PDA

View Full Version : Marvelettes "Please Mr. Postman" 45 With Rare Dust Jacket...?

test

kenneth
05-29-2018, 06:09 PM
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this could be legit? Certainly, from the age and condition of the sleeve it might be, but I've never heard that "Please Mr. Postman" came with a pic sleeve. Anyone able to weigh in who might know for sure?

Here's a link to the Ebay listing where I found it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Marvelettes-Please-Mr-Postman-w-RARE-Pic-Sleeve-7-vinyl-1961-Tamla-45-VG/253617155878?hash=item3b0cc2af26:g:SC0AAOSw63FaLbr k

reese
05-29-2018, 06:13 PM
PLEASE MR. POSTMAN did have a picture sleeve such as this. I can't vouch for whether this specific item is legit but it could be.

kenneth
05-29-2018, 06:32 PM
Thanks Reese! I know there were a few like this on the flat [[not glossy) paper, such as the early pic sleeves for Mary Wells. I guess I'm always surprised when something Motown related as evaded me all these years!

DWSheffer
05-29-2018, 08:16 PM
It looks right to me as it's toned with age as the flat printed sleeves often do....I'm sure it was a less expensive option than the more standard glossy printed sleeves of the time. Interestingly, the "Twistin Postman" sleeve got the more standard glossy cover treatment.
Darin
P.S. I would keep my eyes peeled for a brighter copy that you can most certainly pick up for less!

robb_k
05-30-2018, 01:28 AM
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this could be legit? Certainly, from the age and condition of the sleeve it might be, but I've never heard that "Please Mr. Postman" came with a pic sleeve. Anyone able to weigh in who might know for sure?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Marvelettes-Please-Mr-Postman-w-RARE-Pic-Sleeve-7-vinyl-1961-Tamla-45-VG/253617155878?hash=item3b0cc2af26:g:SC0AAOSw63FaLbr k
I remember that same image on a whiter, non-glossy, but less brown sleeve, which came out on later pressings of "Mr. Postman"[[maybe 4-5 months after its release). I never saw a grocery bag coloured one like that. But, maybe it's just "faded" from age.

mysterysinger
05-30-2018, 08:29 PM
Umm... you could draw a better cover yourself.

kenneth
05-31-2018, 12:59 AM
Umm... you could draw a better cover yourself.

No doubt. But there's something so innocent about those early covers, like the Mary Wells "Bye Bye Baby" with the letter on it, or the one of her in the silhouette under the lamp post on "The One Who Really Loves You," "Cookin' with the Miracles," those early "concept covers" are so evocative of a much more innocent time, to use a cliche.

You know the picture on the cover of the "Twistin' Postman" pic sleeve must have been drawn by the same artist [[okay, hold back on the sarcasm please) as this one, don't you think? It's so similar looking.

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
05-31-2018, 02:43 AM
No doubt. But there's something so innocent about those early covers, like the Mary Wells "Bye Bye Baby" with the letter on it, or the one of her in the silhouette under the lamp post on "The One Who Really Loves You," "Cookin' with the Miracles," those early "concept covers" are so evocative of a much more innocent time, to use a cliche.

You know the picture on the cover of the "Twistin' Postman" pic sleeve must have been drawn by the same artist [[okay, hold back on the sarcasm please) as this one, don't you think? It's so similar looking.

I agree with you on all counts. I like those early covers. Something very human and innocent and sincere about them. The Twisin' Postman cover is one I've always liked. I like how the postman is so involved in twistin' away, he doesn't even realize the letters are falling out of his bag!

carlo
05-31-2018, 09:21 AM
I have seen this picture sleeve throughout the years. The artwork is legit, but as already pointed out, it's hard to say if this particular one being sold is authentic or not.

marv2
05-31-2018, 09:27 AM

That's real. That's legit.