PDA

View Full Version : A gross exaggeration of Stand By Me

test

woodward
05-20-2018, 10:49 AM
I was listening to the NBC-10 Philadelphia news broadcast this morning when the news anchor reported to the public how "THE MOTOWN SONG STAND BY ME" was featured in the royal wedding yesterday.

News to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luke
05-20-2018, 11:41 AM
Yes. Sung by a choir

milven
05-20-2018, 11:57 AM
I don't know of any connection of Stand By Me to Motown, the city, or Motown, the label. The anchor erred.

luke
05-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Ohhhhhhhh. I misunderstood! :[[

midnightman
05-20-2018, 01:05 PM
"Motown" song. The mainstream media need to realize not every R&B song in the '60s was released on Motown! Same to people who keep calling Aretha a MOTOWN legend. :rolleyes:

mysterysinger
05-20-2018, 01:07 PM
To many folks, all black music is Motown - e.g. Nat King Cole [[just look on ebay, for example). They don't know better [[or don't care). So the news anchor erred for sure.

But, of course, Jimmy & David Ruffin had "Stand By Me" issued as a single on the Soul label and it was a track on their album "I Am My Brother's Keeper". I doubt very much that the anchor was thinking of that.

woodward
05-20-2018, 04:38 PM
To many folks, all black music is Motown - e.g. Nat King Cole [[just look on ebay, for example). They don't know better [[or don't care). So the news anchor erred for sure.

But, of course, Jimmy & David Ruffin had "Stand By Me" issued as a single on the Soul label and it was a track on their album "I Am My Brother's Keeper". I doubt very much that the anchor was thinking of that.

I also highly doubt it also. She probably never heard of Jimmy and David. At the peak of their popularity she was probably a child. Too bad.

thanxal
05-20-2018, 05:38 PM
To many folks, all black music is Motown
You hit the nail on the head with that one. And they're too damn lazy to educate themselves.

TomatoTom123
05-20-2018, 05:54 PM
On Little Big Shots I'm pretty sure Steve Harvey called James Brown a Motown legend!

woodward
05-20-2018, 06:16 PM
On Little Big Shots I'm pretty sure Steve Harvey called James Brown a Motown legend!

It didn't happen, however, it could have happened. You need to read in Raynoma's book her story how James Brown was expected to become a Motown legend [[per sae) but the whole plan was aborted. I doubt however that Steve Harvey would know this little tidbit of Motown information though.

alexstassi
05-20-2018, 06:24 PM
As a gigging vocalist i get it all the time when asked to sing some Motown, and when asked if they want any specific song they mention the likes of "Dock of the bay" "saturday night at the movies" or any Sam Cooke.....

mysterysinger
05-20-2018, 07:01 PM
I'm thankful James Brown didn't join Motown as I cannot stand him - I could never conceive of collecting any of his work. Just a personal thing.

TomatoTom123
05-20-2018, 07:17 PM
I'm thankful James Brown didn't join Motown as I cannot stand him - I could never conceive of collecting any of his work. Just a personal thing.

Fair enough mystery. I know what you mean. But I do love a lot of his work. Can I ask why specifically you can't stand him? :)

TomatoTom123
05-20-2018, 07:21 PM
It didn't happen, however, it could have happened. You need to read in Raynoma's book her story how James Brown was expected to become a Motown legend [[per sae) but the whole plan was aborted. I doubt however that Steve Harvey would know this little tidbit of Motown information though.

Interesting Bill. I swear everyone in the biz almost has a connection to Motown. Well, if you look hard enough! :)

And yeah, I'm pretty sure Steve Harvey didn't know about this, lol

soulster
05-20-2018, 07:43 PM
"Motown" song. The mainstream media need to realize not every R&B song in the '60s was released on Motown! Same to people who keep calling Aretha a MOTOWN legend. :rolleyes:

And it pisses me off, too! Those same people also think anything dancible in the 70s and 80s is automatically disco.

I'm thankful James Brown didn't join Motown as I cannot stand him - I could never conceive of collecting any of his work. Just a personal thing.Whaaaatttt??????????😬 Turn in your funk card!

PeaceNHarmony
05-20-2018, 07:47 PM
The name 'Motown' has, for years, been used generically as a compliment as well as an identifier. Subsequent generations have other things to think about. It's the music business; get over it. And, the inclusion in the royal wedding was wonderful.

TomatoTom123
05-20-2018, 07:50 PM
The name 'Motown' has, for years, been used generically as a compliment as well as an identifier. Subsequent generations have other things to think about. It's the music business; get over it. And, the inclusion in the royal wedding was wonderful.

Wait Motown was included in the royal wedding!!? Now I am a royalist ;)

soulster
05-20-2018, 07:53 PM
The name 'Motown' has, for years, been used generically as a compliment as well as an identifier.

