PDA

View Full Version : Dionne Warwick-Theme from Valley of the Dolls - Carol Burnett Show

test

marv2
04-30-2018, 09:40 PM
One of the greatest songs of the 60s.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXS6Z3RAXCY

Boogiedown
05-05-2018, 10:30 PM

---------------

Boogiedown
05-05-2018, 10:32 PM

I agree 100% Marv,
and THANK YOU for this live version , quite different from the 45 release , which I have likely played a thousand times . I special ordered it as an "oldies " 45 as a teen. That and Peggy Lee's IS THAT ALL THERE IS . :eek:

Dionne's voice was made for this song, no other would do.

Bluebrock
05-06-2018, 02:43 AM
I agree 100% Marv,
and THANK YOU for this live version , quite different from the 45 release , which I have likely played a thousand times . I special ordered it as an "oldies " 45 as a teen. That and Peggy Lee's IS THAT ALL THERE IS . :eek:

It is indeed magnificent. Just a beautiful song. Dionne was a formidable talent, and is without doubt one of the all time great female vocalists.

TomatoTom123
05-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Not familiar with this song [[or the live version) but I will check it out... I do like "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" from Dionne's Valley Of The Dolls album very much though... :rolleyes:

Eargasm
05-06-2018, 05:20 PM
I'm a tad biased of course, but I much prefer it by Gladys !..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0UzPztGLU

marv2
05-06-2018, 06:17 PM
If we are going to start talking about everyone that covered DIONNE's song, you might as well throw in the King Sisters from the King Family....gee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrDVbF5fA9U

marv2
05-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Even Patty Duke [[God rest her soul) had at it......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ztjAfT_6w

marv2
05-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Not familiar with this song [[or the live version) but I will check it out... I do like "Do You Know The Way To San Jose" from Dionne's Valley Of The Dolls album very much though... :rolleyes:

It was only probably the greatest song of the 1960s. I'm happy you are able to hear it now and here.

marv2
05-06-2018, 06:35 PM
I'm a tad biased of course, but I much prefer it by Gladys !..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0UzPztGLU

Gladys does a good job of course, but the production makes it sound as if they spliced together parts of the vocal when she makes the changes it doesn't flow as smoothly.

marv2
05-06-2018, 06:37 PM
I agree 100% Marv,

You are most welcome. Yes, the 45 released version is the one I am most familiar with hearing growing up. That was the one our local radio stations played. My mother record because it was from her favorite movie.

vgalindo
05-15-2018, 01:10 PM
This is indeed one of the greatest songs of the 60s. Love Dionne Warwick and this song is one of her best. Nobody can do it better than Dionne IMO.

TomatoTom123
05-16-2018, 08:38 AM
Well, I listened to Dionne's "Valley Of The Dolls" [[the studio version) and liked it. It seems like a good song, but the greatest song of the 60s? Maybe you guys oversold it to me [[or my expectations were too high) but I don't hear the greatest song of the 60s there, lol :D Of course, that is just my opinion... :)

Boogiedown
05-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Hey Tom Tom
At least you are in the receptive practice of giving songs like this a chance!

" Valley of the dolls " is one of those songs that futilely confronts , in three minutes or less, the 'what is the meaning of life ' issue [[lol) . I hear a confused angst In Dionne's delivery as her mind races contemplating the point of it all.

It's likely the song that first made me love the French horn sound .Which can also be heard in MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA, speaking of Gladys Knight.

Cheers!

marv2
05-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Hey Tom Tom

" Valley of the dolls " is one of those songs that futilely confronts , in three minutes or less, the 'what is the meaning of life ' issue [[lol) . I hear a confused angst In Dionne's delivery as her mind races contemplating the point of it all.

It's likely the song that first made me love the French horn sound .Which can also be heard in MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA, speaking of Gladys Knight.

Cheers!

I wished they still played real instruments in music recordings.

TomatoTom123
05-18-2018, 07:33 PM
Hey Tom Tom

Cheers!

