PDA

View Full Version : great memories and thoughts shared on Diana solo live debut show

test

sup_fan
05-24-2018, 03:37 PM
I ran across a wonderful summary of how Diana incorporated the Leading Lady medley into her initial solo live shows. great reading this!! big credit goes to Paul for his wonderful Diana Ross Project site. A fan added some comments to the site's review and summary of On Broadway. Link is at the bottom

Several notes on the Leading Lady medley:

First, the transition into “I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair” borrowed the introduction from “Spooky,” the then-current Classics IV song later covered by Dusty Springfield; this hook was a nod to younger viewers who may not have been familiar with the Broadway classics, and it made the segment accessible, fresh and of the times; it was not stale old material, by any means, and Diana Ross was gorgeous and gorgeously attired and photographed.

Second, when Diana Ross performed this medley in her initial nightclub/concert appearances as a solo artist, it was the centerpiece of her show. She wore a pink long-sleeved minidress, and her two male singer/dancers changed its accessories on stage in a series of quick blackouts as she proceeded from song to song. The pink and white add-ons, presumably designed by Bob Mackie, based on those from this special, included, for instance, a white cowboy hat and gun-and-holster belt for “Doin’ What Comes Natur’lly” and a ruffled floor-length skirt and dainty parasol for “Wouldn’t It Be Loverly.” She wore a flouncy white pinafore and a over-size bow in her hair for “People” and then she, herself, removed these in a teasingly slow, sexy bump-and-grind manner while she vamped through “Let Me Entertain You,” also from Gypsy; this extra routine may have been deemed too suggestive for television, but its presence in her ongoing show may have anticipated and addressed your concern that “Everything’s Coming Up Roses,” the song belonging to Mother Rose was an odd choice. She slipped off stage briefly before returning in a pink crushed velvet/white feather outfit similar to that she wore on the TV special for her “Mame” segment finale. This medley received rousing applause and gasps of recognition throughout, so the TV show and soundtrack, in the context of the times, had great impact and memorability.

For those who missed her initial concerts, Diana Ross wore a long lemon yellow gown with white embroidery on its bell-shaped sleeves when she took the stage, singing “Don’t Rain On My Parade,” “Reflections” and “The Nitty Gritty” among other songs. [[The shade of yellow was slightly lighter and brighter than the hue of her “Lady Sings The Blues” Billie-meets-Louis outfit; seemingly Diana and/or Bob Mackie thought it was a very good color for her, and the improvised dialog in the nightclub scene found Billy Dee Williams commenting that the color of the dress was effective in bringing out the tones of her skin.) Then, after a quick off-stage change, she reappeared in the “Rhythm Of Life” black and orange costume — again, drawing recognition, whether from the TV airing or from the soundtrack album jacket photos — as she and the male singer/dancers performed that song, after which she sang “Reach Out & Touch.” The Leading Lady Medley was the third part of the show, and she re-emerged for her final numbers, including “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” in a long red sequined gown.

So, while the Funny Girl and On Broadway albums may have been dismissed by some critics then or now, they served Diana Ross quite well back in the day. They seemed to be parts of a coordinated, well thought-through effort to make her transition from lead singer of the Supremes to solo status seamless and natural. It was a daring, dazzling package, one none of her contemporaries would conceptualize or could be capable of pulling off so precisely, perfectly and completely, night after night, and it represented an astonishing progression from the Talk Of The Town-era Supremes’ concerts through the Funny Girl and On Broadway albums to her solo debut, Lady Sings The Blues, Mahogany and her two lush, elaborate, scripted shows, An Evening With Diana Ross [[still available on CD) and the Down-the-Staircase Entrance show [[still available on DVD, in its Las Vegas iteration). Throughout, there was a feeling of optimism, triumph and celebration! And people of all colors and generations came together for that positive message.

https://dianarossproject.wordpress.com/2016/05/14/on-broadway-1969/

PeaceNHarmony
05-24-2018, 09:24 PM
The 'Let's See If Diana ...' show was perfect for it's time and I agree fully with your assessment. Each successive tour became more Diana and less derivative and Ross met each successive challenge as it came. I love your final statement - you have captured those years perfectly and I thank you for doing so. It's been a joy to experience this once-in-a-lifetime singer evolve through the decades. Best to you.

RanRan79
05-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Thanks Sup. That's an interesting description of Diana's early act. I know the first solo album was released with a bunch of bonus tracks, but is that considered an expanded edition? I was thinking that if the first album got the same treatment as the other expandeds, that a good addition to it would be a disc of one of the early recorded shows. I know the show at the Grove is circulating but it would be nice if Motown did something with it instead of bootleggers.

reese
05-25-2018, 09:05 AM
Thanks Sup. That's an interesting description of Diana's early act. I know the first solo album was released with a bunch of bonus tracks, but is that considered an expanded edition? I was thinking that if the first album got the same treatment as the other expandeds, that a good addition to it would be a disc of one of the early recorded shows. I know the show at the Grove is circulating but it would be nice if Motown did something with it instead of bootleggers.

It was probably considered expanded at that time, with the Bones Howe tracks and one track from the Grove. But if it was released now, more than likely the entire Grove show would be a part of it.

I also read that Diana did some duets with the Jackson 5 around this time. I have no idea if this is true, but if it is, it would be nice to hear them.

honest man
05-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Wow I have never heard that before,would love to hear Diana and Jackson 5 collaboration,especially Diana and Michael duet on Happy LSTB,have wished to hear both duet on this track,just one song would be amazing,the lady taught him everything about singing,he copied her from the moment she featured in his life,love it,cheers.

RanRan79
05-25-2018, 12:15 PM
It was probably considered expanded at that time, with the Bones Howe tracks and one track from the Grove. But if it was released now, more than likely the entire Grove show would be a part of it.

I also read that Diana did some duets with the Jackson 5 around this time. I have no idea if this is true, but if it is, it would be nice to hear them.

I wonder too if there might be some other things that could've been included at the time but weren't due to the fact that only so much could fit on one disc. Crossing my fingers for an expanded edition of the first solo album now.:D But I'll lose my mind if it turns out that there's Diana and J5 duets waiting to be discovered. I'd kill for those.

RanRan79
05-25-2018, 12:20 PM
Wow I have never heard that before,would love to hear Diana and Jackson 5 collaboration,especially Diana and Michael duet on Happy LSTB,have wished to hear both duet on this track,just one song would be amazing,the lady taught him everything about singing,he copied her from the moment she featured in his life,love it,cheers.

Diana's influence on Michael's vocals is obvious as far as I'm concerned. And I'm hoping that we eventually get the entire Caesar's Palace show released. I'm dying to hear Ross' take on "Happy", a song I've always thought she should've recorded. I find it hard to believe that a recorded version hasn't surfaced, especially considering how excited Gordy got when Smokey put lyrics to the melody. Crossing my fingers for that one too.

reese
05-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Diana's influence on Michael's vocals is obvious as far as I'm concerned. And I'm hoping that we eventually get the entire Caesar's Palace show released. I'm dying to hear Ross' take on "Happy", a song I've always thought she should've recorded. I find it hard to believe that a recorded version hasn't surfaced, especially considering how excited Gordy got when Smokey put lyrics to the melody. Crossing my fingers for that one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m7ZAnn9-84

RanRan79
05-25-2018, 01:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m7ZAnn9-84

I think you shared this once before when we discussed "Happy" Reese. Still great to see, even if it's so brief.