PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes Sing HDH [Expanded 2CD Edition] - 6/15/2018

test

Pages : 1 [2]

George Solomon
07-03-2018, 05:45 PM
I'm curious, was an alternate take ever found in the vaults of 'There's No Stopping Us Now' with a better sax break? I'm wondering what the story is behind the awful sax 'squeak' in that song, and why it was left in the final version.
That's the only one found. No alternate and nothing after the fade.

copley
07-03-2018, 08:46 PM
George, we still can't buy it in the UK except at import prices! Help please :[[

marybrewster
07-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Roll call, honey!

Who's tuned in to Nightflight?

Fourtopsbiggestfan
07-03-2018, 09:30 PM
I'm curious, was an alternate take ever found in the vaults of 'There's No Stopping Us Now' with a better sax break? I'm wondering what the story is behind the awful sax 'squeak' in that song, and why it was left in the final version.
I always noticed that myself. Funny. Love the imperfections.

vgalindo
07-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Roll call, honey!

I'm listening to it right now!

fightingirish46
07-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Roll call, honey!

I am! ~James from Newburgh, NY [[First time listener)

fightingirish46
07-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Anyone know the history of keeping in the "squeak" in There's No Stopping Us Now? Surprised Motown QC allowed that.

Philles/Motown Gary
07-03-2018, 10:25 PM
Anyone know the history of keeping in the "squeak" in There's No Stopping Us Now? Surprised Motown QC allowed that.

No, I sure don't, fightingirish. I commented on that myself a week or two ago. Back in high school band, whenever one of the sax players or clarinet players squeaked, the band director would stop mid-song and make the 'guilty' party check to see if their reed had split. It's always baffled me as to how Motown's Quality Control let that one slip through. I've been cringing since I first heard that annoying squeak in 1967!

sophisticated_soul
07-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Mine arrived this afternoon. Awesome.:cool:

carlo
07-04-2018, 09:25 AM
George, we still can't buy it in the UK except at import prices! Help please :[[

Copley, try importcds. The release is currently on backorder, but I am sure it will not take long until they receive more stock. With shipping added, I believe it will cost you less than 20 pounds.

https://www.importcds.com/the-supremes-sing-holland-dozier-holland-expanded-edition/602567368526

Otherwise I believe the EU release date is July 20th and it will likely be cheaper to ship to the UK after that date, if you are willing to wait it out. Sorry to hear it is not available yet as a non-import release :[[

carlo
07-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Great show John, Andy and George! I found it interesting that several seconds of the extended mix of The Happening had to be cut from the final release, due to time restrictions and that you guys aired the full version on the broadcast. I also picked up on the track sounding "different" to my ears during the broadcast, but chalked it up to me possibly not paying enough attention to the version on the CD. Nice to know that I picked up on that and was not going crazy :)

daviddh
07-04-2018, 12:11 PM
thanks Johnny, Andy ,George. and team. you made our holidays special.
we love you guys for all you do even though we complain,,,,but not directed at any of you. thank you for giving us these treasures
would be interested in Diana or Marys feedback
damn I missed the show celebrating my daughters b day

vgalindo
07-04-2018, 02:19 PM
Yes thank you John, Andy, And George. I really enjoyed the show.

Fourtopsbiggestfan
07-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Yes. It's finally here. Thank you to all who put in such hard work and caring to make this release happen.

144man
07-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Will the EU date automatically be the UK date? We haven't left just yet.

kenneth
07-06-2018, 10:26 AM
Guys, don't forget to post some reviews on Amazon to help spur sales. Lavishing praise on the album here is preaching to the choir. Let's help encourage more releases.

thommg
07-06-2018, 11:47 AM
I always look forward to that sax squeak. It's one reason I prefer the mono to the stereo version of the song - the sax is more prominent on the mono.

Fourtopsbiggestfan
07-07-2018, 12:45 AM
My favorite is, let's just say I've been GOINN DOWN FOR MILLIONTH TIME.😁😁

booty
07-07-2018, 12:18 PM

£19.61 plus postage on amazon.co.uk via their global store. Total cost £22.50. Ordered mine on 1st July and it arrived yesterday.

reese
07-07-2018, 02:59 PM
I received my copy yesterday and stayed up all night listening to it. Thanks again, George, Andy, and the rest of the guys.

Motown Eddie
07-07-2018, 03:21 PM
No, I sure don't, fightingirish. I commented on that myself a week or two ago. Back in high school band, whenever one of the sax players or clarinet players squeaked, the band director would stop mid-song and make the 'guilty' party check to see if their reed had split. It's always baffled me as to how Motown's Quality Control let that one slip through. I've been cringing since I first heard that annoying squeak in 1967!

I feel the same way about the sax break of "There's No Stopping Us Now". That 'squeak' is not as noticeable on the stereo mix of the song but it really stands out like a sore thumb on the mono mix. While I agree that Motown's 'quality control' should've corrected it, all I can think of is that quote from B.G. years ago stating that he likes "certain types of mistakes".

Philles/Motown Gary
07-07-2018, 04:08 PM
I feel the same way about the sax break of "There's No Stopping Us Now". That 'squeak' is not as noticeable on the stereo mix of the song but it really stands out like a sore thumb on the mono mix. While I agree that Motown's 'quality control' should've corrected it, all I can think of is that quote from B.G. years ago stating that he likes "certain types of mistakes".

If that's the case, MotownEddie, B.G. must have been thrilled with this one!

Jimi LaLumia
07-07-2018, 05:20 PM
hate to spoil the party, but I love the squeak and look forward to it everytime!

jobeterob
07-07-2018, 06:35 PM
I received my copy yesterday and stayed up all night listening to it. Thanks again, George, Andy, and the rest of the guys.