Hey Boogie, I gave it another listen and liked it slightly more. So that's good. :p

So that sound is a French horn eh? Well there you go. I would never have made the comparison to "Midnight Train To Georgia", so thanks for that. In fact I've never really taken much notice of the horn in that one. I guess I've always focused on Gladys' lead and the wonderful [[and thoroughly engaging) backing vocals from The Pips!!!

Is that what the song was addressing? Oh my. Yeah I didn't really understand the track that much either, lol, which probably has something to do with me not falling in love with it. It's from a film which I have never seen either. So yeah :confused: :D

marv2
05-18-2018, 08:34 PM
Hey Boogie, I gave it another listen and liked it slightly more. So that's good. :p

So that sound is a French horn eh? Well there you go. I would never have made the comparison to "Midnight Train To Georgia", so thanks for that. In fact I've never really taken much notice of the horn in that one. I guess I've always focused on Gladys' lead and the wonderful [[and thoroughly engaging) backing vocals from The Pips!!!

Is that what the song was addressing? Oh my. Yeah I didn't really understand the track that much either, lol, which probably has something to do with me not falling in love with it. It's from a film which I have never seen either. So yeah :confused: :D

I am just curious. Were you around in 1968? The book, the film and the song were a deep part of pop culture at the time.

TomatoTom123
05-18-2018, 09:00 PM
I am just curious. Were you around in 1968? The book, the film and the song were a deep part of pop culture at the time.

Hey Marv, no, I wasn't around in 1968, on account of me, erm, not being born yet. :p

Bluebrock
05-19-2018, 02:54 AM
Hey Marv, no, I wasn't around in 1968, on account of me, erm, not being born yet. :p
The film is regarded by some critics as amongst one of the worst film ever made, and the book was widely derided but both did well in their respective markets which says much about public tastes. The song however was magical.

marv2
05-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Valley of the Dolls is the first novel by American writer Jacqueline Susann. Published in 1966, the book was the biggest selling novel of its year.To date, it has sold more than 31 million copies,making it one of the best-selling works in publishing history.

marv2
05-19-2018, 09:54 AM
The soundtrack to the film received an Academy Award for Best Music [[Scoring of Music - Adaptation or Treatment) [[John Williams).

It also won a Grammy Award for Best Original Score from a Motion Picture or Television Show [[André Previn).

marv2
05-19-2018, 10:10 AM
The film, "Valley of the Dolls", The box office was rather impressive, with 50 million USD worldwide gross against 5 million USD budget.

The single peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks in February 1968 and peaked at #2 on the Cash Box and #1 on the Record World charts as well. So as you can see all aspects of "Valley of the Dolls" the book, the film and the music were very successful!

theboyfromxtown
05-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Those dancers! lol

marv2
05-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Those dancers! lol

What? They were your typical corny TV show dancers from the sixties. LOL! Remember that Motown Ready Steady Go special with Dusty Springfield hosting? hehehehehehehehe!

midnightman
05-19-2018, 06:09 PM
It's a great song but greatest song of the '60s?

LOL

marv2
05-19-2018, 06:11 PM
One of the greatest songs of the 60s....... I know, because I was there.....LOL!

Boogiedown
05-20-2018, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the Gladys Knight version Eargasm!

I've now listened to it enough times to warm up to it. It's different, [[no French horn!) as to be expected. A little more raw.
I'm glad someone in the Motown fold took on this emotionally charged song.
Not surprised it was Gladys.

Bluebrock
05-21-2018, 02:17 AM
Well, I listened to Dionne's "Valley Of The Dolls" [[the studio version) and liked it. It seems like a good song, but the greatest song of the 60s? Maybe you guys oversold it to me [[or my expectations were too high) but I don't hear the greatest song of the 60s there, lol :D Of course, that is just my opinion... :)
It's a lovely song, but nowhere near the greatest song of the 60s. Much as i like it i don't even think it would make my top 10 of Dionne's 60s songs, but i respect other peoples right to disagree.

Bluebrock
05-21-2018, 02:19 AM
Valley of the Dolls is the first novel by American writer Jacqueline Susann. Published in 1966, the book was the biggest selling novel of its year.To date, it has sold more than 31 million copies,making it one of the best-selling works in publishing history.
Fifty shades of grey and its ghastly sequels have also sold well, but it doesn't mean they are good novels. Anything but.

marv2
05-21-2018, 02:59 AM
Fifty shades of grey and its ghastly sequels have also sold well, but it doesn't mean they are good novels. Anything but.

