PDA

View Full Version : Supremes setlist 1967 and 1970

test

floyjoy678
05-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Was searching on the web on info on the Supremes engagement at Eden Roc Easter 1967 and came across a forum where someone has recordings of the show as well as a show with Jean Terrell in April 1970. Interesting to see what the setlist was like early on in the JMC lineup, looks like they were slowly pulling away from the showtunes. The Easter show in '67 doesn't look much different from the Copa show a couple of months later, though I'm surprised they weren't doing The Happening which was released about that time. The setlist below is copied directly from the forum I found it on...

The Supremes - March 1967
Introduction 0:19
Put on a Happy Face 1:52
Stop! In The Name of Love 1:08
Come See About Me 0:42
My World Is Empty Without You 0:57
Baby Love 0:58
Michelle 2:59
More 2:58
Back in My Arms Again 1:48
Dialouge 0:51
Love Is Here 2:34
Yesterday 2:55
You Can't Hurry Love 2:40
Set Me Free 1:55
Queen of the House 3:02
The Lady is a Tramp 1:09
Let's Get Away from It All 0:46
The Lady is a Tramp Pt II 1:46
There's a Place For Us [[Incomplete) 1:54
I Hear a Symphony [[Incomplete) 2:34
You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You 3:18
You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You [[Reprise) 0:24

The "New" Supremes - April 19 1970
Intro 1:09
Set Me Free 1:59
Nothing Can Stop Us Now 2:35
Something's Coming 2:05
Tonight 1:21
Dialouge 0:51
Little Green Apples 2:48
Walk On The Wild Side 3:18
Dialouge II 0:38
MacArthur Park 4:58
The Happening1:28
I Can't Take My Eyes Off of You 2:30
Dialouge III 0:56
You'll Never Walk Alone 3:51
Don't Rain On My Parade 1:32
Up The Ladder To The Roof 3:39
Baby Love 0:46
I Hear a Symphony 0:35
Come See About Me 0:43
Stop! In The Name of Love 0:59
Love Child 1:04
Someday We'll Be Together 3:21
Oh, Happy Day 8:03
THE EXODUS SONG aka THIS LAND IS MINE 3:16
Outro 0:59

RanRan79
05-09-2018, 09:53 AM
Reading the 1967 show, I was wondering what is this song "Set Me Free"? That's an interesting obscure live song from the original group. It wasn't until I got to the list of the 1970 show that I realized "Set Me Free" is "You Keep Me Hangin On".:D Anyway, I'd kill for a copy of that 1970 show. I had no idea they were doing stuff like "You'll Never Walk Alone". Wow.

sup_fan
05-09-2018, 10:49 AM
it is refreshing to see a pretty much 100% new show for the girls. Although I'd argue it's still VERY heavy on showtunes:

You'll Never Walk Alone - Carousel
Something's Coming - West Side Story
Nothing Can Stop Us Now - Roar of the Greasepaint, Smell of the crowd
Tonight - West Side Story
Don't Rain On My Parade - Funny Girl
Exodus - theme from the movie

Also Walk on the Wild Side wasn't recorded by Lou Reed until 1972. not sure what song this is but guessing something else

PeaceNHarmony
05-09-2018, 11:13 AM
it is refreshing to see a pretty much 100% new show for the girls. Although I'd argue it's still VERY heavy on showtunes:

You'll Never Walk Alone - Carousel
Something's Coming - West Side Story
Nothing Can Stop Us Now - Roar of the Greasepaint, Smell of the crowd
Tonight - West Side Story
Don't Rain On My Parade - Funny Girl
Exodus - theme from the movie

Also Walk on the Wild Side wasn't recorded by Lou Reed until 1972. not sure what song this is but guessing something else
... not to mention that Supremes songs are mostly reduced to mere seconds in length. This was the cause of their downfall. Who in hell wanted to hear those tired showtunes in 1970? At least they could have chosen current B'wy shows.

sup_fan
05-09-2018, 11:27 AM
looks like they're sticking to the same formula with the hits. they typically included 4 or so[[relatively) full length versions of the most recent hits. then did a medley or two to capture some of the older ones.