Awesome to hear

daviddh
07-07-2018, 08:42 PM
i would think when they cds sell out Universal would want the next ready to go.strange

I thought all these deluxe editions have sold out

soulster
07-07-2018, 09:52 PM
I listened to the set on Spotify and have decided that I don't need this set after all. Good. I can save some money.

Bluebrock
07-08-2018, 02:33 AM
I listened to the set on Spotify and have decided that I don't need this set after all. Good. I can save some money.
Good for you, but if we don't continue to support these releases they are likely to cease and that would never do. Your choice of course, but these editions are aimed at us "anoraks" and if we are not willing to support them there is unlikely to be sufficient interest from the casual punters to spend their cash on them. I will continue to buy them for as long as they continue.

kenneth
07-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Nice to see lots of 5 star reviews on Amazon! The album appears to be doing very well with critics and fans. I just got my copy yesterday and played it through once. It's nice to have one of the last live performances with Florence present even though the show doesn't vary a great deal from the concerts we've already heard. The mono/stereo versions of the album tracks are beautifully done and very nicely mastered. My favorite tracks from the album are still my favorite tracks, "Remove This Doubt," "Going Down for the Third Time," and of course "You Keep Me Hangin' On."

I don't think it's quite as transformational a remaster as "A Go Go," only because the original "Go Go" album was, to me, not very well mastered and many of the arrangements had a very thin sound to them. The expanded edition really pumped up the album tracks and brought out so much in them I hadn't heard before most notably the hand claps on "These Boots are Made for Walkin.'" But "Sing HDH" is a very important piece in the Supremes' body of work. I'm going to listen to it a few more times and then post a review on AZ.

Just one question...does anyone else have the urge to strip [[or at least disrobe) when they hear the opening to "You're Gone [[but Always in My Heart)"? I swear, if there was a stripper pole handy...

Jimi LaLumia
07-08-2018, 01:12 PM
right on Bluebrock....

floyjoy678
07-08-2018, 01:31 PM
I'm listening to the extended "You can't hurry love" and to where the vocals isolate it sounds like Mary and Flo to me. You guys sure Marlene's in there? Also I used to think it was the andantes on "There's No Stopping Us" but listening to the mono version it sounds like them with Mary and Flo.

CoolKatz
07-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Here is what I'm hearing-On there's no stopping mono I hear Flo and Mary on the unison vocals shadowing Diana's lead,and with Diana when they sing There's No stopping us now" and the oohs. I hear the Andantes maybe with Flo and Mary on the responses [[Now that we face the unknown.etc) kinda like with In and Out of Love" where the Andantes do the Look, Look, Looking for a love part). Both are almost muted completely on the stereo except the oohs and the responses

antceleb12
07-08-2018, 03:17 PM
I'm listening to the extended "You can't hurry love" and to where the vocals isolate it sounds like Mary and Flo to me. You guys sure Marlene's in there? Also I used to think it was the andantes on "There's No Stopping Us" but listening to the mono version it sounds like them with Mary and Flo.

As much as I want to believe its Florence, it does not sound like Florence to me. Listen to their Italian rendition of the song, "L'amore verra," which Florence IS present on. The tone on the backgrounds sound noticeably different. Unfortunately I believe Fit is Mary and Marlene on YCHL.

Quinn
07-08-2018, 03:17 PM
I've had my copy for a week now and I'm very pleased with it. The packaging is great and the informative booklets are a godsend. I especially had a great time comparing the timelines of "A Go Go" and "Sings HDH" and connecting the dots where possible. However,this release made me take notice of how far us Motown fans and Universal have come. From the releases all the way to the executives, so many phases and changes. Since the industry itself isn't what it used to be we don't get as many diverse releases as we once did and quantity has plummeted. It's also a gas to see Universal Mastering- East reclaim it's rightful place as the mecca of sound restoration. Sterling Sound seemed to be a UMe favorite for quite awhile,but we're home again. So without getting too sentimental here,I would like to thank all the personnel who had any interest in where we are today in no particular order.

Harry Weinger, Bill Levenson, Amy Herot, Dana Smart, Pat Lawrence, Andy Skurow[[you know how to find 'em), Keith Hughes, Paul Nixon, George Solomon, Candace Bond,Cary Mansfield and everyone else past and present who has gotten us to the present time.

On the sound side: Kevin Reeves[[ still hangin' in), Ellen Fitton, Suha Gur, Jeff Willens, Seth Foster, Bill Inglot, Dan Hersch, Gavin Lurssen, Leslie Ann Jones, Phil Nicolo, Gary Moore [[U.K.), Obie O'Brien and everyone else involved. Wherever technology stood at any given time,you did your very best to ensure that fans heard what they loved in the freshest way possible.

And finally to the fans around the world and the immediate musical family here at Soulful Detroit, Thank You. We've lost so many members throughout the years, but we manage. It's been a phenomenal ride for such a long time.

"Ross" may be the next release unless canceled, but I'm looking forward to "Reflections" in 2019. 25 + years and still going....

CoolKatz
07-08-2018, 03:46 PM
As much as I want to believe its Florence, it does not sound like Florence to me. Listen to their Italian rendition of the song, "L'amore verra," which Florence IS present on. The tone on the backgrounds sound noticeably different. Unfortunately I believe Fit is Mary and Marlene on YCHL.

Imo it's a great possibility that it's not Flo, although the tone sounds similar to Flo. It's hurtful to to us fan to realized we might have been duped but in my eyes I can always see Flo with Mary and Diana banging the tambourine and performing the song and having fun, so It will always be an original Supremes song regardless of who might or might not have stepped in the studio. It was the original ladies who sang it live and promoted it on T.V. and that's who we identify it with! It was sold to us as the original Supremes and it's how I will always see it.

sup_fan
07-08-2018, 06:04 PM
If you read the A Go Go expanded liner notes careful you’ll read in the essay the flo skipped the recording date on 7/5/66 and Marlene did it. In the essay they list a few songs like Misery Makes It Heart and others. In the essay they don’t list YCHL. But if you go to the track by track notes you see the background vocals were recorded on July 5. It’s marlene. Not flo

luckyluckyme
07-08-2018, 08:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CksGyq_JZFA

thommg
07-08-2018, 08:36 PM

Sometimes don't you wish there was a "Love" button on here????

