PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson Sings "Strange Fruit" LIVE!

test

marv2
04-30-2018, 03:45 PM
Mary Wilson sings Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" live in concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igHX6V1IIGE

arr&bee
04-30-2018, 04:33 PM
Outstanding rendition,back in the day the stations banded this song but mary brings it out in full throated glory.

marv2
04-30-2018, 08:17 PM
It is the best performance of the song I have ever heard! She began doing this song in her symphony concerts in 1993. She would proceed the song by reading a passage from a book on Dred Scott.

BayouMotownMan
04-30-2018, 09:12 PM
She does a great job but this is not a good idea. That song was featured so prominently in Lady Sings that it only serves to make more comparisons. Why not do Good Morning Heartache too. She performs all of Ross's Supreme hits as though Ross doesn't exist, why dip into her Billie Holiday persona?

Roberta75
04-30-2018, 09:37 PM
She does a great job but this is not a good idea. That song was featured so prominently in Lady Sings that it only serves to make more comparisons. Why not do Good Morning Heartache too. She performs all of Ross's Supreme hits as though Ross doesn't exist, why dip into her Billie Holiday persona?

This is best version ever imo. Mary does a nice job but Dianas is far superior and beautifuly sung.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHPk-J20VBA

vgalindo
04-30-2018, 11:28 PM
This is best version ever imo. Mary does a nice job but Dianas is far superior and beautifuly sung.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHPk-J20VBA
Wow Roberta. Thank you. This was so amazing. And I agree Mary does a nice job but you can feel Diana's version. It gives me goosebumps.

jobeterob
05-01-2018, 12:10 AM
The Supremes songs are so unsuitable to Mary’s voice

That’s why the backgrounds were good in early Supremes songs - because there was a contrast

But when Mary sings them, it’s almost a male voice compared to Diana and nobody wants the gravelly sound Nary brings to those songs

Strange Fruit suits her more than any Supremes song

If she had ditched all the clinging to Diana, the Supremes and Motown 40 Years ago, she might have had a chance at a career that wasn’t dependent on her connection to Diana

copley
05-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Billie, Nina and Nona's versions are far superior!

midnightman
05-01-2018, 04:10 PM
It's Billie's song so I'd go with Billie.

That said, Nina's definitely can compete with the best version vs. Billie's.

Sorry, the Motowners lose out this time.

jobeterob
05-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Isn't it fair to say that Diana and the movie brought the song to prominence?

RanRan79
05-01-2018, 08:17 PM

I don't think so. The song was already famous. Diana's version is nice but I don't think it rates among other versions that people discuss.

sansradio
05-01-2018, 08:27 PM

No. Holiday’s double-sided recording of “Strange Fruit”/“Fine and Mellow” [Commodore, 1939] was a massive commercial and jukebox success, probably her biggest single; despite being banned in several markets, it became a major cause célèbre [[and, in some circles, sticking point) in its own time. One could argue that Diana’s take renewed interest in the song, but to say she brought it to prominence is ahistorical.

jobeterob
05-01-2018, 10:19 PM
Interesting; I did not know of Strange Fruit and God Bless the Child prior to Diana - but some of that comes from living in Canada; Johnny Cash and Tammy Wynette were far more accessible.

This is an example of what Motown did in breaking down barriers

sansradio
05-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Interesting; I did not know of Strange Fruit and God Bless the Child prior to Diana - but some of that comes from living in Canada; Johnny Cash and Tammy Wynette were far more accessible.

This is an example of what Motown did in breaking down barriers

Absolutely. If it weren’t for LSTB, I wouldn’t be the jazz enthusiast I am today.

Check out David Margolick’s book STRANGE FRUIT: THE BIOGRAPHY OF A SONG when you can. It’s a quick read [[about 100 pp., IIRC) and full of fascinating backstory. Highly recommended.

jobeterob
05-02-2018, 01:30 AM
Absolutely. If it weren’t for LSTB, I wouldn’t be the jazz enthusiast I am today.

Check out David Margolick’s book STRANGE FRUIT: THE BIOGRAPHY OF A SONG when you can. It’s a quick read [[about 100 pp., IIRC) and full of fascinating backstory. Highly recommended.

Thanks; will do

PeaceNHarmony
05-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Agreed - a great and interesting book. I believe it's the same author who wrote a book about the song White Christmas. Diana and LSTB certainly gave new life and a new audience to the song and to Holiday herself, though Diana's detractors have been saying otherwise for decades. Before the release of LSTB us Holiday fans had just a few legit in-print titles to choose from and a handful of grey-market bootlegs. Ever since the movie's release most of Billie's catalog has remained in print. But of course that could just be a mere coincidence ... :rolleyes:

TheMotownManiac
05-02-2018, 03:53 PM
I think Diana does a great job on it…… But I agree that Billy and Nina do better. I think vocally mary does a great job on it, but, and this is what irritates me about mary‘s vocals more than anything else, is that her phrasing is often so off-base, that either she has absolutely no idea what she singing about, or doesn’t care. Yes it’s wonderful that she can hold the note on leaves forever, but there’s no reason to emphasize that word in the meaning of the song…… Maybe it’s because the lyric is tree and not leaves which she mistakenly says, which leads me to believe she’s not thinking about what she singing. But the girl can sing!

sansradio
05-02-2018, 05:26 PM
I think Diana does a great job on it…… But I agree that Billy and Nina do better. I think vocally mary does a great job on it, but, and this is what irritates me about mary‘s vocals more than anything else, is that her phrasing is often so off-base, that either she has absolutely no idea what she singing about, or doesn’t care. Yes it’s wonderful that she can hold the note on leaves forever, but there’s no reason to emphasize that word in the meaning of the song…… Maybe it’s because the lyric is tree and not leaves which she mistakenly says, which leads me to believe she’s not thinking about what she singing. But the girl can sing!

You bring up a valid criticism. Mary did not have a firm grasp on the lyrics at this performance and, frankly, it irritated me. This is a song where the lyric is all. You cannot fudge it or it fails. Hard pass.

thanxal
05-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Billie Holiday.

Lady in Satin.
Lady Sings the Blues.
At Carnegie Hall.

As much as I love Motown, and I do, nothing comes close to this in emotive spirit. Not even Ella, which is saying a lot, culturally speaking.

I love Diana’s reinterpretation, but no. Mary, also no.

Billie stands alone in this regard.