"Sold well"? You really don't understand. LOL!

marv2
05-21-2018, 04:34 AM
I agree 100% Marv,

I love how she just flows through the song never over singing it, but using her voice to emphasize certain lines that really brings it all home! It is one of my deserted island songs.

theboyfromxtown
05-21-2018, 02:08 PM
What? They were your typical corny TV show dancers from the sixties. LOL! Remember that Motown Ready Steady Go special with Dusty Springfield hosting? hehehehehehehehe!

I agree...what were they thinking!

midnightman
05-21-2018, 07:04 PM
"Sold well"? You really don't understand. LOL!

Does "31 million copies sold" ring a bell? LOL

TomatoTom123
05-21-2018, 07:14 PM
I don't know if it was successful here in the UK but I have never heard of it or seen it before. What's it about?

Why is Marv defending the film so much? Is Mary Wilson in it or something? [[ah I'm just jokin' Marv :))

midnightman
05-21-2018, 07:54 PM
Who knows? I've never seen such a strong response from him that wasn't Supremes related before!

Here's a fun fact about the film though: Judy Garland was going to be in the film but the director treated her like crap so she left the film. Susan Hayward replaced her.

sansradio
05-21-2018, 07:59 PM
I don't know if it was successful here in the UK but I have never heard of it or seen it before. What's it about?

Why is Marv defending the film so much? Is Mary Wilson in it or something? [[ah I'm just jokin' Marv :))

Cliffs Notes version: Three women in showbiz deal with life, competition, love and addiction. The “dolls” of the title are pills. The film is a real turkey but, for my money, one of my all-time favorite guilty camp pleasures.”SPARKLE, NEELY, SPARKLE!”🤣

midnightman
05-21-2018, 08:03 PM
Yeah, the film is a camp classic. The "kids" love it! Lol

And I'm sure they've done drag to Dionne's VOTD version. :D

marv2
05-21-2018, 08:57 PM

You need to ask Bluebrock that, I know it was a monumental success. I remember seeing the book in the homes of several of my relatives back then. The paperback.

marv2
05-21-2018, 09:02 PM

Why don't you get serious? The only intelligent thing you said in your post is that you did not know if it was successful in the UK. That may be the problem. We are in different countries. What is popular here may not be in England. Also you were not even born when this came out. When you have a question for me, I would appreciate it if you direct it to me. I will respond back to you. Who were you asking? I don't have to defend shit. The success of the book, movie and soundtrack is very well documented and because of the internet you can even look it up yourself..........in the UK!

marv2
05-21-2018, 09:05 PM

Bluebrock [[because he just likes to argue and always be on the wrong side LOL!) tried to make it appear that the novel, "Valley of the Dolls" sold well like your average New York Times Bestseller, when in reality, it was one of the best selling books of any kind in history! A smart man would never attack or try to play down that kind of success without looking extremely ignorant or bitter.

marv2
05-21-2018, 09:07 PM
Cliffs Notes version: Three women in showbiz deal with life, competition, love and addiction. The “dolls” of the title are pills. The film is a real turkey but, for my money, one of my all-time favorite guilty camp pleasures.”SPARKLE, NEELY, SPARKLE!”��

The drugs or the need for drugs was a forerunner of what is going on in America today! The inability to deal with pain of any kind has led millions here to self medicating, which has now led to record breaking levels of overdoses and death!

marv2
05-21-2018, 09:09 PM
I agree...what were they thinking!

hehehehehehehehe.......!

Bluebrock
05-22-2018, 02:59 AM
Bluebrock [[because he just likes to argue and always be on the wrong side LOL!) tried to make it appear that the novel, "Valley of the Dolls" sold well like your average New York Times Bestseller, when in reality, it was one of the best selling books of any kind in history! A smart man would never attack or try to play down that kind of success without looking extremely ignorant or bitter.
I could say a lot here but i shall not sink to your depths. For your information i saw the film in the 70's and thought it was highly enjoyable trash. I watched it again around 20 years ago and just found it to be trash. That is my opinion. You have yours. I am not going to change my mind on the subject and i do not expect you to change your mind. Perhaps my tastes are more discerning. Let us just agree to disagree and move on. I am a busy man and i am sure you must be busy planning a new Mary Wilson thread to enthrall us all with. Go and get on with it. I await it with baited breath...............