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
07-09-2018, 05:05 AM
I'm loving the new release! I'm so thankful we're finally getting physical releases again. I don't know why you'd only be content with just merely downloading or pressing play on a streaming site. You get so much more with the physical version, full information about the songs, the timeline history of the group and rare photos and artwork from around the world! The last few releases have been even more detailed, including information about the new mixes and letting you know where to get all of the previously released mixes. [[Okay, I guess some people don't care, but it's very helpful for those of us who've been collecting everything throughout the years to remember what the differences are for everything we have.) I love all of the new mixes too, it's like being in the studio and having the multi-tracks in front of you and having fun isolating all of the different tracks, hearing all of those different parts that come together to make the final masterpieces! And as a contrast to the new stuff, you also get a genuine '60s time capsule with the inclusion of the reproduced tour books from the time.

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
07-09-2018, 05:16 AM
Only thing I'm wondering is what happened to the "I Can’t Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) – Where Did Our Love Go [[Motown Mashup)" that was original mentioned earlier in this thread when they first released the track list? I was excited waiting to find out what that would've sounded like and now it ended up not being included...

CoolKatz
07-09-2018, 06:03 AM
Scherrie and Joyce are from Detroit and I can tell that this means a lot to them because they were around and knew the Supremes. Susaye is totally giving me Eartha Kitt here!

Fourtopsbiggestfan
07-09-2018, 06:27 AM
Sometimes don't you wish there was a "Love" button on here????

They are fantastic. Love it. Makes me wanna listen to that particular sing more now.

jobucats
07-09-2018, 07:26 AM

Ha! Ha! I am loving this. I can tolerate that squeak so much more than I can the "wrong note" of the celeste/vibraphone [[bell-like) instrument in "Everything's Good About You." Part of the moving, rhythmic pattern is that it moves up one step for each phrase [[as evident throughout the song). Just before Diana sings [[at the :23 mark), "You brighten my whole world," the instrument does not move up one step which throws off the flow of the song for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyVQW9Go7U4

kenneth
07-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Scherrie and Joyce are from Detroit and I can tell that this means a lot to them because they were around and knew the Supremes. Susaye is totally giving me Eartha Kitt here!

I never realized before that Susaye can sing in Diane's key. She sounds fabulous on the excerpt of "Love is Here and Now You're Gone." Her voice has never made me think of Diane's before, but in this impromptu vocal she really sounds like Ross but then takes the song and makes it sound like her own style.

And how classy of these three classy ladies to promote an album that they don't even sing on!

thommg
07-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Ha! Ha! I am loving this. I can tolerate that squeak so much more than I can the "wrong note" of the celeste/vibraphone [[bell-like) instrument in "Everything's Good About You." Part of the moving, rhythmic pattern is that it moves up one step for each phrase [[as evident throughout the song). Just before Diana sings [[at the :23 mark), "You brighten my whole world," the instrument does not move up one step which throws off the flow of the song for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyVQW9Go7U4

Well, thanks a lot, jobucats! I never really noticed that before and now I can't stop hearing it!!! ;)

marybrewster
07-09-2018, 07:43 PM
There was a great post on the Expanded Editions Facebook page about the FLO's getting their copies of the new HDH set. How wonderful that they thanked so many involved in these projects.

Of course some jackass had to post that they didn't thank Diana.

jobucats
07-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Well, thanks a lot, jobucats! I never really noticed that before and now I can't stop hearing it!!! ;)
Now someone else can share my pain. Ha! I recall back in the 60s hearing the song for the first time and saying to myself, “I sure do like those little bells making their own little melody.” All of sudden there was that wrong note that was so out of place. A redeeming factor is that there is a version on some recent compilation where it doesn’t stick out as much.

TomatoTom123
07-09-2018, 08:51 PM

That is absolutely bloody fantastic and Susaye sounds wonderful! I haven't even bought this CD yet but I think I will do right now. :D

kenneth
07-09-2018, 10:08 PM
There was a great post on the Expanded Editions Facebook page about the FLO's getting their copies of the new HDH set. How wonderful that they thanked so many involved in these projects.

Of course some jackass had to post that they didn't thank Diana.

I don't understand that. They thanked all of them by promoting the album.

khansperac
07-09-2018, 10:53 PM
I never understood the reason to bring up crap from other sites/forums to this site. Leave whatever it is, over there.

kenneth
07-09-2018, 11:25 PM
I never understood the reason to bring up crap from other sites/forums to this site. Leave whatever it is, over there.

You're right of course.

Bluebrock
07-10-2018, 02:19 AM
£19.61 plus postage on amazon.co.uk via their global store. Total cost £22.50. Ordered mine on 1st July and it arrived yesterday.
It's now dropped to £13.99 which is a pretty good deal in my book. I ordered mine yesterday.

mysterysinger
07-10-2018, 04:10 AM
Yes £13.99 with a free mp3 version of the album on autorip. Bargain.

gordy_hunk
07-10-2018, 04:39 AM
It's now dropped to £13.99 which is a pretty good deal in my book. I ordered mine yesterday.

Me too - I wasn't sure it was the extended version at first, as it's suddenly appeared, and at this price too. As the download is linked to it - I knew it was the right one :-)

TheMotownManiac
07-11-2018, 02:22 PM
If that's the case, MotownEddie, B.G. must have been thrilled with this one!
LOL - thank you!

