PDA

View Full Version : Come see about me. Isolated vocals

test

luke
04-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Love this. Loud and clear! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OrzVnHnI1SI

marv2
04-22-2018, 03:27 PM
Beautiful, gorgeous harmonies. This is what made them Supreme! No Andantes, no studio tricks, just pure vocal talent as a group! They were always at their best when the three of them sang together they way it should have always been!

luke
04-22-2018, 03:40 PM
Absolutely. I was thinking the exact same thing! The magic that made them the Supremes.

marv2
04-22-2018, 03:44 PM
Absolutely. I was thinking the exact same thing! The magic that made them the Supremes.

Motown should have never disturbed their original sound. They were able to create such flawless harmonies without a fourth member......incredible.

luke
04-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Yep and looked what happened after Flo and HDH left.

MOTOWNLYNDA
04-22-2018, 11:17 PM
Beautiful, gorgeous harmonies. This is what made them Supreme! No Andantes, no studio tricks, just pure vocal talent as a group! They were always at their best when the three of them sang together they way it should have always been!

I totally agree.

detmotownguy
04-24-2018, 09:49 AM
Three distinct voices blending together in perfection. They just had that something special.

marv2
04-24-2018, 02:57 PM
Yep and looked what happened after Flo and HDH left.

They were back to struggling to get hits.

BigAl
04-25-2018, 09:45 AM
HDH's departure really set the company to floundering for a while. By that time DRATS was largely being regarded by Gordy and the Powers That Be as a springboard for Diane's eventual solo career. Without top-grade, guaranteed, HDH material it was a tough search to find something that worked as well — something that, in my opinion, was never really found. It was just a matter of hit/miss and Diane wasn't going solo without a major swan song with DRATS to push her along. It took months and months before, in desperation, the decision was made to extract "Someday" from her log of solo recordings and call it DRATS in order to get that elusive final mega-hit. My recollection is that it was being reserved for use as her debut solo single but they just weren't going to wait any longer for a DRATS to get her show on the road. It certainly would have been a better first release for her than "Reach Out and Touch," but it might have left The Supremes in the dust and I believe the company at that time still wanted to see both acts succeed.

marv2
04-25-2018, 11:03 AM
HDH's departure really set the company to floundering for a while. By that time DRATS was largely being regarded by Gordy and the Powers That Be as a springboard for Diane's eventual solo career. Without top-grade, guaranteed, HDH material it was a tough search to find something that worked as well — something that, in my opinion, was never really found. It was just a matter of hit/miss and Diane wasn't going solo without a major swan song with DRATS to push her along. It took months and months before, in desperation, the decision was made to extract "Someday" from her log of solo recordings and call it DRATS in order to get that elusive final mega-hit. My recollection is that it was being reserved for use as her debut solo single but they just weren't going to wait any longer for a DRATS to get her show on the road. It certainly would have been a better first release for her than "Reach Out and Touch," but it might have left The Supremes in the dust and I believe the company at that time still wanted to see both acts succeed.

Did you like the vocals to "Come See About Me"?

BigAl
04-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Did you like the vocals to "Come See About Me"?
What begins a thread isn't necessarily where it ultimately goes, but, yes...back on topic, I've aways loved the simplicity of the vocal arrangement for "Come See About Me." Even with the instrumental track, it didn't have that over-produced sound. There was more of that on the Sam Cooke and Rodgers & Hart albums, as well as well as "The Happening." It showed how the vocals didn't need to be filled in with lots of stuff. Too bad we didn't get to hear more of that. I loved it.

marv2
04-25-2018, 12:38 PM
What begins a thread isn't necessarily where it ultimately goes, but, yes...back on topic, I've aways loved the simplicity of the vocal arrangement for "Come See About Me." Even with the instrumental track, it didn't have that over-produced sound. There was more of that on the Sam Cooke and Rodgers & Hart albums, as well as well as "The Happening." It showed how the vocals didn't need to be filled in with lots of stuff. Too bad we didn't get to hear more of that. I loved it.

The Supremes could have stopped after "Come See About Me" and they would still be remembered today in my opinion.

arr&bee
04-25-2018, 01:02 PM
They had great harmony no question.

franjoy56
04-27-2018, 02:02 AM
Back in my arms again. Nithing but hartaches and lilaiimh were also supremes only vocsls that werr great records as well

marv2
04-28-2018, 08:29 PM
Back in my arms again. Nithing but hartaches and lilaiimh were also supremes only vocsls that werr great records as well

Then those albums they did in the late sixties were just down hill and could not compare to the work the original group did.