But, it it isn't historically accurate. It is a disservice to the other companies that dealt with Black music. There is a rich history and it should not be changed and violated because some kid doesn't think it's important. It's not a compliment to Atlantic, Stax, Chess, and all the other labels that primarily gave us soul music in the 60s.

thanxal
05-20-2018, 08:07 PM
We should be thankful that "they" know black people exist? I will not get over it. "Black people history" is much more than those all black people singin' sum songs. Sorry if that disrupts the wonderful wedding. This wedding is what white people use to white wash black people..."oh,well she IS black, so it must be okay". I will, again, not get over colonialists telling me to get over it [[black identity).They are trying to make themselves feel better for the outright crimes they have committed [[in the case of the British). Having one black woman marrying into the Royal Family just aint enough for the crimes of colonial Britain.

luke
05-20-2018, 08:27 PM
Well said thanxal. Is this now what we say if we don’t agree with something ..”Get over it.” Gonna become a pretty rigid forum.

thanxal
05-20-2018, 08:33 PM
Well said thanxal. Is this now what we say if we don’t agree with something ..”Get over it.” Gonna become a pretty rigid forum.
Luke, I agree with you sometimes and I don't agree with you other times. But I do not recall you ever telling me to "get over it".

luke
05-20-2018, 08:35 PM
Ditto. Wouldn’t do it.

StuBass1
05-21-2018, 01:06 AM
Good analysis...Motown as a concept itself become recognized as a music genre, not necessarily relegated to strictly the label, but a symbol of a certain sound that emanated in the late 50's and continued into the 70's...the "classic Motown period. Those of us that grew up in and around the evolution of what occurred over there on West Grand Blvd and saw it in some shape or form firsthand should consider ourselves fortunate. I suppose there are some "purists" who believe that Motown should only exist as a record label and successful business enterprise, yet Motown becoming a cultural phenomenon enhance it's legacy well beyond a successful business enterprise. That said, there are certainly lines that should not be crossed, and artists who recorded for other labels or songs should not be identified as Motown artists...and yes, I even get a bit irritated when someone is clearly identified the wrong way...but yes...folks should get over it, and if a song comes on the radio and gets misidentified as a "Motown" song...they can impress their friend and correct the mistake...and really knocking the socks off their friend if they know the artist, writer, producer, and label in question...

marv2
05-21-2018, 02:34 AM

To my Uncle George, called all white music "Hillbilly" music. It is all stupid to be that lazy and categorize vast amounts of very different popular music as one thing.

marv2
05-21-2018, 02:38 AM

You know that's Heresy! James Brown's music has inspired countless artists, including Hip Hop artists and without him, you wouldn't have had a lot of music and artists you probably enjoy. Love James Brown!

soulster
05-21-2018, 03:34 AM
We should be thankful that "they" know black people exist? I will not get over it. "Black people history" is much more than those all black people singin' sum songs. Sorry if that disrupts the wonderful wedding. This wedding is what white people use to white wash black people..."oh,well she IS black, so it must be okay". I will, again, not get over colonialists telling me to get over it [[black identity).They are trying to make themselves feel better for the outright crimes they have committed [[in the case of the British). Having one black woman marrying into the Royal Family just aint enough for the crimes of colonial Britain.

Thank you! But, I say that many white people will suddenly quit obsessing about royal weddings now. I listened to Al Sharpton's show on MSNBC Sunday morning, and he said a lot of people were yelling racial epithets there.

I do not excuse people for not knowing that "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King was never Motown, not even close! Sure, many artists have covered the song since, but that isn't the point. Spyder Turner's version was on MGM. Maurice White's version was on Columbia.

I do not dismiss people for thinking that just because it's Black music in the 60s that it's "all the same". No, it isn't.

soulster
05-21-2018, 03:39 AM
To my Uncle George, all white music was "Hillbilly" music. It is all stupid to be that lazy and categorize vast amounts of very different popular music as one thing.

But, according to a lot of people, it's perfectly OK to categorize all R&B and funk music as disco, or all rap as misogynist.

marv2
05-21-2018, 04:09 AM
But, according to a lot of people, it's perfectly OK to categorize all R&B and funk music as disco, or all rap as misogynist.

Let's call it what it is. It is all bullshit! What it says is that some do not take this black art form seriously enough to learn anything about it other than the performers have black faces and "black voices". It is all the same to them. HA! Now if that were true, I do not believe we would have gotten all the surprise responses to that Black minister that spoke at the Royal Wedding. I did watch it on Sky TV which is a British television outlet and they acted as if they never heard a preacher sound so "impassioned" before about the word of the Lord. I was surprised at their reaction. They complained that he went on for 13 whole minutes. Just last weekend I attended the funeral for my former minister from when I was a kid and his service lasted just over 4 hours! Cultural differences are amazing....ignorance of those differences are not!

TomatoTom123
05-21-2018, 04:23 AM
I can't believe the coverage this royal wedding has got. It's two people getting bloody married. Lol. And that's coming from a British person. :D

And then some people are acting like the royal family has totally modernised and transformed. Yeah right :p

mysterysinger
05-21-2018, 05:36 AM
Fair enough mystery. I know what you mean. But I do love a lot of his work. Can I ask why specifically you can't stand him? :)

Undoubtably he is brilliant in his own sphere but hasn't had the same profile here in the UK as in the US. Only 1 top 10 hit [["Hey America") for example and I almost like that one and can listen to "I Got You" as well. For a minute or two I also liked "Sex Machine" but I don't enjoy music lacking a decent melody and with a lot of repetition to boot. My leanings are to good melodies and I guess pop music. So I much prefer the King Of Pop to the Godfather of Soul. That is just my taste. I decided long ago I wasn't a fan of James Brown. That was long before I learnt that he was a serial abuser of women [[including Tammi Terrell it seems). But we're in danger of getting off topic I think.

marv2
05-21-2018, 10:39 AM
Undoubtably he is brilliant in his own sphere but hasn't had the same profile here in the UK as in the US. Only 1 top 10 hit [["Hey America") for example and I almost like that one and can listen to "I Got You" as well. For a minute or two I also liked "Sex Machine" but I don't enjoy music lacking a decent melody and with a lot of repetition to boot. My leanings are to good melodies and I guess pop music. So I much prefer the King Of Pop to the Godfather of Soul. That is just my taste. I decided long ago I wasn't a fan of James Brown. That was long before I learnt that he was a serial abuser of women [[including Tammi Terrell it seems). But we're in danger of getting off topic I think.