Philles/Motown Gary
07-11-2018, 03:16 PM
LOL - thank you!
You're welcome! 😁

mysterysinger
07-11-2018, 06:33 PM
Phew! Thankfully I pre-ordered from Amazon at £13.99 and was able to download the free autorip album immediately even though the release date is 3rd August [[no booklet though). Today the price is up to £20.36. Weird.

Circa 1824
07-13-2018, 03:37 PM
I am curious when Diana went from being "the skinny one" to being "the intelligent one?"

carlo
07-14-2018, 09:18 AM
I am curious when Diana went from being "the skinny one" to being "the intelligent one?"

Not sure if my memory is correct with this one...but wasn't it the other way around? She introduced herself as the intelligent one at some of their earlier shows and then it became "the skinny one".

bradsupremes
07-14-2018, 06:47 PM
If you listen to the At The Copa album, she refers to herself as the "Intelligent One." This was recorded in July 1965. The Roostertail '66 show on the I Hear A Symphony Expanded Edition she calls herself the "Skinny One," but also jokes she's the "Intelligent One." That show was recorded in September 1966. My guess is the dialogue was changed sometime in 1966. She drops the "Intelligent One" line by the May 1967 Copa show.

I find it interesting Diana was the Skinny One, Mary was the Sexy One, Florence was the Quite One, and if you listen to the Opening Medley cut from the Supremes Join The Temptations album, Eddie refers to Cindy as the Shy One. I wonder if that was included just for the album or if they referred to Cindy as the Shy One during their stage patter.

franjoy56
07-15-2018, 03:16 PM
This new set is imho the best of the 5 supremes studio albums by the original trio. It does not get any better. The new mixes are exquisite. these tracks were recorded in 66 or earlier and when released in 67 i had no idea this would be the last full length studio album featuring flo. She brought her a game to many of the backing tracks here and they highlight diana,s lead vocals. Im so glad they included the alternate vocal ykmho wiith the heightened vocals. Going down for the third time om goodness. And that last copa show is the best of the three they did. I was at t 66 show and this one shows a vast improvement. Even though diana had a cold her vocals come right on through unlike the 65 copa show where ther were some audio issues. I noticed mary and especially flo got a lot of adlibbing during some of the performances 67 copa performances, and yes ithis release is iconic because it is the last time other than the rogers and hart release that we would see the supremes in their original form. Im not sure i will be buying reflections unless something is on that set that i never heard and it is either dmf or dmc.

floyjoy678
07-16-2018, 12:44 PM
I always wondered if they continued the group introductions after Flo left. It'd make sense that they wouldn't for two reasons:
1. Cindy's inclusion was very hush hush at first. It was just like "oh there's a new girl" and doing a group introduction would just bring more attention to the fact that Flo was replaced.

2. Diana was being built up as the star of the group. Her name and face needed to be out there so she could successfully leave the group eventually and be a success on her own. It didn't matter who was singing with her at that point, no group introductions needed. "Hi we're the Supremes we'd like to do medley..."

Skyliner
07-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Mary and Cindy were prominently introduced Dec 8, 1968 on the "TCB" television special.

Circa 1824
07-17-2018, 04:42 PM
When the Copa album came out, I played it 100's of times. I loved it. I am no longer into Supremes live performances. I really don't notice the difference between one show or another, nor care if it was Flo or Cindy. On the new expanded CD, I do like Diana's huskier voice due to having a cold.

franjoy56
07-18-2018, 10:06 PM
well i definetly care if its or cindy bsck because there is a definite difference in t supremes sound afterall it is the supremes since ross was still a group member

franjoy56
07-18-2018, 10:07 PM
If it is flo or cindy

franjoy56
07-19-2018, 09:53 AM
the sound of a suptemes show is definetly not thr same when flo is in the lineup singing as opposed t cindy. No pun intended

Circa 1824
07-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Am I the only one shocked when Miss Wilson shouts "I cannot do it anymore" at the end of I Guess Ill Always Love You? Good Lord, what a work ethic. I never heard the big star say such a stupid thing.

lucky2012
07-21-2018, 10:16 AM
Am I the only one shocked when Miss Wilson shouts "I cannot do it anymore" at the end of I Guess Ill Always Love You? Good Lord, what a work ethic. I never heard the big star say such a stupid thing.
Lol. I was shocked too but for me it was amusing and showed that they were having a good time while working.

bradsupremes
07-21-2018, 11:58 AM

Jesus, she was joking around laughing.

You say you never heard the big star say such a stupid thing...go listen to the new mix of “Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart,” at the end she says “Ain’t that enough?!” I guess by your standards that was a stupid thing to stay. What a work ethic.

johnjeb
07-21-2018, 12:08 PM
I am not at home to listen to this song for verification but I seem to recall that at the beginning of the recording Mary says something like "we can do that", so her work ethic is just fine.

I got the impression they were being asked to do something a little out of the ordinary or out of their usual vocal range.

Also, we don't know how many takes they did on this song before she made her comment about reaching her limit.

alanbill1074
07-21-2018, 12:44 PM
She's probably talking about the many chorus repetitions you sing at The end of a track

jobucats
07-21-2018, 03:19 PM
She's probably talking about the many chorus repetitions you sing at The end of a track

Also the song keeps modulating higher and higher in pitch thus requiring her to switch from a more chest like voice to a head voice which is quite tricky for an alto to jump to a soprano voicing.

thanxal
07-21-2018, 08:14 PM
Well known anti-Mary troll, peeps. Not worth our time.

SoulgusUK
07-27-2018, 04:05 PM
I have just pre-ordered a copy from AmazonUK at bargain price of £9.99.

alanbill1074
07-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Nice one. I ended up importing, again. I wish they'd sync their release dates or at least advertise them sooner.

