PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the temptations new line-up

test

DrTemptation
04-27-2018, 09:02 PM
The Temptations have made many changes down through the years. My favorite will always be The Orginal 5 plus Dennis. Some changes good and some bad. Ollie Ali Woodson was an excellent change. GC Cameron and Bruce Williamson not so good. Louis Price wasn't bad, he just followed Dennis Edwards and Dennis set the bar very high.

The more we change,the more we stay true to ourselves. We’re about singing straight-up soul. It’s a style that will live on forever.
— Ron Tyson

“Our challenge,” says Williams, “is to live in the present while respecting the past. Our past is filled with riches only a fool would discard. At the same time, we thrive on competition. As a Motowner, I grew up in the most competitive musical atmosphere imaginable. But we also understand that for a group with history, no matter how glorious that history might be, reinvention is the name of the game.”

“When I tell people we are God’s group,” says Otis, a remarkable, modest man, “I don’t mean it arrogantly. It’s just that we have been tested time and again and keep coming back. We have suffered the deaths of so many legendary singers…Paul Williams, David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Melvin Franklin. Other’s like Dennis Edwards, Richard Street, Ali-Ollie Woodson, and Theo Peoples have left, and yet our unity is tighter, our sound brighter, and our popularity greater. Someone has watched over this group. Someone has protected our integrity. Someone has said…just go on singing and it’ll get better.”

Larry Braggs is passionate, powerful and very spiritual. These are also the amazing attributes of the voice of this two-time Grammy-nominated artist. Cut from the same cloth as some of the world’s greatest vocalists, Larry has one of the most notable voices in the business. With a vocal range over three octaves and a command of the stage like no other, Larry has become one of the most electrifying entertainers on tour. This has gained him the respect and praise of his peers and fans all over the world. Larry sang with Tower of Power.

Willie Greene Jr. is a Bass vocalist who was born in Birmingham, Alabama. In the early-sixties Willie first saw The Temptations on The Lloyd Thaxton Show. They sang “The Way you do The Things you do” and “Get Ready”. Even though I was just a child… I knew that I was a “Temptation Forever!” Throughout my career I have had the honor, privilege and pleasure of recording and performing with Lyle Lovett, Ry Cooder, Dolly Parton, John Fogerty, George Harrison[[The Beatles)….This opportunity to become a part of the “Great Temptation Legacy” is truly God’s greatest musical gift to me! I would like to thank Mr. Otis Williams for his tenacity in keeping the group together and granting me this opportunity!

Check out web page TEMPTATIONS 55 YRS AND GOING STRONG

marv2
04-28-2018, 01:35 AM
I think the new line-up of the Temptations is a solid one! Visually they are more uniform than recent past editions and they sound great! I listened to their live performance at Coney Island from last summer and they had the sound down! I wish them the best and many more years of pleasing audiences.

arr&bee
04-30-2018, 04:37 PM
The current group is good enough,i applaud otis for keeping the temps in the recording studio at a time in music history when most[oldtimers?]can't get a sniff of a new recording.

midnightman
05-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Probably their strongest lineup since the 1998-03 lineup of Otis, Ron, Terry, Harry and Bo.

Fourtopsbiggestfan
05-01-2018, 02:45 PM
They can do better. It's not gonna be ant PHOENIX RISING. Kissing butt by doing crossover songs and so called modern songs. Most is crap. Quit being sell outs.

char
07-01-2020, 07:56 PM
I cant the original 5 stays on my mind i appreciate you mr otis but i cant see or hear anybody replace melvin, paul , david or eddie. To me they try to hard

nativeNY63
07-02-2020, 06:56 AM
I cant the original 5 stays on my mind i appreciate you mr otis but i cant see or hear anybody replace melvin, paul , david or eddie. To me they try to hard

'Nuff said.

soulwally
07-02-2020, 02:24 PM
The lineup has one Mario Corbino in to replace Braggs as of last month

Ngroove
07-03-2020, 12:35 AM

To each their own, even as I LOVE the smooth suits and choreography of the David Ruffin years.

However, I remember back around 99', when I first heard "Stay" on the radio, and I played along with guessing "The Temptations"; perhaps it was from sampling James Jamerson's "My Girl" licks, or Ron Tyson's Eddie Kendricks-esque falsetto, or the overall group family harmony vibe, was Temptations. Then, the second after the song ended, the radio jockey said that was the Temptations. With eyes widened, I went "WHOA! THE Temptations?".

They still sounded smooth and contemporary with the styles of then-R&B at the time, along with keeping it cool-y uniform Temptations at the same time. Many of their peers around their first round of popularity, would usually fade out of new hitted recordings by the seventies or eighties. But the Tempts still got it.

nativeNY63
07-03-2020, 08:48 AM
To each their own, even as I LOVE the smooth suits and choreography of the David Ruffin years.

However, I remember back around 99', when I first heard "Stay" on the radio, and I played along with guessing "The Temptations"; perhaps it was from sampling James Jamerson's "My Girl" licks, or Ron Tyson's Eddie Kendricks-esque falsetto, or the overall group family harmony vibe, was Temptations. Then, the second after the song ended, the radio jockey said that was the Temptations. With eyes widened, I went "WHOA! THE Temptations?".

They still sounded smooth and contemporary with the styles of then-R&B at the time, along with keeping it cool-y uniform Temptations at the same time. Many of their peers around their first round of popularity, would usually fade out of new hitted recordings by the seventies or eighties. But the Tempts still got it.

They never lost it! I remember when Stay dropped too. Only I thought, in the '90s, that it was an unreleased gem from the early 70s or 80s! Nowadays, to borrow a TV industry term, it would be called a reboot.

kenneth
07-05-2020, 12:57 AM
I saw them tonight on the capital fourth concert on PBS. They looked and sounded great. I was surprised though at one thing. It looked like Otis was singing the lead on the song “get ready“. Can anyone confirm that was Otis? I never thought of him as a high tenor in anyway but he was really sounding quite a bit like Eddie Kendricks!

midnightman
07-05-2020, 01:12 AM
I saw them tonight on the capital fourth concert on PBS. They looked and sounded great. I was surprised though at one thing. It looked like Otis was singing the lead on the song “get ready“. Can anyone confirm that was Otis? I never thought of him as a high tenor in anyway but he was really sounding quite a bit like Eddie Kendricks!

That had to have been Ron Tyson, who is the second longest-serving Temptation [[37 years).

kenneth
07-05-2020, 01:14 AM
That had to have been Ron Tyson, who is the second longest-serving Temptation [[37 years).

I think you are right! I knew he looked familiar, and yes I believe it was him.