Listen to:

"Try Me"
"Bewildered"
"Prisoner of Love"
"It's a Man's Man's Man's World"

For starters to give you a better understanding of the versatility of James Brown and his music. He truly was one of the great ones and pioneered several music genres!

booty
05-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Well, Motown or not Motown, the Gospel Choir that delivered "Stand By Me" were absolutely brilliant. And as for the address given by Bishop Michael Curry was another highlight of the service. After hearing that I was almost a believer!!!!

RanRan79
05-21-2018, 01:29 PM
But, it it isn't historically accurate.

No, it isn't, but should we be surprised at this? This country is proving year after year that history doesn't matter, and thus facts don't matter. As an example, people are spreading lies regarding the issue of slavery and that it either wasn't a cause of the Civil War, or more lately I'm noticing people saying it wasn't the principle cause. And these lies are pushed despite the fact that the Ordinances of Secession for every southern state that seceded lists slavery as a root cause. It makes no difference to the people spreading this nonsense that the folks who actually seceded wrote down that they would do whatever it took to hold on to their slaves, and if that meant forming their own nation to do it, then that's how it was going to be. To the liars it's more important to make shit up in order to hold the pro slavery/anti-Black crowd [[Confederates) in high esteem than to get the facts right and at the same time admit that the reason they love Confederate stuff so much is because they believe the worst thing to happen to the USA is when they let the darkies off the plantation.

Of course my example is a far more important issue than mislabeling artists as Motown acts, but it just goes to show if people aren't interested in historical accuracy regarding things that actually can have effects on our daily lives, why would they bother getting the history of Black music correct? In a few years the Supremes will be gospel singers and the Temptations played Jazz, John Mayer invented the blues and Eminem invented rap. History be damned.

RanRan79
05-21-2018, 01:35 PM
We should be thankful that "they" know black people exist? I will not get over it.

I put that person on ignore, but I can see what he said in your response to him...how disgusting. And this in a forum devoted to Motown! The nonsense around here never ceases to amaze me.

marv2
05-21-2018, 02:10 PM
Well, Motown or not Motown, the Gospel Choir that delivered "Stand By Me" were absolutely brilliant. And as for the address given by Bishop Michael Curry was another highlight of the service. After hearing that I was almost a believer!!!!

I enjoyed it all too. Regarding Bishop Curry's sermon, it was rather tame compared to many Baptist ministers.

marv2
05-21-2018, 02:20 PM
You hit the nail on the head with that one. And they're too damn lazy to educate themselves.

Yet i can probably name every King and Queen of England[[beginning with Henry VII) in order from what I learned in the 4th Grade last century! LOL!

marv2
05-21-2018, 02:22 PM

Steve Harvey is an idiot! He is from Cleveland and older than I am. He grew up during the Motown and James Brown era. By era I mean when each were at the peak of their popularity.

marv2
05-21-2018, 02:23 PM
As a gigging vocalist i get it all the time when asked to sing some Motown, and when asked if they want any specific song they mention the likes of "Dock of the bay" "saturday night at the movies" or any Sam Cooke.....

Do people consider all music from the "British Invasion" to be by the Beatles?

midnightman
05-21-2018, 07:58 PM

James Brown called the Motown artists a bunch of "ministrels playing for the white folks" or something to that effect and he didn't want Gordy telling him what to do though he admired that a black man like Gordy made Motown from scratch. Who knew that Stevie and Marvin had the same feeling of how Motown treated them as James felt?

marv2
05-21-2018, 08:55 PM
James Brown called the Motown artists a bunch of "ministrels playing for the white folks" or something to that effect and he didn't want Gordy telling him what to do though he admired that a black man like Gordy made Motown from scratch. Who knew that Stevie and Marvin had the same feeling of how Motown treated them as James felt?

Yet James Brown was very good friends with most of the Classic Motown artists. They all remained friends over the years. He was even at the Supremes Farewell Show. He wasn't perfect, who is? James was cool......

milven
05-21-2018, 10:02 PM
Yet i can probably name every King and Queen of England[[beginning with Henry VII) in order from what I learned in the 4th Grade last century! LOL!

That's pretty impressive. That must be over twenty monarchs. Do you include the Crowells? I tried reading the history of the monarchy to follow the lineage, but it got confusing.

I can recite all the Presidents of the United States in order. The only purpose is to keep my mind sharp. I can also tell you who was president if you give me a year.

Shutup Milven. This thread is not about you :)

marv2
05-21-2018, 10:41 PM
That's pretty impressive. That must be over twenty monarchs. Do you include the Crowells? I tried reading the history of the monarchy to follow the lineage, but it got confusing.

I can recite all the Presidents of the United States in order. The only purpose is to keep my mind sharp. I can also tell you who was president if you give me a year.

Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector and his son, sure. Yet many can't seem to learn about Black History here or abroad.

soulster
05-22-2018, 05:46 PM

You're just fine, Milven. Talking about ourselves makes conversation interesting.

soulster
05-22-2018, 05:56 PM
Let's call it what it is. It is all bullshit! What it says is that some do not take this black art form seriously enough to learn anything about it other than the performers have black faces and "black voices". It is all the same to them. HA!

I agree, Marv. But, if we wanted to be totally honest, the door swings both ways. There are Black people who look at all White people as the same. There are women who look at all men as the same, and vice versa.

Now if that were true, I do not believe we would have gotten all the surprise responses to that Black minister that spoke at the Royal Wedding. I did watch it on Sky TV which is a British television outlet and they acted as if they never heard a preacher sound so "impassioned" before about the word of the Lord. I was surprised at their reaction. They complained that he went on for 13 whole minutes. Just last weekend I attended the funeral for my former minister from when I was a kid and his service lasted just over 4 hours! Cultural differences are amazing....ignorance of those differences are not!

Cultural differences, indeed! At my mother's funeral, my sister hired ac Black woman preacher. She didn't know a whole lot about her sermons, but knew her back from high school. Anyway, at the funeral, this preacher turned our mother's service into an evangelical sermon about getting saved by Jesus. Hardly even mentioned our mom. We thought it was insulting, and it went on for too long. If we had known that was going to happen, se never would have hired her.

soulster
05-22-2018, 06:04 PM

I'm not going to go off on mysterysinger too much. He just now let us know he's from the U.K., and there are probably cultural differences that we aren't understanding as far as the need to hear melody is concerned. Personally, I don't understand the need to hear melody in order for it to be considered valid music. But, that's because I grew up here in the U.S. with R&B music. With me, rhythm is the most important component in music.

soulster
05-22-2018, 06:07 PM
No, it isn't, but should we be surprised at this? This country is proving year after year that history doesn't matter, and thus facts don't matter. As an example, people are spreading lies regarding the issue of slavery and that it either wasn't a cause of the Civil War, or more lately I'm noticing people saying it wasn't the principle cause. And these lies are pushed despite the fact that the Ordinances of Secession for every southern state that seceded lists slavery as a root cause. It makes no difference to the people spreading this nonsense that the folks who actually seceded wrote down that they would do whatever it took to hold on to their slaves, and if that meant forming their own nation to do it, then that's how it was going to be. To the liars it's more important to make shit up in order to hold the pro slavery/anti-Black crowd [[Confederates) in high esteem than to get the facts right and at the same time admit that the reason they love Confederate stuff so much is because they believe the worst thing to happen to the USA is when they let the darkies off the plantation.

Of course my example is a far more important issue than mislabeling artists as Motown acts, but it just goes to show if people aren't interested in historical accuracy regarding things that actually can have effects on our daily lives, why would they bother getting the history of Black music correct? In a few years the Supremes will be gospel singers and the Temptations played Jazz, John Mayer invented the blues and Eminem invented rap. History be damned.

So, shall we just accept it? No. We counter it with facts. They repeat lies long enough that people believe them. So, all we have to do is repeat the truth and back it up with historical evidence.

soulster
05-22-2018, 06:13 PM
Do people consider all music from the "British Invasion" to be by the Beatles?

Touche! Sure, The Beatles are most often mentioned, but The Rolling Stones, The Animals, Herman's Hermits, Petula Clark, The Yardbirds, Peter And Gordon, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, The Dave Clark Five, and scores of others, are always included.

marv2
05-22-2018, 06:44 PM
I agree, Marv. But, if we wanted to be totally honest, the door swings both ways. There are Black people who look at all White people as the same. There are women who look at all men as the same, and vice versa.

Cultural differences, indeed! At my mother's funeral, my sister hired ac Black woman preacher. She didn't know a whole lot about her sermons, but knew her back from high school. Anyway, at the funeral, this preacher turned our mother's service into an evangelical sermon about getting saved by Jesus. Hardly even mentioned our mom. We thought it was insulting, and it went on for too long. If we had known that was going to happen, se never would have hired her.

I know. My Uncle George called all music by white artists "Hillbilly Music". I don't even know if I was sure of what that meant LOL!

I went to my former Minister's funeral last weekend. It lasted over 4 hours! There was a woman that read condolences and messages to the family for 45 mins! In between all the other ministers speeches they talked about Rev. Johnson and his wife who were friends of MLK before he became nationally known. It should be a requirement that those officiating or conducting funeral services or masses at least know somethings about the deceased.

marv2
05-22-2018, 06:54 PM
Touche! Sure, The Beatles are most often mentioned, but The Rolling Stones, The Animals, Herman's Hermits, Petula Clark, The Yardbirds, Peter And Gordon, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, The Dave Clark Five, and scores of others, are always included.

See, I am not amazed that you know the names of all of those different artists. You are intelligent and curious enough to want to know their names and probably their most popular recordings. I am that way also. It ALWAYS irritated me to hear a cover band announce that they are going to play the hits of Motown and then launch into something by the O'Jays, followed by "In the Midnight Hour" by Wilson Pickett!