Bluebrock
07-28-2018, 02:56 AM
Nice one. I ended up importing, again. I wish they'd sync their release dates or at least advertise them sooner.
It's now dropped to £9.99 on Amazon UK.

mysterysinger
07-28-2018, 05:32 AM
£9.99 with immediate free autorip mp3 download. Yep so now I have 2 downloads available. Any clever ideas? At least the real thing will be here soon [[the CDs).

TheMotownManiac
07-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Diana's vocals were ALWAYS smack-dab on the beat or a teeny-tiny bit ahead of the beat. That was her style and I loved it. But, on Going Down for the Third Time, at 1:44, she is a tad bit late coming in when she says, "Reach out your hand for me...." I wonder if she momentarily got lost and missed her usual cue? If so, she instantly recovered which demonstrated her innate brilliance.

Im sure it’s on purpose as it keeps the beginning of each verse from being rote on a vocal that is spot on.

TheMotownManiac
07-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Good for you, but if we don't continue to support these releases they are likely to cease and that would never do. Your choice of course, but these editions are aimed at us "anoraks" and if we are not willing to support them there is unlikely to be sufficient interest from the casual punters to spend their cash on them. I will continue to buy them for as long as they continue.

thank you for reminding everyone that unlike most releases, these expanded editions are very, very rare to get and the only way anyone can listen to them AT ALL, is if they are supported financially by US! There are no legions of teens or audiophiles all waiting for the next release to cover for those who wish to Spotify or thelike. My God, how previous can $20 be twice a year to support music that you are clearly interested in?

TheMotownManiac
07-28-2018, 09:50 AM
When she wentbs9lo...LOL

mem1320
07-29-2018, 10:26 AM
That is absolutely bloody fantastic and Susaye sounds wonderful! I haven't even bought this CD yet but I think I will do right now. :D

What else are the girls holding in addition to a copy of the CD?

Ray

daviddh
07-29-2018, 04:59 PM
the new version of Going Down for the Third time is amazing. great track

TomatoTom123
07-30-2018, 07:21 AM
What else are the girls holding in addition to a copy of the CD?

Ray

If I remember correctly Ray it's a copy of The Supremes' Let Yourself Go The '70s Albums Vol. 2!

loganjlr
07-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Quick Questions: I've been listening to the new version of this album on repeat lately, especially the live tracks. I notice Flo sings a little riff during the live version of "I Hear A Symphony" before launching into the chorus again.

Was this improvised? Where Mary / Cindy / Flo encouraged to do this? I just find it odd; I was under the impression that Motown wanted to shift the group toward a solo/Diana-centric project, and even that tiny riff Flo performs seems like such an act of rebellion. Of course this is only my own interpretation, and I am going off the 1970s "vibes" and material which were much more accommodating of shared leads, post-Diana. Even as time went on, Mary's "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" became shorter and shorter.

sup_fan
07-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Quick Questions: I've been listening to the new version of this album on repeat lately, especially the live tracks. I notice Flo sings a little riff during the live version of "I Hear A Symphony" before launching into the chorus again.

Was this improvised? Where Mary / Cindy / Flo encouraged to do this? I just find it odd; I was under the impression that Motown wanted to shift the group toward a solo/Diana-centric project, and even that tiny riff Flo performs seems like such an act of rebellion. Of course this is only my own interpretation, and I am going off the 1970s "vibes" and material which were much more accommodating of shared leads, post-Diana. Even as time went on, Mary's "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" became shorter and shorter.

i think you're reading a bit much into it. i don't believe the girls were under some sort of militaristic regime. yes motown was building things up around diana. but that doesn't mean that M or F were totally irrelevant. go back and listen to the live shows from Copa 65, then roostertail, then copa 67. the overall growth of showmanship is very evident. Ad libs increase, they're more comfortable with songs and routines. Flo seemed to add more of these vocal touches than Mary. There are ad libs in My World is Empty, everyone is adding "oh yeahs" and other touches during you Can't Hurry Love. The comedy routines had grown considerably

brothadc
07-31-2018, 12:53 AM
Is anyone else missing "I Can't Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) - Where Did Our Love Go [[Motown Mashup)" on CD 2 of the set? I see that it's listed as far as purchasing the CDs but it's not included under the MP3s for downloading on Amazon, nor is it available on iTunes. Since the song is not listed on the back cover, I've left it sealed and sent a request to the seller to return it. Is the song on CD 2 and just not listed on the back cover? Is the one I purchased an import that's different than the domestic release? I bought mine on eBay from Import CDs because it was a lower price. What's up?

vgalindo
07-31-2018, 01:58 AM
Is anyone else missing "I Can't Help Myself [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) - Where Did Our Love Go [[Motown Mashup)" on CD 2 of the set? I see that it's listed as far as purchasing the CDs but it's not included under the MP3s for downloading on Amazon, nor is it available on iTunes. Since the song is not listed on the back cover, I've left it sealed and sent a request to the seller to return it. Is the song on CD 2 and just not listed on the back cover? Is the one I purchased an import that's different than the domestic release? I bought mine on eBay from Import CDs because it was a lower price. What's up?
The track list that was first released on Amazon was not the final. We were told there were licensing issues and therefore it was replaced. It is not on any release.

brothadc
07-31-2018, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the info Vgalindo! I did happen to read on the Facebook Expanded Editions page that there were also licensing issues involving the duet with Gladys Knight & The Pips, which resulted with their vocals not being included, but I couldn't find any info anywhere in regards to the Motown Mashup. Good, I can keep my CDs! At one point I thought about asking Gladys how she felt about being included on a new Supremes release, but I never got around to it. No need now!!