TomatoTom123
05-22-2018, 04:01 AM
Why don't you get serious? The only intelligent thing you said in your post is that you did not know if it was successful in the UK. That may be the problem. We are in different countries. What is popular here may not be in England. Also you were not even born when this came out. When you have a question for me, I would appreciate it if you direct it to me. I will respond back to you. Who were you asking? I don't have to defend shit. The success of the book, movie and soundtrack is very well documented and because of the internet you can even look it up yourself..........in the UK!

Ah Marv, I was just joking. Would it help if I added a ‘LOL!’ to my post? :p
Again, I'm joking.

TomatoTom123
05-22-2018, 04:03 AM
Cliffs Notes version: Three women in showbiz deal with life, competition, love and addiction. The “dolls” of the title are pills. The film is a real turkey but, for my money, one of my all-time favorite guilty camp pleasures.”SPARKLE, NEELY, SPARKLE!”🤣

Thanks sans. :)

sansradio
05-22-2018, 04:08 AM
Thanks sans. :)

Sure thing, Tom!

TomatoTom123
05-22-2018, 04:12 AM
Now, I just looked into it, and both the book and film sold very well, so were successful in that regard. The book has sold 31 million copies and is one of the best-selling books of all time, and the film made 50 million USD at box office compared to a 5 million USD budget. However, both received generally negative reviews. The book was widely panned by critics, and the film has a rating of 0% [[!!) on Rotten Tomatoes as reviewed by film critics. :)

sansradio
05-22-2018, 04:14 AM
Now, I just looked into it, and both the book and film sold very well, so were successful in that regard. The book has sold 31 million copies and is one of the best-selling books of all time, and the film made 50 million USD at box office compared to a 5 million USD budget. However, both received generally negative reviews. The book was widely panned by critics, and the film has an rating of 0% on Rotten Tomatoes as reviewed by film critics. :)

Damn! Rotten Tomatoes is a riot!🤣🤣🤣

midnightman
05-22-2018, 04:19 AM
Wow. 0%?! LOL that's cruel. :o

TomatoTom123
05-22-2018, 05:13 AM
Yea I know!!!! The average rating [[from everyone who has reviewed it?) is 31% but the film critic-reviewed rating is 0%!

sansradio
05-22-2018, 06:29 AM
Yea I know!!!! The average rating [[from everyone who has reviewed it?) is 31% but the film critic-reviewed rating is 0%!

As you’ve probably read by now, one reason for the film’s endurance is the fact that it features the highest profile acting role of Sharon Tate [[famously murdered by The Manson Family two years afterward.)

Boogiedown
05-22-2018, 07:29 AM
I love how she just flows through the song never over singing it, but using her voice to emphasize certain lines that really brings it all home! It is one of my deserted island songs.

I understand what you're saying, her phrasing is impeccable.

marv2
05-22-2018, 07:51 AM
I could say a lot here but i shall not sink to your depths. For your information i saw the film in the 70's and thought it was highly enjoyable trash. I watched it again around 20 years ago and just found it to be trash. That is my opinion. You have yours. I am not going to change my mind on the subject and i do not expect you to change your mind. Perhaps my tastes are more discerning. Let us just agree to disagree and move on. I am a busy man and i am sure you must be busy planning a new Mary Wilson thread to enthrall us all with. Go and get on with it. I await it with baited breath...............

This thread is about Dionne Warwick's performance of this classic song. It was you that turned this thread into something else. You need to stop it and stop trying to start wars. You do that all the time. Seek anger management help.

marv2
05-22-2018, 07:52 AM
I understand what you're saying, her phrasing is impeccable.