Talk of Town - YKMHO, Love Is Here, happening, Reflections, in and out
Farewell - Love Is Here, Reflections, Love Child, I'm Gonna Make you love me, Someday
Roostertail - Come see about me, Baby love, Back in arms, My World, Symphony, Can't hurry love, Stop,
Copa 65 - Baby love, Stop, Come See, Back in Arms, Nothing but heartaches, Where Did our love go

But as time progressed, doing things like Little Green Apples, the endless show tunes, etc really did hamper them. When they did return to Vegas, fine. use this version of the show. but they definitely needed to incorporate more up-to-date content and more of their own material

there have been a few other discussions of songs they tried to incorporate into the show - Day by Day from Godspell was one MJC tried in late 71 but apparently didn't go over well. I know Diana used a Jesus Christ Superstar medley in her act for a while.

I wonder when they introduced Aquarius/Sunshine? obviously its a cornerstone of their Farewell show but when did they start doing that show lineup? after Talk of Town, what things did they try to work in and when?

reese
05-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Walk on the Wild Side wasn't recorded by Lou Reed until 1972. not sure what song this is but guessing something else

I think it is the theme from a 60s movie.

reese
05-09-2018, 11:46 AM
I wonder when they introduced Aquarius/Sunshine? obviously its a cornerstone of their Farewell show but when did they start doing that show lineup? after Talk of Town, what things did they try to work in and when?

I'm assuming they added Aquarius/Sunshine after Diana did it on LIKE HEP in 1969. They probably added BIG SPENDER around the same time, as it was re-popularized when the film SWEET CHARITY came out. MY MAN might have been added after she sang it on Bob Hope's special that same year.

I recall reading a review of their 1969 Waldorf-Astoria appearance and the song lineup seemed very similar as FAREWELL, even down to the T.C.B. opener.

RanRan79
05-09-2018, 11:50 AM
All criticisms aside, I want to hear Jean do "You'll Never Walk Alone". If it's anything like her reading of "He Aint Heavy", it has to be a real treat.

luckyluckyme
05-09-2018, 12:05 PM
https://www.discogs.com/Tom-Jones-Help-Yourself/master/109795

Perhaps the opener 'Set Me Free' was the same tune that Tom Jones recorded in 1968 [[especially with Mary's connection to Mr. Jones). Looking at the first 4 titles of the set they may have been chosen to communicate to the fans that the JMC Supremes were forging right ahead and not looking back to the shadow of their former lead singer. And they had already performed 'Nothing Can Stop Us now' in their Ed Sullivan debut.

gman
05-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Guess they couldn't get Jean to sing The Lady Is A Tramp...maybe Jean would have enjoyed performing the older hits a bit longer if she didn't have to rush through them. I think Reflections is Jeans strongest 60's recreation...The song choices from 1970 at least shows that they were exploring new territory....I wonder if Something and We've Only Just Begun worked their way into the act? they performed both on TV. No doubt giving Mary and Cindy more to do once DR left had a big impact on the presentation. Even if it was BG vocals with a few solo lines...once DR exited, it was definitely more of a group effort, both live and in the studio. Less road work and making Jean a percentage partner would have most likely made her happier. She was [[as the predominant lead singer) doing more and carrying the act.
What was the incentive after the big singles stopped? She became part of a road act on salary & collecting whatever royalties were forwarded after expenses...and she most likely had no say in controlling those expenses....As the income dropped, she was probably very happy her contract was coming to an end and she would not have to live on the road. It appears she was satisfied reaching her goal, enjoying the achievement, and not making a lifetime out of it. She remains a capable performer who selectively and occasionally likes to work. I am glad to have been one of her fans. "Touch" is my favorite Supremes LP. And I play the complete LPS from both JT and Scherrie's era's much more than I listen to any complete DRATS Lp.

