PDA

View Full Version : Gladys - Help Me Make It Through the Night [[Full House, 1972)

test

midnightman
05-13-2018, 04:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOmJoacBUOg

PeaceNHarmony
05-13-2018, 07:26 PM
Full House I don't know from but Donahue featured Gladys' performance as well. Also lipsynced, sadly. But a great version I played to dust from the SO lp

midnightman
05-13-2018, 07:54 PM
Wait, she lipped in Donahue???

Bluebrock
05-14-2018, 03:14 AM
She does a great live performance of this on one of those "wiped" editions of Top of the Pops which resurfaced a few months back. Cannot recall which edition it is without checking which i haven't got the time to do at the moment.

PeaceNHarmony
05-14-2018, 10:45 AM
Wait, she lipped in Donahue???
Yes, but back then it was standard practice - I recall PD rather blithering on about how Kris Kristofferson would love the Gladys version. And I'm sure he did!

midnightman
05-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Yes, but back then it was standard practice - I recall PD rather blithering on about how Kris Kristofferson would love the Gladys version. And I'm sure he did!

I could've sworn I read that he really loved it. He loved what Janis Joplin did with "Me & Bobby McGee" so I'm sure he loved what Gladys did "Help Me Make It Through the Night" [[which was significant to him because it was the first hit he wrote and also a song he recorded himself).

nathanj06
05-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Love Gladys Knight but the version by Sammi Smith in 1971 is much better by far, [[imo). It was #1 on the country chart and #8 on the pop chart and received a Grammy for Best Female Country Vocal Performance for that year. She of course never had the longevity Gladys has and Gladys has many standout hits we all know and love.

PeaceNHarmony
05-14-2018, 08:03 PM
Love Gladys Knight but the version by Sammi Smith in 1971 is much better by far, [[imo). It was #1 on the country chart and #8 on the pop chart and received a Grammy for Best Female Country Vocal Performance for that year. She of course never had the longevity Gladys has and Gladys has many standout hits we all know and love.
Of course! Gladys covered the song after Sammi who had a rare deep-country record score high on the charts. Was this the first of Gladys' spoken-intro songs?

sansradio
05-14-2018, 08:10 PM
This is simply marvelous, as Miss Knight invariably is. Thanks for posting!