you any amount of money if something in this movie is the one bit deragatory about Berry you will see Smokey on tv defending him.

marv2
02-18-2011, 12:43 AM
[[continuation) which I highly doubt. Flo was no threat to the Supremes at this point and that may be a conspiracy theory but it would not shock me. The record business then and now has always been very shady so it could have happened. People are not usually afraid to talk especially if something is true so whatever this legal thing is really gets my interest. I will bet you any amount of money if something in this movie is the one bit deragatory about Berry you will see Smokey on tv defending him.

Stephanie in regards to Smokey, that is a given. I believe that there is something or a situation that is key to telling this story in the this film that is verifiably true, yet it can still do harm to a person living or dead reputation. I think that may be one of the hurdles that the producers have to get around. I for one am not surprised by any of this because I knew it was coming!

marv2
02-18-2011, 12:45 AM
One other thing. They cannot make it look as if Florence's being kicked out of the group and her ultimate demise was mostly her fault because that is not true. Soooooo.................

juicefree20
02-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Stephanie:

I doubt very seriously that Florence had a whole lot to 'reveal' about anyone, nor do I believe that she would've been so malicious to do so if she had. Honestly, I don't know what nor how to feel anymore. The truth is that in many cases, I've learned far more than I ever wanted to about a lot of things. If there were a way for someone to get closure by revealing truths [[which in the final analysis may or not be 'truth' at all), perhaps that might be a good thing.

In this case, regardless of any revelatory information, I simply see no closure possible. Flo has been long gone & no matter what is said, no matter what comes out [[if anything), none of that will help Florence in the least.

I fear that when all is said & done, the only ones that revelation will serve, are those who need grist for the mill who enjoy holding on to these types of things & discussing them. Other than that, considering that these 'offenses' occurred more than 40 years ago, I simply don't see where disclosure will serve anyone, that is, other than those who'd simply like to be able to say 'I told you so!'.

I suspect that the statute of limitation has long since passed & I'm honestly unsure of the benefits to be gained by unveiling these events of long ago. Personally, I believe that if anyone was so grieved by anything, they should've spoken a long time ago. Hell, so many people whom were involved or had intimate knowledge may have long since passed.

Also to be considered is that time has a funny way of changing reality. I know of several people who tell crowds how they've had number one records & have sold millions, when the truth is that their records went cardboard & the only place that their records were number one was in their living rooms. But they've told themselves these things for so long that they have come to believe it. Time tends to do that to some folks.

But the truth is that 'reality' of some people's lives isn't necessarily the way that things actually were.

As I said, I'm just not sure how to feel about this anymore.

detmotownguy
02-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Didn't Florence say something the effect to BG, "You better watch out, I know all about you". Not an exact quote, but I cannnot remember what book that came from. So maybe there are a few "smoking guns", but I highly doubt anything controversial will be used.

But still thinking about Stepahnie's point:"People are not usually afraid to talk especially if something is true so whatever this legal thing is really gets my interest". Stephanie, I might also suggest that Diane's image was tarnsihed long before Mary's diary was published and Dreamgirl's, whether it be the play or the movie. When I was a college co-op student working summers at one of the big three in Detroit, there was much negative talk about her, however still the star at that time.

topdiva1
02-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Just picture what has been said - thought - gossiped - and reported about the Flo Ballard story all these years. If any of that, as we know it, and more is true - would you really want it made into a film?

topdiva1
02-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Didn't Florence say something the effect to BG, "You better watch out, I know all about you". Not an exact quote, but I cannnot remember what book that came from. So maybe there are a few "smoking guns", but I highly doubt anything controversial will be used.

But still thinking about Stepahnie's point:"People are not usually afraid to talk especially if something is true so whatever this legal thing is really gets my interest". Stephanie, I might also suggest that Diane's image was tarnsihed long before Mary's diary was published and Dreamgirl's, whether it be the play or the movie. When I was a college co-op student working summers at one of the big three in Detroit, there was much negative talk about her, however still the star at that time.

Diana Ross was not liked by many even before Flo Ballard was ousted from the Supremes, just as she was adored by many more. The drama around her has made and kept her a star - along with - of course her hard work, talent, and professionalism.

Diana Ross was able to move forward to great heights dispite the fact that she was not loved by all. What strength that must have taken.

Now after all these years to have the Flo Ballard story drug back up on film - wheter it is heavily edited or not - Ross and many others cannot be pleased. No matter what form this Flo Ballard movie finally takes - many in her past are not happy that it may see the light of day - although publicly they will "Put On A Happy Face".

topdiva1
02-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Stephanie:

I doubt very seriously that Florence had a whole lot to 'reveal' about anyone, nor do I believe that she would've been so malicious to do so if she had. Honestly, I don't know what nor how to feel anymore. The truth is that in many cases, I've learned far more than I ever wanted to about a lot of things. If there were a way for someone to get closure by revealing truths [[which in the final analysis may or not be 'truth' at all), perhaps that might be a good thing.

In this case, regardless of any revelatory information, I simply see no closure possible. Flo has been long gone & no matter what is said, no matter what comes out [[if anything), none of that will help Florence in the least.

I fear that when all is said & done, the only ones that revelation will serve, are those who need grist for the mill who enjoy holding on to these types of things & discussing them. Other than that, considering that these 'offenses' occurred more than 40 years ago, I simply don't see where disclosure will serve anyone, that is, other than those who'd simply like to be able to say 'I told you so!'.

I suspect that the statute of limitation has long since passed & I'm honestly unsure of the benefits to be gained by unveiling these events of long ago. Personally, I believe that if anyone was so grieved by anything, they should've spoken a long time ago. Hell, so many people whom were involved or had intimate knowledge may have long since passed.

Also to be considered is that time has a funny way of changing reality. I know of several people who tell crowds how they've had number one records & have sold millions, when the truth is that their records went cardboard & the only place that their records were number one was in their living rooms. But they've told themselves these things for so long that they have come to believe it. Time tends to do that to some folks.

But the truth is that 'reality' of some people's lives isn't necessarily the way that things actually were.

As I said, I'm just not sure how to feel about this anymore.

WOW ALL of your lastest post have been FABULOUS and make a whole lot of sense. Something that is needed here.

topdiva1
02-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Those two share a great love.

topdiva1
02-27-2011, 08:09 PM
The producers are "casting" now - look for perhaps Kelly Rowland as Diana Ross - although she is a much better Mary Wilson look a like.