RanRan79
05-09-2018, 12:22 PM
https://www.discogs.com/Tom-Jones-Help-Yourself/master/109795

Perhaps the opener 'Set Me Free' was the same tune that Tom Jones recorded in 1968 [[especially with Mary's connection to Mr. Jones). Looking at the first 4 titles of the set they may have been chosen to communicate to the fans that the JMC Supremes were forging right ahead and not looking back to the shadow of their former lead singer. And they had already performed 'Nothing Can Stop Us now' in their Ed Sullivan debut.

That's possible, but surely that's not the tune they're doing in 1967 and I'm pretty sure that one is "You Keep Me Hangin On". I'll be surprised to find that the "Set Me Free" in 70 isn't "Hangin On". But you might be right.

luckyluckyme
05-09-2018, 12:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arw6WkE78oA

sup_fan
05-09-2018, 01:04 PM
the did incorporate We've Only Just Begun into their show

By Summer 71 performance in Central Park the set list was:

Feelin' Good/Loving Country/Together we Can make such sweet music
We've Only Just Begun
60s hits medley
Love story
River Deep
Love the one you're with
Can't take my eyes off you/quiet nights
Everybody's got the right to love
Nathan jones
People
Stoned Love
Revival/Oh Happy Day

their 1971 set list at Carter Baron w/ the Tops was:
Feelin' Good/LC/TWCMSSW
60s hits
love story
love the one you're with
Can't take eyes/quiet nights
Everybody's got the right
Nathan
Look of Love
Revival/Happy Day
River Deep
Reach Out and touch

Summer 72 tour with the Temps
TCB/Hits medley - temps join for TCB then leave the girls to the hits
TCB's version of the girls singing MyGirl/guy - girls introduce the temps and leave
Intro of the Supremes by the temps
Your wonderful sweet sweet love
It's alright with me
Stoned love
can't take eyes/quiet nights
love the one you're with
60s hits
lean on me
everybody's got the right
he ain't heavy
You're nobody till somebody
somewhere
I'm gonna make you love me
rhythm of life

Dec 72 at the Apollo
TCB
60s hits
Can't take eyes/QNs
Stoned Love
I'll guess i'll miss the man
60s hits medley #2
he ain't heavy
love train/o happy day

sup_fan
05-09-2018, 01:05 PM
1976 Caesar's Palace

Everybody Get to go to the moon
Let Yourself Go
60s medley
maybe this time
People - susaye solo
what about today - scherrie solo
He's My man
A song for you/how lucky
You're my driving wheel
Let yourself go reprise

I also have MSC in Manchester in 75 and MSS at Bachelor's III in 76. but need to see again what was on the song list

Thornton
05-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Thanks for all the info, everyone. I was only familiar with the '71 Central Park set list and the '72 concert with The Temptations. I would love to hear Susaye sing "People". Here's the lists for Manchester '75 and Bachelor's III '76.

Manchester-1975
1. Overture
2. We've Only Just Begun/Tonight
3. Early Morning Love
4. The Way We Were/Maybe This Time
5. 60's Hits Medley
6. Dream Sequence Intro
7. I Never Kissed a Man [[Cindy solo)
8. You've Been a Good Ole Wagon [[Scherrie solo)
9. What Have You Done To My Heart [[Mary solo)
10. Dream Sequence Finale
11. A Song for You/How Lucky Can You Get
12. This Is Why I Believe In You
13. Body Heat
14. He's My Man

Bachelor's III-1976
1. Overture
2. We've Only Just Begun/Tonight
3. The Way We Were/Maybe This Time
4. 60's Hits Medley
5. A Song for You/How Lucky Can You Get
6. He's My Man
7. You're What's Missing In My Life
8. He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
9. I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking

floyjoy678
05-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Wow I'd love to hear Susaye do "People" as well! Jean did a fantastic vocal on the song but I still say the recorded version with Flo and Diana, that everyone hates so much, is my all time favorite version and favorite vocal from Flo.