It is like she is alone and singing this song to herself.

marv2
05-22-2018, 07:55 AM
Now, I just looked into it, and both the book and film sold very well, so were successful in that regard. The book has sold 31 million copies and is one of the best-selling books of all time, and the film made 50 million USD at box office compared to a 5 million USD budget. However, both received generally negative reviews. The book was widely panned by critics, and the film has a rating of 0% [[!!) on Rotten Tomatoes as reviewed by film critics. :)

Now you have decide to waste time regurgitating what I had posted above huh?

TomatoTom123
05-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Now you have decide to waste time regurgitating what I had posted above huh?

Really? I’m trying hard here marv. You just told me to look it up, so I did, then you tell me off. In fact I am supporting what you said with some research of my own, as you told me to do. Call it a summary if you like.

Also, you didn't say nothin' about no negative reviews, so that's something I've added to the conversation. :p

midnightman
05-22-2018, 01:18 PM
"Why so serious?" - The Joker from The Dark Knight

Bluebrock
05-23-2018, 02:52 AM
This thread is about Dionne Warwick's performance of this classic song. It was you that turned this thread into something else. You need to stop it and stop trying to start wars. You do that all the time. Seek anger management help.
And Dionne's performance of the song is wonderful, but i still think the film was pure unadulterated trash. Why would i want to start a war with such an insignificant individual as yourself? If you don't like what i write then block me. End of problem. You have no need to get yourself all worked up over a trivial discussion such as this. Grow up and get yourself a life you sad little man.

Bluebrock
05-23-2018, 02:57 AM
Really? I’m trying hard here marv. You just told me to look it up, so I did, then you tell me off. In fact I am supporting what you said with some research of my own, as you told me to do. Call it a summary if you like.

Also, you didn't say nothin' about no negative reviews, so that's something I've added to the conversation. :p
Don't beat yourself up over this Tom. He accuses me of having anger management issues yet it is he who is reacting so wildly over the top. We do appear to have touched a raw nerve here, and we do not want to run the risk of him having a funny turn so it is perhaps for the best if we all move on. Glad you are liking the song by the way. It is a gem, but not an absolute classic in my opinion.

midnightman
05-24-2018, 11:08 AM
I love the song too but I just find it hilarious that in the era of Motown, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, psychedelic music and Stax that someone will defy all logic and say one song is greater than all that music that came out in the sixties. LMAO :p

Roberta75
05-24-2018, 03:42 PM
My nephew and his husband have a VOTD screening party every year or so and its a real fun event. Gay men adore that movie and can quote most of it. I never miss there VOTD party as its so much fun and everyone hollers the lines between Susan Hayward and Patty Duke. Im going to have to call my nephew and tell him to put another one of the calander.

Boogiedown
05-24-2018, 05:04 PM
My nephew and his husband have a VOTD screening party every year or so and its a real fun event. Gay men adore that movie and can quote most of it. I never miss there VOTD party as its so much fun and everyone hollers the lines between Susan Hayward and Patty Duke. Im going to have to call my nephew and tell him to put another one of the calander.

lol!! sounds like fun!!

Boogiedown
05-24-2018, 05:05 PM
It is like she is alone and singing this song to herself.

yes, exactly.

loganjlr
05-25-2018, 03:35 AM
Can anyone post the link for this medley she did of what I believe was an early 00s performance of Anyone Who Had A Heart / Theme From Valley of The Dolls on Top of The Pops? There was only one video of it on Youtube under a very nondescript name, and I think it was taken down. I don't know if she still includes it in her live sets, but it was one of my favorites since it was professionally filmed and shows her performing it in her modern jazzy voice.

Bluebrock
05-26-2018, 02:49 AM
Can anyone post the link for this medley she did of what I believe was an early 00s performance of Anyone Who Had A Heart / Theme From Valley of The Dolls on Top of The Pops? There was only one video of it on Youtube under a very nondescript name, and I think it was taken down. I don't know if she still includes it in her live sets, but it was one of my favorites since it was professionally filmed and shows her performing it in her modern jazzy voice.
I vaguely recall this, but i think it was from the 90's rather than the early oo's loganjlr. She also did something similar on a UK chat show. I think it may have been the Michael Parkinson show. Not seen either for many years.