This makes me remember in July 2005. I was at a outdoor concert on the East End of Long Island featuring the Funk Brothers with Mary Wilson headlining. They had special guests like Jimmy Buffet who lives in the area and Joan Osborne who participated in the documentary "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". During a break in the show, they were selling DVD's of the Doc. and CD's of Mary's music and some of Funks instrumentals. I had to explain to a large enough group there who the Funk Brothers were and the fact that they had played on more hit records than probably any other musicians in history. You should have heard the responses. all of the "Whoa", "Really?" and the "I didn't know that". I told them that they may not know who the musicians were but I could promise them that they heard their work many times over the years.

marv2
05-22-2018, 06:56 PM
I'm not going to go off on mysterysinger too much. He just now let us know he's from the U.K., and there are probably cultural differences that we aren't understanding as far as the need to hear melody is concerned. Personally, I don't understand the need to hear melody in order for it to be considered valid music. But, that's because I grew up here in the U.S. with R&B music. With me, rhythm is the most important component in music.

James Brown was the most syncopated performer I had ever seen! To me he was sort of a genius. Who else could take 3-4 words and make a 10 minute recording with parts 1 & 2? LOL!!!! "You better get on the goodfoot!" LOL!

marv2
05-22-2018, 07:00 PM
So, shall we just accept it? No. We counter it with facts. They repeat lies long enough that people believe them. So, all we have to do is repeat the truth and back it up with historical evidence.

No! Never accept it! In 100 years they will have Aretha Franklin being a white female Country singer in the history books! I always correct people especially in regards to this subject whenever I hear the "mistake".

You know the "Temptations" movie? So many younger people believe they now know everything about the Temptations because of that movie. It in many ways have kept the group and it's legacy relevant, even if it is not completely accurate.

vgalindo
05-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Listen to:

"Try Me"
"Bewildered"
"Prisoner of Love"
"It's a Man's Man's Man's World"

For starters to give you a better understanding of the versatility of James Brown and his music. He truly was one of the great ones and pioneered several music genres!
Or my favorite James Brown song "It was you".

marv2
05-22-2018, 07:19 PM
Or my favorite James Brown song "It was you".

Good one. You know James Brown could to more than just grunt.

vgalindo
05-22-2018, 07:22 PM
Good one. You know James Brown could to more than just grunt.

So true. He has many classics.

Here Is one of my favorites for those who haven't heard this great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X9T_i4LvI

marv2
05-22-2018, 07:27 PM
Here to keep it "Motown" LOL! James Brown and Martha Reeves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXOXOjgJMc

marv2
05-22-2018, 07:31 PM
So true. He has many classics.

Here Is one of my favorites for those who haven't heard this great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X9T_i4LvI

Wasn't this cut used in a movie? It seems I heard it in a film. Still it shows James Brown was multi-dimensional and I appreciate his work.

marv2
05-22-2018, 07:33 PM
I was listening to the NBC-10 Philadelphia news broadcast this morning when the news anchor reported to the public how "THE MOTOWN SONG STAND BY ME" was featured in the royal wedding yesterday.

News to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He could have at least mentioned Ben E. King's name even if the totally got the label wrong.

TomatoTom123
05-22-2018, 07:36 PM
If you want some more pop-ish James Brown music [[for mysterysinger :)), I'd probably go with his 1979 The Original Disco Man album. Here's my favourite track from that one... some funky disco... a very fun song :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIW3aZtlIUo

marv2
05-22-2018, 09:20 PM
If you want some more pop-ish James Brown music [[for mysterysinger :)), I'd probably go with his 1979 The Original Disco Man album. Here's my favourite track from that one... some funky disco... a very fun song :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIW3aZtlIUo
It's been said that this record was the prototype for Mary Wilson's "Red Hot" that was released later that year. The intros are almost identical.

thanxal
05-22-2018, 09:53 PM
It's been said that this record was the prototype for Mary Wilson's "Red Hot" that was released later that year. The intros are almost identical.
Oh Marv, you must be joking.

marv2
05-22-2018, 10:00 PM
Oh Marv, you must be joking.

You think so? Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-z9MA414Ug

marv2
05-22-2018, 10:03 PM
The version I posted above is the original album version. Now listen to James Brown's "Too Funky In Here". The intros are nearly identical. I joked for years that "Red Hot" was also "Mary Wilson does James Brown" She is purposely channeling his style:

thanxal
05-22-2018, 10:13 PM
Ok Marv. If you’re saying Red hot was modeled after It’s too Funky inHere.. that I buy. I thought you were saying it was the other way around. My bad.

marv2
05-22-2018, 10:20 PM
Ok Marv. If you’re saying Red hot was modeled after It’s too Funky inHere.. that I buy. I thought you were saying it was the other way around. My bad.

No problem. When I heard "Red Hot" for the first time in the Fall of 1979 I thought it sounded familiar. Mary's record was released later in the year after James' record.

marv2
05-22-2018, 10:33 PM

You do know that Michael Jackson studied James Brown from the time he was a little kid starting out.

RanRan79
05-22-2018, 11:31 PM

I wasn't saying it should be accepted. I was saying we shouldn't be surprised that facts don't matter in an age when "alternative facts" and "fake news" are appropriate catch phrases. Your response to my comment is absolutely correct in regards to what should be done when people play fast and loose with the truth. I often counter alternative facts in this forum with sourced information and have ended up on some folks' bad side. I would never suggest that a lie should be left unchecked.

marv2
05-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Royal Wedding Song “Stand by Me” Was a Surprise to Famed Composer Mike Stoller: “I didn’t think it would be the ONLY song”

http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/05/22/royal-wedding-song-stand-by-me-was-a-surprise-to-famed-composer-mike-stoller-i-didnt-think-it-would-be-the-only-song

144man
05-23-2018, 03:21 PM

I wasn't particularly happy about the Supremes' album being called "A Bit of Liverpool" as it included "Bits and Pieces" originally by the Dave Clark 5, who came from North London.