Bluebrock
08-01-2018, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the info Vgalindo! I did happen to read on the Facebook Expanded Editions page that there were also licensing issues involving the duet with Gladys Knight & The Pips, which resulted with their vocals not being included, but I couldn't find any info anywhere in regards to the Motown Mashup. Good, I can keep my CDs! At one point I thought about asking Gladys how she felt about being included on a new Supremes release, but I never got around to it. No need now!!
I am not sure she would be very pleased, but it would certainly please the fans. Maybe it could be included on a future release if it was ever cleared for release.

paul_nixon
08-01-2018, 03:45 AM
Jesus, she was joking around laughing.

You say you never heard the big star say such a stupid thing...go listen to the new mix of “Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart,” at the end she says “Ain’t that enough?!” I guess by your standards that was a stupid thing to stay. What a work ethic.

Who knows what part of what tape that was cut and pasted from - it could have come from anywhere

Circa 1824
08-01-2018, 08:10 AM
The big star asks a business question -- "Is that enough?"

The backup gal cries, "I can't do it anymore."

BIG DIFFERENCE

Jaap
08-01-2018, 08:43 AM
The big star asks a business question -- "Is that enough?"

The backup gal cries, "I can't do it anymore."

BIG DIFFERENCE

"Better fade."

paul_nixon
08-01-2018, 08:45 AM
£9.99 with immediate free autorip mp3 download. Yep so now I have 2 downloads available. Any clever ideas? At least the real thing will be here soon [[the CDs).

Wow I better order one then at that price

paul_nixon
08-01-2018, 09:06 AM
I have just pre-ordered a copy from AmazonUK at bargain price of £9.99.

I can only see an older single CD version at that price - I see HMV have it listed for after August 3rd at 9.99

SoulgusUK
08-01-2018, 09:44 AM
I can only see an older single CD version at that price - I see HMV have it listed for after August 3rd at 9.99

Try this link, I hope it works.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supremes-Sing-Holland-Dozier/dp/B07CNC32B8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1533130993&sr=1-1&keywords=supremes+sing+holland+-+dozier+holland+expanded+edition

paul_nixon
08-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Try this link, I hope it works.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supremes-Sing-Holland-Dozier/dp/B07CNC32B8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1533130993&sr=1-1&keywords=supremes+sing+holland+-+dozier+holland+expanded+edition

Excellent that works it threw me they were using the non expanded cover

rovereab
08-01-2018, 01:58 PM
I've just checked my Amazon order confirmation e-mail which states:

The Supremes Sing Holland - Dozier - Holland
The Supremes
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

£20.36
[[or less)
Learn more

On checking my order in their system it now says £9.99. Some price reduction!

bradburger
08-02-2018, 09:43 PM
I pre-ordered mine last week from Amazon UK at the reduced price [[£9.99).

I had an email a couple of days saying it would be in and despatched on August 3rd.

However, I just had the following email saying it will be delayed.

We're writing to let you know that the following items have been unexpectedly delayed:

The Supremes "The Supremes Sing Holland - Dozier - Holland"
Estimated arrival date: August 09 2018 - August 13 2018

One of our aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service but in this case, we've fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Cheers

Paul

rovereab
08-03-2018, 11:37 AM
My copy from Amazon UK was delivered today. Not sure why the hold up for you Paul [[Bradburger). I must say a big thank you to all involved. The booklets are wonderfully informative together with the fantastic pictures and beautifully crafted cover. The mastering is supreme :)

All of this for £9.99!!!!!

Just one request please to those who can make things happen......

Just as we have the You Can't Hurry Love overspill on this album, could we please have the Motown LP box set version of You Keep Me Hangin' On released on the expanded release of Reflections. I have always wanted that version on CD and to coin a phrase from Diana Ross, I'm Still Waiting.

Sincere thanks to all.

mysterysinger
08-03-2018, 01:41 PM
I first ordered the HDH CD set at £13.99 on 10th July - I was able to download the tracks immediately due to autorip. This first set arrived yesterday and was reduced to the "final" price of £9.99 - what a bargain.

I ordered a second set on 28th July when the price went to £9.99 - it's nice to be able to support these releases and to have one set to open and one to keep as new. Obviously that meant I could download again [[but I haven't bothered). This CD set is out for delivery by 8pm tonight lol.

Slight downer is that one of the booklets [[the one that has The Supremes Sing Motown on the cover has a slight ripple - due I think to being forced into such a tight pocket - are they all like that?

Overall - this is a truly wonderful release. We are being spoilt this year - Supremes, Bobby Darin, Spinners, Thelma Houston, Temptations, Eddie Kendricks, Blinky and even more still to be announced. Good time to be a Motown fan.

Philles/Motown Gary
08-03-2018, 02:40 PM
No, mysterysinger, both of my booklets are perfectly smooth and untainted. Sorry to hear that yours is wrinkled. Report it to Amazon and they'll send you a new CD set without charge. They'll also arrange for you to return your defective set at no cost to you. When I had to return my scratched Bobby Darin Motown CD a week or two ago, it had arrived on Friday, the day of release. My new replacement copy was here 3 days later on Monday. You can arrange for the return by simply going into your Amazon account and click on "My Orders". You'll then click on "Returns". It takes two minutes. Amazon will immediately email you a page with a bar code and a postage-free label and address for you to print out and enclose and attach to your package to be returned. Hope this helps.

George Solomon
08-03-2018, 02:44 PM
My copy from Amazon UK was delivered today. Not sure why the hold up for you Paul [[Bradburger). I must say a big thank you to all involved. The booklets are wonderfully informative together with the fantastic pictures and beautifully crafted cover. The mastering is supreme :)

All of this for £9.99!!!!!

Just one request please to those who can make things happen......

Just as we have the You Can't Hurry Love overspill on this album, could we please have the Motown LP box set version of You Keep Me Hangin' On released on the expanded release of Reflections. I have always wanted that version on CD and to coin a phrase from Diana Ross, I'm Still Waiting.

Sincere thanks to all.

