PDA

View Full Version : Artists in multiple groups at Motown

test

lockhartgary
04-13-2018, 09:40 PM
First of all, I searched the past posts but did not find any answer. Apologies if there was actually a prior post or posts that address this.

I was wondering about guys or gals who were in more than 1 group affiliated with Motown. Here's what I come up with:

Sandra Tilley - Velvelettes and Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
C.P. Spencer - Originals, Spinners and Voice Masters
Dennis Edwards - Contours and Temptations
Betty Kelly - Velvelettes and Martha and the Vandellas
Richard Street - Monitors and Temptations
G.C Cameron - Spinners and Temptations
Theo Peoples - Four Tops and Temptations

Surely there are others.

luke
04-13-2018, 10:06 PM
Do Bill and Ron count?

marv2
04-13-2018, 10:14 PM
Florence Ballard performed with the Marvelettes temporarily.

marybrewster
04-14-2018, 12:59 AM
One might argue that Marlene from the Andantes stepped in for Flo in the Supremes.

marybrewster
04-14-2018, 01:04 AM
This might be a stretch, but Lois Reeves was in MR&V and also Quiet Elegance. Not a Motown group per se, but were managed and toured with the Temptations. Does that count lol.

Nothing But Soul
04-14-2018, 06:48 AM
Joe Stubbs was briefly a member of both the Contours [[he sang lead on "Just a Little Misunderstanding") and the Originals [[he sang lead on "Goodnight Irene"). Before Motown, he was a member of the Falcons [[he sang lead on "You're So Fine"), and after Motown, he was a member of 100 Proof [[Aged in Soul).

theboyfromxtown
04-14-2018, 08:11 AM
The Darnells

keith_hughes
04-14-2018, 12:10 PM
The Pirates [[I think they and the Darnells belong in a different list, along with Eivets Rednow!)

robb_k
04-14-2018, 12:44 PM
First of all, I searched the past posts but did not find any answer. Apologies if there was actually a prior post or posts that address this.

I was wondering about guys or gals who were in more than 1 group affiliated with Motown. Here's what I come up with:

Sandra Tilley - Velvelettes and Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
C.P. Spencer - Originals, Spinners and Voice Masters
Dennis Edwards - Contours and Temptations
Betty Kelly - Velvelettes and Martha and the Vandellas
Richard Street - Monitors and Temptations
G.C Cameron - Spinners and Temptations
Theo Peoples - Four Tops and Temptations
Surely there are others.
Ann Bogan - Andantes and Marvelettes. Before Motown, she was lead of The Challengers and Challengers III on Gwen Gordy's and Harvey Fuqua's Tri-Phi Records, which was part of The Motown Family, having offices at 2648 Grand Blvd, and also recording in "The Snakepit.

Kim Weston - Wright Specials and Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston [[if Duos Duets) count loosely as "groups")

If we're counting Anna, and Try-Phi/Harvey/HPC in The Motown Family,

David Ruffin - Voice Masters and Temptations, and David and Jimmy Ruffin [[Ruffin Brothers)

Harvey Fuqua - Spinners, Five Quails/Quails, Harvey & Ann [[Bogan)

Johnny Bristol - Johnny & Jackey and Supremes [[on "some Day We'll Be Together")

Saundra Mallette/Edwards - Saundra Mallette & Vandellas and Elgins

Mike Valvano - Mike & Modifiers and The Hornets

lockhartgary
04-14-2018, 03:50 PM
I knew you guys would deliver. Some of these I never knew about and others I had forgotten.

robb_k
04-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Johnny Dawson, Cleo "Duke" Miller, Robert Fleming, and Norman McLean - Downbeats and Elgins

Richard Street was in The Johnny Mitchell - led Majestics first signed to Motown in 1963, before all the former Majestics quit the group, and Street kept the group name, and recruited the future Monitors, and the group's name was changed. So, Street was in 3 Motown groups and also in the pre-Motown Distants.

midnightman
04-16-2018, 08:14 PM
Ron & Bill and Flo being in the Marvelettes during a tour don't count.

luke
04-17-2018, 11:01 AM
Ron and Bill were not in the Marvelettes!

midnightman
04-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Ron and Bill were not in the Marvelettes!

You got reading problems. I mention Florence! READ IT AGAIN!