I remember being annoyed by people referring to Percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves A Woman" as Tamla Motown as long ago as the early 70s, so it's not a new phenomenon in the UK. I get just annoyed over it happening now. If people aren't taking the trouble to get their references right, how can we ever be sure we understand what they're saying?

marv2
05-23-2018, 05:31 PM
I wasn't particularly happy about the Supremes' album being called "A Bit of Liverpool" as it included "Bits and Pieces" originally by the Dave Clark 5, who came from North London.

I remember being annoyed by people referring to Percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves A Woman" as Tamla Motown as long ago as the early 70s, so it's not a new phenomenon in the UK. I get just annoyed over it happening now. If people aren't taking the trouble to get their references right, how can we ever be sure we understand what they're saying?

What is worse is when younger people believe it and just goes with it as fact.

soulster
05-23-2018, 06:20 PM
See, I am not amazed that you know the names of all of those different artists. You are intelligent and curious enough to want to know their names and probably their most popular recordings.

LOL! I grew up with all that British Invasion music along with jazz music, Motown, Atlantic, Stax, and the rest. It's not something I had to discover or anything like that.

Boogiedown
05-24-2018, 05:48 PM
Vocally, I thought Mary might be doing a derivative of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKEUuF_PdNM

I hear that anyway.

Boogiedown
05-24-2018, 05:53 PM
I agree . I like this branching out in style by James Brown, even though he claims he wasn't very happy with it.... but then he made a follow LP with Brad Shapiro at the helm again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQJDbeT1lM

robb_k
05-24-2018, 07:20 PM
I know. My Uncle George called all music by white artists "Hillbilly Music". I don't even know if I was sure of what that meant LOL!

I went to my former Minister's funeral last weekend. It lasted over 4 hours! There was a woman that read condolences and messages to the family for 45 mins! In between all the other ministers speeches they talked about Rev. Johnson and his wife who were friends of MLK before he became nationally known. It should be a requirement that those officiating or conducting funeral services or masses at least know somethings about the deceased.
So AC/DC were Hillbillies? And Monti Rock IV? And Napoleon 14th? And Herbie Mann? And The Beatles? And Frank Ifield? And Sophie Tucker?

TomatoTom123
05-24-2018, 07:20 PM
I agree . I like this branching out in style by James Brown, even though he claims he wasn't very happy with it.... but then he made a follow LP with Brad Shapiro at the helm again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQJDbeT1lM

Interesting Boogie. "It's Too Funky In Here" is probably one of my fave James Brown songs, even though he did not write or produce it. That album is indeed quite disco-y and I can understand why James B may not have liked it. The title track is kinda catchy but also a lil bit corny. :p

Also, for a more pop-ish track I'd choose "Living In America" [[even though it is still funkaaaaaay), written and produced by the great Dan Hartman [[reeeeelight my fire!) :D

marv2
05-24-2018, 07:49 PM
Vocally, I thought Mary might be doing a derivative of:

I hear that anyway.

Interesting. She is one of Mary's friends today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTwTh7AgJEE

marv2
05-24-2018, 07:54 PM
So AC/DC were Hillbillies? And Monti Rock IV? And Napoleon 14th? And Herbie Mann? And The Beatles? And Frank Ifield? And Sophie Tucker?

I am not sure if he's even heard any of them, the Beatles being the most likely of them. He heard me listening to the Eagles, Bob Seger etc when I was a teenager. He passed away years ago or I'd asked him what he meant. My father was much different. He liked all kinds of music as long as it was good. That's how I am.

marv2
05-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Interesting Boogie. "It's Too Funky In Here" is probably one of my fave James Brown songs, even though he did not write or produce it. That album is indeed quite disco-y and I can understand why James B may not have liked it. The title track is kinda catchy but also a lil bit corny. :p

Also, for a more pop-ish track I'd choose "Living In America" [[even though it is still funkaaaaaay), written and produced by the great Dan Hartman [[reeeeelight my fire!) :D

Most of the Soul artists from the 60s did not like Disco and resisted doing it as much as possible. The ones that still had record deals in the 70s were forced to do it to survive, but they didn't like it!

marv2
05-24-2018, 07:57 PM

Most of the Soul artists from the 60s did not like Disco and resisted doing it as much as possible. The ones that still had record deals in the 70s were forced to do it to survive, but they didn't like it!

TomatoTom123
05-24-2018, 08:05 PM
Marv it seems your point is so great you made it twice!!! :p

PeaceNHarmony
05-24-2018, 09:27 PM
Most of the comments here seem to be from posters I have long ago blocked so I can't and don't comment on them. It's nice to see that the composer of the song as well as the audience at large loved and appreciated the performance.

Boogiedown
05-25-2018, 12:36 AM
Most of the comments here seem to be from posters I have long ago blocked so I can't and don't comment on them. .

Yep. That's how it works all right.

soulster
05-25-2018, 04:23 AM

Very true. And, if they weren't contractually forced or coerced by the label, they did it for survival. Some succeeded, and some didn't.

