PDA

View Full Version : Back Stabbers vs Smiling Faces Sometimes

test

lockhartgary
04-01-2018, 08:04 AM
As I have mentioned previously, I am in the process of re-reading Billboard's Book of Number One Hits. Yesterday, I read the story behind the O'Jays hit "Back Stabbers".

John Whitehead, one of the songs co-writers, goes on to say, "And you gotta remember, at that time, in 1972, records tended to be more on the fantasy side--'Jack went up the hill for Jill.' I think 'Back Stabbers' was the first song to actually tell it like it was. It was something you could put on and play for your friends if that's what you wanted to say to them."

After reading the story, I thought about "Smiling Faces Sometimes" and how thematically similar the 2 songs were. Then I remembered that "Smiling Faces Sometimes" predated "Back Stabbers" and "Back Stabbers" actually uses the lyrics "smiling faces, smiling faces sometimes...[[tell lies)" in the refrain near the end of the song.

I wonder how Motown and Whitfield/Strong felt about "Back Stabbers"?

marv2
04-01-2018, 09:31 AM
I can almost imagine that they liked the song without comparing it to their composition. There was another song that even pre-dated "Smiling Faces" called "Keep An Eye" from 1968 I believe. The theme is so common to the human experience that I doubt any of those songs inspired others directly.

midnightman
04-01-2018, 10:48 AM
I don't think Motown think nothing of it. And why should they? Sure Motown and PI were competing but in the '70s, PI had them beat with the O'Jays. The Tempts were actually at their commercial last legs when the O'Jays blew up so it's no contest.

But I know this is not what the topic is about. As Marv said, this topic had BEEN discussed as far back as the late '60s.

lockhartgary
04-01-2018, 01:49 PM
I don't think Motown think nothing of it. And why should they? Sure Motown and PI were competing but in the '70s, PI had them beat with the O'Jays. The Tempts were actually at their commercial last legs when the O'Jays blew up so it's no contest.

But I know this is not what the topic is about. As Marv said, this topic had BEEN discussed as far back as the late '60s.

I should have searched before I posted this. Apologies.

soulster
04-01-2018, 03:09 PM
As I have mentioned previously, I am in the process of re-reading Billboard's Book of Number One Hits. Yesterday, I read the story behind the O'Jays hit "Back Stabbers".

John Whitehead, one of the songs co-writers, goes on to say, "And you gotta remember, at that time, in 1972, records tended to be more on the fantasy side--'Jack went up the hill for Jill.' I think 'Back Stabbers' was the first song to actually tell it like it was. It was something you could put on and play for your friends if that's what you wanted to say to them."

McFadden has his timeline all screwed up. "Jack & Jill" came six years after "Backstabbers".

midnightman
04-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Soulster? Are you serious? LOL

He didn't mean it literally. He meant back in those days, before Backstabbers [[and some of the Motown material), no one really addressed what he wrote about in Backstabbers.

That's all he was saying.

He wasn't talking about the literal timeline.

soulster
04-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Soulster? Are you serious? LOL

He didn't mean it literally. He meant back in those days, before Backstabbers [[and some of the Motown material), no one really addressed what he wrote about in Backstabbers.

That's all he was saying.

He wasn't talking about the literal timeline.

I'm OCD like that! LOL!

TomatoTom123
04-01-2018, 09:46 PM
I have always noticed the similarities in both songs, both classics of course. And I always listen out for the "Smiling Faces" reference at the end of "Back Stabbers"... :)

In fact whenever I hear the intro to "Back Stabbers" I always think it's an early 70s Norman-produced Temptations track [["Law Of The Land" normally) and then it's not! :rolleyes:

Motown Eddie
04-02-2018, 06:21 AM

After reading the story, I thought about "Smiling Faces Sometimes" and how thematically similar the 2 songs were. Then I remembered that "Smiling Faces Sometimes" predated "Back Stabbers" and "Back Stabbers" actually uses the lyrics "smiling faces, smiling faces sometimes...[[tell lies)" in the refrain near the end of the song.

I wonder how Motown and Whitfield/Strong felt about "Back Stabbers"?

I strongly disagree with John Whitehead's comments about The O'Jays' "Back Stabbers". First off, "Smiling Face Sometimes" was released a year before [[and the song is even quoted just before the fade-out of "Back Stabbers"). Also coming out a year before is Marvin Gaye's classic What's Going On LP which raised the bar for '70s message songs. And we can't forget The Temptations' 'psychedelic soul' era beginning with 1968's "Cloud Nine" which opened up new ground for Soul Songs to 'tell it like it is'.

arr&bee
04-03-2018, 11:33 AM
You do know that[smiling faces]was a temps song,but when eddie left it was pulled,both songs are good so it's hard to pick one.