PDA

View Full Version : Arts, beats & eats

test

glencro
08-12-2010, 02:19 PM
The ARTS, BEATS & EATS Festival will take place Labor Day weekend and this is the first year that it has been moved from Pontiac to Royal Oak. Unfortunately, the line-up is lacking in the R&B area this year as far as major artists are concerned. In the past they have had such artists as Charlie Wilson, Chaka Khan, The Isley Brothers and this year the main major R&B act is Macy Gray...When did she become R&B. Being black doesn't make one R&B. There are some blues and local R&B acts but I wonder if they are in their own way trying to tell US something. Just wondering:

Here's the line up:
http://www.artsbeatseats.com/?q=node/73

mrclemma
08-12-2010, 10:11 PM
I've got my 9mm cleaned, loaded and ready to go.

paladin
08-13-2010, 11:15 AM
War [[not really) but classic rock / WTF ????????????

ms_m
08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Glencro, last I heard Pontiac was in receivership which probably explains the move to Royal Oak. I don't know what Gray's fee is but since she really hasn't been doing much lately I'm going to take a wild guess and say her fee was relatively low, and I KNOW they don't pay big bucks for the local acts.

Keeping the budget and overhead down means the tradition of the festival itself continues albeit without the same musical "ump" of past years. They don't make their money off the acts.

I realize that's my corporate, suit mentality talking versus your, I want to see soul acts but today's economy has changed the landscape for a lot of ventures.

Don't fret, although they may not be big names, your area has some pretty exceptional talent. Maybe you will be the one to discover the next new hot act.:)

marv2
08-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Glencro, I thought they had already had it for this year? Macy Gray? Gitouttahere!

mrclemma
08-15-2010, 03:43 AM
AB&E is always on Labor Day weekend. A group of second amendment yahoos claim they are going to show up openly packing heat. I don't know what the organizers and police are going to do about it but I've got a bad feeling that it will seriously hurt attendance.