Take Kool & The Gang, though. They languished in the late 70s during the height of the disco era, mostly because they didn't know how to navigate it. That's why they hired Eumir Deodato and singer James J.T. Taylor. It worked. They had to change their sound, but, hey, they became more popular than ever before for a few years.

And Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers! They hated disco! They were playing rock for most of the 70s until they played in Walter Murphy's Big Apple Band [[A Fifth Of Beethoven). They couldn't get anywhere playing rock as Black men, so they formed a disco group to get famous enough to do rock, which is exactly what happened. That group, of course, was Chic. Eventually, they came to like the music, but their two biggest records were anti-disco songs: "Le Freak" and "Good Times". In fact, "Le Freak" was a big middle finger to the very club that played the song like crazy! Studio 54 wouldn't let them in after Grace Jones invited them. They walked home angrily singing "Ah Fuck Off!". They suddenly realized they had a hit song and rushed home to write it.

"Le Freak" remained Atlantic Records biggest selling single of all time until about a decade ago.

soulster
05-25-2018, 04:26 AM
Yep. That's how it works all right. That means most people that P&H didn't respond to can put him/her on ignore too.

Boogiedown
05-25-2018, 07:56 AM
If they choose to.

RanRan79
05-25-2018, 08:14 AM
That means most people that P&H didn't respond to can put him/her on ignore too.

I checked that one off my bucket list, along with several others, awhile ago.:p Blocking does make for a more pleasant forum experience, as far as not having to deal with posters who seem to look for drama with every keystroke. Unfortunately it can limit the discussions when the folks you've blocked seem to be posting all the time. But hey, sometimes there's a price to pay for comfort.

TomatoTom123
05-25-2018, 08:34 AM
Once you have blocked a poster, can you unblock them? Also, if you block someone, do they know that you have blocked them? [[I mean, without telling them :p)

RanRan79
05-25-2018, 11:31 AM
Once you have blocked a poster, can you unblock them? Also, if you block someone, do they know that you have blocked them? [[I mean, without telling them :p)

Yes, you can unblock them, but as far as I know a poster doesn't know he or she has been blocked until they see it mentioned in a post. One feature that is lacking so far is the ability to block even messages that appear in someone else's reply. For instance, if I block you Tom and Midnight replies to something you said using the "reply with quote" feature, I now have to see what you said in Midnight's comment despite the fact that I have you blocked. I don't know how feasible it is [[I'm not the most tech savvy, believe it or not) but it might be nice if Ralph looked into a way of possibly adding a way to totally ignore people on the blocked list even when others use the reply with quote. Oh well.

I do find it personally funny though that since blocking a slew of posters several weeks back, I haven't had a moment of drama. I have noticed, via the replies, that many of the folks I've blocked are still in the middle of bullshit. Proof positive that the problem isn't me.:p:o:cool:

RanRan79
05-25-2018, 11:33 AM
I do find it personally funny though that since blocking a slew of posters several weeks back, I haven't had a moment of drama. I have noticed, via the replies, that many of the folks I've blocked are still in the middle of bullshit. Proof positive that the problem isn't me.:p:o:cool:

Scratch that, I did have a moment of drama with someone I thought I had already put on ignore. I hadn't. Problem now solved.

Boogiedown
05-25-2018, 01:52 PM
Another thread diverted by blockers going on and on about blocking people. lol!

soulster
05-25-2018, 03:04 PM
Yes, you can unblock them, but as far as I know a poster doesn't know he or she has been blocked until they see it mentioned in a post. One feature that is lacking so far is the ability to block even messages that appear in someone else's reply. For instance, if I block you Tom and Midnight replies to something you said using the "reply with quote" feature, I now have to see what you said in Midnight's comment despite the fact that I have you blocked. I don't know how feasible it is [[I'm not the most tech savvy, believe it or not) but it might be nice if Ralph looked into a way of possibly adding a way to totally ignore people on the blocked list even when others use the reply with quote. Oh well.

The really old Sound Forge forum back in the early 00s had an ignore feature that was so thorough that if you ignored someone, every last trace of their existence on the forum disappeared to you. Just about everyone blocked a member who called himself "asswhole". He did nothing but troll everyone every day, all the time.

RanRan79
05-25-2018, 03:17 PM
The really old Sound Forge forum back in the early 00s had an ignore feature that was so thorough that if you ignored someone, every last trace of their existence on the forum disappeared to you. Just about everyone blocked a member who called himself "asswhole". He did nothing but troll everyone every day, all the time.

Now that's a great feature! Wish we had it here.

soulster
05-25-2018, 07:12 PM
Now that's a great feature! Wish we had it here.

I wish I could remember the brand of software they used. From what i've seen over the years, no one wants to fully utilize that feature if it's available.

144man
05-25-2018, 08:14 PM
Even if someone has something worthwhile to say only 1% of the time, I'd rather know what they're saying than place them on Ignore.

Boogiedown
05-26-2018, 12:09 AM
Even if someone has something worthwhile to say only 1% of the time, I'd rather know what they're saying than place them on Ignore.