We've put out the Motown Story version of "You Keep Me Hangin' On" on CD. I'm pretty sure it was on The Supremes Playlist plus. Am I wrong? I know it's somewhere. Help me somebody...

rovereab
08-03-2018, 03:19 PM
We've put out the Motown Story version of "You Keep Me Hangin' On" on CD. I'm pretty sure it was on The Supremes Playlist plus. Am I wrong? I know it's somewhere. Help me somebody...

George, I recall some discussion about this a while ago where someone mentioned the Playlist version and that it did not have Flo and Mary as prominent as the LP Box version. It would be good to compare the two which I can't as I don't have either of them. Can someone on here do that please?

Thanks.

sup_fan
08-03-2018, 03:53 PM
George, I recall some discussion about this a while ago where someone mentioned the Playlist version and that it did not have Flo and Mary as prominent as the LP Box version. It would be good to compare the two which I can't as I don't have either of them. Can someone on here do that please?

Thanks.

i'd like a totally unedited version of YKMHO. with the intact middle extended chorus, the hard stop ending and the complete, unedited background vocal track

luckyluckyme
08-03-2018, 05:31 PM

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?284-You-Keep-Me-Hanging-On-[[louder-backing-vocals-version)-Supremes&highlight=hanging

marybrewster
08-03-2018, 11:42 PM
thank you for reminding everyone that unlike most releases, these expanded editions are very, very rare to get and the only way anyone can listen to them AT ALL, is if they are supported financially by US! There are no legions of teens or audiophiles all waiting for the next release to cover for those who wish to Spotify or thelike. My God, how previous can $20 be twice a year to support music that you are clearly interested in?

Thank you and thank you original poster!

At $20 these are a STEAL. The booklets alone are worth the purchase price.

Truthfully, if the price was doubled, I still wouldn't even think twice. Especially for a physical Funny Girl Expanded!

marybrewster
08-03-2018, 11:44 PM
i'd like a totally unedited version of YKMHO. with the intact middle extended chorus, the hard stop ending and the complete, unedited background vocal track

That's not asking for much! ;)

mysterysinger
08-04-2018, 10:59 AM
No, mysterysinger, both of my booklets are perfectly smooth and untainted. Sorry to hear that yours is wrinkled. Report it to Amazon and they'll send you a new CD set without charge. They'll also arrange for you to return your defective set at no cost to you. When I had to return my scratched Bobby Darin Motown CD a week or two ago, it had arrived on Friday, the day of release. My new replacement copy was here 3 days later on Monday. You can arrange for the return by simply going into your Amazon account and click on "My Orders". You'll then click on "Returns". It takes two minutes. Amazon will immediately email you a page with a bar code and a postage-free label and address for you to print out and enclose and attach to your package to be returned. Hope this helps.

Ok thanks for your help PMG.

thanxal
08-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Thank you and thank you original poster!

At $20 these are a STEAL. The booklets alone are worth the purchase price.

Truthfully, if the price was doubled, I still wouldn't even think twice. Especially for a physical Funny Girl Expanded!

I couldn’t agree more. And TheMotownManiac gets it! There are no legions of teeny boppers waiting for these. If we don’t support these releases, they will cease.

daviddh
08-04-2018, 12:52 PM
i am not aware of the Motown story version being released. the Playlist version seems different to me

Philles/Motown Gary
08-04-2018, 01:13 PM
Ok thanks for your help PMG.
You're welcome, ms.

TheMotownManiac
08-04-2018, 06:28 PM
I couldn’t agree more. And TheMotownManiac gets it! There are no legions of teeny boppers waiting for these. If we don’t support these releases, they will cease.

Not everyone can afford $20 - but most of us can. Those who can and don’t support are poopie faces! Nothing* more annoying to me than folks who dig the music but don’t support for nit picky reasons.

*except Republicans

luckyluckyme
08-04-2018, 08:08 PM
George,
I was looking over the booklets while giving the set another listen and something caught my eye that I've not yet seen addressed here-
The replica 1967 tour book [[pg 21) Program
[[Subject to change)
lists Let Me Love You Medley
What songs were part of that medley?

TheMotownManiac
08-04-2018, 09:25 PM
I’m not George, but it’s Let There Be Love, Let Me Love You, Spring Is Here, Love Is A Many Splendored Thing

marybrewster
08-05-2018, 01:41 AM
I’m not George, but it’s Let There Be Love, Let Me Love You, Spring Is Here, Love Is A Many Splendored Thing

The next question is: are there any live recordings of this? I don't ever recall seeing this as a part of their set list, and certainly don't ever recall seeing it on anything that's been released.

daviddh
08-05-2018, 09:29 AM
ok I am ready for Reflections now.
George, was there any thought into a new mix of Heatwave or Same Old Song, both have good Ross vocals but seem weaker than the other tracks.

144man
08-11-2018, 06:27 AM
Has anyone else noticed the error/ misprint on the back cover of the EU edition of the CD where it says "...all of Disc 3 previously unreleased" instead of Disc 2? Is this mistake also on the US edition?

vgalindo
08-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Has anyone else noticed the error/ misprint on the back cover of the EU edition of the CD where it says "...all of Disc 3 previously unreleased" instead of Disc 2? Is this mistake also on the US edition?
Yes. George explained about the miss print. He said something about even after all the proof reading and corrections it printed this way. I don't remember the exact quote but something to that.

George Solomon
08-11-2018, 01:49 PM
Let There Be Love Medley [[known as the Let Me Love You Medley) is on Live at the Roostertail on the I Hear A Symphony Expanded. They also sang it at the Copa but it was a bit of a mess and a let down after the Roostertail performance. We actually had included it but swapped it with Queen Of The House. I would have loved to have done remixes of Same Old Song and Heat Wave but there just wasn't room. I love doing fresh mixes of everything. I love discovering other elements and longer fades etc.

