PDA

View Full Version : The Four Tops cover Todd Rundgren [[along with an original composition)

test

midnightman
04-08-2018, 02:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTTfsNI0Y8k

If I'm not mistaken, they were the first act to cover Rundgren material prior to the Isley Brothers...

RanRan79
04-08-2018, 03:45 PM
This cut always makes me move. I dig Rundgren too.

theboyfromxtown
04-08-2018, 04:16 PM
I loved this track. Brilliant production

PeaceNHarmony
04-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Always loved it. AND - honestly - listened to my French gatefold reissue of NPI today in the car. You say how, I'll say when!

TomatoTom123
04-08-2018, 09:11 PM
This track is such a groove, I love it!!!!

I wish this album had brought The Tops more success, it is so excellent. And this cut is also testament to the brilliance of Frank Wilson!!!!

I guess you could say it is The Tops' "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone" if there ever was one... :rolleyes:

RanRan79
04-09-2018, 01:09 AM
Right on Tom, Frank Wilson has to get his props for a job well done.

PeaceNHarmony
04-09-2018, 05:50 AM
This track is such a groove, I love it!!!!

I wish this album had brought The Tops more success, it is so excellent. And this cut is also testament to the brilliance of Frank Wilson!!!!

I guess you could say it is The Tops' "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone" if there ever was one... :rolleyes:
Interesting, Tom - I never thought of it that way but I have to agree. I'd love to hear the story behind the making of HM/WGGYAM - who thought of the cover, the pairing with HM, etc. It was a big turntable hit here in NJ. I love the LP in it's entirety as well.

TomatoTom123
04-10-2018, 08:33 PM
Interesting, Tom - I never thought of it that way but I have to agree. I'd love to hear the story behind the making of HM/WGGYAM - who thought of the cover, the pairing with HM, etc. It was a big turntable hit here in NJ. I love the LP in it's entirety as well.

Yes indeed PNH!!! I guess they wrote the "Hey Man" bit deliberately to go with a cover of "We Gotta Get You A Woman"? I mean, would "Hey Man" stand up as a song on its own? I love it though, the opening of "Hey Man" bit is my favourite in the song :cool:

midnightman
04-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Yeah it would make sense to them to write it to deliberately add the cover because Todd's song basically was the same type of song. The Tops just decided to make it funkier and more street. :)