Oh, you're [[[[way)) too open-minded 144man! With that attitude I almost fear for your safety!
Lol!! 😎

RanRan79
05-26-2018, 01:04 AM

That was my philosophy up until fairly recent, which is why it took me so long to actually use the ignore feature, despite having a few posters who I refused to engage with. But my personality isn't one where I can read someone's bullshit [[or even listen to it in person) and not address it. By putting certain people on block it allows me to resist the temptation to get into something with certain people. It not only makes my time in the forum more pleasant, but it keeps the drama down...well at least it keeps my participation in drama down.:cool: But I definitely understand where you're coming from, I'm just no longer there.

soulster
05-26-2018, 03:49 AM

But, if an individual proves to be trolling, hostile, does nothing but constantly insult or try to get little digs in, it's much better to simply put them on ignore, even if only for a little while.Life is too short to deal with their nonsense and incivility.

If they have something worthwhile to say 1% of the time, they blow it with the other 99% of garbage.

Message forums are about personal opinions. If people disagree, that's fine, but you can disagree with someone and remain respectful and civil, and not come after them with hostility. I don't think enough of us are friends or close enough to be able to come after people so strong, even if they think it's warranted. Even if someone is genuinely angry about something or at someone, it only does the rest of the community a disservice to disrupt the flow of a discussion with the vitriol. If it's a matter of culture, remember that not all of us are from the same world. We all have diverse backgrounds OK, let's make it real: for instance, if two people are known to be Black on here, and the two have a disagreement, don't treat the other person like they came from your neighborhood. They probably didn't.

No one comes here to get berated for expressing an opinion. What fun is that? There are people who like to mix it up and have it out. Well, there are members who don't, and just want to come here to unwind and get into another world for a bit. That's why we have thread topics. If there is a thread that doesn't interest you, don't open it. It's that simple. The only reason someone would do that if they aren't interested in a thread topic is so they can start something. They seem to thrive off drama. We don't like drama queens at work. We don't like drama at family dinners, we don't like drama when we go out, we don't like our significant others or children who are full of drama, so why tolerate it here?

Boogiedown
05-26-2018, 08:27 PM
But, if an individual proves to be trolling, hostile, does nothing but constantly insult or try to get little digs in, it's much better to simply put them on ignore, even if only for a little while.Life is too short to deal with their nonsense and incivility.

If they have something worthwhile to say 1% of the time, they blow it with the other 99% of garbage.

Message forums are about personal opinions. If people disagree, that's fine, but you can disagree with someone and remain respectful and civil, and not come after them with hostility. I don't think enough of us are friends or close enough to be able to come after people so strong, even if they think it's warranted. Even if someone is genuinely angry about something or at someone, it only does the rest of the community a disservice to disrupt the flow of a discussion with the vitriol. If it's a matter of culture, remember that not all of us are from the same world. We all have diverse backgrounds OK, let's make it real: for instance, if two people are known to be Black on here, and the two have a disagreement, don't treat the other person like they came from your neighborhood. They probably didn't.

No one comes here to get berated for expressing an opinion. What fun is that? There are people who like to mix it up and have it out. Well, there are members who don't, and just want to come here to unwind and get into another world for a bit. That's why we have thread topics. If there is a thread that doesn't interest you, don't open it. It's that simple. The only reason someone would do that if they aren't interested in a thread topic is so they can start something. They seem to thrive off drama. We don't like drama queens at work. We don't like drama at family dinners, we don't like drama when we go out, we don't like our significant others or children who are full of drama, so why tolerate it here?

Thoughtful well-written post . I agree with every bit of it. :cool:

Regarding this particular thread , I was taken back that someone would come onto it sniffing that they wouldn't/couldn't comment because the exchanges taking place were by people they had blocked. !! That's why I said , "ya that's kinda how it works".

Once someone's blocked people , what's the point of interjecting that fact needlessly into a thread as was done here? I doubt the people that have been blocked give a hoot nor likely most anyone else.
We get it, you're using the ignore option. Big whoop. Use it in good health! :cool:

Beyond that, I agree wholeheartedly the ignore button is a good option for those who have a better experience here from using it .

soulster
05-28-2018, 02:49 AM
Thoughtful well-written post . I agree with every bit of it. :cool:

Regarding this particular thread , I was taken back that someone would come onto it sniffing that they wouldn't/couldn't comment because the exchanges taking place were by people they had blocked. !! That's why I said , "ya that's kinda how it works".

Yes, indeed! It's a way for people to tell everyone that there are people here that they don't like and they are ignoring them. They are like five-year-olds sticking their fingers in their ears and saying "I can't hear you! Na-nee-na-nee-naa-naa!" Well, those children can be blocked, too.

Once someone's blocked people , what's the point of interjecting that fact needlessly into a thread as was done here? I doubt the people that have been blocked give a hoot nor likely most anyone else.
We get it, you're using the ignore option. Big whoop. Use it in good health! :cool:

Apparently, these people's emotional development was stunted before they hit puberty.

144man
06-01-2018, 02:25 PM
I watched the Royal Wedding followed by the F[[ootball) A[[ssociation) Cup Final. Sad to say, the royal wedding proved to be a lot more exciting.

snakepit
06-01-2018, 03:21 PM
As a Manchester United fan I have to agree 😢😭

marv2
06-01-2018, 05:38 PM
I watched the Royal Wedding followed by the F[[ootball) A[[ssociation) Cup Final. Sad to say, the royal wedding proved to be a lot more exciting.

I watched Coronation Street. Looks like they are finally going to get that Pat Phelan! LOL!!!