Fourtopsbiggestfan
05-09-2018, 07:31 PM
... not to mention that Supremes songs are mostly reduced to mere seconds in length. This was the cause of their downfall. Who in hell wanted to hear those tired showtunes in 1970? At least they could have chosen current B'wy shows.
Those show tunes really had to go. Enough. Do your songs. Forget crossovers. Too much crossover.

Philles/Motown Gary
05-09-2018, 10:26 PM
I think it is the theme from a 60s movie.
It may be the same "Walk On The Wild Side" that Marvin Gaye recorded on his "Hello Broadway" album.

TheMotownManiac
05-10-2018, 05:59 AM
I saw them do You’ll Never Walk Alone twice in Chicago and maybe once in St Louis and Jean blew the house down with it. She was dynamic and powerful - I think it was one of her best live songs but it was out of the act by fall 1970.

sup_fan
05-10-2018, 10:32 AM
was it her solo number in the show? seems that she rotated between MacArthur Park, People, He Ain't Heavy.

waynesville
05-12-2018, 04:52 PM
thanks for a most instructive and interesting piece of research.It backs up my conviction that the Motown top brass did not know what to do with the post Diana Ross Supremes. I'm convinced that they did not understand that they had to change along with the times, they couldn’t just repeat the success of Diana, they had to be different - and contemporary.
I mean, really, what was the point of old show tunes in 1970/71???
That said, I do fully understand that Motown wanted some continuity, and not to alienate the audience that the Supremes had. Big changes must have looked a big commercial risk. And I understand too that Motown's business model was, to a substantial extent, to bring black music to a white audience. And nothing wrong with that either.
But the risk should have been taken. The times they were a changing by 1970 and Motown didn't see it. And with Jean Terrell they had a more soulful vocalist better able to win an audience in the afro-American community with a new approach. There is an important - and overlooked - passage in Mary's second book to the effect that Jean felt very strongly that entertainers had to address social and political issues. Doing so was a key part of the Philadelphia mix which eventually supplanted Motown.
But Jean wouldn’t have had much support for this approach from Motown i guess. It is deeply telling that Berry Gordy hated Stoned Love - not just the greatest Supremes song from the Jean Terrel era, or indeed the greatest Supremes tune ever [[which it is) - but one of the culminating anthems of soul; one of the dozen or so tunes you would burn to dvd and giving a visiting Martian who wanted to know what soul was.

RanRan79
05-13-2018, 09:40 AM
thanks for a most instructive and interesting piece of research.It backs up my conviction that the Motown top brass did not know what to do with the post Diana Ross Supremes. I'm convinced that they did not understand that they had to change along with the times, they couldn’t just repeat the success of Diana, they had to be different - and contemporary.
I mean, really, what was the point of old show tunes in 1970/71???
That said, I do fully understand that Motown wanted some continuity, and not to alienate the audience that the Supremes had. Big changes must have looked a big commercial risk. And I understand too that Motown's business model was, to a substantial extent, to bring black music to a white audience. And nothing wrong with that either.
But the risk should have been taken. The times they were a changing by 1970 and Motown didn't see it. And with Jean Terrell they had a more soulful vocalist better able to win an audience in the afro-American community with a new approach. There is an important - and overlooked - passage in Mary's second book to the effect that Jean felt very strongly that entertainers had to address social and political issues. Doing so was a key part of the Philadelphia mix which eventually supplanted Motown.
But Jean wouldn’t have had much support for this approach from Motown i guess. It is deeply telling that Berry Gordy hated Stoned Love - not just the greatest Supremes song from the Jean Terrel era, or indeed the greatest Supremes tune ever [[which it is) - but one of the culminating anthems of soul; one of the dozen or so tunes you would burn to dvd and giving a visiting Martian who wanted to know what soul was.

While I 1000 percent disagree with your opinion regarding "Stoned Love" as the greatest Supremes song or as anthem of soul, the rest of your post is spot on. Probably an excellent summing up of the problem.