Philles/Motown Gary
08-11-2018, 02:28 PM
I would have loved to have done remixes of Same Old Song and Heat Wave but there just wasn't room. I love doing fresh mixes of everything. I love discovering other elements and longer fades etc.
And we love it, too, George!

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
08-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Let There Be Love Medley [[known as the Let Me Love You Medley) is on Live at the Roostertail on the I Hear A Symphony Expanded. They also sang it at the Copa but it was a bit of a mess and a let down after the Roostertail performance. We actually had included it but swapped it with Queen Of The House. I would have loved to have done remixes of Same Old Song and Heat Wave but there just wasn't room. I love doing fresh mixes of everything. I love discovering other elements and longer fades etc.

Surely there could be room on Reflections Expanded but I am sure you guess already have a plan made out ;-)

danman869
08-13-2018, 01:36 PM

George [[and all), forgive me, but I don’t recall ever hearing/having the Supremes singing “Love Is A Many Splendored Thing” as part of a medley at the Roostertail in 1966 or elsewhere. They sing “Let There Be Love” on the Roostertail set included on IHAS:EE, but...I don’t hear Splendored or any of the other songs mentioned as part of that medley. What’s the story?

George Solomon
08-13-2018, 05:49 PM
The medley actually consists of "Let There Be Love" which goes into a song called "I Love You" [[they sing WE love you) and at the end of the medley they sing "cause love is a many splendored thing. So they don't actually sing the song just that one line.

rovereab
08-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Just searched Youtube for the Motown Story version of You Keep Me Hangin On and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-3aguVeydY

This version does seem to have more prominent background vocals when compared to the Play List version.

Also, interestingly, if you listen the the music playing behind Diana's intro you can hear, what sounds like, the alternate drum backing track used for the alternative version released on the Expanded HDH album.

WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance
08-21-2018, 12:57 PM

Hello George! I have a question about that first, original version of "It's The Same Old Song" on the A-Go-Go set; there are points in the song where it's just down to the bass and that heartbeat bass drum. Am I imagining it or is the bass in a totally different key during those "intermissions" than it is on the rest of the song?

It's the darndest thing that this song has a very rudimentary sound and yet it's spellbinding. I absolutely love that thing to pieces. So much that I can rarely get past it before playing it about 6, 7 times in a row. It's just something about the rawness that is fascinating.

George Solomon
08-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Hello George! I have a question about that first, original version of "It's The Same Old Song" on the A-Go-Go set; there are points in the song where it's just down to the bass and that heartbeat bass drum. Am I imagining it or is the bass in a totally different key during those "intermissions" than it is on the rest of the song?

It's the darndest thing that this song has a very rudimentary sound and yet it's spellbinding. I absolutely love that thing to pieces. So much that I can rarely get past it before playing it about 6, 7 times in a row. It's just something about the rawness that is fascinating.

Crazy that you should ask this. I thought the same thing but gave up thinking it was just my imagination. Ultimately I thought it was such a minor point and didn't interfere with the release.

sup_fan
08-21-2018, 05:58 PM

interesting! i know the team doesn't want to release anything that would come across as "a mess." A few did make it onto Copa - Nothing But heartaches is a bit rough, as is Tonight. What happened with Love?

are there other tracks between Copa 65, Roostertail and Copa 67 that were performed but cut from the X Editions?

I love hearing how the live tracks evolve. Like how they continually added comedy bits to Queen, or how the spiced things up a bit on you Can't Hurry Love by Copa 67. very interesting

08-21-2018, 08:32 PM
Crazy that you should ask this. I thought the same thing but gave up thinking it was just my imagination. Ultimately I thought it was such a minor point and didn't interfere with the release.

I'm chuckling because I swear, I thought I was loosing what was left of my mind each time I played that song! At least now I know, there is something there, and I'm very, VERY glad the decision was made to leave it as is. Sometimes, it's little quirks like this that makes a song more interesting and enjoyable.

144man
08-22-2018, 03:53 PM
I love the way that the percussion on "You Keep Me Hangin' On [[extended)" sort of transforms the track into a cha cha.

08-23-2018, 03:04 AM
I love the way that the percussion on "You Keep Me Hangin' On [[extended)" sort of transforms the track into a cha cha.

I think I like this new version even more than the officially released version. I have a feeling H-D-H were experimenting with this beat. It's similar [[not quite the same) to the beat heard on Chris Clark's "Love's Gone Bad". They also had another beat they were trying out on a Kim Weston song, "I've Got A Weak Heart" that I never heard on any other H-D-H song.

I also love the bass on this extended version. It does some slick moves that in places that are just so funky.

thesupremes
08-26-2018, 06:31 AM
Mine arrives Friday too. Yes, even though I've had it for over 6 months I still buy some. Every sale helps. LOL.
For those who are going to do the digital download, please check to see if the digital booklet is there. It might not be there the first day. [[June 29) But SHOULD be there every day after. So please confirm before you buy. And many thanks to everyone. We hope you love it.

Hey there, George. Two months later, and the digital booklet still isn't available on iTunes. And I still haven't opened my CD. :confused:

daviddh
08-26-2018, 10:24 AM
this is still one of my favorite Supremes albums. I hope we don't have to wait a year for the next release. looking forward to Reflections.
more fresh mixes....Going Down For The Third Time is the bomb. love it

sansradio
08-26-2018, 10:27 AM
Hey there, George. Two months later, and the digital booklet still isn't available on iTunes. And I still haven't opened my CD. :confused:

This. I haven’t downloaded it primarily for that reason.

George Solomon
08-26-2018, 06:31 PM
We have brought this to Universal's attention repeatedly with no response. Eventually you throw up your hands...

jobeterob
08-28-2018, 12:47 AM
Buy the cd! For me, it’s worth it just for the versions of YKMHO and Remove this doubt